Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Replace One of Ohio's Oldest Schools?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 5:42am
The notch in the belt, the scorecard, resume building, and the airplane "kills" on the side of fighter jet. Measuring a top athlete's career? No....the manner a Middletown superintendent is measured. Passing levies is the key to the spring board, moving to the next career move.

How long has this message been plaing folks in MCSD and successor BOE's and superintendents? Why does this town tolerate mediocrity is beyond me.

Q&A with outgoing superintendent Steve Price

Job leading a school district is a ‘lifestyle’

•  0 0 0 8

Related

Q&amp;A with outgoing superintendent Steve Price photo
Middletown City Schools Superintendent Steve Price’s last day on the job is Friday, July 31.

By Meagan Engle

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — Outgoing Middletown City Schools Superintendent Steve Price didn’t expect his career here to end after seven years.

As he sat in the office he’s mostly cleaned out since mutually agreeing with the school board to part ways, Price said he came to Middletown intending to stay until retirement.

Still, he understood the challenges of urban schools — where superintendents stay an average 3.7 years, according to the Ohio School Boards Association.

“In the beginning, people thought I was just coming to build my resume to move onto the next position,” said Price, whose last day is Friday, July 31. “That was my promise when I came to Middletown, to be totally committed to this community. To be fully integrated into the community. To bring a family that wanted to stay here and do everything we could on behalf of kids.

“And I feel like I’ve done that. I feel like I can look myself in the mirror and say I’ve done that every day.”

Price’s vision for Middletown saw almost immediate success, passing levies on the first try and getting approval on a bond issue for elementary schools that had previously failed.

“We got them out of Academic Watch, we built new buildings and we had some success in reducing the achievement gap,” he said.

But as the economy began to sink and many AK Steel employees were without work for a year, discontent among some grew as improvement didn’t come fast enough for the community, or for Price .

“ The community demands and wants more, and they should always do that, and so should boards ,” he said.

Price’s work allowed him to grow into an advocate for equity and addressing underlying issues by examining individuals, not creating new programs.

His work earned him a prestigious award, and even still has him making presentations, including one Aug. 1 at the National Superintendents Roundtable meeting in Cincinnati.

“I’ve never had to work a day in my life, because I love what I’m doing. ... It’s the most rewarding profession there is; it really is,” he said.

Job leading a school district is a ‘lifestyle’

Middletown City Schools Superintendent Steve Price will leave the district after seven years Friday, July 31. The Journal sat down with the outgoing superintendent to reflect on his tenure with the district.

Q: How has working at Middletown City Schools impacted you?

A: When I first came here, and the board asked me to address issues of diversity and the building issues and achievement gap, I looked at this as a professional endeavor, and it really never dawned on me that it was going to become kind of a life-changing thing too. ... It had an impact on just how I raise my family, how I interact in the community, how I interact with people in my life, how I see the world. ... I know that not everybody agrees with the leadership that I provided, but for me personally, I appreciate what Middletown has offered me. The opportunities, the people that I’ve had a chance to meet and work with, have helped shape who I’ve become as a leader and as a person. ... I feel like there have been people around that have really helped me grow, from my board right through to community members to professionals that I’ve work with in the area to the people that I’ve met on a national level, because this job has afforded me that opportunity.

I feel blessed; I really do. Things right now, even though I’m leaving the district on mutually agreeable terms, as far as me as a person, I couldn’t have asked for better opportunities in development than I’ve gotten here.

Q: Do you think you accomplished the priorities set for you?

A: I’m obviously very happy with the building project, because that was something they said couldn’t be done. ... The survey results were telling us that the bond issue didn’t have a chance to pass. And because of the work of some and the grass-roots movement of some really, really dedicated people in this community who believed in that vision, we got it done. ...

And then we passed two operating levies on the first ballot. ... Those were exciting times of support, anticipation, hope, excitement. ...

And then when the economy started turning and AK Steel had their lockout, people got very, very upset with asking for more money. That was extremely painful to see what we had to do to this school district. That’s not why I got into the business. I didn’t get into the business, one to be a fundraiser to try to pass tax issues all the time. I didn’t get into the business to cut services to kids and hurt kids. And so that was really one of the most painful and difficult things in my career to recommend those cuts and have the board act on those.

But it was also when we had our performance index score go up to 84.5 and moved (from a Academic Watch on the state report card) into Continuous Improvement. ... We’re hoping our performance index scores will go back up this year and that we’ll continue that trend of moving up, but we don’t know yet. ...

Two years ago, when we look at all the reading and math scores that were measured on the state test, we were able to raise scores of white students, raise scores of African-American students and reduce the gap in seven or eight of those 14 categories. So that was exciting, too.

Q: What do you think your legacy will be?

A: The buildings, that will be a legacy. ... And certainly I’m going to be remembered for the equity work, I think, that I introduced in Middletown. I know that it had an impact on lives, a positive impact on lives of many staff members and many students and parents in this district. And so I hope that’s what my legacy’s going to be.

And that we did move this school district up in the level of achievement, not as far and as fast as some people wanted, but the direction was up. ... Achievement improved, the achievement gap did narrow, and we got new buildings built. So I’m leaving it in better shape than when I arrived, I believe. Did it happen as far and as fast as everyone wanted? It didn’t happen as far and as fast as I wanted, but there were a lot of circumstances surrounding that.

Q: What do you hope Middletown continues working on?

A: There’s lots of things that have started that need to continue to move on. I’d like to see things like our Step Up Mentoring Program expand and include more kids. I’m looking forward to hearing how the ninth-grade academy is going to go. ... I hope I can stay involved with the Middletown Promise. I’d like to be able to stay involved with that because I helped get that started, even though it’s incorporated now as a not-for-profit. The equity work, certainly, I would like to see continue with the expectations that all kids can learn and we can close that achievement gap. ... Those are things that I would like to see grow and get better and continue. ... Those are legacies that I can point to and say ... I had some influence on those things, getting them established here.

Q: What are you favorite memories?

A: A bunch of things come to mind. Seeing those high school kids a couple board meetings ago about the social justice class. ... We talk about critical thinking; they were demonstrating it.

It was really fun to go to all the groundbreaking ceremonies for new buildings. ... Individual things like when I used to go read to kids or teach a class. ... Those will always be fun in my career getting back into classrooms and staying close to that.

It was fun to have my kids in the school where I was superintendent.

It’s fun for me to do the number of graduations I got to do. To see our kids being successful, graduating high school. ... Helping to found the Consortium (on Race and Equity) ... and being a part of professionals that really believe in that work.

There were a lot of good things. This is not a job. The superintendency is a lifestyle. All I ever wanted in this district was for our kids to do well. ... And I only have good memories. I have no regrets for doing that. It’s something I love to do and it’s something I look forward to doing in the future. In the simplest terms, that’s what it’s about. It’s not about adults; it’s about kids and it’s about helping kids become what they want to become and do as well as they possible can.

Q: Did anything take you by surprise during your career?

A: The one thing I’ve learned in this job is there’s not too many things that surprise you anymore. ...There certainly were early on some real challenges: Trying to convince this community that there was a lot to be hopeful for and there was a lot to be thankful for in the community at large and in the school district. When we were able to do that in the beginning by passing the bond issue and passing the levies, it got on a roll, and people started believing. That wasn’t really a surprise though, because the board was pretty honest with me when I came in here; they told me what the challenges were going to be. And those same challenges continue to exist.

Q: Were you prepared for the feedback you got on programs?

A: Every element that I was talking about, there was another element in the community that wasn’t happy with that or some part of that or something to do with that. And that is one of the challenges of surviving leadership in a complex, large, diverse district is that everybody has different opinions, and so whether it was because a building was moving to a different location or whether it was because you didn’t agree with combining the tax levies when we did. That’s the great thing about public education, is opinions are heard. ... But part of leadership is you don’t make everybody happy all the time. When you have to make difficult decisions or difficult recommendations, not everybody’s going to be happy. ... When you do enough of those, sooner or later there are some people that aren’t going to be happy. When you do that over seven-and-a-quarter years, that’s a lot of issues that you’re dealing with.

Q: What’s next for you?

A: I love being a superintendent, and my plans are to continue to seek a superintendent seat. But if there is an interim between that, I have opportunities to consult ... (and) to do some adjunct teaching at the university. That gives me time to read and research, and do some of the things that this job doesn’t always allow you the time for. ... But my heart is being a superintendent or working in a school district in some leadership capacity. That’s what I enjoy doing.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 7:48am
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

VV: looky what I found on the Internet!
Email Etiquette
Source: http://www.virtu-software.com/ask-doug/QandA.asp?q=15
"Why shouldn't I use capital letters? A friend told me that I shouldn't use capital letters in my emails. Why not?"
Answer
You can use capital letters in your emails...just don't use all capitals. It's considered rude. It's like yelling at someone.

I know, I know...your response will be "YOU CAN FIND ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET."
I am "JUST 1CHMOORE."

GOLLY GEE CH, BASED ON YOUR RESEARCH CONCERNING "E-MAIL ETIQUETTE", I GUESS I WILL IMMEDIATELY CEASE AND DESIST USING ALL CAPS. THIS IS REALLY IMPRESSIVE INFORMATION! ....BUT THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS I REALLY AM "YELLING" ABOUT MOST OF THE NONSENSE OCCURING IN THIS CITY NOWADAYS. CERTAINLY IS A MONUMENTAL FRUSTRATION FACTOR PRESENT. SOME OF THE CRAP PULLED BY THE TOWN DESTROYER CROWD AND SEEING THE SCHOOLS GO TO HELL THE LAST 3 DECADES WOULD CAUSE ONE TO YELL AT TIMES.....UNLESS, OF COURSE, THEY WERE UNABLE TO DISTINGUISH REALITY FROM SMOKESCREEN ON THEIR OWN, BELIEVED EVERYTHING CRAMMED DOWN THEIR THROAT, SUPPORTED ENDLESS ATTEMPTS AT IMPROVING SOMETHING HERE WHILE CONSTANTLY FAILING TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING OF ANY RELEVANCE.

I REALIZE ONE CAN FIND ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET. THE REAL ISSUE IS WHETHER YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU FIND TO BE THE TRUTH.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:37am
Good Lord. Everyone knew you were yelling. You need to calm down a little before you have a stroke. Well, after BLOVIATING (again) I see that you still haven't answered the two questions--but, I have lowered my expectations and am content knowing that you can't do it. BUD, OVER AND OUT! just 1chmoore. (One more chance---two simple questions, two simple answers: how much? And how paid? Come on, Vet, you can do it!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:10am

Good Lord. Everyone knew you were yelling. You need to calm down a little before you have a stroke. Well, after BLOVIATING (again) I see that you still haven't answered the two questions--but, I have lowered my expectations and am content knowing that you can't do it. BUD, OVER AND OUT! just 1chmoore. (One more chance---two simple questions, two simple answers: how much? And how paid? Come on, Vet, you can do it!!!

ACTUALLY THE OLD BLOOD PRESSURE IS FINE CH. CALM DOWN YOU SAY? NAW, I'M KNOWN FOR MY CALM DEMEANOR ALREADY.

I'VE OFFERED SOME IDEAS CH. YOU HAVEN'T ACCEPTED THOSE IDEAS. GUESS I JUST CAN'T GUESS WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR AND RESPOND. JUST CAN'T COMPETE AT YOUR LEVEL BUD. YOU ARE JUST FLAT OUT TOO KNOWLEDGEABLE FOR ME.

BY THE WAY, WHAT THE HELL IS "BLOVIATING". ARE YOU BILINGUAL OR ARE YOU JUST MAKING UP SLANG CH?

CH, IF I ANSWERED YOUR REQUESTS, YOU WOULD NEVER ADMIT THEY WERE CORRECT. BOTH OF US ARE KINDA WASTING OUR TIME AREN'T WE AS WE WILL NEVER AGREE ON THE STATE OF THE SCHOOLS AROUND HERE. YOU BELIEVE IT ALL. I BELIEVE NONE OF IT. SIMPLE AS THAT.....BUT I MUST ADMIT, YOU DO PROVIDE SOME NEEDED ENTERTAINMENT ON OCCASION.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 12:23pm
VV: dollar amount? Seems simple. Where the funds come from: seems simple. Bottom line is, Vet has all the BS about street repairs and all the smoke screen about how much he pays for medical insurance as opposed to the "worthless" teachers, but he doesn't have a clue how he would contend with a 90 year-old building. Can't build new! Can't remodel! Just B*tch for another 5-10 years until it's 100 years old. Hey, I just figured out why it's falling apart: it's because VV peed in the pipes 50 years ago. As VV himself has said, they were fine when he was there in 1966. That's when they started to deteriorate! Always your BUD. just 1chmoore.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:22pm
Rhodes, there was a charter school that wanted us to give them (not buy) half of the building.  They could not afford even the operating costs for the full building. Prior boards had been burned this way, giving the old Amanda School to an entity that quickly went bust and failed to maintain it, allowing it to decay, while the community all yelled at the school board for allowing an eyesore.

At least you seem to understand that renovating Vail would require gutting it down to its concrete bones and rebuilding completely the interior.  That option was fully considered and evaluated, along with many other options and scenarios, by a school facilities committee composed of community members, school employees, design and build professionals.  For 10 years. Dozens of meetings, site visits, presentations to the public and the school board. The option of renovating Vail is no longer on the table.  The choice for voters is to approve a $55 million bond for a new middle school and a renovated, "like new" high school, or to vote that option down.  This is the plan that has been signed off on by the committee, the school board and the state.  There is no choice to vote no on the proposed bond levy, but yes for some other plan for the middle school that you or someone else thinks is smarter or more historically correct.  It just doesnt' work that way.

Acclaro's argument, best I can make it out, seems to be that we should not ask the voters to support capital improvements and construction for the schools, because the City (a separate government with separate funds and separate leadership) failed to spend money on capital improvements to keep the roads in good repair.  While I agree the City probably should have spent more on the roads (although, I don't see how they could have done so without raising taxes), the argument that we shouldn't allow the schools to spend money on their infrastructure because we are angry at the City for not spending money on its infrastructure, is completely illogical.  If Middletown is ever going to recover, it needs both.  Acclaro admits in one post that the only way to substantially improve test scores is to attract (or keep) more high-income families.  Vail is a big deal-breaker for those families.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 1:54pm
Ms. Andrew, you seem bent on ignoring sound logic and reason associated with financial decisions.

The Board and city leadership have consistently acknowledged the correlation between the two entities. To state they are separate and the city could not afford to maintain its own infrastructure is precisely the point.

Higher income earners don't move into school districts with such atrocious academic performance simply because you have an urban school building(s) offering parity with outstanding systems from a physical perspective. Furthermore, do you hold the belief the school district is the "lost leader" for the city of Middletown?

Simply stated, you are stating with new buildings, regardless of the condition of the roads and disrepair, are made whole, and Middletown is a stellar catch if you will, associated with physical buildings that do not improve academic performance and will not improve performance. But, in your opinion, high income individuals will stay put in Middletown or will move into Middletown because of buildings that are not compensating the physical infrastructure in town, add additional tax burden on a depressed housing market in Middletown, and the city is so far behind in its maintenance, it would cost $ tens of Mm to repair. There are streets in the cit that haven't had asphalt on them in 50 years, and a school building premised previously on raising test scores and bringing in higher income folks and enhanced student population, which the three objectives failed, should lead to a passage of a levy simply because its part of a flawed Master Plan? That is illogical.

The levy should not be passed because:

1) There is no correlation between physical schools (buildings) and enhanced test scores, enhanced enrollment, and open enrollment.

2) The Middletown Promise, dead on arrival.

3) Testing performance enhancement? Dead on arrival.

4) 2014- Ohio is shrinking in population, not growing. Butler County's growth in the present is flat; West Chester is growing at about .2%. Middletown? Shrinking, and aged.

5) As Commissioner Rogers opined, growing cities and towns lure businesses with low taxes, and benefit. A property tax is a tax, and is no different than an income tax. Combining 1.75% tax with high property tax in consideration of the above, keeps high earners out, not enticing them to move in. Is the objective to eliminate the students leaving? Too many factors that are taken into consideration than a building. Academic performance is number 1, not a physical building offering parity..

Mayor Mulligan got it right: you look for alternatives in processes in cost reductions before ever considering to burden the taxpayer with higher taxes. In this case, its a burden with absolutely no return on investment, and pushing value down on valuation further.

While the failed levy may derail the Master Plan, it does mitigate the burden of taxes on a depreciating asset for which the levy relies- the commercial and residential property.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 3:31pm
Acclaro -- no, no, no.  You are completely misstating my position.  Yes, there is a correlation between the future success of the city and the schools.  That is completely different than saying that one controls the other, or that we can't have a new school until we have new streets.
Try to stay focused.  I mean, really -- the Middletown Promise?  Steve Price and other well-meaning people tried to get that started, but could not get it funded -- unlike Kalamazoo, there is no Kellogg wealth in this town. What does that possibly have to do with the bond issue?

Middletown needs a new middle school.  It is one piece - but an essential piece - in the puzzle of reviving Middletown.  No one has ever said it is a magic, stand alone solution to MIddletown's problems.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 3:55pm
Ms. Andrew, I appreciate your efforts and dedication to the school system and city.

Until the city takes care of infrastructure, brings in high income individuals, increases property values, and stabilizes its police and fire department, Middletown faces an uphill battle which I believe it is losing.

I view the critical elements in the puzzle as follows in stack rank:

1) City infrastructure

2) Police and fire (union issue, numbers of employees, et al).

3) Economic Development (> income residents, > number of businesses, tax base)

4) School improvement; > than Continuous Improvement.

5) Quality of Life- amenities that "hook" high income earners, businesses

6) Lean Forward- Innovation, disruptive force mindset within community (Hamilton laying foundation)

7) Public Schools- Performance

8) Public schools- Physical infrastructure

Without the seven foundation pieces, the finished puzzle never comes to fruition.

Some will agree, and some will believe all these pieces will come to Middletown in sequence. My vantage is neither the city, businesses, nor residents can afford these pieces as whole to complete the puzzle, which was the conclusion of the FORBES article.

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 6:03pm
MA - I understand the renovation of Vail isn't on the table.  I'm not moved that a committee of citizens decided against it.  I've seen the lists of the people on the numerous committees Middletown has.  Rarely is a name on there of someone self made or is known for being innovative.  Having said that, if the school board had come up with a proposal that would have gutted Vail and rebuilt it as new, this levy would have been passed a long time ago.

There is a reason why cities like Lebanon are wise enough to maintain their character.  It's mostly the type of people that live there.  There's a reason why a $300,000,000 "downtown" is being built in Liberty Township.  Higher income areas like that sort of thing.  So it should never be surprise that a mostly modest income community of average people sitting on a committee think "new" is the answer.  That should be where leadership takes over and educates the average person into understanding the importance that the city maintain as much of its rich heritage as possible.  Unfortunately the people in charge either misinform those committees or heavily push the new over old way.  Tearing down the old Wildwood or Creekview wasn't that big of a deal because those buildings were no different than the bland buildings that replaced them.  Tearing down these old buildings that were built at the highest of standards is really foolish.  Middletown doesn't have a lot, but it sure has the leftovers of a very prosperous past.  How many high schools have a stadium like Barnitz?  How many have a gym like Miller?  Very few throughout the whole country have those types of facilities.  The solution is to tear it all down, for the most part, and built a bunch of new generic buildings of lesser quality?  That's the message leadership pushes and most people just don't have the guts to stand up to it.  Thus, the committees mimic the bad ideas leadership wants.

Concerning that charter school, the board should have given the building to them for free as long as it freed the board from future expenses.  If it didn't, then a way should have been made to make it happen that way.  Once you tear down these old buildings in a city like Middletown, they'll never be replaced.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:36pm
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:12pm
Dateline: Middletown, Ohio May 4, 2047: A Middletown icon, known as Viet Vet has passed away at the age of 99. "Vet," as his close friend "BUD" MOORE has called him for years, was the last hold-out to always vote "NO" on any levy (except the Senior Citizens' levy in 2010). It was Vet's vote in May, 2014 against the School Bond Levy that denied the passage which would have replaced the aging Middletown Middle School. Fortunately, the "Old High School" as it was referred to over the years, was given to the Senior Citizens' Group to replace their aging facility on Central Avenue. With VV's declining health over the last 2 weeks, a movement has begun to name the "Old High School" facility after Vet. Henceforth it will be known as the "Viet Vet's Memorial Senior Citizens' Service Center." As a further tribute, the Middletown Board of Education has received permission to have his body interred in the lobby of the newly name facility, respectfully facing the statues of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. Pall bearers include many of the past Superintendents that have served MCSD. "Vet" will surely be missed by a few.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 12:17am
Is there a reason why this message board doesn't allow editing?  I tend to go back and read later on what I posted and I hate it when I find errors I can't fix.  It also leads to posts like the one I left earlier that only said " *edging ".  I found out today that is actually an X rated word, which I did not know.  If anyone read that, I was correcting a word from an earlier post.  Please let up on the editing controls or let me know where to find them since I'm apparently that out of the loop.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 1:23am
Rhodes: after you have signed in, scroll all the way to the bottom (in this case, Page 4); look on the right hand side for "Forum Permissions." Click on the arrow, and it will drop down with certain things that you can do---but you must be logged in. The fourth option says that you CAN edit. How, I don't know.   Hope this helps. chmoore.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 6:51am
Hmm. You can find just about anything on the internet---from the University of Georgia
Source: http://sdpl.coe.uga.edu/researchabstracts/age.html

Influence of the School Facility on Student Achievement

School Building Age

The age of a school building has been used as a surrogate factor to study the composite impact of school plant variables on pupil achievement at elementary, middle and secondary school levels (McGuffey, 1982). A 1991 report by the American Association of School Administrators indicated that "nearly 5 million students in the U.S. attended classes in 13,200 classrooms that were inadequate for meeting standards necessary to prepare students for today's world" (Holt, 1994, p.33). Many public school facilities are in disrepair, a situation affecting the morale, health, and academic achievement of students (Frazier, 1993). Many research studies have been conducted in the area of school building age and its impact on student achievement. Findings of these studies follow.

Thomas (1962) in his study of the relationship between resource inputs and outcomes of education found that school building age was one of the independent variables having the greatest effect on educational outcomes. He concluded that a school building's age was consistently positive and related to pupil achievement. Plumley (1978) examined the relationship of school building age and student achievement of 4th grade students in selected schools in Georgia. The findings of the study indicated that the older the school buildings without the elements of modernization, the lower the composite vocabulary, reading, language, work study and mathematics scores on the ITBS. Thus, Plumley's study supported the fact that a significant relationship between school building age and the academic achievement of pupils exists.

Similarly, Chan (1979) investigated the relationship of school building age and academic achievement of 8th grade pupils in a random sample of schools in Georgia. It was found that the achievement scores of pupils assigned to modernized school buildings were consistently higher than the scores of pupils assigned to non-modernized school buildings. McGuffey and Brown (1978) also studied the impact of school building age on achievement in Georgia schools. They discovered that their research supported other similar studies indicating that approximately 3% of the variance in achievement test scores can be explained by age of the facility after removing the variance caused by socioeconomic factors. In the area of modernized school buildings, Bowers and Burkett (1987) researched the academic achievement of two hundred and eighty, 4th and 6th grade students housed in two separate facilities (the oldest and newest facilities in the selected school district). They found that the students in the newer building (modern) performed much better than the students in the older building. The students in the modern building also had a better record in the areas of health, attendance and discipline.

Most recently, Ikpa (1992) found a significantly negative relationship between the age of school buildings and achievement. Her data indicated that as the age of the school building increased, the achievement test scores tended to decrease. Based on the research in the area of school building age and academic achievement, it is vital that educational consultants, architects and administrators be critically aware of the importance attached to the compatibility between the physical environment and student learning.

Happy reading. just 1chmoore.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 6:57am

Dateline: Middletown, Ohio May 4, 2047: A Middletown icon, known as Viet Vet has passed away at the age of 99. "Vet," as his close friend "BUD" MOORE has called him for years, was the last hold-out to always vote "NO" on any levy (except the Senior Citizens' levy in 2010). It was Vet's vote in May, 2014 against the School Bond Levy that denied the passage which would have replaced the aging Middletown Middle School. Fortunately, the "Old High School" as it was referred to over the years, was given to the Senior Citizens' Group to replace their aging facility on Central Avenue. With VV's declining health over the last 2 weeks, a movement has begun to name the "Old High School" facility after Vet. Henceforth it will be known as the "Viet Vet's Memorial Senior Citizens' Service Center." As a further tribute, the Middletown Board of Education has received permission to have his body interred in the lobby of the newly name facility, respectfully facing the statues of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. Pall bearers include many of the past Superintendents that have served MCSD. "Vet" will surely be missed by a few.

"Vet" will surely be missed by a few"

DOUBTFUL CH.

GREAT STORY CH. VIVID IMAGINATION. GOOD JOB.

I LIKE THIS LINE....." It was Vet's vote in May, 2014 against the School Bond Levy that denied the passage which wold have replaced the aging Middletown Middle School."

I SURELY HOPE SO. IT WOULD GIVE ME GREAT SATISFACTION TO KNOW THAT MY ONE SINGLE VOTE CAUSED THE DEFEAT OF THE LEVY. I WOULD HAVE HELPED MANY CITIZENS OF THIS CITY BECAUSE IT WOULD HAVE PUT A HALT TO THE EXCESSIVE TAXATION WITH NO ROI AS TO ACADEMIC IMPROVEMENT AND WOULD HAVE HELPED PEOPLE WHO COULDN'T HAVE AFFORDED THE EXTRA TAXES OUT OH THEIR PAYCHECKS. IT HAS BECOME A POOR COMMUNITY BUT THE SCHOOL LEADERS, LEVY SUPPORTERS AND CITY LEADERS DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE FINANCIAL HARDSHIPS IT MAY PLACE ON THOSE LIVING HERE. THEY SIMPLY WANT WHAT THEY WANT AND TO HELL WITH THOSE WHO WOULD STRUGGLE DUE TO THEIR LITTLE "DESIRES".

OH, AND BEING 65 NOW, I DON'T THINK I WILL, NOR DO I WANT TO LIVE TO THE YEAR 2047. LIFE IS NO LONGER A HAPPY PLACE FOR ME. I AM JUST DEAD MAN WALKING GOING THROUGH THE PACES EACH DAY. BETWEEN A FULL TIME JOB AND BEING A CAREGIVER AS SOON AS I WALK THROUGH THE DOOR AFTER WORK, I AM A ROBOT, JUST DOING TASKS.

NO NEED FOR PALLBEARERS BUD. CHEAPER TO CREMATE. WOULDN'T WANT MANAGEMENT TYPES (SUPERS) CARRYING ME TO MY FINAL RESTING PLACE ANYWAY. IT WOULD BE AN INSULT.

CH, SITUATION FOR YOU TO PONDER......

THERE WOULD BE SOME IRONY IF, AS YOU REACH RETIREMENT, YOUR HEALTH GOES SOUTH ON YOU, PERHAPS BECOMING PARALYZED AND IN A WHEELCHAIR, DUE TO A STROKE, INCAPABLE OF TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF WITH SOMEONE HAVING TO BATH YOU, GET YOUR MEALS, DRESS YOU, GIVE YOU YOUR MEDICINE EACH DAY AND GO WITH YOU TO YOUR APPTS, TO HAVE TO RELY ON THE LIFT VAN FOR TRANSPORTATION. BET YOU'D VOTE FOR THE SENIORS LEVY TOO, BUD. WHEN YOU'RE IN THAT SITUATION, YOU LOOK FOR ANYTHING THAT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE A TAD BIT EASIER. UNDERSTAND THE DEVASTATION THIS LIFE CAN SOMETIMES OFFER YOU AND YOU'LL UNDERSTAND WHY CERTAIN DECISIONS ARE MADE. WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES AND YOU'LL UNDERSTAND THE REASON FOR THE YES VOTE ON THE SENIORS LEVY FROM ME. UNLESS YOU ARE PARALYZED OR TEND TO A FAMILY MEMBER WHO IS, YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT A MEDICAL HARDSHIP CAN DO TO A FAMILY OR YOUR LIFE. IT MAKES YOU BITTER CH. IT MAKES YOU TIRED AND DEPRESSED, AND, SOMETIMES, IT MAKES YOU WISH YOUR LIFE WOULD END JUST TO GET AWAY FROM IT. AT TIMES, IT IS HELL ON EARTH JUST TO MAINTAIN A SEMBLENCE OF A LIFE.

IN THE OVERALL SCHEME OF THINGS, THIS LITTLE DISCUSSION/COMBAT/BARBS ABOUT SCHOOL LEVIES AND THE NIMRODS RUNNING THE CITY.....THIS FORUM.......DOESN'T MATTER IN THE END......FOR ANY OF US....ON EITHER SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT.

SOMETIMES, NOT ALWAYS, I AM CAPABLE OF PUTTING THINGS IN THEIR PROPER PERSPECTIVE.......NEVERTHELESS, I APPRECIATE YOUR HUMOR HERE. HELL, I APPRECIATE ANY HUMOR.   

chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 7:15am
VV: it's been nice funnin' with you. I have been retired for a number of years, and I understand the heartaches that come along. I, honestly, never thought that life would be this tough at my age. The All-American dream has crumbled in the last decade, and it seems that life has become a nightmare. On a serious note, have you taken advantage of the Homestead Act, now that you're 65? It reduced my taxes by about $500/year.   See you in the next post. just 1chmoore.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 7:37am

VV: it's been nice funnin' with you. I have been retired for a number of years, and I understand the heartaches that come along. I, honestly, never thought that life would be this tough at my age. The All-American dream has crumbled in the last decade, and it seems that life has become a nightmare. On a serious note, have you taken advantage of the Homestead Act, now that you're 65? It reduced my taxes by about $500/year.   See you in the next post. just 1chmoore.

YES SIR I DID APPLY FOR THE HOMESTEAD ACT AS I HAVE A MEDICAL DISABILITY SITUATION AND HAD ABOUT 3% KNOCKED OFF MY PROPERTY TAXES BECAUSE OF IT. THANKS FOR THE TIP.

AGREE. I THOUGHT WHEN I WAS DONE WORKING (IN ABOUT 4.5 YEARS FROM NOW AND WITH 51 YRS. IN) THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO FINALLY LEARN HOW TO RELAX A LITTLE. PROBABLY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I'LL GO FROM HAVING TWO JOBS TO JUST ONE AS I WILL SPEND MY RETIREMENT TAKING CARE OF THE WIFE. ANY TRAVEL IN RETIREMENT WILL BE IN MY DREAMS ONLY. RETIREMENT WILL BE UNDER SEVERE LIMITATIONS AS TO FREEDOM. UNTIL 5 YEARS AGO, I THOUGHT THAT I WAS HEADED TO SOME DEGREE OF ENJOYMENT AFTER WORKING. NOT GONNA HAPPEN NOW. OH WELL.....YA JUST DO WHAT YA HAVE TO DO TO KEEP GOING.   
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 8:04am
I encourage all voters to read The Coleman Report, also known as the Equality of Educational Opportunity (study), EE0, the most comprehensive analytic study in North America associated with K-12 public education and factors which impact performance. This extensive study, conducted in 1966, is considered the gold standard for formulating a baseline of statistical objective data associated with learning and achievement.

Its impact altered segregation of instruction and the impact physical infrastructure (building) had upon academic achievement.

It's Results:

1. Separation of races inversely negatively impacts performance.

2. No statistical correlation exists between physical buildings and academic achievement.

3.  Capital expenditures per pupil per capita income, did not alter academic performance positively.

Conclusion

The factors limiting performance are home environment, financial home life (poor), and general socio-economic status. In other words, a student will not excel without a strong and stable family experience and financial stabailty.
Brick and mortar does not impact performance; it just acts as a short term placebo of well-being, maskinmg statistical significant measures that do effect academic outcomes.

Translation

No building, even a new one, with pastel colors, and fresh smell, impacts academic performance. If the district has students coming from unstable homes, expect performance to be poor.

The Game-changer

Ohio's reduction to those age 65 and making $30,000 or less makes the older voter think with their pocket book at risk.

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~ldsmith/garnet-ldsmith/Coleman%20Report.pdf

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 8:21am
The Coleman Report Con't

Executive Summary:

Federal Education Policy and the States, 1945-2009

The Johnson Years: The Coleman Report - Equal Educational Opportunity

In 1966, in an attempt to resolve this dilemma, professor James Coleman and others at The Johns Hopkins University were commissioned by U.S. Commissioner of Education Harold Howe to conduct a major study of the question: which strategy was more likely to equalize educational opportunities for poor minority students-compensatory education or racial integration? Coleman's federally funded analysis, titled Equality of Educational Opportunity, concluded, first, that racial integration did little to boost academic achievement in urban schools. "Our interpretation of the data," Coleman wrote, "is that racial integration per se is unrelated to achievement insofar as the data can show a relationship." Coleman added, however, that compensatory education-whether offered in racially integrated or in racially segregated schools-was similarly unlikely to improve achievement levels. As Coleman explained, "differences in school facilities and curricula, which are made to improve schools, are so little related to differences in achievement levels of students that, with few exceptions, their efforts [or the effects of different classes or curricula] fail to appear in a survey of this magnitude."

Some of the studies done as part of a re-analysis of Coleman's data at Harvard reached similar conclusions, suggesting that the best way to improve academic achievement was neither to integrate students nor to offer compensatory programs but, rather, to raise overall family income. According to the work of sociologist David Armor, "programs which stress financial aid to disadvantaged black families may be just [as] important, if not more so, than programs aimed at integrating blacks into white neighborhoods and schools." Still another study concluded that the "racial composition of the school . . . does not have a substantial effect [on academic achievement]-not nearly so strong as the social class composition of the school." In other words, when it came to improving academic achievement in the inner city, what mattered most was neither special programs nor racial integration but, rather, family background and socio-economic status. This conclusion became more and more established over time, but policies at the state and federal level nonetheless continued to focus primarily on narrow school-based reforms.

blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 2:30pm
Acclaro, that study pretty much sums up the problem in Middletown.

Look around this city. It is much different now than the good old days. This city and the educational system was built on steel. The high paying jobs were working as much overtime as possible in a mill. Moms stayed at home or worked as teachers, nurses or secretaries. Our schools' curriculum and expectations were to educate a person enough to work in the blue collar system or the lucky few had the oppurtunity to go on to college.

Fast forward a couple decades to No Child Left Behind. The education game changer. No longer could a student be passed through the system without the guarantee that they would at least be able to read the questions on a standardized test. Nice in theory, but causing nightmares for school administrations and systems. Especially those with working class cultures where education wasn't the central theme around the dinner table.

So, what do you do with these kids who can't find the support they need to pass all of these tests? I mean, no two people are alike, and just because Johnny can't seem to pass this rigorous testing doesn't mean that he can just pass through the system, graduate, and go on to work in a trade job like the generations before him. No, we must now create special services for Johnny called IEPs and 504 plans that Johnny's teachers must follow to make sure Johnny has the same educational opportunities even though Johnny can't sit still long enough to read a paragraph. Johnny's dad works at a fast food place now, and his mom can't work because that would put them over the poverty line so they would lose all that support, medical and welfare based. But Johnny will pass those darn tests, even if they are alternative versions of the real one- because that's the way it is now.

And that is just an example of parents who do actually care. If our city is so eaten up with drugs and crime, how do you think these peoples children are acting in school? Do you think they have a supportive network to tell and teach them how to pass these tests? Other than the teacher differentiating lesson plans for 20-30 students?

What does this have to do with Vail? Well, the new ways of implementing supportive educational services need new technology and updated buildings to support that technology. Besides just being old and literally falling down. Ms. Andrews can't come on here and say, hey guys you all caused this problem with your Appalachian culture and years behind segregation issues. You guys built your city on sub par education, just good enough to read a time clock or TV manual. It will take decades to move this city's education system up enough to meet the standards of entry level freshman college English for the socioeconomic disadvantaged student.

So what about those kids who are excelling? The kids who keep the test scores up or improving? Too bad so sad you smart, future college bound children. Sorry about your luck. We're going to stick you in a building in the middle of drug infested neighborhoods, expect you to make good choices, and also reward parents who decided to stick with this city- by keeping you there. Congrats for being a good kid, don't touch the hypodermic needles on the sidewalk.

Just ask any of the 30-something parents with decent jobs and the chance to move. Ask them where they're are planning on sending little Emma or Jason. Theey will tell you that they're either moving, open enrolling to another district if they can, or going the private route. The poor fools (like me) who can't move or afford private are twiddling our thumbs because we also can't open enroll because of transportation issues.

Will a new school improve test scores? Probably not. Will a new school improve behavior issues? Maybe. It could at least change the layout so the bad kids have less places to hide or the administration can keep an eye on things easier. And Johnny might have a better chance of learning in a more adequate environment.

But Blue, this school system in MA got their scores up in 4 years, why can't we? I don't know. Maybe they fought the system and figured out how to get some kids more excited about reading than how they were going to eat dinner or got rid of homework because between watching their siblings and hustling, there wasn't much time. Or maybe they created magnent schools for those with different needs.
Kind of like the charters in this town (they just need about 5 more to deal with our problems). Anyone remember Garfield?

Welcome to the future. So what happens when Vail actually does need repaired but we don't have the funds or that levy fails? Who cares about the operating cost for heat or power. Just keep feeding the money pit. None of you would work without air conditioning on the third floor with a bunch of stinky hormonal 8th graders. I seriously doubt many of you would last a day in the trenches down there, unless you worked in the mills.

I'm rambling, but reading this stuff is infuriating. Who cares about signs? Do something important with that extra time. Go create a historic society or try to improve your city by making the downtown nice... oh wait...
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 4:30pm
Blue:

You were doing well...until that last paragraph. It showed that you have a lot to learn.

Go back to the school of life.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 4:48pm
I'm rambling, but reading this stuff is infuriating.
Who cares about signs?
Really?....You don't think following the law is important?
Do something important with that extra time. Go create a historic society or try to improve your city by making the downtown nice... oh wait...
Blue surly you do not want me of all people to respond to this comment LOLLOLLOLLOL
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:59pm
I just wanted to clarify that I do not work for MCSD and I'm not a teacher., if you can't tell from my terrible spelling and grammar. To be fair I am posting from my phone which is tedious and impossible to edit.

I was joking/jabbing in that last paragraph. I know many here have worked towards improving this city. The only horse I have in this race are my kids and my community.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 8:40am

Blue7
While talking to my granddaughter on the phone last night I suddenly remembered that education is much more than bricks and mortar.
Why don’t we fill a few school buses with kiddies and take them to the Knohn Conservatory to the “Butterfly Show” that is getting ready to open.
Nothing like seeing the wonder in a child’s eyes as they squeal with delight when a butterfly lands on them….it’s pure magic!
And my children never forgot the Rain Forest with the big water fall.
Why not give them a science lesson that they will never forget.

http://www.cincinnatiparks.com/butterflyshow/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic