FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MAY BOND & LEVY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

I don't know the numbers but I assume an argument can be made that the maintenance and heating/air cost of the existing buildings is too high.  I hear Vail is a train wreck.  And I don't think the case for new construction is academic performance.  Vet, you're taking one comment Dr. Price made years ago and rehashing it over and over.  There are valid reasons to building new --- just like you had valid reasons for voting "yes" on the Senior Center levy.

Bill, the comments from Price are still valid. The message that new schools would deliver better performance is still mentioned here and there. It is still a buzz phrase with some new building supporters. The 45 million, approved by the taxpayers, was not money well spent as to results to date. It still is a problem. Still needs to be addressed. THAT is why I keep rehashing it. IMO, if what Price said, and what was sold to the public is left to die, and the voters aren't constantly reminded that the new elementary school idea did not yield what was suggested, the school board/levy supporters will keep throwing the same crap at the voters everytime they want to upgrade the facilities, hoping the voters will have forgotten past indicretions. Gotta keep voters refreshed on past bond levy results with the hope that the voters will not make the same mistake twice. Might be wishful thinking though.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 9:04am
It appears the the pro-levy group have been taking their notes from Springboro. Instead of working with the community for a solution that would keep taxes low for the property owners, and provide what is needed for the students. You would rather make personal attacks and accusations of people who disagree with your stance. 
And if the school levy fails, you will be back again, and again spending money on a campaign for a new school, until the community gets tired of voting it down that finally passes it. A classic Springboro technique. 

I for the life of me don't understand why you would tear down a school, instead of selling it to someone in who can renovate it and put it to good use. The Superintendent Gary Meyer wanted to tear down Springboro Elementary School  which was built in 1903 to build a new school in its place. Instead the community rose up, and said they would rather have it renovated, than to get rid of the old historic high school which has so much history in the community. 

I believe the same thing can be done with the existing middle school, instead of looking at everything that needs done, why not focus on the major issues of the building and bring it up to code? If the schools were to come to the community with a plan to remodel, and add on to existing schools, I guarantee you the levy will pass. 

We should work with what we have, instead of build what we can not afford. The economy has hit Middletown hard, there are hundreds of foreclosures everywhere. And if this levy were to pass, I guarantee you, that the foreclosure rate will only go up, because the residents of Middletown are barley making ends meet. 

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 9:26am
thanx Mr.F for your input
?ing V Vet's backround and caring about the issues is a non-factor
he qualifies by every criteria mentioned
don't always agree with him, however glad that he is around

Vail--time 2 go, unfortunately in some ways that Wade  E goes with it
test score improvement will b slow and hopefully steady--we all know y
wrestling arena? come on--get real
Verity is bad also
Middie Pride program seems 2 b working well @ the primary level--the youngest will bring about the proper change
unfortunately a couple of generations have been lost
high school is supposedly getting better--good reports on the new principal, super and Mr.Ison
where would the new bball court b, and plans?(priorities lol)

expensive plan--bad time 2 ask for $$(is it ever a good time?)
plan does not create necessary geographical balance in our community imo

former downtown /school is a good area--a bad area
make up your mind!

kan u tell that i went 2 school here?
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 12:07pm
"Since 1999, Local tax dollars spent per pupil in Ohio have increased by more than 75% while student achievement has flat-lined. Spending money without focus on results has left Ohio with a broken system. We need to fix it." John Kasich

Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 1:41pm
1999 was 14 years ago.  How much of that 75% is the accumulated result of modest pay increases (per contract) for staff as well as all the federally mandated staff that are there because of some federal law about mainstreaming or No Child Left Behind? How many aides are there to sit in a room all day while assigned to ONE handicapped student?

Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 2:06pm
I cannot respond to all the comments by all posters on this thread, but would like to make several points as to why, in my opinion, the Middletown community needs and should support a new middle school and a renovated/expanded high school.

1. Every child in Middletown deserves a quality education. This right is in the Ohio Constitution  It also makes sense. Investing in public education is the best investment that taxpayers can make for the community. If we don't provide a good education to give every child a chance to succeed, we will pay for it later in police, ambulance service and "free" health care, prisons, and welfare. And we will not attract quality jobs without an educated work force.

2. The State of Ohio does not fully fund the cost of public education. It requires each community to pay a substantial portion of the cost through local taxes.

3. A quality education requires quality instruction, appropriate support services (and this does include administration/management, for those of you who seem to hate administrators and think the teachers could run the schools on their own), and safe, secure buildings with the necesary equipment and technology to provide an environment conducive to learning.

4. I have not ever, and do not now, promise that new buildings alone will guarantee improved academic performance. But, the condition of the buildings is definitely a factor. And, at some point, the condition of a school building becomes so bad that it actively interferes with learning, and with the cost-effective operation of the school district. Vail is definitely at that point.

5. The State of Ohio is providing some funding to school districts for buildings now. If we do not accept the offer and meet the challenge with local tax dollars now, Middletown won't receive that help from the State, and the State may never again offer the funding.

6. The State of Ohio has extensive standards for what is required when schools are renovated or built new under this program. Their general intent is that the buildings and systems/parts (roofs, HVAC, electrical, etc) last at least 50 years from the project. They evaluated all the buildings in our district. They determined that Vail was in such bad shape, and its systems so outdated, that the cost to renovate was too high and a replacement building was required. If we disagree, and want to "just" renovate, we could do that entirely with local money--but, we would spend almost as much as building new, and by doing so we would forfeit any state matching money for the elementary schools and the high school. If, on the other hand, we build a new middle school to the State's standards with money from this proposed levy, then the State matching money for the whole K-12 project will pay to renovate and expand the high school.

7. I don't think the original bond levy promised that new schools would result in improved academic results. However, the fact is that the elementary results have improved, quantifiably, since the building project was completed. I have posted about that extensively in other threads and won't repeat here.

8. Voters definitely WERE told before the last bond levy that the levy was for elementary schools, and that a second levy would be required for the middle and high schools, and that when the entire K-12 master facilities plan was constructed, then the state would pay 26% of the entire project. Failing to put a second bond levy on the ballot, to complete the second phase and collect the State money, would be unfair to the voters who approved the first bond levy with the understanding that it was only the first half of the project.

9. To those of you who say you will not reward the schools with new buildings until they earn it through improved academic performance, I ask, reward who? Until who has earned it? Back to point 1, current and future students deserve a quality education. It is current and future students who will benefit from new/renovated middle and high school. Is it their fault that prior students did not score as well on standardized tests as you think they should have? Are you going to penalize current and future students because current and prior school board members, superintendents, administrators and teachers failed to meet your expectations for performance? New buildings are not a reward in any way for school board, superintendent and central office. We don't work in the school buildings. Yes, the teachers and principals will benefit somewhat. Saying they (and the students) should put up with inadequate buildings until the district is rated excellent strikes me as borrowing logic from Dilbert (management saying, deplorable work conditions will continue until morale improves). I suspect that, if the district improved to excellent and then asked for new buildings, you would say -- you obviously don't need new buildings, since you achieved excellence in the old ones.

10. Like Chris Fiora, I hear from many people who leave the district after elementary school because of the condition and location of Vail and their perceptions as to poor discipline in the middle and high school. Some who investigate past these perceptions actually transfer into the district from surrounding smaller districts. The primary reasons I hear for those who transfer into the district in older grades is (a) the greater variety and strength of programmatic offerings, including academic courses, athletics, and extracurriculars like orchestra, forensics, show choir, etc; and (b) the diversity and tolerance of the student body. MHS is a school that supports and encourages all kids, whether they are academic stars, athletes, theatrical, musical, artsy, tech gurus, etc. Smaller schools can be very hard on kids who don't "fit in."

11. I have also posted in other threads about the improvements in discipline. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but suspensions and expulsions at the high school dropped in the neighborhood of 30% each of the past two years in a row, while at the same time both teachers and students say in surveys that the climate has improved. Frankly, it is people like some posters here, who perpetuate a misperception of what is going on at the high school based on random news stories when they haven't set foot in the building in decades.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 2:26pm
Isn't Princton, Harvard, Yale some of our finest learning facilities in this country? And how old are some of those building? Just an observation on my part.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 3:20pm
Over the hill, elite colleges and universities have been on a massive building spree in the last 25 years. It is part of the reason that tuition has risen so much. They keep the facade of old buildings, and totally gut and renovate the inside. They are spending as much as if they tore it down and built new, but they keep the outer walls because the nostalgic alumni donate millions to those schools. And, they are not subject to the regulations of a state facilities commission. In addition to these renovations, they have built scores of brand new buildings.

When Middie alumni donate a billion dollar endowment like Princeton and Harvard have, we will reconsider the sentimental value of keeping the outer walls of old buildings like Vail.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 3:25pm
ktf, the key to the quote you posted is local tax dollars have increased. The local tax dollars devoted to public education has increased because the state tax dollars devoted to public education have decreased.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 3:27pm
I still have yet to get an answer as to why tear down the old school if the new one is built? Why not sell it, any try to get some profit from the old site, instead of paying for it to be demolished? Or better yet move the administration into that building and use it for something else :)
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 3:41pm
Ms. Andrew: "Every child in Middletown deserves a quality education"

THERE ARE SOME WHO THINK THAT ISN'T HAPPENING NOW NOR HAS IT BEEN HAPPENING FOR THE PAST TWO DECADES MS. ANDREW.

"Investing in public education is the best investment that taxpayers can make for the community"

THAT ALL DEPENDS ON WHETHER THE PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE PAYING FOR A WINNER OR A LOSER. IF THE SCHOOLS ARE HURTING THE COMMUNITY WHERE IS THE POSITIVE INVESTMENT? SPOKEN LIKE A PERSON WHO IS IN A POSITION OF SCHOOL SUPPORT.

"I don't think the original bond levy promised that new schools would result in improved academic results"

IT WAS ADVERTISED AS SUCH BY STEVE PRICE MS. ANDREW. "IF YOU BUILD US NEW SCHOOLS, THE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT WILL IMPROVE, THE KIDS WILL HAVE ALL THE MODERN BELLS AND WHISTLES, THE KIDS WILL BE MORE COMFORTABLE IN THE CLASSROOMS AND BETTER RESULTS WILL BE SEEN". IT WAS A MESSAGE SIMILAR TO THIS. SELECTIVE AMNESIA BY SOME AS TO WHAT WAS SAID BY PRICE.

"To those of you who say you will not reward the schools with new buildings until they earn it through improved academic performance, I ask, reward who? Until who has earned it?"

YOU......AND THE ENTIRE MIDDLETOWN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY

YOU AND ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE NOW, AND IN THE PAST, RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
CURRENT SITUATION THAT WE HAVE WITH REGARD TO THE LOW PERFORMANCE. MS. ANDREW, YOU HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE REWARDS PROGRAM IN THE WORKING ENVIRONMENT. IT IS QUITE SIMPLE. YOU DO A GOOD JOB----YOU ARE REWARDED. YOU JUST AREN'T HANDED REWARDS WITHOUT MAKING AN EFFORT. C'MON, YOU'VE BEEN AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE EXPERIENCED THAT IN THE WORK PLACE. SAME GOES FOR THE SCHOOLS. THE SCHOOL PEOPLE TEACH THE KIDS EFFECTIVELY, THE KIDS PRODUCE GOOD RESULTS AND THE DISTRICTS SHOWS A STEP INCREASE FROM CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT TO SATISFACTORY, OR BETTER YET, EXCELLENT, AND I'M SURE THE COMMUNITY WOULD BE PROUD TO REWARD YOU SCHOOL PEOPLE WITH YOU DESIRES. UNTIL THEN, WHY WOULD YOU EXPECT A HANDOUT AND TO RECEIVE WHAT YOU WANT IF YOU HAVEN'T EARNED IT?

"Is it their fault that prior students did not score as well on standardized tests as you think they should have?"

IT IS NOT WHAT I (WE) THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE SCORED. IT IS THE STATE THAT IS REQUIRING THEY DO BETTER. IT IS THE STATE THAT SAYS THAT THE SCHOOLS SHOULD BE PERFORMING AT A CERTAIN LEVEL TO ATTAIN A CERTAIN RANKING. IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE STUDENTS. IT IS THE POOR PREP AND THE CURRICULUM PRESENTATION THAT IS NOT ALLOWING KIDS TO SUCCEED ON THE TESTS. IT IS THE LACK OF CONTROL IN THE CLASSROOMS AND THE OCCASIONAL DISRUPTIONS THAT HINDER ACCOMPLISHMENTS. IT IS THE LACK OF ABILITY TO IDENTIFY ISSUES OF INEFFICIENCIES IN THE SYSTEM AND CORRECTING THEM...CONTINUALLY OPERATING IN THE SAME OLD FAILED MODES AND WONDERING WHY THINGS DON'T CHANGE FOR THE BETTER THAT HURTS PROGRESS.

"Are you going to penalize current and future students because current and prior school board members, superintendents, administrators and teachers failed to meet your expectations for performance"

THEY FAILED TO MEET THE STATES EXPECTATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE AND SINCE WE JUDGE HOW WELL YOU DO BY THE STATE'S STANDARDS, WE ALSO CALL IT FAILURE. THE STANDARD IS THERE. IF YOU DON'T MEET IT, YOU'VE FAILED. OTHER SCHOOLS SEEM TO MEET THE STANDARDS ON AN ON-GOING BASIS. SIMPLE ENOUGH.

"Saying they (and the students) should put up with inadequate buildings until the district is rated excellent strikes me as borrowing logic from Dilbert (management saying, deplorable work conditions will continue until morale improves). I suspect that, if the district improved to excellent and then asked for new buildings, you would say -- you obviously don't need new buildings, since you achieved excellence in the old ones"

MERCY MS. ANDREW.

"Like Chris Fiora, I hear from many people who leave the district after elementary school because of the condition and location of Vail and their perceptions as to poor discipline in the middle and high school. Some who investigate past these perceptions actually transfer into the district from surrounding smaller districts. The primary reasons I hear for those who transfer into the district in older grades is (a) the greater variety and strength of programmatic offerings, including academic courses, athletics, and extracurriculars like orchestra, forensics, show choir, etc; and (b) the diversity and tolerance of the student body. MHS is a school that supports and encourages all kids, whether they are academic stars, athletes, theatrical, musical, artsy, tech gurus, etc. Smaller schools can be very hard on kids who don't "fit in.""

THEN WHY ARE WE LOSING ENROLLMENT NUMBERS TO OTHER SCHOOL DISTRICTS IF THIS IS TRUE?

"I have also posted in other threads about the improvements in discipline. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but suspensions and expulsions at the high school dropped in the neighborhood of 30% each of the past two years in a row, while at the same time both teachers and students say in surveys that the climate has improved. Frankly, it is people like some posters here, who perpetuate a misperception of what is going on at the high school based on random news stories when they haven't set foot in the building in decades"

STAY ON THE DEFENSIVE MS. ANDREW. NO HARM IN DEFENDING YOUR TURF. WE JUST SEE THE SAME SITUATION FROM TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES. WE CAN DISCUSS BUT I DOUBT IF WE WILL EVER AGREE AS WE SEE THE DISTRICT IN TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT UNIVERSES.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 3:44pm
ktf, are you kidding?  Who would buy an outdated, run down HUGE building like that?  No one.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 4:18pm
I know the city would LOL

I know you can sell it to HUD and have convert it, into low income appartments Wink

It looks like it has been done before. When I drive down Central Ave., I drive past an old school that now has a few business in it. 

Besides didn't people say the same thing about the Towne  Mall, now it has new owners and is set to be remodeled.

But if it can't be sold, at least try to make some type of profit off of it by scrapping the metal in the entire building before the many criminal scrappers in Middletown break in and get to it. 
Chris Fiora View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 5:28pm
ktf1179
I can assure you that the school board will attempt to sell the buidlings before tearing them down.  THe district would rather not have to spend the money to tear down builidings when this money can be better spent on other items.  However, I agree with Neil, that it is very unlikely that anyone will want to purchase it.  We tried very hard to sell Roosevelt and worked with a number of potential buyers but were unable to make any sale happen regardless of the price.

I think that it's a good thing that the school board will tear down the buildings that have no further use as we already have too many old, unusable buildings in Middletown.  It is the responsible thing to do.  The last I looked, the old school building on Central was busy turning into an eye sore.

Regarding scrapping the usable items, the board certainly will do this.  In additon we will try and sell anything of value.  The district had an auction of all of the items from Roosevelt prior to tearing down the building and was able to collect a modest amount of money. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 7:43pm
Ms Andrew & Mr Fiora

ClapClapClapClapClap

Bob Cust
(aka PacmanCool)
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 8:24am
I guess I am still kinda torn on this levy issue. On the one had I can understand that a new school could improve the image of the schools to the surrounding areas, and "Might" bring new people to Middletown. 

On the other hand I am afraid that this new school will only result in the same test scores. I am also afraid of the support our schools then move away crowd. A problem I saw time and time again in Springboro. Where people move to the city, support all the school issues, and as soon as their kid graduates, move from the city. Thus leaving long term residents paying the bill.

I am also concerned that this levy might push a lot of people over there personal finical cliff, thus resulting in people either moving from Middletown or forcing people into foreclosure. Thus leaving the schools with less revenue. 

Also can someone please post some pictures of the conditions of the school? So we can see how bad it is. 

Finally how long will we be paying for this new school? 20 30 40 years before it falls off our property taxes?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 9:21am
correct--prior we were told exactly what the last levy would produce, and that another levy(for pretty much what is up now) would eventually follow. There were no iron-clad guarantees of educational improvement, however it was reasonably assumed that the new buildings would offer offer conditions, tools and an image that would make our system more attractive towards retaining better students, and drawing in new productive families to our community.
academic improvement was anticipated by everyone to some degree
a reasonable and hopeful assumption.

the interaction here from Ms.A and Mr.F is greatly appreciated
our city govt will hopefully learn from this openness and communication

still Ms.A's tone somewhat un-nerves me(maybe Vet's consistent pounding has un-nerved Ms.A)

does anyone OWE anyone anything?
yes and no imo

Vail obviously cannot be maintained any longer--no real discussion
yet every student in the system must filter thru that building--a red flag to many(right or wrong)
having attended hs there for 2 years with no issues, I really am not sure how to take the slight
The area is now judged as a serious detriment to the attractiveness of the system, and the school must be moved to the east end, yet school admin is singing the praises of the adjacent area where they will be headquartered.
Last time that I checked the police reports, the new udf had more police calls than the middle school area.
Plus--as much as Vail is lambasted, I don't get better reports on Verity.

With Central Academy moved to the east end, Jefferson, Sherman and Maple Park long gone, and Vail coming down, Rosa Parks will then be the ONLY school in the western part of the system. To me--that is not a proper balance, and a disadvantage to Rosa Parks students and neighboring residents who will then have to fund a new extremely east end school far away from their neighborhoods. I honestly don't like this arrangement, and see it as talking from both sides of the mouth. Remember--this thinking was tried back in the late 60s when the current hs was built, intended only for the east end, while th current Vail building was to be userd as another hs for west-enders. Fortunately that thinking was deservedly blown out of the water.

imo our community needs that rounded balance to remain whole(not just a small concentation from C ST to Central/Broad to the city building). Too convenient to ignore the other areas where the upper crust doesn't live or visit.
We are a blue collar low-income community at this time, like it or not(I don't like it--most people don't). However our educatiion system is here to serve everyone equally and best. I am not sure that it will happen with the proposed arrangement. Neighborhood schools are better for everyone, and provide a comfort level much needed imo.

This is a pricey levy IF you own property in the city, Expensive for commercial property owners, homeowners and landlords(ultimately renters). The fact that non-property owners could pass this over property owners is concerning to me.

I believe in our system leadership, understand their issues and the need, yet don't at all like being talked down to like I can't comprehend what is involved. while we may not be "owed" anything, we do have reasonable expectations for our substantial investment.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:13am

Spider

We have been told that
Vail School
and the Board of Education Building are in an unsavory neighborhood of high poverty and high crime. The BOE employees stated that they didn’t feel safe going to their cars after work so I’m really glad we have now moved them to City Hall just above the Police Station.

Hmmm…Because this is an area of high crime and high poverty HUD would classify this as an AREA OF GREATEST NEED….however….not one dime of HUD Funding has been spent in this area by Mr. Adkins over the past 5 years because he stated it was “Too far gone”. How can City Hall complain about an area while they withhold the HUD Funds that were intended for such as area?

This entire situation is beginning to smell.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:16am
yes Spiderjohn,I for one am in agreement with you. For soooo many years neighborhood schools were touted as the best arrangment for our students I think that is still a good option.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:43am

Spider,

I apologize if I offended you, although I honestly don't know what "tone" you are referring to, or see how I "talked down" to people. I expressed my opinions and reasoning for why the proposed bond levy is in the best interests of the community. I am certainly not intending to tell other people what to believe. But yes, when people post on here that I and other "school people" are acting selfishly in supporting this bond levy for school buildings, or that we don't care about taxpayers' financial challenges, I feel the need to explain why I believe the facilities master plan is in the public good.  I will get no personal benefit out of it, beyond what any taxpayer will get. My own children will have graduated before the new/renovated buildings are completed, if the bond levy passes.  As you said, there will never be a "good" time for a levy.

The Verity site was chosen for the new middle school because the district already owns the land, and the site is big enough. The current footprint of the Vail site is not large enough for a new middle school.  There is no other site on the west/south end of town large enough.

The district still has neighborhood schools for K-5. In addition to Rosa Parks, Amanda and Mayfield serve the southwest end of town, and Wildwood the northwest. A single combined middle school saves the district money every year versus two (both in operating costs and salaries).
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 11:21am
Posted: 11:09 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013

What Middletown Schools levy would cost taxpayers

MIDDLETOWN — The landscape of Middletown City Schools is in the hands of voters.

The school district’s Board of Education voted unanimously Thursday morning to place a combination bond issue/permanent improvement levy in a special election May 7. The bond issue is for 3.95 mill and the permanent improvement is for .26 mills, meaning voters will decide the fate of the 4.21 mill ballot issue.

The levy is expected to generate $55 million that will build a middle school and renovate the high school. If passed, the issues would cost the owner of a $100,000 home an additional $129 a year, district treasurer Kelley Thorpe said this morning at the special board meeting.

The district expects to qualify for additional state funding from the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission. To be eligible for the state funding, the district had to place a permanent improvement levy on the ballot of 0.5 mill. The district already has 0.24 mill, so it added 0.26 mill, Thorpe said.

The 3.95 mill bond issue will last 37 years, Thorpe said.

Superintendent Greg Rasmussen said the state funding may arrive in one to three years — what he called “perfect timing” for the district.

He added the construction plan for the two buildings is in its “very infancy” stages, but he has been impressed by the “level of details” from the architect manager.

As the process continues, Rasmussen said, the board and facilities team will continue to be consulted.

He called this an “exciting time” for the district.

The Rev. Greg Tyus, a school board member, said that while the issues have the support of the five board members and the district’s administrative staff, it will come down to the voters. He said the community is in the “driver’s seat.”

Some of the improvements in the $55 million initiative include: adding classroom space for curriculum; moving Manchester classes, Success Academy and Freshman Academy back into the high school; providing a new gymnasium and support space and building a wrestling fieldhouse, plus demolishing the Middletown Middle School and Wade E. Miller Gym; and renovating either Barnitz Stadium or the Glenn “Tiger” Ellison Football Complex.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 11:29am
So $10 a month for an owner of a $100k home.  Seems like a reasonable cost to me to get these schools up to date and not have to worry about this for decades.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 11:36am
Well--we all want to be rewarded in one way or another, by improving our community and demographics.

Yes--I failed to mention Mayfield and Amanda(though I would not send any youngsters of mine to Amanda, due to the proximity of SunCoke and it's emissions). I also failed to mention the former Roosevelt site, which is still un-used. Is that site large enough? Or the former hospital site?

no apology necessary my way--you are always informative and civil.

So--locations for the sports complexes and sizes?

The midde school situation is important, yet only a small part of re-vitalizing our community to attract new contributing residents and students. So many other issues outside of the school system.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

So $10 a month for an owner of a $100k home.  Seems like a reasonable cost to me to get these schools up to date and not have to worry about this for decades.
Dont know about you but that $10 a month can be spent somewhere else other then for updating something to do with sports.Sorry not a fan of supporting sports,education Yes. Want to play sports pay for it.Want to practice,I bet the Y would love to have your bussiness. Smile

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

Only 10 bucks a month times 12 months times 37 years = $4,440. in additional taxes for the people who own a $100,000 home. This is in addition to the property taxes you are currently paying now for past operational, initial turned renewal turned continuous turned permanent, and bond levies. More out of the old paycheck for some who can ill afford it, living paycheck to paycheck each week. And the elderly who own homes.....who cares about their dilemma? They can ill afford the additional cost. Have you seen what they draw on a monthly SS check? How about the young people who just bought a house and want to start a family here. Gonna be hard on their wallet too. Bad time to ask for more with people financially strapped or out of work and barely hanging on to the old mortgage already. On the other hand, if approved, we should all welcome this because the school folks will get what they want even though we may have to go through a "little pain at the wallet", the kids will receive a better education with improved results and we will all be one happy family as we follow the road to excellence. Like the city, the schools had a bright past.....now, with new schools.....a brighter future for sure.

37 years people. You will pay on this longer than you will pay for your home.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic