FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gilliland Akins Should Go

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gilliland Akins Should Go
    Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 6:39am
These two bureaucrats need to move on. They have completely lost sight of their responsibility to the citizens of Middletown.
It is about the people not the process!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

These two bureaucrats need to move on. They have completely lost sight of their responsibility to the citizens of Middletown.

Couldn't agree more. I would add the following while we are cleaning house....

Les Landen
Marty Kohler
Mayor Lawrence Mulligan the Third
The other Mulligan
Danny Picard
Ann Mort
The entire Econ. Dev. Department
All the top heavy managers in the city building managing 2 or 3 employees.
All followers and supporters of MMF
TDB (Triple Dipper Becker)
All former councilpersons/school board members still living who let the town/schools go to pot during the 80's, 90's and 2000's.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 11:43am
Vet, that means M29 has to go too!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 11:54am
I actually like Denise Hamet and think she's doing a good job. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

Vet, that means M29 has to go too!

Don't know who M29 is. I play no favorites with my disdain for past/current leadership. Don't know who M29 is on a personal basis. Screen name, real name, makes no difference to me. Just call it as I see it based on what the town was and what it has become due to past/current negligence. If Becker, he came AFTER the good times and was in Hamilton then. He didn't live it so can't make the comparison that causes the anger in me.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

M29,

Which people of Middletown are you referring to?  Is this a specic group of people or are you speaking of Middletown as a whole?

PacmanCool
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

I actually like Denise Hamet and think she's doing a good job. 

Other than SunCoke, could you name any eye-opening opportunities Middletown has benefited from with regard to the efforts of the Econ. Dev. Dept. under Hamet? Isn't it more accurate to acknowledge that this department has had little to no affect on job growth, employer gains or decent job opportunities for the people of Middletown in the last two plus decades? Haven't more large, better paying companies left Middletown in the last 20 years than have come into town? Haven't the jobs created so far been on the minimum wage end of the pay scale? If we do have an announcement related to the Econ. Dept. it is for 10 or less jobs created, paying 8 to 12 dollars per hour, not exactly considered decent pay by today's standards. Would take two to three of these jobs per household to matter. What is your criteria for doing a great job?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 7:46pm
Hamlet is Gilliland's lap dog
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 9:51pm
Suncoke/Middletown Coke was in the works prior to Hamet, so I will not give her credit there.  But:

* NCI Building Systems (dba Metal Coaters) up to 70 jobs in the old Material Sciences plant (former ARMCO Coil Paint)
* Metal Matics in the old MISA/SOS building in Made up to 80 jobs with plans to expand upwards to 200
* Akers Packaging Expansion and relocation up to 27 jobs to Middletown
* Pilot Chemical Expansion -- which also brought state dollars to rebuild portion of Yankee Road.
* Advanced Design Solutions - up to 50 jobs in the old Miami Packaging facilities which included cleanup grants to improve the property
* Barrett Paving Materials - relocation of administrative offices to Middletown
* Valicor - treatment facility and sales office

And just today: 
Avure Technologies Inc., in Middletown. This manufacturer and designers of high-pressure machinery was approved for a 40-percent, six-year job creation tax credit for an expansion expected to create 30 full-time jobs which will generate $1.9 million in new annual payroll, the state said. The company is expected to move to Middletown.

I would also credit ED with the successful clean up of the Wrenn Paper site and the progress made with Cincinnati State.  

East end has been tough because of Neyer Great Midwest/Clayton issues that were present long before Hamet's arrival. Fischer Development just acquired most, if not all, of the Great Midwest land so hopefully we will see some progress there.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 6:00am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">Suncoke/Middletown Coke was in the works prior to Hamet, so I will not give her credit there.  But:
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">

* NCI Building Systems (dba Metal Coaters) up to 70 jobs in the old Material Sciences plant (former ARMCO Coil Paint)
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">* Metal Matics in the old MISA/SOS building in Made up to 80 jobs with plans to expand upwards to 200
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">* Akers Packaging Expansion and relocation up to 27 jobs to Middletown
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">* Pilot Chemical Expansion -- which also brought state dollars to rebuild portion of Yankee Road.
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">* Advanced Design Solutions - up to 50 jobs in the old Miami Packaging facilities which included cleanup grants to improve the property
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">* Barrett Paving Materials - relocation of administrative offices to Middletown
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">* Valicor - treatment facility and sales office

<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">And just today: 
<span ="apple-style-span"="" style="line-height: 22px; "><font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">Avure Technologies Inc., in Middletown. This manufacturer and designers of high-pressure machinery was approved for a 40-percent, six-year job creation tax credit for an expansion expected to create 30 full-time jobs which will generate $1.9 million in new annual payroll, the state said. The company is expected to move to Middletown.</span>
<span ="apple-style-span"="" style="line-height: 22px; "><font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">
</span>
<span ="apple-style-span"="" style="line-height: 22px; "><font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">I would also credit ED with the successful clean up of the Wrenn Paper site and the progress made with Cincinnati State.  </span>
<span ="apple-style-span"="" style="line-height: 22px; "><font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">
</span>
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="2"><span ="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 22px;">East end has been tough because of Neyer Great Midwest/Clayton issues that were present long before Hamet's arrival. Fischer Development just acquired most, if not all, of the Great Midwest land so hopefully we will see some progress there.</span>

Impressive list sw. Thank you for the examples. Part 2-what will these jobs do for Middletown? Can anyone tell me what these jobs paid and how much of the payroll money stayed in Middletown through home purchases, business purchases, car purchases and others that would benefit the local economy? Great thing to bring in jobs that add payroll taxes and corporate taxes to the city's bank account. Sadly, historically, it will be mismanaged. Another thing to bring in jobs that allow enough disposable income to purchase homes, cars, furniture......If the jobs pay $8 to $12 and hour.....not alot of buying power there. Just enough to pay the bills and exist. If these jobs are in the $17- $30/hour range.....then, yes, enough buying power is there to purchase that which is listed above. Would also like to know how many jobs/wages were lost in the last 2 decades and compare to this list to see if we have made a dent in the losses.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 6:45am
Hamlet and Gilliland had nothing to do with your list SW.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 2:58pm

Well Middletown29 if you are a current city council member I have a question about the last council meeting.
Preston Combs stood before council and stated that he needed $150,000 to $200,000 to renovate the 4th floor of City Hall for the new offices for the School Board to be paid for from the Downtown Fund. However we were assured just a short time ago that the 4th floor would only need MINIMUM UPGRADES for the new tenants. I do not consider $200,000 as a minimum upgrade.
So now we will have an investment of $200,000 plus two years of free rent to have the School Board move to City Hall.
Once again I’m having a real problem with ROI.   

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2013 at 2:48pm
Do not think they can legally use downtown funds for city hall renovations.
Where is the accountability?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2013 at 11:20am

Middletown29 - Do not think they can legally use downtown funds for city hall renovations.
Where is the accountability?

Middletown29 – The Downtown Funds seems to be able to be spent at the whim of the City Manager on her SPECIAL PROJECTS as she has informed us over the years.
To be honest I question this entire deal with school board moving into the
City Building
Mr. Combs did NOT give us a break down of what all this money was to be used for? $200,000 is a lot of money for a few repairs of this square footage. However we never hear any questions being asked by Council Members?
Are we footing the bill for all new furniture for the School Board Members?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2013 at 11:29am

BTW….Miss Judy only has about half a million dollars left in the Downtown Fund for her Special Projects.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic