FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picard's placard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picard's placard
    Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 5:11am
When I got home last evening, I found a "KEEP VICE MAYOR DAN PICARD" placard hanging on my front door.

In the first place, ATTORNEY Dan Picard should know that "vice mayor" is NOT an elected position!!!  We can NOT vote to keep Mr. Picard as "Vice Mayor".  He had his hand slapped two years ago for a similar campaigning violation...he is an attorney...he should know better!!!

Next, Mr. Picard seems to hang his hat on his support of "PUBLIC SAFETY".  It's strange how he only seems to support public safety the month or two before he runs for election.

If anyone has actually followed city council in general, and Mr. Picard's council votes in particular, closely...they would realize that Mr. Picard has actually never been a supporter of public safety!!!

You see, for our fair city to adequately fund public safety, we would have to have a vibrant, economically healthy city...and not just a few healthy blocks downtown, but an ENTIRELY healthy city!!!  And, for our fair city to adequately fund public safety, we would have to carefully conserve every dollar of public funds in order to be sure that adequate dollars were available to fund fire and police.  And NOT just for a month or two before city council elections, but during EVERY CITY COUNCIL MEETING OF EVERY MONTH OF EVERY YEAR!!!

Picard has been a WASTREL!!!  He has voted for every lame-brained, risky scheme that anyone has put forth to benefit any small group...regardless of how much it drained our public treasury!!!  Not only has he voted in this reckless manner draining our city's cash reserve fund to the point were we will be completely broke within a year or two, but this has left next to NOTHING in the General Fund for police or fire!!!

During the last two years, Ann Mort has joined him in his spending sprees.  They have voted as if we taxpayers are MADE of money for any special pet project that the Mulligans and City Manager Gilleland put forth to benefit the special interests.

EVERY YEAR that Mr. Picard has been on council, during the budget discussions he has been warned that spending down our cash reserves (also known as our "rainy day fund") would bankrupt our fair city within a few years.  Yet, he has continued to vote for every risky scheme and pet project that was put before council. 

Except, of course, for the month or two before election time.

He must think that we voters are too stupid to see through this!!! 

Are we???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 7:49am
Since the fed gov gridlock and embarrassment last month, I see the general public(voters!) as more detached from politics than ever before. I am not sure that they listen or care about anything coming from elected officials or candidates, and have become cold towards all of them. The feeling that "it doesn't matter" any more is widespread imo. I expect a very small # of people to vote in this local election year.

The thought that our city has been moving in the right direction for the last 10 years or more doesn't fly in my mind set.
"Staying the current course" and continuing our progress" is almost insulting to the people working, living and operating businesses in this community(unless you are on the list of city funded life support in the area formerly known as downtown). Everyone else has been forgotten and hung out, with the exception being the latest flurry of road improvements(how will they afford to continue that?).

I agree that the Section 8 voucher-holders are somewhat scapegoated. While they do heavily contribute to the economic and public safety drain, they were brought here exclusively by our city commission/council and admin. The citizens/businesses had no say whatsoever, and it was done well under the radar. Still--the best example of "If you build it, they will come". You can't fault those in need for making use of what is readily/conveniently offered, and the voucher-holders have done just that. Trace the trail to identify the source of the problem.

I am voting for Ms.Bronston because she has not been involded in these situations SO FAR. Weneed all of the new faces that we can find imo.

I was going to vote for Laubaugh, however he seems to have fallen in to the same patterns/mind set as the others lately. Why would that trend change if re-elected? Still probably my second best choice if I want to dilute my Bronston vote.

While I personally like and respect Mrs.Mort and Mr.Picard, I have not cared at all for their voting positions and demeanor while on Council. I can't see a continuation of their service as helping the total citizen mix of this community in the long run. Just more of the cronyism, old guard mentality(that clearly hasn't worked), and special interest more of the former downtown fantasy/money pit drain.

jmo---I understand how many can think differently

So--how long will the city remain silent and keep S Main closed?
The "restoration" process will probably take quite a while and involve more closings and re-locations?
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 3:52pm
Presta and spider woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Presta and spider woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
Humph!!!

Shows what you know.  As with most days, I didn't even get up that day!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 1:53pm
Spider, your evaluation makes good sense, I too respect Ms Mort and Picard but we simply MUST have a change in mindset on council not "business as usual ". Laubaugh needs to stick to his guns in his different views for the city. Judy may promise things behind closed doors but she will sell you out if it suits her. Just ask numerous recipients on this forum. I hope others on council will see this and refuse to go along with "rubber stamp" voting. Ofcourse that will NEVER happen with the Mulligans,but in time they will see along will Mort that they hooked their wagon to the wrong star. JMO
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 2:21pm
When I think about Miss Judy, it reminds me of the movie "Black Widow."  By the way, it was only a couple of months after her arrival from Pickerington that she started cheerleading the cause of carpet bombing (demolishing) older neighborhoods mostly in Ward 2.  And, she got rid of some employees because they were successfully promoting home ownership opportunities and property rehabilitation.  This opened the door for Mr. Atkins to step aboard her train.  That's a fact.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

Spider, your evaluation makes good sense, I too respect Ms Mort and Picard but we simply MUST have a change in mindset on council not "business as usual ". Laubaugh needs to stick to his guns in his different views for the city. Judy may promise things behind closed doors but she will sell you out if it suits her. Just ask numerous recipients on this forum. I hope others on council will see this and refuse to go along with "rubber stamp" voting. Ofcourse that will NEVER happen with the Mulligans,but in time they will see along will Mort that they hooked their wagon to the wrong star. JMO

Over The Hill-  On the contrary, Josh Laubach does not have different views than the other council members, indeed, stating succinctly on his professional profile that it his generation and he specifically, that feels a responsibility for downtown revitalization and the accompanying waste.

It would be wise to check out thinkmiddletown.com, and you'll have all this figured out regarding downtown and who is pulling the strings. You'll also see a profile of Ann Mort and Josh Laubach. Additionally, you'll see the pictures of the cast of Downtown in Middletown, which all I can say is how amusing these folks are attempting to emulate Town and Country (which I personally do enjoy).

Mr. Self (Nelson), you and Over The Hill still don't understand the dynamics of Middletown nor the role Judy Gilleland plays. Council chose her because they wanted as part of their restructuring, 7 down to 5, elimination of the ward system, a city manager they controlled, and who played the part they desired; ergo. take HUD funds to use wherever they desired, spend the rainy day funds, no worry there, they have that covered with the tax increases they will be launching, and so forth. She is in very tight and not only will council never view her in the light you suggest, but indeed, she is doing exactly what she was asked before she was hired, and that is to follow council's orders, not create her vision.

Finally....green space is an area that was never previously developed, a new idea, innovation, is a 'green field.' All of downtown Middletown is a 'brownfield.'

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 10:21pm
Mark your calendars for November 23, don't be a party pooper.
I still like Town and Country better, too much like eating imitation crab.

http://thinkmiddletown.com/category/think-fun/photo-gallery/
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:48am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Over The Hill-  On the contrary, Josh Laubach does not have different views than the other council members, indeed, stating succinctly on his professional profile that it his generation and he specifically, that feels a responsibility for downtown revitalization and the accompanying waste. ...
Acclaro,
Can you please post a link to where we can find this "professional profile" for Mr. Laubach???

... It would be wise to check out thinkmiddletown.com, and you'll have all this figured out regarding downtown and who is pulling the strings. You'll also see a profile of Ann Mort and Josh Laubach. ...
Acclaro,
I have checked out thinkmiddletown.com as you suggested. With all due respect, what I found was a cacophony of digital noise that was confusing and that defied navigation (at least to an old geezer like me.)  Would you kindly post a link to Laubach's profile, as, try as I might, I could not find it.  Also, at least from the main page, it didn't seem to me to make it any more clear as to who is "pulling the strings".  Now, I acknowledge that there are hundreds (at a minimum) of links on the main page.  Can you please give some specific guidance as to where to look???  Such help navigating this confusing website would be greatly appreciated.

...Additionally, you'll see the pictures of the cast of Downtown in Middletown, which all I can say is how amusing these folks are attempting to emulate Town and Country (which I personally do enjoy).
Acclaro,
Again,  This site fires such a digital scatter load, that I fear that I missed the "cast of Downtown in Middletown".  Although I think I know the players, I would appreciate more specific direction to finding their pictures on this website.  (That is assuming that they are all in one, or a few pictures.  If they are scattered amongst the hundreds of pictures linked on this site, I fear that they might be considered "incidental", and really of no help in pointing them out to anyone who is not already a "believer".)

Lastly, regarding your reference to "Town and Country", am I correct in assuming you are referring to Town and Country Shopping Center on Stroop Road in Dayton???  If so, then even though I have never considered that comparison, I certainly do share your amusement!!!  If not, could your clarify this reference.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 9:30am
Mike, my apologies for my metaphors. The reference to the downtown was the focus of thinkmiddletown to promote downtown,  through Sam and Ann. The reference to the puppet master was the Moorman's, and the obvious motivation a few council members have associated with downtown 'proximity'. I believe you understand my meaning.

I am sorry for the analogy on Town and Country; I meant the magazine, which is fairly well known, and focuses on the blue blood upscale existence in Manhattan and Tribecca, Martha's Vineyard, Greenwich Village, etc. The upscale lifestyle.

I see parallels between T & C, the publication, and a few running downtown desiring to reflect what their tastes to be, but not reflective of Middletown at large.

I will send zoominfo in a post below. Here is what Mr. Laubach states about Middletown.

There's a lot of good to talk about Middletown, said Laubach.
"I refuse to accept anybody's negative premise about Middletown," he said. "If I get that, I simply turn it on its head. Sometimes that's not the easiest thing to do. But I'm always an advocate."
Laubach gets where the negative discussions come from, but helping to reshape downtown Middletown and maintain its resurgence in the coming years will be his generation's charge.
"I'm thinking and talking positive about Middletown, about the potential and the opportunities the city has, the history and the character the city has," Laubach said.

One cannot effect change if there is no recognition of its problems, and steps to remedy them. I simply cannot see the logic in the downtown expenditures, other than the Main Street connection. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 9:34am
http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Josh-Laubach/1401190219

What was set in motion in picking council, funding candidates, and a pre-set agenda cannot be reversed. Simple as that.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 10:28am
Mike....for the record, the only individual I would vote for running for council is Mr. Laubach only because of his position of not pandering to the union, and making some attempt to put funds into roads and not through a road tax, as Dan Picard references. For all others, they picked their side by votes, either by a fire union, a police union, or public safety (union).
The problem with asphalt is it doesn't cast a vote, what a shame.
But, for those they comprehend the destruction of Middletown has been caused by its inability (council and city leadership), a vote for Mr. Laubach is a vote for infrastructure, and not for higher taxes, which just worsens the problems.

All the rest running are beholden to unions, and painting the decaying structure Tara. Tried to put all in one post but could not get an edit.  

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 11:21am
LAUBACH: There's a lot of good to talk about Middletown, said Laubach.
"I refuse to accept anybody's negative premise about Middletown," he said. "If I get that, I simply turn it on its head. Sometimes that's not the easiest thing to do. But I'm always an advocate."
Laubach gets where the negative discussions come from, but helping to reshape downtown Middletown and maintain its resurgence in the coming years will be his generation's charge.
"I'm thinking and talking positive about Middletown, about the potential and the opportunities the city has, the history and the character the city has," Laubach said

AND JUST WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE THE "DOWNTOWN THAT NEEDS TO BE
RESHAPED" MR. LAUBACH? HOW ABOUT AN "ENTIRE CITY RESURGENCE" FOR YOUR GENERATION'S CHARGE?

SHOULDN'T THE REST OF THE CITY GET EQUAL ATTENTION? ALL AREAS, INCLUDING THE EAST END (WHERE THE NEW GROWTH IS THE MOST PROMISING) HAS TAKEN A BACK SEAT TO THE DOWNTOWN THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS. IS THE CITY THINKING SO DAM PIGEON-HOLED THAT YOU PEOPLE CAN'T WORK ON SEVERAL AREAS SIMULTANEOUSLY? CONTRARY TO POPULAR CITY LEADER BELIEF, THE DOWNTOWN ISN'T THE BE-ALL/SAVE-ALL FOR THIS CITY. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED AN "AFTER-THOUGHT" UNTIL ALL OTHER AREAS HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED. YOU ALL GOT IT WRONG.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 12:24pm
What I see with council and Judy is the movie "WAG THE DOG" with Judy doing the wagging sorry just my opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic