FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ol' Man RIVER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ol' Man RIVER
    Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 3:46pm

Updated: 9:06 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015 | Posted: 5:09 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015

Middletown river project wins funding

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

A project along the Great Miami River in Middletown is slated to receive state funding.

MetroParks of Butler County announced it would be receiving $2 million in capital funding that will be used for two strategic projects: the construction of the Middletown River Center to be located along the 90-mile Great Miami Recreation River Trail and Great Miami River; and the installation of artificial turf on two of the existing 22 grass fields at Voice of America Park Athletic Complex in West Chester Twp.

Kelly Barkley, MetroParks’ senior manager of community relations, said the presence of the Great Miami River and its trail are tremendous assets that are currently underutilized by the general population, both locally and regionally. The trail system serves a population of about two million people, she said.

“People currently do not utilize the resources as much as they might due to the lack of accessibility and the absence of modern conveniences near the trail and river,” she said. “Up-to-date available amenities will draw people in to use and enjoy these areas. The River Center will provide safe drinking water, clean modern restrooms, nearby parking, meeting space, ranger presence in the hub and programming. It will certainly entice a larger number of people to take advantage of the river and trail.”

The 3,100 square-foot River Center will have drinking water, restrooms, reservable public meeting space, as well as a ranger substation that could also accommodate volunteer trail monitors. These features will support programming and trail based recreation.

Barkley said there has been significant progress in conceptual architectural renderings for the proposed River Center. The River Center committee, which includes stakeholders and officials from MetroParks and Middletown, are carefully reviewing the components of the new building so that it can successfully meet the economic development goals that were envisioned for the project, she said.

Barkley said a final site for the River Center has yet to be determined. While there is no specific timeline for the project, including groundbreaking, the targeted grand opening is set for sometime in 2016, she said.

Denise Hamet, Middletown’s economic development director, said the proposed project is a way for the city and MetroParks to take advantage of that portion of the riverfront area.

“We see a lot of possibilities and opportunities,” she said. “Finishing the bike path, getting more programming at the (AK) bandstand and tying it into downtown such as putting packages together to bring people to the Manchester (Hotel).”

Hamet said the city has a perpetual recreational easement with the Miami Conservancy District who owns and controls the riverbanks for flood control.

“This improvement will provide facilities for people, something we don’t have now,” Hamet said.    “It could also feature trail-based educational programming and can be a real community asset.”

Public Safety Director David VanArsdale agreed with Hamet, saying the project is “a great way to tie-in the river corridor and downtown.

“It gives people more reason to come downtown and there are several restaurants available downtown already,” he said. “This is just one more benefit to come to Middletown. One more good reason to be here.”

VanArsdale said he kayaks on the river about every weekend and said the River Center could be a place for anyone using the bike trail to get water or to use a restroom.

Curtis Garner, a Middletown resident who regularly walks, runs and enjoys fishing along the bike trail, thinks the project is a good idea and would be good for business and the local economy.

“I think it’ll be really good for Middletown because Middletown looks like it’s dying and it needs something,” he said. “We got the college and Burlington Coat Factory at the mall open, and we’re trying to get more businesses in Middletown.”

Staff Writer Lot Tan contributed to this report.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 4:35pm
"Denise Hamet, Middletown’s economic development director, said the proposed project is a way for the city and MetroParks to take advantage of that portion of the riverfront area.
    “We see a lot of possibilities and opportunities,” she said. “Finishing the bike path, getting more programming at the (AK) bandstand and tying it into downtown such as putting packages together to bring people to the Manchester (Hotel).”
    Hamet said the city has a perpetual recreational easement with the Miami Conservancy District who owns and controls the riverbanks for flood control.
    “This improvement will provide facilities for people, something we don’t have now,” Hamet said.    “It could also feature trail-based educational programming and can be a real community asset.”
    Public Safety Director David VanArsdale agreed with Hamet, saying the project is “a great way to tie-in the river corridor and downtown.
    “It gives people more reason to come downtown and there are several restaurants available downtown already,” he said. “This is just one more benefit to come to Middletown. One more good reason to be here.”"

What a great idea!! Hamet says we might get some more programming at the AK bandstand and tying it to the downtown. I think that was tried before with the Commons idea that fizzled out as time went by. Now, it, and the hole in the river sit empty as pie-in-the-sky city monuments to futility. AK Steel gave the city the bandstand but the city apparently lost interest and failed to promote the gift to it's fullest potential. How much more money is to be wasted on window dressing ideas before city hall wakes up and actually addresses the basics so badly needed here?

I'm sure this new idea will be a game-changer along the river's edge as it totally reinvigorates the downtown area filling the Manchester and all restaurants to total capacity, while filling the bike path and drawing hundreds of thousands to the west side of town seeking out a place to use the facilities.    It is bold, new, dynamic thinking like this that will turn our city around and focuses on exactly what the people need to prosper. Who knows, someday, we may see the other 90% of the city receive the same attention as the downtown area has seen. One can only hold out hope that someone running the city will come to their senses.....but, then again....
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 4:42pm
Hotel??? What hotel?? There is no hotel downtown!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 4:53pm
Oh, wait!!! I see the hotel!!! It's right between the micro-brewery and the luxury condo building by the light rail station.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 4:59pm
(You just need a trip to the marijuana grow-house to see it!)
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 8:12pm
This is great news!

Young professionals want kayaking, bike riding, trail riding (horses), art, education, and good eating. Middletown will have all of this, and yoga, and wine.

Hoping to bump into former Chief  Van Arsdale on my kayak outing tomorrow before the cold weather comes in on Sunday. I wear a wet suit, I hope he does. Its cold when then turn over and you spin over.     
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 9:12pm
No they don't factguy. They want NASCAR themed bars in which to gorge themselves on chicken wings and bar fare. LOL
How dare you or anyone else try to be forward thinking! How dare you or anyone else try to reinvent the city!! Don't you know that PAST leadership has ruined this city? Don't you know that instead of being positive and trying to offer positive solutions to the city's image you are supposed to tear down everything people propose? You could personally lure back the offices of A.K. and create thousands of other jobs and it still wouldn't be enough. You would be destroyed on this web-site. "What took so long?' " Why were there only 2,000 jobs created?" The narcissism on this site is laughable. Everyone is a know-it-all expert on how to transform the city but no one steps up or offers any ideas. They will say "We've tried and no one will listen." "I just don't have the time." Blah, blah blah. Either lead, follow, or get out of the way gents. 
Middletown... Bright past BRIGHTER FUTURE!!!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 9:55pm
seems like WEST Middletown might be a much better fit, and the future for these kinds of things...our side of the river is honestly not that nice.
The land of investment opportunity lies just across the WEST Middletown bridge imo
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2015 at 12:21am
Sorry...it's just that I'm a realist. And some of you people, including The Journal reporters, often talk about these places as if they actually already exist. Yet, as far as I can tell, no one has even pulled building permits for these multi-million dollar projects!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2015 at 5:49am
Originally posted by middiemom middiemom wrote:

No they don't factguy. They want NASCAR themed bars in which to gorge themselves on chicken wings and bar fare. LOL
How dare you or anyone else try to be forward thinking! How dare you or anyone else try to reinvent the city!! Don't you know that PAST leadership has ruined this city? Don't you know that instead of being positive and trying to offer positive solutions to the city's image you are supposed to tear down everything people propose? You could personally lure back the offices of A.K. and create thousands of other jobs and it still wouldn't be enough. You would be destroyed on this web-site. "What took so long?' " Why were there only 2,000 jobs created?" The narcissism on this site is laughable. Everyone is a know-it-all expert on how to transform the city but no one steps up or offers any ideas. They will say "We've tried and no one will listen." "I just don't have the time." Blah, blah blah. Either lead, follow, or get out of the way gents. 

That's right middiemom, we don't condone stupidity and repeated failure from city leaders on this site. We see what is really there. We present actual facts to support our claims. We remember all the failed attempts and after repeated efforts from city leaders, we actually call them on it. We are not dreamers and deniers of truth as you and others seem to be. We actually hold people accountable for their actions here. If they want to be the big dog in the show, they better perform to receive that title. If you don't agree with us and have us sized up as malcontents always criticizing what they do, why do you participate here? Shouldn't you and your pal Factguy be downtown fraternizing with the dreamweavers down there? Go join your buddies who talk success before it happens. Who see "potential and visions" of success but never produce it. Who talk of growth but deliver nothing of any substance. Just keep living in the dream world they have created for you, buying into every morsel of crap they can shovel while the city crumbles around you. Drink your wine, eat your fru fru food and dream of an arts utopia. Live in that pompous ass world of make believe.

There is a fourth choice to the old "lead, follow or get out of the way" motto. CHANGE the entire direction because what the people who you support are doing has been failing for years. Time to open the eyes and admit you're on the losing side. You are headed for disappointment on your current path. You just don't know it. Neither do they.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2015 at 8:49am
mom and fact and those running this city are full of BS it just keeps on and on seeping out their mouth!! IMO the city is in worse shape now than what it was 7 years ago!! when i loaded the bus and moved to warren county!! LOL as long as they can keep on sucking up the funds and get their paychecks they are happy campers!! there is nothing good that i can see coming to save middletown for years to come!! you all done missed the bus!!
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2015 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

This is great news!

Young professionals want kayaking, bike riding, trail riding (horses), art, education, and good eating. Middletown will have all of this, and yoga, and wine.

Hoping to bump into former Chief  Van Arsdale on my kayak outing tomorrow before the cold weather comes in on Sunday. I wear a wet suit, I hope he does. Its cold when then turn over and you spin over.     

As an individual in my early 20's, I can +1 this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic