FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Orman Bldg Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orman Bldg Demo
    Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 6:29pm
It looks like demo is about to resume.
Fencing is going up.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 1:39pm
Noticed today the impound lot has been vacated.
CIS is in the process of abating asbestos.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2013 at 3:05pm
The old impound lot fence is down & they are starting to move in equipment.

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 7:17pm
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 8:12pm
409, Thanks for the pictures!!!
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2013 at 4:31pm

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 6:08am
Glad to see this hazardous, eyesore being removed. Now, we can expect to see more green space in the downtown area for the creation of a shuttle service to CS OR a Park and Ride for Smith Park as people park their cars in the lot and take the bus less than a quarter mile up the road to Smith. This extra parking lot will help when the hot air balloon fests are going on and will eleviate parking issues when the "millions" (Morts last count) of people invade Smith. Good to see the downtown area becoming wide-open with the city's "Open Range" gameplan. In time, one will be able to drive down there and gaze upon acres of grazing land and literally be able to look across town, view unobstructed.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 9:26am
I am glad to see that get tore down as well, let's keep the tearing down of eyesores up. How about tearing down the dated 1970's City Building next Wink.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 10:04am
Oh, KTF, don't give our city manager any ideas. She would jump on that in a heart beat. Ofcourse she gets the corner office.
enough is enough View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 12:31pm
NO NO  We cannot tear down the city building now that we have the school district renting the fourth floor for $5000 a month. That should get us out of the red. Maybe that could be put toward the fancy lights on S. Main. Better yet maybe any left over office space could be converted into Section 8 apartments. 
Enough is Enough
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 2:04pm
Well, we might as well get the money any way we can. I'm not sure tha "HUD money" thing is going to work out so well.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 4:50pm
        Looking West                                                                                                       Looking East

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 5:32pm
WOW Great pictures 409!!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

I am glad to see that get tore down as well, let's keep the tearing down of eyesores up. How about tearing down the dated 1970's City Building next Wink.
Eyesore? 

The City Building you mention was designed by noted Chicago architect Harry Weese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Weese

You might not like it, but it is a good example of 20th century modernism.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 6:13am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

Eyesore? 

The City Building you mention was designed by noted Chicago architect Harry Weese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Weese

You might not like it, but it is a good example of 20th century modernism.

I believe ktf was joking by the icon posted. The city building is, by Middletown standards, a nice looking building and is reasonably pleasant to look at. The only thing wrong with the city building is the inhabitants.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 11:18am
AMEN,VV
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 5:19pm

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 6:48pm
Hey, that fancy executive office enclosure in the lower right photo looks kinda upscale doesn't it? Real wood or Sauter fiberboard?
Gotta salvage that for Mike P's home office.   
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 7:25pm

Leaving it as green space could “work well” as an extension to Smith Park, Gilleland said.

“As long as a historic building is not involved, I love to see new green space spouting all over town,” she said.

God forbid something happens to a "Historical Building."Sick and tired of hearing Historical,green space and South Main Street Snobs wish all of them would just crawl back into their caves and leave us normal folks alone. 

Be a good overflow parking lot for when Smith Park has something going on there.Move on to other pressing issues.Oh I forgot who I was talking to,are "SPINELESS ONES."LOL

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 10:31pm
What continues to hold Middletown back is the mentality of someone that could view anything here is "historical".  There are no national monuments here last time I checked. 

With the serious economic challenges this town and its inhabitants face for years to come, you think we would be a little more worried about preparing for our future instead of worrying about a past that matters to very few.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2013 at 6:45am
Today's Journal....

MIDDLETOWN REVITALIZATION

Possibilities open up for downtown Middletown without the Orman building

MIDDLETOWN —
A changed landscape means new possiblities for downtown redevelopment now that one of Middletown’s most well-known eyesores is being torn down, city officials and local businesses say

“It will be a hollow hole, an empty space. It will take a little while to get used to it not being there,” said Ron Cole, owner of CRC Automotive. “I hate to see old stuff go, but it’s time for it to come down.”

Driving up on the site post-deconstruction would probably be like when people first drove past where the downtown garage stood after its demolition, said City Manager Judy Gilleland.

“It will look very fresh and open instead of old and dilapidated,” she said

Leaving it as green space could “work well” as an extension to Smith Park, Gilleland said.

HMM, BELIEVE SOMEONE ELSE SUGGESTED THAT TOO JUDITH.

“As long as a historic building is not involved, I love to see new green space spouting all over town,” she said.

JUDITH MUST REALLY MEAN THIS AS SHE HAS JUST ABOUT DEMOLISHED THE WHOLE DOWNTOWN AREA. KINDA LOOKIN' LIKE THE SET FROM MAD MAX....A PROVERBIAL BARREN WASTELAND. HECK, WE'VE GOT "GREEN SPACE" GALORE DOWN THERE NOW. MORE WIDE OPEN SPACES THAN BUILDINGS. YESSIR, THIS DOWNTOWN AREA IS GONNA BE ONE SPIFFY GEM IN TOWN WHEN SHE'S DONE WITH IT. LOTS OF PARKING, LOTS OF GRASS, LOTS OF PLACES FOR "POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT". SHE'S GOOD AT TEARING DOWN. JUST NOT SO GOOD AT BUILDING UP OR OCCUPANCY OF EXISTING.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2013 at 10:56pm

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Hey, that fancy executive office enclosure in the lower right photo looks kinda upscale doesn't it? Real wood or Sauter fiberboard?
Gotta salvage that for Mike P's home office.   
Gee, thanks for the kind offer, Vet, but those walls have glass windows in them.  I am not allowed to have glass, or any sharp objects, in my padded cell...oops...I mean office, without constant supervision!!! LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Eyesore? 

Relax, SWO!!! It was an easy mistake.  City Hall might've been designed by Harry Weese, but inside it is a "HAIRY BEAST" that is eating up all of our money!!! LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2013 at 9:45pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic