FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roy Gordon for Council?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roy Gordon for Council?
    Posted: Apr 26 2017 at 1:58pm
So today my I'm informed by marketing that some guy named Roy Gordon is asking who owns us. Here is his tweet and my reply: 

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2017 at 2:03pm
I have a few problems with Mr. Gordon demeaning our site. 

1. As you can see from our tweet our ownership is clearly indicated in the footer of the website.
2. There is no Facebook question from Mr. Gordon so his premise for badmouthing our site is unfounded.
3. Now I'm not the grammar police but really "who they are own by"  ...

Funny thing is he only has 2 followers and he is running for council. By the way council, you might want to read what he is tweeting about you. https://twitter.com/ElectRoyGordon   ...enjoy.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2017 at 2:06pm
Looks like he ran for council back in 2015.  

Quote Roy Gordon

Gordon, 44, said he is running to help everyone in Middletown. He said city politics needs to be changed and that he wants to bring a better voice to the community and fight for people that need help.

He said council needs to be more transparent and concise in what they are doing. Gordon said council members need to be approachable and reachable. They also need to ask the questions people want answers to, he said.

“I am a 35-year resident of the city,” Gordon said. “I have 10 years total of volunteer work of giving back to my community and have voted in almost every election for 15 years. My commitment is to give back more to my community than I receive.”

Gordon said the top three challenges facing Middletown include deteriorating infrastructure, the heroin problem, and the city’s finances.

He said council needs to prioritize and find the money to fix the city’s streets and repair its parks. Gordon said too much money is being spent building new roads and not enough of the city’s budget is being spent on old roads.

On the heroin problem, Gordon said council needs to educate, treat and stop the influx of heroin into the city. He suggests increasing police and fire department staffing to above minimum levels, enforce current laws and find treatment for people.

He said the city needs to plan ahead and look for future fiscal impacts and find other solutions and revenue sources. He said the city needs to bring in companies without costing taxpayers money and stop spending money it doesn’t have

Gordon has been active in the community as a volunteer with Keep Middletown Beautiful for the past eight years and with voter registration efforts for the past two years.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2017 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

Looks like he ran for council back in 2015.  

Quote Roy Gordon

Gordon, 44, said he is running to help everyone in Middletown. He said city politics needs to be changed and that he wants to bring a better voice to the community and fight for people that need help.

He said council needs to be more transparent and concise in what they are doing. Gordon said council members need to be approachable and reachable. They also need to ask the questions people want answers to, he said.

“I am a 35-year resident of the city,” Gordon said. “I have 10 years total of volunteer work of giving back to my community and have voted in almost every election for 15 years. My commitment is to give back more to my community than I receive.”

Gordon said the top three challenges facing Middletown include deteriorating infrastructure, the heroin problem, and the city’s finances.

He said council needs to prioritize and find the money to fix the city’s streets and repair its parks. Gordon said too much money is being spent building new roads and not enough of the city’s budget is being spent on old roads.

On the heroin problem, Gordon said council needs to educate, treat and stop the influx of heroin into the city. He suggests increasing police and fire department staffing to above minimum levels, enforce current laws and find treatment for people.

He said the city needs to plan ahead and look for future fiscal impacts and find other solutions and revenue sources. He said the city needs to bring in companies without costing taxpayers money and stop spending money it doesn’t have

Gordon has been active in the community as a volunteer with Keep Middletown Beautiful for the past eight years and with voter registration efforts for the past two years.

Thanks for the info. Was not aware ran before. 
John Beagle

Middletown USA

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2017 at 6:29am
Looks as if Mr. Gordon has some of the same ideas as some on this forum. Doesn't appear to be a city shill in line to carry on the city doctrine of rubber stamping and head nodding in the approval position. I would think that Mr. Gordon would welcome the information within these pages to formulate his positions for election. Just wondering how he would fit in with the rest of the bobbleheads on council. He sounds like he may have some opinions of his own that may or may not be in line with the typical council thinking pattern. If so, he won't last just like Laubach. Mulligan and company have their ways of forcing out those who are independent thinkers.

Vote all new and cross your fingers that someday, we can assemble a majority that will counteract the nonsense that is occurring now. Any MMF sponsored candidates will only maintain the status quo with nothing improving and would be a waste of time to go and vote. More of the same is NOT what this city needs. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2017 at 7:34am
VietVet deserves our continued commendation for faithfully being a "beacon of light" in an otherwise struggling city.

His participation on this blog is significant despite the immense medical battles that his dear wife battles daily.

May GOD grant him and his son with the strength needed to help 24/7 in meeting her life-sustaining needs.

I can't think of anyone better than VietVet should he ever decide to run for a city council seat.

He is his own man and would be a practical, fiscally prudent and refreshing change if elected.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2017 at 11:34am
No doubt, there are many who would disagree with you Analytical on whether I would be a good fit or even qualified to sit on council and they would be right. One things for sure, there would be no rubber stamping and questions would be asked concerning council agenda items. They would not like what I would have to say.

I wouldn't be a good "team player" fit for the types they like on their council. Too much "in you face" attitude from me and a 99 and 44/100ths percent chance that I would disagree on a majority of topics given the way this city has been run. It hasn't been right since the 60's.

Simply not a good fit personality wise for council or most committees. Too much phoniness and a lack of properly addressing the issues for me to deal with in most cases. I think some got the message in the Becker/Gilleland sponsored city street repair committee meetings on the city building's fourth floor a few years ago.

Mulligan, Bronston and Picard are city owned and not able to think on their own and Moon and Bohannon didn't do the trick for change so we need some new council blood with a new approach, who are smart enough not to buy the city propaganda poison and stop what hasn't worked in decades, change the city agenda/focus/direction, rehire a city manager who will discard the current manner of operation (especially in the downtown area) and hire all new support staff with a common sense focus. The city (and the Historical Committee-disband them) needs to stay out of the private enterprise development scene, again, in the downtown area. Only way to fix it all IMO.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Looks as if Mr. Gordon has some of the same ideas as some on this forum. Doesn't appear to be a city shill in line to carry on the city doctrine of rubber stamping and head nodding in the approval position. I would think that Mr. Gordon would welcome the information within these pages to formulate his positions for election. Just wondering how he would fit in with the rest of the bobbleheads on council. He sounds like he may have some opinions of his own that may or may not be in line with the typical council thinking pattern. If so, he won't last just like Laubach. Mulligan and company have their ways of forcing out those who are independent thinkers.

Vote all new and cross your fingers that someday, we can assemble a majority that will counteract the nonsense that is occurring now. Any MMF sponsored candidates will only maintain the status quo with nothing improving and would be a waste of time to go and vote. More of the same is NOT what this city needs. JMO

I agree wholeheartedly.... that is why I bated him with this post and my reply on Twitter. Looks like it didn't work. Plus he might just be a novice with social media. 
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic