FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cursive Writing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cursive Writing
    Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 12:14pm
While talking with my daughter on the phone today I was informed that Indiana Schools no longer teach cursive writing and or penmanship.

Does the Middletown Schools still teach cursive writing?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 2:02pm

In 1888, Charles Paxton Zaner founded the Zanerian College of Penmanship in Columbus, Ohio.
Here is the link to this wonderful story 

https://www.zaner-bloser.com/history
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 8:19pm
I hope not. Waste of time.

I had teachers tell me to stop using it, and I never turn back. Now I view people who use it with disdain... it's a writing style meant for slobs and the cluttered minded.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2015 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Trotwood Trotwood wrote:

I had teachers tell me to stop using it, and I never turn back. Now I view people who use it with disdain... it's a writing style meant for slobs and the cluttered minded.

Oh really. You view people who use it with disdain? That would include generations who still use cursive writing. Checks, grocery lists, letters sent to family members for those who have no computer nor E-Mail, medical notes in Drs' offices, writing notes on the old dry erase board for other family members as a way of communicating in a busy household. Or are we going to print all of our correspondence now? I would imagine cursive is still being used despite all the latest technology. So the texting of today, with all the little shortcuts, is helping learn proper English? On the contrary, I believe it's another step in the dumbing down of the next generation. Kinda like adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing that isn't being learned nowadays.......and you use those techniques from the day you sit in your first classroom until the day you die.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2015 at 10:41am
How can you "sign" your name it you don't use cursive writing? How can you read historical documents if you don't know cursive writing? It may be an antiquated system of writing in the technological 21st century, but I find it quite useful in writing since I don't write on a typewriter or computer. So you can take your "disdain", Trotwood; and... well, you know where to put it!
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2015 at 1:27pm
^It doesn't take a genius to read cursive writing. Heck, a number of typefaces on Word look similar to cursive. Teaching it to third graders is a waste of time!

They should be learning typing and basic word processing skills instead. And about effective web browsing, more spelling words, etc. A billion things could be learned in place of this.

As for signatures, present it to them when they are middle schoolers in a much-needed personal finance class. I utilize multiple signatures for security reasons, and such a place would be a good outlet to teach others to do the same.

And if I can't read what you write, I will most certainly not try to read it. Therefore, I will look upon it in disdain. I may be younger than y'all, so I don't know if you guys remember middle school. I do.

I passed off all kinds of garbage answers with my garbage cursive handwriting, and got A's because of it. In modern society, it's the lazy man's way to write. 

So to put it simply, garbage. It's all garbage. You all have a lot bigger issues at your schools than cursive writing. Like how about teaching kinds to handle situations where drugs or alcohol are present? Or as VietVet mentioned, more time on basic math and science? Or personal finance? Or teach them to the test better?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2015 at 8:30pm
Trotwood, you are young. You represent the new generation who embraces all the new tech gadgets and new wave thinking while having no problem throwing away the old time worn, historically successful ways of the past. There are generations of folks who have thrived on the old ways, even in today's times. It is understandable that you resist the old ideas concerning educating the people. The new ways are all you know.

However, when you age and get a few years in, you will scratch your head and wonder how the youngins' think the way they do, act the way they do, and want to adopt the new ideas in today's world. Because they are new, doesn't make them right.

Be careful about accepting the new age ideas. New ways to teach math. New ways to diagram a sentence to understand the nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives.(if they still do this that is). Reading and deciphering information for understanding. Elimination of cursive writing as we are discussing. (I have seen posts on forums that are one long run-on sentence with absolutely no punctuation nor capitalizing to be seen). No doubt done in the form of texting. The acceptance by the young people of ebonics and text style communication and the lack of writing skills......all will not help you when operating in environments such as corporate America. Neither will talking like a rap song. Those who take the street talk of ebonics or texting style communication into an interview and actually speak as they text are destined to walk out the door with no job in quick fashion. Some older things need to be retained no matter the new age thinking.

We shall agree to disagree on this topic.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2015 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Trotwood Trotwood wrote:

Vet:
Save your pixels!!!

He is obviously "cluttered minded" on this!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2015 at 1:53pm
Oh @#$%^&* it! Just tell the little &*%^$#+'s to--what?
CursIVE writing???
Not cursing writing?
Never mind....
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Trotwood, you are young. You represent the new generation who embraces all the new tech gadgets and new wave thinking while having no problem throwing away the old time worn, historically successful ways of the past. There are generations of folks who have thrived on the old ways, even in today's times. It is understandable that you resist the old ideas concerning educating the people. The new ways are all you know.

However, when you age and get a few years in, you will scratch your head and wonder how the youngins' think the way they do, act the way they do, and want to adopt the new ideas in today's world. Because they are new, doesn't make them right.

Be careful about accepting the new age ideas. New ways to teach math. New ways to diagram a sentence to understand the nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives.(if they still do this that is). Reading and deciphering information for understanding. Elimination of cursive writing as we are discussing. (I have seen posts on forums that are one long run-on sentence with absolutely no punctuation nor capitalizing to be seen). No doubt done in the form of texting. The acceptance by the young people of ebonics and text style communication and the lack of writing skills......all will not help you when operating in environments such as corporate America. Neither will talking like a rap song. Those who take the street talk of ebonics or texting style communication into an interview and actually speak as they text are destined to walk out the door with no job in quick fashion. Some older things need to be retained no matter the new age thinking.

We shall agree to disagree on this topic.

And I believe that is what we have come to. I understand and respect your point of view on this, but it's at least something to be considered. Very few write in cursive anymore. Although I do think there can be a lot of beauty and art in the form of writing, most I know whom use it now are very poor practitioners.

Anyways, I was thinking this would make all of you happy:
(sorry that it is behind the paywall)

Basically House Bill #146 would require all Ohio schools to teach cursive to ensure that third graders can “print letters and words legibly by third grade and to create readable documents using legible cursive handwriting by the end of fifth grade.”

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2015 at 8:18am
https://www.facebook.com/bettered.org/photos/a.492029137519828.109393.299815856741158/887866831269388/?type=1&theater
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic