Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$1.6 Million Weatherwax Deal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2014 at 10:04am
I've thought from the beginning that Adkins is not moving here.  At most he would rent a cheap apartment and claim he is a resident.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2014 at 2:29pm
Five minutes of quick research will give you his address in Mason and then you can see that Doug's house is on the market.

Cut the guy some slack.  I found the budget presentation thoughtful and goal-oriented.  One of the best I've seen in a long time for the city.

http://sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1411037/5458-Concord-Crossing-Dr-Mason-OH-45040

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2014 at 2:55pm
Dougie's current home is <***GASP***> VINYL SIDING!!!

Are Kohler and the Historic Commission aware of this???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2014 at 3:13pm
The house looks about as boring as Doug does!
Maybe he's waiting for the Bank One/Goetz Tower condos to be finished or even the Journal Building condos!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2014 at 4:48pm
lol--tough bunch here
I would be wary if moving here for the first time
while a very nice home can be found for low $$, job security and quality of life are huge factors
then throw in a reasonably large family and it becomes a very important decision
he didn't cause the majority of our mess, and gets a chance to fix it
time will tell....
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2014 at 5:05pm
if YOU were moving here now with a large family and had Mr.A's income range, where would YOU locate, and how much would YOU spend?
Where would you send your children to school?

just wondering, since we are all pretty familiar with the community--fair ??
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 9:30am
Although Mr A didn't create all of the problems, he did make a choice to move here with his family and is being paid well to do just that. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods where he can purchase a home. Now that he is a Middletown Boy, it would only be proper to send his children to Middletown City Schools. I believe if you work for a city you should live in that city and send your children to their city schools and that should go for ALL city employees, not just the city manager.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

if YOU were moving here now with a large family and had Mr.A's income range, where would YOU locate, and how much would YOU spend?

It is a fair question.

I'd try and stay in the $185-$240k price range.  Really isn't a reason to go beyond that.

As far as neighborhoods, if I were he, I would consider homes around the old hospital and/or the rosedale/milton/fleming area, depending on taste.  I think it would send a good message if he picks an older, more central neighborhood, indicating his has faith in Middletown's established neighborhoods.  It would also put him closer to the City Building. 

As far as schools are concerned, if he purchased a home in Renaissance, kids would go to either Franklin or Lebanon, spending on which section of the neighborhood the house is in.  Personally speaking, I see no issues sending kids to Middletown.  Making education a priority begins in the home, and kids can excel in the MCSD. 

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 2:29pm
He'll but Bill Akers Sr house on Rosedale.

He'll send his kids to Fenwick.

He'll watch Middletown continue its decline, while hiring mothpieces, pr interns, ED staff, to tell others how Middletown was in the past, but turning the corner. In other words, same story the past 30 years.

When is the HUD announcement coming by the way, the press release delayed for months.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 3:06pm
He will take his glorious time in selecting a new home. After all, HE IS the City Manager. We go by Mr. A-Almighty's rules now, even though we's all know this is just a stepping stone to the next gom'ment job. He continues to hide behind sheep's cloth. He is not a Shepard. Him pushing the sale of Weatherwax in the first place is another Sin, not the success he preaches. He thinks we dumb.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Look north and east.....Oaks, Manchester Manor, DiVinci Dr. Areas around Thorn Hill, Rosedale from Milton out to Breiel are nice, older neighborhoods. Dorset, Eaton Dr. McGee- very nice older homes. As swohio mentions, the old hospital area has great appeal. Sadly, as time goes by, the neighborhoods around Euclid and Kensington, once very nice, have lost a step or two in prestige. Like stacked dominos, the neighborhoods starting south and west and heading north and east are falling.

Kids go to Fenwick or Monroe schools if possible. Middletown public is not a choice if quality is important. Too many indicators as to a poor to mediocre education to be had here. Not at all like it use to be.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2014 at 6:23pm
Speaking of the Sec 8 fiasco: I suppose most have forgotten the lies and deception on that and we know how that ended. He can blame it all on Judy saying he was just "doing what he was told" but that only goes so far. Too many nasty thing from his office to believe it was all Judy. He loved the power and he's loving this power even more. Saying all the right things to win over as many as he can. Wel'll see if a tiger can change his spots. Sec8 is gone. Officially Nov 1 . Nelson & Nelson gone Jan 1. So I've heard.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 4:03pm
Not sure if this was posted yet or not, but just ran across the listing for Weatherwax up for sale.  $2,250,000

Alien View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 11:39am
Kinda got off topic with a discussion about Doug's house. I am hearing that a golf course operator has been working with Bowling on a lease for next year but doesn't sound too positive.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 5:02pm
From MJ:
Weatherwax to remain golf course in 2015

Middletown golf pro Jim Kraft signs one-year lease with property owner

MIDDLETOWN —
Weatherwax Golf Course will remain a golf course — at least for another year — after a local golf professional finalized a deal Thursday with the landowner to lease the property through November 2015.

Jim Kraft, of WMVH LLC, signed a one-year lease with Myron Bowling Auctioneers, Inc., to keep Weatherwax open as a golf course. Both parties declined to disclosed the value of the lease agreement, but confirmed that it goes into effect Nov. 3 and runs through Nov. 1, 2015.

Myron Bowling, a Hamilton auctioneer who bought the 36-hole golf course from the city of Middletown for $1.6 million, said Kraft has an option to continue to lease the property “for as many years as he’d like to after that.”

“Everybody wants a golf course, and now it’s a golf course again,” Bowling said in a phone interview with the Journal-News. “If you want it to stay a golf course, then go golf.”

Some residents and local golfers worried that Weatherwax might be leased or sold for some other use. When Bowling closed the deal with the city last month for Weatherwax, he indicated there was a “50-50 possibility” that it could re-open as a golf course next year.

In fact, an auction for the property, equipment and other items was scheduled for Nov. 15, but after the deal with Kraft, the event has been canceled, Bowling said. He said nothing, including golf carts and other equipment, belonging to the golf course has been sold.

Bowling confirmed there were parties other than Kraft interested in Weatherwax, and at least one person had a use other than a golf course in mind for the land located in Madison Twp.

“But that didn’t come to fruition,” Bowling said. “We were on a timeline, and he (Kraft) had a ready offer so we kept it a golf course.”

Kraft, 57, of Middletown, has 28 years of experience in the golf industry, which includes having been a golf pro at Pleasant Hill Golf Club since 1988. He said his motivation for leasing Weatherwax is simple.

“I didn’t want to see it close, and I thought it was a good business opportunity,” said Kraft, who plays Weatherwax about twice a week during the golf season. “When I saw the auction sign up at Weatherwax I asked them in they were entertaining anyone on leasing the golf course, and they said yes.”

Kraft said the deal took about three weeks to negotiate after he first approached Bowling about the lease. He said his next steps will be to familiarize himself with the grounds and course operations.

Kraft said he plans to keep just about everything the same at Weatherwax, but hasn’t made any final decisions about staffing yet. Dave Tieman, the longtime golf professional at Weatherwax, will work his last day there on Nov. 2.

“It’s going to be a privilege to serve our customers and the Middletown area,” said his brother David Kraft. “We are really looking forward to it.”

City Manager Doug Adkins said Thursday any plan that keeps the golf course open and available to the public is great for the citizens of Middletown.

“I hope the course remains open for years to come and wish any operator good luck in their endeavor,” Adkins said in an email to the Journal-News.
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2014 at 1:26pm
Lets go play golf and keep it open?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2014 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Lets go play golf and keep it open?

Maybe a MiddletownUSA outing!

Thumbs Up
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic