FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swallens Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swallens Update
    Posted: Oct 06 2008 at 10:45am
Reading through Ms. Gilleland's notes on Perry Thatcher making a request to retain the Swallens building for future business. Haven't heard the outcome of that request from Mr. Thatcher. Did city council make a decision to wait as Thatcher requested or demolish it?

10/7/08- Has anyone heard whether Ms. Gilleland and the council has decided in Thatcher's favor or are they going to demolish it? Haven't read in the Journal or heard discussion in council on this since Gilleland's comments in her City Manager's notes.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2008 at 11:03am
I agree with Perry. Why spend millions tearing things down.
What's next, the Manchester?
drumford View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2008 at 12:49pm
Interestingly Middfest was not allowed to use the Swallens building this year unless they could come up with $6,000.  Is this a sign that the city is no longer interested in Middfest?  They also refused police patrols and lights.  Although the event filled every hotel in the area and brought in a much needed boost to the local ecconomy it would appear that Ms. Gilleland does not see the value of the event.
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2008 at 1:39pm
The Swallens building has been empty for 20+ years.
Mr.Thatcher has ample opportunity to either buy it or find a renter. He is obviously interested since it sits accross from his failing Manchester Inn and his surrounding properties(the former CG&E building and the two former banks at the corner of Main and Central).

Is tearing the building down prudent at this expense?
Probably not, since there is no better proposed use for the site(and the parking garage). The old Montgomery Wards building nearby also might be razed. Sorg, the burned out structure on the river, the un-used bicentennial commons, and the seriously water-damaged and pretty much un-salvageable AK-owned(?) structure across from the Bash location.

No police protection for Midfest, after supplying the same(on credit) for the air show?
Any word if the city has been re-imbursed(or will be) for the air show security yet?

Still--with the market tanking big-time due to the economic disaster heavily fueld by the bail-out(which was supposed to save us!), there will be little cash flow to spur new economic development or business expansion risks.

The up-coming Obama election and the tax grabs to soon follow will only depress the market and business thinking even more. We can bail out the losers forever, though if it destroys the remaining winners, all will be lost.

jmo
Revolution?
Will you be the problem or the solution?
Kick out the jams, brothers and sisters!
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2008 at 4:53pm
Does Perry own the Manchester?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2008 at 7:37am
Yes, with partners. The Levy family, I believe and one other partner.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2008 at 11:14am

drumford - where do you get the figure that Middfest filled every hotel room in the city?  I would bet my last dollar that if you asked the Best Western, the Ramada Inn or any hotel at I-75 they would tell you a different story. 

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2008 at 4:21pm
HereIam:
I think Mr. Rumford is more correct than you think. We have increased our hotel room number, yet many hotels in the area were filled to near capacity from the looks at the parking lots.

Also restaurants greatly benefited too.

Congratulations to Middfest organizers, this was a excellent event!

Also I am very disapointed in the City for not supporting Middfest. This is not what we need. I understand that the airport people helped out with hangar space for free. Way to go!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

HereIam:
Also I am very disapointed in the City for not supporting Middfest. This is not what we need. I understand that the airport people helped out with hangar space for free.

Uh, Jonathon, aren't the airport facilities owned by the City???  And didn't the City Manager compliment the city staff by saying: "Our crews are doing a great job of balancing the special activities with the storm clean-up"???

I'm not trying to start an arguement, but it is difficult for me to understand how anyone can say that they are "disapointed in the City for not supporting Middfest"!!!

PS:  If you answer this, please don't expect a reply very soon.  I am not ignoring you, but I will only have sporadic internet access for the next couple of weeks.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 11:30am
Mike:

Good point if it was the citiy's hangars. Not sure that is the case, but I don't know for sure.
Why would Mr. Runford complain about the lack of police assistance at the event? Again, I don't know for sure, but I did consider the source.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 5:10pm
Jonathan:

Further to my original post, consider this quote from Ms. Gilleland's 10/10/2008 Weekly newsletter:

"As Council knows, this festival continues to be supported by the City. In addition to the $10,000 cash contribution, we also provide $10,000 cash in postage and copying costs. Our City crews also work 3 weeks prior to the festival and a week afterward."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic