FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verity School

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Verity School
    Posted: Sep 24 2014 at 7:52am
From the Journal...

Verity school heads to auction block

MIDDLETOWN —
Board members are hoping the former George M. Verity Middle School on Johns Road can be sold and redeveloped, and not abandoned like two other former school buildings the district previously owned.

The board voted Monday night to auction the school and the nearly 59 acres it sits on, but unlike the original proposal, the district will auction the property in three options: a 38-acre plot, a 21-acre plot or the entire property. Board members said they believe dividing the property may make it more attractive to potential investors, while George Long, the district’s business manager, said it has “more value” as one parcel.

There was much debate among board members, but everyone agreed the property near Lefferson Park and Freedom Court needs to be occupied, unlike the former Amanda and Lincoln schools that were vacant for several years and became neighborhood eye scores after they were sold. Board President Marcia Andrew said even after the properties were sold, the public perception was the district still owned the buildings.

Long said the property and the school building have been appraised at $740,000 by Integra Realty Resources in Cincinnati. He said if the school was demolished, the acreage would be worth about $250,000, according to the appraisal.

As dictated by law, after the property was appraised, it was offered to charter and community schools, but there was no interest, Long said. He said since the land isn’t part of the district’s master plan, it should be auctioned, which would eliminate the “minimal” cost of maintaining the property. He said all power has been turned off in the school, but vandals sometimes try to enter the building. Middletown police have been called to the school three times on intruder calls this year, according to Middletown Division of Police records.

The 77,000-square-foot school was constructed in 1968 and a 2,588-square-foot media center was added in 1993, Long said. Years ago, the district considered moving the high school and junior high to that site. On Nov. 7, 2005, the district purchased an additional 20 acres for $400,000, according to the Butler County Auditor’s office. Long said after the 2008 recession, the district lost money on the property.

Verity was closed in 2012 when the district consolidated the two middle schools and opened the Highview Sixth Grade Center as a budget-reducing move.

Long said after reviewing the bids at auction, the board would vote whether to accept any of the bids. He has had several discussions with potential buyers of the property, though he didn’t want to disclose those businesses or organizations. He said groups interested in the property should contact the district. He expects the auction to take place within the next two months.

NEW MEDIA CENTER BUILT IN 1993- DIDN'T GET MUCH OUT OF THAT MONEY SPENT, DID WE?

THEY PURCHASED ADDITIONAL PROPERTY AND ENDED UP LOSING MONEY ON THE TRANSACTION. WHAT ELSE IS NEW WITH REGARD TO PEOPLE RUNNING THIS CITY?

SCHOOL IS 46 YEARS OLD, NOT OLD BY BUILDING STANDARDS, YET WE HAVE TO HAVE A NEW ONE BUILT OUT BY THE HIGH SCHOOL TO GIVE US THAT "CAMPUS LOOK". THERE IS ACREAGE TO EXPAND THIS SCHOOL IF NEEDED BUT THAT IS IRRELEVANT AT THIS POINT.

IT IS OVER AND DONE WITH, BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS BUILDING COULDN'T HAVE BEEN USED FOR THE MIDDLE SCHOOL, GIVEN THE SITUATION. NO JUSTIFICATION FOR THE EXTRA TAXPAYER MONEY SPENT ON THE CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW ONE....THE SCHOOL BOARD AND FRIENDS JUST WANT ALL NEW, AS IF THAT WILL MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE ON THE FINAL OUTCOME OF THE EDUCATION PROCESS. NEW BUILDINGS, NO QUALITY CONTENT.

I'M BETTING THERE WILL BE NO TAKERS, ESPECIALLY AT THE PRICE LISTED, AND THEY WILL WANT TO SPEND MORE MONEY ON THE DEMOLITION IN A YEAR OR TWO. LIKE THE CITY, THE SCHOOL PEOPLE ENJOY DESTROYING THINGS WITH YOUR MONEY.

FRUSTRATING TO SEE NO CHANGE IN THE THINKING WITHIN THE CITY. THE WHEEL OF INEPTNESS KEEPS TURNING AS WE SIT BACK AND WATCH THE CARNAGE DONE TO THE CITY.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2014 at 8:48am

They should just gift it to the city.  I'm sure they can eventually expand Lefferson Park for more pickleball courts or use it for more Section 8 housing.  Freedom Court, part 2!

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2014 at 9:14am
Heard that it may be purchased by a church
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2014 at 9:20am
Quote "Long said the property and the school building have been appraised at $740,000 by Integra Realty Resources in Cincinnati. He said if the school was demolished, the acreage would be worth about $250,000, according to the appraisal."

I realize that the difference in appraised value can vary between what the banks / realtors say it is worth versus the county, but someone is either severely undervaluing or overvaluing the property. The article says the appraisal is around $750k, yet the county appraises the building and property at $5,662,460. That's a major difference.

Value History, 1993-2013 from County Auditor's Website
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2014 at 9:43am
Yet another church wanting to act like a mega-church and have their sprawling campus and waste a ton of land. Priorities people!
linette View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2014 at 10:22am
A church wants the old Monroe High School.  Are you possibly confusing the two?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2014 at 10:55am
No--I was only talking about the local school
My source was definite bug could be incorrect
If so sorry for the confusion
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2014 at 4:16am
Could it be the church that has been holding service at MHS for the past few years is the one?
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2014 at 9:17am
It was my understanding that Berachah Baptist Church was interested in the property.  They are the church currently meeting at MHS.  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2014 at 10:38am
While not on the topic of Verity, but staying on the topic of Middletown schools, I see the Journal had a segment on a new security system that was installed at Rosa Parks Elementary. While not front page news, I would like to know how much this system cost the taxpayers, what fund supplied the money for this and was a new system installed in all the Middletown schools? If not, why just this one school? Has there been a history of crime at Rosa Parks lately to justify this expenditure? The Journal segment doesn't elaborate.

Could you fill us in on the details Ms. Andrew? Again, thank you, in advance, for the info.

It is always good to know up front how our money is being spent, under the theme of frugality, of course.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2014 at 11:54am
Vet: from the article: "...a state grant will be used to pay for each of the $500 systems, and he hopes to recoup the $500 the district spent on a similar system last year at Rosa Parks Elementary School." Further, "Anthony Comer, the first-year principal at Rosa Parks, agreed. He called the camera and audio system an “added measure” to the district’s security. He said there haven’t been any issues at the school this year, and there are “response teams” in place to assure no visitors can get beyond the office."   just 1chmoore
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2014 at 1:17pm
What about the Security-Camera Systems installed when the schools were built?
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2014 at 4:24pm
Miss Kitty: those were upgraded and expanded in the summer of 2013. just 1chmoore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

Vet: from the article: "...a state grant will be used to pay for each of the $500 systems, and he hopes to recoup the $500 the district spent on a similar system last year at Rosa Parks Elementary School." Further, "Anthony Comer, the first-year principal at Rosa Parks, agreed. He called the camera and audio system an “added measure” to the district’s security. He said there haven’t been any issues at the school this year, and there are “response teams” in place to assure no visitors can get beyond the office."   just 1chmoore

Thank you ch. Somehow, when I opened the story, the article just gave me the video and the title but no story under the video. Dunno what happened.

Your info lends itself to ask further questions........

"he hopes to recoup the $500 the district spent on a similar system last year at Rosa Parks Elementary School"

Just spent $500 last year according to Comer. Needed a new system in just a year's time? Why? Doesn't seem like too much thinking went into purchasing the correct system by this statement. Almost makes one wonder when the next one will be purchased. Usually, if an upgrade is needed, it is incorporated into the original system right, rather than a totally new system installation. Although just 500 bucks and is a state grant (still taxpayer money, just at a different level, right?) just seems a tad bit odd that, within a year's time, a new system is needed. Was a security system figured into the cost when Rosa Parks and the rest of the schools were built?

Just wonder if all 600+ Ohio school districts, times however many schools each have within each district, received a security system like this. At 500 bucks a pop, that could add up to some serious money.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2014 at 6:50pm
Vet: I think that the article is saying that Rosa Parks got a system last year (for $500) on their own; now the district is getting the other nine buildings done (at $500 each) with a grant from the state. Long is hoping that the district will be reimbursed for the $500 that was spent at Rosa Parks. Once again, 1chmoore.   
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2014 at 6:57pm
Vet: Rosa Parks (and the other elementaries) had systems that allowed the same function (remote access). Apparently, technology has progressed in the last eight years to a better system. Also, the public is more safety conscious concerning unwanted visitors in the buildings. just 1chmoore.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2014 at 5:59am
"Apparently, technology has progressed in the last eight years to a better system."

BUT COMER'S COMMENTS STATE THAT THE SYSTEM WAS JUST BOUGHT LAST YEAR, NOT EIGHT YEARS AGO. THE STORY ELUDES TO THE NEW SYSTEM REPLACING A YEAR OLD SYSTEM, DOESN'T IT? WHICH IS CORRECT, THE REPLACED SYSTEM IS EIGHT YEARS OLD OR ONE?

DO PEOPLE WHO OWN HOMES REPLACE SECURITY SYSTEMS EACH YEAR? IN EIGHT YEARS? DUNNO, BUT DON'T BELIEVE THEY DO. THIS WOULD APPEAR TO BE AN EXPENDITURE THAT IS IN EXCESS OF THE NORM AS TO THE LONGEVITY OF SECURITY SYSTEM OFFERS IMO. ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW THE SCHOOLS ACT LIKE THE DAM GOVERNMENT AND WASTE MONEY ON UNNEEDED THINGS PERHAPS?
tracyl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2014 at 9:59am
Holy cow....the system was put at Rosa Parks LAST YEAR and has not been replaced.  MCSD is hoping to recoup the cost as the other buildings have a grant for the SAME system this year.  Better security at ALL the schools is certainly not a waste given the fact that there are crazy, gun-toting kooks out there that like to shoot up kids.  I'd be more worried about what is going on in these schools as far as curriculum with Libbie Lollie in charge of EVERYTHING, but that's just me.  Why isn't anyone asking how Libbie, oops, I mean, the district, is dealing with the 3rd grade reading guarantee?  I know, do you?  
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2014 at 11:31am
Vet: again, from the article: "A Middletown school official believes installing new security systems in the 10 district buildings “sends the right message” to the students, staff and community.

George Long, the district’s business manager, said the district is purchasing nine security units that will be installed this winter. He told school board members at Monday’s meeting that a state grant will be used to pay for each of the $500 systems, and he hopes to recoup the $500 the district spent on a similar system last year at Rosa Parks Elementary School." Where is the confusion?   just 1chmoore

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2014 at 12:07pm
Vet: again, from the article: "A Middletown school official believes installing new security systems in the 10 district buildings “sends the right message” to the students, staff and community.

WELL, BY ALL MEANS, LET'S DO IT IF A "MIDDLETOWN SCHOOL OFFICIAL BELIEVES IT SENDS THE RIGHT MESSAGE TO ALL". THAT MAKES IT LEGITIMATE IF ONE OF OUR ESTEEMED SCHOOL OFFICIALS HAS DEEMED IT NECESSARY, GIVEN THE GREAT TRACK RECORD OF SUCCESS THEY HAVE HAD. WHY DO WE KEEP LISTENING TO THE SUGGESTIONS FROM PEOPLE WHO RUN A SYSTEM THAT IS A HABITUAL FAILURE? WHY DO WE BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY SAY? WHAT SHEEP WE ALL HAVE BECOME TO FOLLOW THE DIRECTION OF THESE SCHOOL PEOPLE WHO HAVE LED THIS DISTRICT INTO MEDIOCRITY WHILE SPENDING INORDINATE AMOUNTS OF MONEY DOING IT.

NO CONFUSION. JUST WONDERING WHY SECURITY SYSTEMS WEREN'T INCLUDED WITH ALL NEW SCHOOLS DURING CONSTRUCTION...AND INCLUDED IN THE PRICE......WHY ARE THEY JUST NOW DISCUSSING THE INSTALLATION OF A SECURITY SYSTEM IN BUILDINGS BUILT SEVERAL YEARS AGO IF SECURITY WAS THIS IMPORTANT. FURTHERMORE, WHY WAS ROSA PARKS THE ONLY NEW SCHOOL TO RECEIVE A SECURITY SYSTEM LAST YEAR? WAS IT A CONCERN BASED ON THE AREA OF TOWN THAT IT IS LOCATED THAT PROMPTED THIS THINKING? A CONCERN DUE TO A BREAKIN POSSIBILITY PERHAPS?

Tracyl....discussion pertaining to the poor performance of not only third graders, but all grade levels has been discussed on this forum including the posting of the proficiency grades as compared to other districts around the area. Discussion has also ensued pertaining to Lolli's dislike at Monroe and since she has been hired by Middletown. Within the school district, no one seems to be happy with this person as her attitude has been a "my way or the highway" choice. Obviously, she has some supporters in high places as she left Monroe and someone hired her at Middletown, despite her reputation at Monroe. Recycled problem children, somehow, keep finding positions within the good old boy community school network. Superintendents are good at this.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2014 at 8:41am
To un-hijack this thread back to the original topic, I'm still wondering how there can be a nearly FIVE MILLION DOLLAR difference between what the county says the property and buildings are worth and what the realtor that MCSD consulted says it is worth.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic