Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$1.6 Million Weatherwax Deal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $1.6 Million Weatherwax Deal
    Posted: Sep 17 2014 at 10:25am
Ed Richter of the Dayton Daily News is reporting that  the  $1.6 million sale of Weatherwax Golf Course closed last week, and the property has been transferred to its new owner, a Hamilton auctioneer who says there is a 50 percent chance that it will remain a golf course in 2015.

According to old reports the city is losing around $150k per year on the course not including a $250k annual debt payment for improvements done on fairways several years ago. 

City Manager Doug Adkins expects the sale will result in a savings to the city up to $400k/yr.

When I last spoke to Dave Tieman, the golf pro/manager, he was neutral on if the course would open next year. Also the paper is reporting that revenues this year are on par with last year despite an increase in rounds played.

I played out there last week and the course was in good condition. Personally I would feel a loss if Weatherwax was ever to close.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2014 at 1:10pm
Will have to get out there
If it goes, this would be a huge loss/mistake imo
Outstanding public facility that priced itself too low
I belong to a nice private course(also seriously struggling), but still pay to play Weatherwax.
I would really miss this place.
The Weatherwax family is sad and disappointed.
City should have given their gifted land back to them imo, and treated the family very poorly throughout this process.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2014 at 3:32pm
50/50?  It sounds like there has been no significant change in public use of the course.  Did they think there would be a giant increase..and why?  It smells like a plan to turn the property into another use.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2014 at 9:45pm
It is predictable. The buyer said he would do what it required to make a profit. I'd say more 80/20 build houses, with a nine hole course, or 18, if an upscale development can economically be supported.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2014 at 9:08am
I think the smarter option for the city was to keep 18 of the 36 holes and sell, subdivide the rest.

Alien View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2014 at 4:54pm
I played golf at Weatherwax over the weekend - probably for the last time before it closes permanently.

It did not take long for the Myron Bowling to get his auction signs up. Check out the November 15th auction liquidation details at www.myronbowling.com.

After the City paid off their debt and sale obligations, they received less than $100,000 out of the sale. Another example of great decision by Council.

Pathetic leadership!

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2014 at 5:16pm

http://myronbowling.com/Auctions/Weatherwax-Golf-Course-714C50.html?LayoutID=23

http://myronbowling.com/Auctions/Weatherwax-Golf-Course-715C50.html?LayoutID=23
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Alien Alien wrote:

I played golf at Weatherwax over the weekend - probably for the last time before it closes permanently.

It did not take long for the Myron Bowling to get his auction signs up. Check out the November 15th auction liquidation details at www.myronbowling.com.

After the City paid off their debt and sale obligations, they received less than $100,000 out of the sale. Another example of great decision by Council.

Pathetic leadership!

So the whole thing is gone after this year?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 9:50am
I thought maybe the new owner would retain an 18 hole course and develop the rest.  But auctioning off all the equipment tells me the golfing is finished.  What would go out there -- houses?
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 11:35am
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 11:36am
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 11:37am
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 11:41am
John Beagle

Middletown USA

sportsnut View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sportsnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 1:22pm
What a sad day.  I no longer live in the Middletown area, but grew up on Mosiman road.  Learned to play on that course and would play it whenever coming back to town.  Lots of wonderful memories from that facility.   This stinks.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 2:24pm
Very sad day. I loved this course. I will try to get out at least once more before they close for good. The course is still in very good shape. Cry
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 5:26pm
My favorite public course anywhere
A local gift and treasure given away like just another decayed structure in the area formerly known as our downtown.

Another bad decision by Council/Admin, which was plagued by a non-workable employee pay structure imo.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 8:55pm
SJ, are you referring to course director Tieman making over $70,000 when there are golf pro's half his age making half that money?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2014 at 7:24am
not directly
thought greens fees were too low
weren't groundskeepers on city wage/benny packages?
not particularly promoted well imo
but I am not close enough to know that much about it
so I should probably just shut up
though I also want to play there again and will miss this gem of a local treat
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2014 at 10:04am
spider, you raise several good points.

I think someone who knew how to run and promote golf courses would do very well and be very profitable. 
Golf is on the downswing right now. All golf courses left standing after this downturn will become gold mines.

We need someone with vision and marketing experience to take over Weatherwax Golf Course.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2014 at 10:58am
At this point what you need is someone who can disable bulldozers-cuz the fairways and the rough are about to become one and the same...
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2014 at 3:04pm
And the sign says "Business Opportunity"

John Beagle

Middletown USA

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2014 at 8:33am
City Manager Doug Adkins reviewed the various accomplishments of the city in 2014 that included the sale of the Bank One/Goetz Tower, the former Manchester Inn, the Sonshine Building, Se bald Park, Weathercocks Golf Course,LOL yo ED!! what you smoking??? LOL  closing the city’s public housing authority, placing the Community Center under CBI leadership and an increase in income tax revenues...  Mr. doug how in the world can you call those accomplishments?? geeeez !!! 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2014 at 10:44am
What house did Mr. Adkins buy in Middletown before his contractual date of 6 months of taking the job.....or is he just commuting, and living a few days a week in an apartment. Probably the latter.

I'd last .5 day on accomplishments he cited in the private sector before being fired. Oh how I wish I had studied for the MPA, and been a city manager, retired at 50, triple dipped, and never had a day of stress from job related issues.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2014 at 8:26am
Doing a search of real estate records on the Butler County Auditor's website, it does not appear that Mr. Adkins owns any real estate in the city of Middletown or Butler County in general.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2014 at 9:04am
There are plenty of nice homes available in Middletown with 4 bed rooms at a reasonable price less that what he's asking for his.Some in the Oaks and Manchester Manor. What's he waiting for? Unless he's upside down in his mortgage. I don't think that's the case. IMO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic