Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How is the Hopey Changy thing working out for you?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is the Hopey Changy thing working out for you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is the Hopey Changy thing working out for you?
    Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 4:04pm
Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 4:59pm
We all know what we've gotten and what we'll get if Obama is re-elected. On the other hand, we have no idea what is to come with Romney. Now, for me, that creates a dilemma. Not happy with Obama's stance on illegals nor his catering to the minorities. Not happy with his support of some of the unions who are getting too big for their britches either. (the teachers for example). Don't like taking a back seat to the minorities with his thinking. Don't know if Romney will continue the Republican two-step and cater to the rich only while hanging the middle and lower class out to dry either. Quite frankly, I don't know if Romney has the smarts to be President. I'm still on the fence on who to give my vote to and it's getting late in the game. Getting ready to retire and don't want either party screwing with what I have put into the system for 51 years (in 5 more years that is) Gotta a nice health plan and don't want Obama screwing with that either. Guess I don't like either one of them that much. All of this- JMO of course.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 6:25pm
Vet,
First, I am inferring from your post that you believe that only those two (Obama and Romney) have a chance of winning the presidency.  I think that you are correct in that assessment.

Next, I think that it is crucial that you make a choice, even if you find neither candidate to be ideal.  It will serve no purpose to "sit this one out" or to make a "protest vote" for a minor party candidate who has absolutely no chance of winning.  All that can do is possibly allow the worse of the two major candidates to win.

All that I can suggest is that you try to cut through all of the BS on the issues that are most important to our nation as a whole economically (and there is a lot), try to ignore all of the irrelevant BS, hymn singing and mudslingiing that really doesn't matter, and then vote accordingly.

It is likely that the candidate that will be best for our nation as a whole economically, will likely be best for you and your family in the long run.  This will likely be true, even if it seems that it may not be best for you in the short term.

This is my honest opinion, given to you as a friend.  You can, of course, heed it or ignore it...but please at least consider it.  It is what I have done.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 11:47am
Hey all you Republicans!!! Gotta rally for Romney and Ryan in West Chester tonight at 7. Got KID ROCK-----WOW! Got Johnny Boehner and Portman. Speaking of Boehner and Portman......can anyone tell me what Boehner and Portman have done for all of you folks who made the decision for them to represent us in SW Ohio? Seems to me that both of them hang around the bigger doggies waiting for that "pat on the head showing approval" from higher ranking members of their party. I've asked this question many times and have directed it to the ones who seem to just love these two politicians, but for the life of me, I can't recall ANYTHING they have done to date since being in office. Now, for Boehner, that dates back to the 80's when he was a West Chester trustee. Don't know what Portman has done to get where he's at. Anything with any substance from these two on the local front? Anything nationally? IF.....IF none of you can think of a major contribution from either of these guys, why in the world do you keep returning them to office? Both are in the news occasionally but the story is never really earth-shattering. I am interested in why the Repub supporters are so fascinated with these two.

Conversely.....

Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that there are members of the Dem Party that do the same thing but you really can't take the Dem Party seriously around here as they haven't fielded a competent, serious, known candidate for ANY office in decades. Wouldn't win in this area if they actually found a quality candidate anyway. Repubs are too entrenched here and that's not necessarily a good thing having one party domination......for any of us. No checks and balances here.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
digger-2 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digger-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 1:08pm
Obama = increased size of federal government
Obama = increased federal debt
Obama = more stifling EPA regulations
Obama = more disasters like the Libyan embassy cover-up
Obama = more class and race warfare
Obama = more liberal double-speak
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 1:21pm
Vet,

For conservatives I think you may be asking the wrong question regarding Portman and Boehner.  Those in favor or larger gov't can point to the earmarks they bring to their area, the gov't programs they support to give more goodies to their constituency.  I think you get my drift.  Portman and Boehner haven't "given me" anything.  I support them for several reasons two of which being they keep the gov't out of my business and are pro-life.  Right now my business is discussing how we are going to deal with the higher tax rates that will affect our employees becuase of the payroll tax going up at the end of the year not to mention the higher health care costs I'm personally facing because of the Affordable Care Act.  Sometimes i feel safer when Congress isn't doing anything.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Observer Observer wrote:

Vet,

For conservatives I think you may be asking the wrong question regarding Portman and Boehner.  Those in favor or larger gov't can point to the earmarks they bring to their area, the gov't programs they support to give more goodies to their constituency.  I think you get my drift.  Portman and Boehner haven't "given me" anything.  I support them for several reasons two of which being they keep the gov't out of my business and are pro-life.  Right now my business is discussing how we are going to deal with the higher tax rates that will affect our employees becuase of the payroll tax going up at the end of the year not to mention the higher health care costs I'm personally facing because of the Affordable Care Act.  Sometimes i feel safer when Congress isn't doing anything.

Observer, thank you for the response. Guess I was looking for specifics so that I could understand if either Boehner or Portman were giving lip service to the people or actually improving the lives of all of us here in SW Ohio. I was looking for specific legislation introduced that would improve our specific area.

The higher costs for your business sounds familiar. My employer helped themselves out on cost a few years ago by requiring we employees to pay more of the premium for our dental and health coverage. My deductions are around $330 a month for health and around $87 a month for dental. This is on top of what my employer pays in monthly premiums to the providers. I gladly pay these deductions as I would have been bankrupt years ago without the coverage due to my wife's severe health issues.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 7:58pm
Observer,

I far as I know, Boehner does not request or accept earmarks.  On another note about 2 yrs ago, I request help from Boehners office and was promptly given assistance that resolved my issue.

As far as helping Middletown as anyone in downtown gone to Boehner to request assistance, if they have I have heard of this. 

PacmanCool
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 10:11pm
The irritating thing is that while Boehner doesn't ask for or receive earmarks (of course, the area he and his cronies live in don't need no stinkin earmarks) he votes to approve federal budgets that are loaded with earmarks. Asinine. I understand that he may be trying to make a name for himself but it's shocking for him to vote to approve budgets that allow our tax dollars to go somewhere else while never seeing that any of it come back here.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:57am
Again, any Boehner/Portman supporters want to list the accomplishments of both since they have been in office and please feel free to list the reasons you see these two as valuable assets in representing you in the area.

If not able to list any accomplishments, please list the reasons you keep putting them back in office? Is it because they are Republicans, name recognition only, or do you know some appealing things about them that some do not know?
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:18am

Good morning all.  As a Boehner supporter I’ll try and throw out a few pieces of legislation real quick.  Exposed the house banking scandal  which resulted in the closing the House Bank, exposed the "dine-and-dash" practices at the House Restaurant, exposed drug sales and cash-for-stamps deals at the House Post Office.  Played a key role in the Congressional Accountability Act, Authored and passed the Freedom to Farm Act ( I believe this killed some of the unneeded subsidies in the prior Farm Bills), Authored the bill establishing private school choice programs, Authored No Child Left Behind (which many on here like to use the laws scoring to hold our schools accountable), Authored the Pension Protection Act, upon becoming Speaker did away with all Earmarks in Congress or House of Representatives (I can’t remember if it was both or just the House).  I’m sure there are other more obscure bills he did much on. 

Overall I just like Boehner personally, have supported him for years and find him to be a good man that cares and does things for the right reasons.  I know that’s not how people see him “publically” when he appears on TV shows or on the stump but if you run into him at the Meadows (as often happens) I suspect you’ll find him the way I describe.  I imagine after having been in Congress for so many years we could go over his career highlights or lowlights but at the end of the day people’s opinions are already well formed…. they either like him or don’t.  If you don’t we could list all the good things and you still wouldn’t think he’d done a thing and vice versa.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:56am
Observer....thank you for the list of accomplishments from Boehner. You are the first to offer an overview if his political acheivements over the years.

Gotta a question for those with a great memory.....

Didn't Boehner, years ago, pass out literature or have a little something something goin' on on the floor of the House concerning PAC money or am I delusional on this?

And yes, you're 100% correct observer.......nothing you could say or present will ever sway me from disliking the man as much as I do. Just think he's another West Chester/country club snob who was born into the silver spoon segment of society........Portman too......everything comfortably laid out for them in life from birth to the grave. Got no respect for that.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 11:13am
He passed out checks to fellow members of the House from tobacco company Brown and Williamson. FTA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boehner#Connections_to_lobbyists

The citation also reads:
"A September 2010 New York Times story said Boehner was "Tightly Bound to Lobbyists" and "He maintains especially tight ties with a circle of lobbyists and former aides representing some of the nation’s biggest businesses, including Goldman Sachs, Google, Citigroup, R.J. Reynolds, MillerCoors and UPS."
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 11:36am
Vet, I thought I recall the Boehner['s family ran a bar and he worked there as a youth?  Doesnt sounds like silver spoon upbringing to me.

Anyway, all these politicians are bought and paid for.  None are immune from donor cash and donor influence.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:18pm
"...none are immune" but some more than others.

forgot to mention what Boehner regards as his greatest accomplishment in 20+ years of service: "No Child Left Behind Act" - regarded as the greatest intrusion of the federal government in local education - ever.

another of his accomplishments include the unfunded Medicare Part D act (costs of which go directly to the deficit) - regarded as the largest increase in entitlement spending in over 30 years.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:44pm
Part D boggled hte mind -- why did Bush feel the need to do that?  A liberal-like giveaway that was not paid for.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 9:49am
N B - it only boggles the minds of those who underestimate the power of the pharmaceutical industry.

Bush-Boehner-GOP simply accommodated their real constituency.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

Vet, I thought I recall the Boehner['s family ran a bar and he worked there as a youth?  Doesnt sounds like silver spoon upbringing to me.

Anyway, all these politicians are bought and paid for.  None are immune from donor cash and donor influence.

Ahh, but Neil, how about the founder/owner of a steel fabricator place who turned the business over to the son and, I believe, he ran it into the ground in a decade or two. How about the owner of a carpet business who turned the business over to the son, and it folded either by a failure to maintain or by choice through retirement. How about an insurance agency on Breile. Already set up by the dad and turned over to the son when he graduated from college with that business degree. Walked right in to the Presidency of the company. Examples of what I was referring to as having a "silver spoon" upbringing. Didn't have to work up to the position. Just show up and occupy the chair. How about the dad of a well-known family in town, in Human Resources at Armco, getting the son a "job" in safety, walking into the mill in a cakewalk type of job? I call it silver spoon when you don't come into the place and work your way up the ladder. Gotta earn it to get respect, don't you? When you don't have to apply for the job and get it on credentials, but rather have it handed to you, it is silver spooning it. JMO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic