Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downtown Middletown - Our Worst Looking Block?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downtown Middletown - Our Worst Looking Block?
    Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 12:19pm
Is it just me or is this the worst looking block in all of downtown Middletown?

Middletown, Ohio - Our Worst Looking Block
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
JessKee View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessKee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 12:31pm
The Rainbow Block! Smile
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 12:41pm
I say the west side of S Main:
Ligon's-Sonshine-Manchester lot-hydraulic-Hope House-Rose-Historical building-Sorg Opera complex-empty lots
Plus the smell
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I say the west side of S Main:
Ligon's-Sonshine-Manchester lot-hydraulic-Hope House-Rose-Historical building-Sorg Opera complex-empty lots
Plus the smell

Hey!  How many blocks is that? I"m counting at least two!

But an empty lot is not even in the same "ugly league" as an entire block right out of the Simpson's! 

BTW.. I even think at the right time of night, as the sun sets, the Hope House actually takes a decent picture. 

Of course it may look better the farther the sun sets. LOL Just Kidding!

“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 1:44pm
The brightly colored storefronts are not bad to look at and are hardly noticed..........if you were in Nogales Mexico.

This area and Spider's suggested area down around Main St. are certainly nothing to be proud of as to appearance.....but then again, the whole town has taken on a rather "worn, ragged" look the last decade or two. The town in general certainly hasn't been taken care of as in the past. The caring and pride are gone in many areas. Sad.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 2:23pm
Lol--pick either block

Amazing way to spend our $$:

My street is terrible, with moderate traffic.
Most of us have considerable frontage, so no way that a majority votes to pay for road improvements.
Young to middle-aged neighborhood-- lot of walkers who seldom cross the street.

With the paving a mess, the city is ripping up all of the corners, re-doing them to be handicap-accessible.
Why?
What happens if the street is ever re-paved?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 3:07pm
Spider...

"My street is terrible, with moderate traffic.
Most of us have considerable frontage, so no way that a majority votes to pay for road improvements.
Young to middle-aged neighborhood-- lot of walkers who seldom cross the street.

With the paving a mess, the city is ripping up all of the corners, re-doing them to be handicap-accessible.
Why?
What happens if the street is ever re-paved?"

I BELIEVE I WILL ASK THE CITY NOT TO REPAVE MY STREET BUT RATHER TO SEND A LARGE TANK AND SPRAYER CONTAINING ROUNDUP TO KILL THE GRASS POPPING UP THROUGH THE BLACKTOP.   

WILL IMPROVE THE LOOK OF THE STREET AT A FRACTION OF THE COST OF REPAVING.

SPEAKING OF HANDICAPPED....IF IT WEREN'T FOR SIDEWALKS AND WE HAD TO RELY ON STREET TRAVEL ONLY, I MAY NOT SEE HER AGAIN WHEN SHE DISAPPEARS IN ONE OF THE POTHOLES. SO, WE HAVE THE STREETS THAT ARE GOING TO GRAVEL AND SOME CITY CLOWN MADE THE DECISION TO ONLY WORK ON THE CORNERS AND NOT ATTACK THE REAL PROBLEM? SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT FOR THE FOLKS CALLING THE SHOTS HERE.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 3:47pm
Wow.. I just so happen to have a pic on my phone of the back side of SpiderJohn's favorite block :  )

South Main From Behind - Middletown, Ohio
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 7:02pm
Similar to the brightly painted buildings, but far worse than shown in this photo
With the exception of Beau Verre, At the Square, and Pendleton, the whole area from University to the river--
Smith Park to 1st Ave needs to come down.
Have lived here for 61 years--there is nothing historically meaningful in the area imo
What was good is gone
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 7:44pm
What boggles the mind is the pocket of preservationists who view nearly everything and anything downtown as "historic" and in need of saving.  Really?  I'd love for someone to tell me what honestly has ever really occurred downtown that is so important and historic that warrants preserving a 100 year old dump of a building.  What it boils down to is that some people love to live among quaint and, as Mr. Presta would say, an olde tyme look.  it has nothing to do with history and everything to do with appearance.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 9:12pm
they are getting it ready for all the illegal immigrants that's the new plan to fix this city/country , just legalize them all and no more problems with illegals makes sense, any way its perfect I can almost see the taco carts on the sidewalks now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic