FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV Middletown building

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV Middletown building
    Posted: May 18 2016 at 7:40am

Posted: 5:18 p.m. Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Dining, retail destination coming to former TV Middletown building

By Eric Schwartzberg

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Ami Vitori purchased a 38,000-square-foot building at 1131 Central Ave. in downtown Middletown last Friday to create a “destination corner” for dining, retail and entertainment on the street level.

That level’s $250,000 renovation effort launched this week and is clearing the way for Gracie’s, an “upscale comfort food-type restaurant” named after Vitori’s grandmother.

Also in the early stages of planning are a wellness and yoga studio and an indoor children’s play place, plus 1,000 square feet of “ready-to-go” retail space.

“I feel like there’s a lot of great things going on that I didn’t want to have just a storefront,” she said. “I want to make this a whole corner destination, where people are going to drive 20 to 30 minutes here as opposed to the reverse.”

Vitori said she is focused on renovating the street level in the coming few months so that there are retail-ready spaces for lease.

Build-out of the restaurant should start by late summer with an opening set to occur before year’s end, she said.

Vitori said she wants to preserve the “great set-up” TV Middletown left behind on the second floor by approaching local schools and universities about using the built-out studio space and extensive film, editing and broadcast equipment.

Planning for the third floor is still in the works, she said.

The building, which will also get a makeover to its front-facing facade, will be known as Torchlight Pass.

“The idea (behind the name) is … that history of Middletown and what’s so great about where we’ve come from but kind of moving now into this new, modern, progressed future version of what Middletown could be. So it’s paying homage to the old, but kind of knowing what we want to do moving forward.

Born and raised in Middletown, Vitori’s family history is interwoven with the city’s own. Her grandparents ran Vitori’s Market in Mayfield and her great-grandfather started Amatulli’s Produce, which is still in operation today.

“My heart has always been in Middletown,” she said. “I have lots of ideas for helping our community and lots of energy to get it done. It’s going to take both.”

After high school, Vitori spent more than two decades away from Middletown, 10 of them in Los Angeles as a movie producer and eight years in Washington, D.C., with Vitori Trend, a branding and strategic communications firm she still runs. She said she knew she would return to family in Middletown with husband Kevin Kiminer and their three sons.

“I just knew there would be something in Middletown to be part of the revitalization, so I started coming downtown a lot because that’s where a lot of the new businesses are starting,” she said.

She said she fell in love with the building’s size, corner location and the abundant amount of outdoor space it afforded.

It also helps that she looked into the project at a time city officials and organizations are partnering with entrepreneurs both in and outside of Middletown to spur revitalization efforts in the area.

“To me there were just a lot of things that felt like they were percolating, and … the next six months to a year could be the tipping point,” she said.

Mallory Greenham, executive director for former tenant Downtown Middletown Inc., said the thought of vibrant downtown districts tends to evoke the image of densely populated areas with diverse business offerings.

Torchlight Pass’ plans to renovate first floor space that was primarily used for office space to return retail and restaurant space to downtown Middletown will no doubt, once completed, contribute to an increase in both,” Greenham said.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 8:54am
Nice to see Ms. Vitori take an interest in her hometown. Seems she has a lot of success in her business ventures elsewhere. I wish her all the success in the world on this startup. By the story, it looks as if she is using her own money and not relying on the city for cash. Good for her. Private sector money is always welcomed for downtown business creation. Been too many failed attempts using taxpayer money for the downtown jumpstart.

Welcome back Ms. Vitori.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Joshua View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 9:00am
This is exciting news!  It's great that more and more people are investing in Middletown.  Things seem to be moving in the right direction!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Joshua Joshua wrote:

This is exciting news!  It's great that more and more people are investing in Middletown.  Things seem to be moving in the right direction!

And that is a good thing Joshua as long as the investing is done by private sector business people willing to take a risk with their own money. It is not a good thing if council, the city manager and others continue to loan (or give away) the taxpayer's money on risky business ventures. The city leader practice of giving away money to start-up propositions, and then seeing the business fail in a month or two should stop but it won't as long as there are friends of the city with their hands out waiting for the people's money with absolutely no risk on their part to take. That's not the right thing to do and they should know that.

Another approach that is totally wrong is the total concentration in the downtown area while exclusion is the game in the other parts of town. This city must develop ALL areas, not just their precious downtown area. They have been focused on the downtown far too long now with minimal results compared to the money spent and the effort made. They just won't back off their dream even though it has had limited success. Their insistance on making the downtown what it may never be has really hurt other parts of town. Everyone in town sees the big picture with the downtown except the people who are running the show. For some reason, those insisting on a "cultural downtown" don't understand the demographics of this blue-collar community. Their downtown game plan won't work with most who live here. They are not interested in what little the downtown offers. JMO                 
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Joshua View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 12:14pm
I'm no businessman but it does make sense that people who are taking all the risk will do whatever they can to make sure their investment pays off.  I'm also not a politician but I would think there are cases where city government has to step in so that other things can get done.

I too would like to see all parts of Middletown on the up and up.  I think we are seeing some development in other areas like the mall that are moving in the right direction.  There's also development and plans for new development by the hospital with the AK research facility and a planned gas station.  That said, it would be nice to see more and more of the vacant buildings around town to be put to use.

I've only lived in Middletown for 14 years and have only been paying attention to what's been going on in Middletown the last couple of years.  Our plan was stay 5 years and move to a neighboring community.  I'm glad we did not follow through, I love Middletown and I'm excited by these stories of new investment.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 3:23pm
Joshua, if you like Middletown now, you would have been ecstatic to have lived here in the 50's and 60's. An All-American city indeed back then. Many decent paying jobs, low crime, good schools, abundant shopping, pride in the city, not complete, but certainly more trust in city officials as compared to nowadays. City had a more clear direction with not nearly as many non-logical decisions as we see now. Just plain better then.

I have been here since 1948, with the exception of the military days with a few years in Columbus and Newark Ohio mixed in. Have seen the good and the bad. What you are experiencing in this city now doesn't hold a candle to what you would have experienced then.

Sad to see now as the city is a shell of what it once was.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 11:10am

Posted: 10:44 a.m. Friday, May 20, 2016

Former TV Middletown building gets $30,000 for facelift

By Mike Rutledge

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

The new owner of the former TV Middletown building will receive a $30,000 city grant to make its side facing Central Avenue more inviting to the public.

Ami Vitori, who bought the 38,000-square-foot structure on Friday, plans to create a destination area with an upscale comfort-food restaurant and other businesses, and spend $100,000 to $150,000 improving the Central face of the building at 1131 Central Ave. The building now will be known as Torchlight Pass.

“My plans are to do renovations of the whole street level, so that I can turn it into a retail, dining, entertainment destination, and along with that, I’m going to improve the exterior,” Vitori said.

“The Central side of the building in particular is quite sad, for lack of a better word,” she said with a chuckle. “It’s kind of a yellow brick, but then there’s orange brick, and red brick. It doesn’t have a lot of curb appeal — the windows are really old, there’s actually bars on the windows from back in the JCPenney days when that was the accounting area.”

Among other things, “We’re going to put new entrances, new lighting, I’m going to do some sort of a siding on the building itself, so it’s much more kind-of modern, clean and inviting to people,” she said.

The Central Avenue side will be the main entrance to the restaurant, she said.

Vitori said she hopes to have retail-ready storefronts available by late summer or early fall, with the aim of opening the restaurant by the end of the year.

On the side of the building that faces Ohio 4, the large canal mural will remain, but there’s an old rusted steel rolling door and old single-pane windows that need replacement, she said.

While the facade grants come from the city of Middletown, they are administered by Downtown Middletown Inc., said the organization’s executive director, Mallory Greenham.

“The city holds the funding to help people fix up their facades, and Downtown Middletown Inc. facilitates the whole program for the city,” Greenham said.

Also receiving grants are:

·                       All About You Cafe & Catering at 1521 First St. The business will get $600 toward work they’ll do on their expansion.

·                       Liberty Spirits LLC, a planned micro-distillery at 1357 Central Ave. (one of two buildings it owns), will receive $550 toward an exterior sign.

Joshua View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 1:01pm
The post WWII glory days.  Hopefully decent paying manufacturing jobs will return.  

Very excited to see how this building turns out.  It sounds like Ms. Vitori has a clear vision.  Can't wait!
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 9:51am
I am thinking that it is only a matter of time for Middletown. The crawl of Cinciny going north and Dayton coming south. They are running out of spaces in between. Let's hope this is the foot hold the city needs (along with some of the other projects).
Itsa me, mario!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic