FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Housing - from last council meeting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 11:42pm
See - this is exactly why this forum has left a bad taste in people's mouths.....

I used a word (and if you read the context in which I said it - it was used correctly, but I digress....) that someone can latch onto and then obfuscate the entire point of my post.  FWIW - *I* didn't call this muckraking - SOMEONE ELSE DID - it was their opinion and after reading years of posts here - I understand their point of view.

Argh.  I give up.  I'm going to do my best to ensure that this forum isn't just a bunch of complaints - but a place where the people and the leaders of our fair city can come and offer/discuss possible SOLUTIONS to the issues - not just complain.

Hope to see all of you on the 13th.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 10:54am
buddhalite:

"See - this is exactly why this forum has left a bad taste in people's mouths....."

Why, because it questions what the leaders are doing? It brings to the attention what the public should know about their city government? It highlights the policies and practices that has done harm to the city? It creates an information vehicle that provides news that the puppets at the Journal never publish because it is too controversial? It tells the truth rather than embellishing the city propaganda?

buddhalite:

"Argh. I give up. I'm going to do my best to ensure that this forum isn't just a bunch of complaints - but a place where the people and the leaders of our fair city can come and offer/discuss possible SOLUTIONS to the issues - not just complain."

So, referring to the new school buildings (see one of your earlier posts in this discussion) as "putting lipstick on a pig" is your way to ensure that this forum isn't a bunch of complaints? Couldn't this be construed as being an adversarial comment to the school folks? Reread some of your earlier comments. Sounds as if you have now jumped to the other side of the fence supporting the city leaders from where you started and are now criticizing what you once did before your perceived city supporting conversion.

Many "complaints" have been justified with actual data if you read back through this site. Pick a topic and you are bound to find some supporting data that backs claims made here. Vivian Moon and Mike Presta are our main researchers here.

This forum has been here awhile. All of a sudden we have captured the interest of the city manager and the police chief. Before they entered the fray, we had the attention of the former school board president, Ms. Marcia Andrew, who has apparently stopped participating. Not a word from the new board president Urso as yet. Never have heard from Mulligan nor the city council or school board members either.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 11:19am
I'm guilty of it too - however I have made a concerted effort here to provide solutions and a pathway to success - not just complain.  Large difference.  I think that getting council and city employees involved is tremendous step forward.

Secondly - I've not jumped any fences - I am firmly against the actions taken by the city in regards to the topics we've all been debating.  But - I am a realist.  I live in the real world - not some fantasy dimension where everyone believes that we can just rise up and slay them like we're in Braveheart.

The reality we have to face is that it won't happen that way - it never happens that way anywhere.  If it did, Trump would have implemented everything in his agenda already and he'd be looking for an exit.  But that's not the real world.  Plus we have to realize that there are people in this city who like what the council, et. al., are doing!  That being said - we have to learn to work within some of the existing framework to achieve our goals.

Yes, it's easy to get on here and complain for the sake of complaining ( of which we all are guilty ) but it is time to wake up and be the adults in the room and find ways to accomplish what we'd like to see with our fair city - and not be the ones who are putting the proverbial lipstick on the pig by constantly looking for the pie in the sky when there's a slice being served up at the dinner table.

Oh yeah, and we need to stop eating our own - it is a shameful and useless display that only serves to bolster the other side.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 7:42pm
Buddhalite,

As the chief said, he has held or attended similar meets to the one he has proposed. Most were limited to fire/police concerns and were in small venues with limited attendance. This is in no way derogatory to the efforts put forth to make those meets happen. However, if the proposed meet at Java Johnny’s goes unadvertised and is known only to the few who are involved on this board, it seems likely that both factions will be preaching to a very small choir … again. Hope not, but we could be spinning our wheels.

In other words, this “first step” has been taken repeatedly and ended with no plans to go further. Vet’s request was for much more. No disrespect is meant toward Chief Muterspaw, but … A larger venue and attendance by at least some from city hall and council would lead to better opportunity for meaningful discussion. Yes, getting involved and informing as many more people as possible would increase our chances of making positive change … all of us want that, right? “Friend”, best of luck on making it happen in the “real world”!

Buddha, you have not been around to witness the city’s very real harassment of those with differing opinions and who truly have tried to calmly reason with them. City council meetings allow 3 minute comments by citizens IF you notify before hand. And you have not been here to see how, in meetings, council consistently dismisses virtually all complaints and suggestions. Actually, the preoccupied council probably didn’t hear a word that was said. There is no feed back from council and with a cursory “thank you for your comments” that’s the end of it. It’s just that simple. That’s a just ignore ‘em, that’ll teach ‘em attitude.

After the public is treated with such disdain, no wonder they are apathetic.   Every time we elect, to council, someone with new ideas, if they do not fall in line, council gets rid of them (harassment style). City hall has made it clear for years … they know everything and we know nothing. That attitude seems set in concrete, and IS harming our city and our ability to have meaningful communication whether that is “their aim” or not. The adverse effects of that are staring us in the face all over town.
Over the past 30 years OUR CONCERTED EFFORTS failed to get the MANY COUNCILS to listen to the citizens’ POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS, leaving us the last resort … complaining! If you can’t work with them, for the sake of our city, the only recourse is to replace them.

Your supposed reuse (a pot shot by proxy) of muckrakers as a description of some on this forum, has to be in reference to city hall since that is the main focus here. If city hall doesn’t like having their muck raked then they should stop making muck. It would be interesting to know your source of initial use of the muckraker description. BTW … this is the first time I have heard of it. Was it on this blog?

Also, Vet is right, the vindictive factor does enter the picture. If this meet is limited to a few people, such a small group from MUSA would be very vulnerable to city scrutiny and subsequent harassment. So small a group is nearly the same as the one-on-one that Doug has offered several times and which is viewed as a “hostile environment”. In previous meetings, names and addresses were requested from anyone who wanted to ask questions. Dissenters can then be singled out for possible unfriendly persuasion. If you (Buddha) were the recipient of some manipulative or vindictive city tactics (hopefully this will never happen to you), you might understand why some discussions about city management are less than complimentary.

Perhaps Doug’s reluctance to be involved herewith is because, in any public forum, he might be confronted about the harassment coming out of city hall. Or he may not feel confident about fielding unrehearsed questions. Seems he prefers total control, like how he controls council meetings where he admits he has everything pre-programmed. Is this why HE COMPLAINS that we are not being civil with him? It seems to me that Doug has sent the Chief to take the flak for him and so will side step having to attend a meet.

Even with all this said, we must still keep trying and take any positive gesture from city hall into account. It’s a shame that we must do so with so much caution. It goes without saying … these days nothing involving government from national to local level is easy. Correction of so much nonsense in government could start at the local level and work up. Let’s show them that we will take a stand.

City hall needs to treat their citizens with the same respect that they expect and require from us. And that means we should have freedom of speech to express opposing ideas (that just might be of use) to a city government of the people, by the people, for ALL the people, not just the people in power. City hall is holding tight to it’s own lipstick adorned pet pig downtown …. “pie in the sky” which has been heretofore force fed to the general public. I expect that this will leave a “bad taste in peoples’ mouths.”

Vet … You have their attention. Stay strong!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 8:02pm
Well ok then Whistlers' Mom - 

Screw it.  I have a corporate sponsor lined up, who was going to provide all kinds of stuff for this event - but you scared him off.

And - you scared me off.  You know - I'm not going to sit here and be berated simply because I am a realist.

You can do whatever you want.  I will be there on the 13th - and I'm personally petitioning ALL of the city leaders to join us - and you can sit your rear end at home being afraid of somehow being maligned by the powers that be.

They'd never do that in a public forum - they've got more class than that.  Sorry you don't feel that way.

Oh well - this could have been a big deal - but I guess since y'all all pooped on the party long before it happened - screw it.  I've got better things to spend my time on - oh yeah - and my money.

For those brave enough to give 'em another chance - see you on the 13th at an underfunded, under-organized event.  

Bob
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 8:07pm
Furthermore - I'm not the least bit scared of anyone at city hall.  What are they going to do?  Cut off my water and sewer because they don't like something I said?!?!?!?  Argh.

I don't care what people think of me.  Period.  Everyone here should try to do the same.

Yes - they're gonna ask for name and address - no one from outside Middletown should be participating in something in which they have no stake.

There's just so much wrong with your words Whistler - I don't have time to deal with it all. 

All I want is for our fair community to get JOBS back here - so that we can afford to fix the rest of the city's problems.  There's a lot each of us can do to make that happen - and worrying about backlash from city hall should be the least of our concerns.

Bob
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 8:19pm
Come on people
It's not a big deal
Kind gesture by the Chief to take on whatever is thrown his way
He can take it--will listen and give an honest answer
Quit acting like you will be blacklisted if you complain or attack---it isn't going to happen. Try being constructive and positive. Don't put whomever on Defense for the short time(JJ closes @ 7pm).
Ask real ?s that can be honestly answered, and they will be honestly answered.
Wouldn't be surprised if Mr.A shows(is it a Council Tuesday?)--he is an honestly open person imo.

Not the first time for this type of thing--used to happen regularly.
It will be what the attendees make it to be.
Hopefully no one tries to dominate and everyone gets a turn.....

Corporate sponsor to do what???
Just buy a coffee, sandwich or dessert---support the host!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 9:06pm
FYI - the corporate sponsor was going to pay for flyers and social media promotion and such - but no more.

The only way to get the word out is to spend a little money.  I'm willing to put some personal dollars in it - but we really need some money to make something happen.

I have no idea about the venue-gonna check it out tomorrow AM.  We may need sound system and stuff - it all takes cash.

We need a moderator and and agenda - I'll volunteer to do it all - but this won't be successful if half the board is pooping on the idea before it ever hits the ground.

Bob

FYI - I've been trying to get the owner of the site to contact me via PM or any possible way - and I wish they would.  I'd like to use their 
Chief Muterspaw View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Muterspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2017 at 8:34am

Come on, really?

The Manager sends me so he don't have to answer hard questions? Seriously? The Manager didn't even know I was doing this. Like I said we've done this at over 90 things total since I became chief. This is nothing new. I have spoken in front of 200 people and I've spoken in front of two or three. This is nothing difficult for us. And if you think Doug Adkins has problems handling tough questions, then you don't know him very well.

These conspiracy theories are really over-the-top. Please don't speculate and come up with these theories on your own without merit. My goodness. We will be there regardless if there's one person or whatever there. Try to come with an open mind and if you don't want to come that's fine too. We will just move onto the next one.

middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2017 at 11:53pm
Chief,

You have made a huge mistake posting on this website. Just ask Mr. Adkins. No matter what you say or propose on this site it will be met with automatic criticism, negativity, and reminiscing about times past.  They will never let go of past poor decision making by past councils and will continue to throw it in your face. You are truly wasting your breath. Spider, Buddah, and maybe a couple of others are the only ones that are willing to forget past sins of previous administrations and focus on the current problems and try to solve them. NO WAY any of the others show up to your forum. They enjoy the anonymity that their keyboards provide. They would never dare act like this face to face. Never. You can talk about solutions to problems until you are blue in the face and your proposals will be met with ramblings about the past, people being fired by previous administrations, conspiracy theories, and cover ups. It truly is amazing. Do yourself a favor delete your account.    reaction arrested development mistake will arnett gob GIF

Middletown... Bright past BRIGHTER FUTURE!!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 7:09am
Chief

First, sincere appreciation of your offer to arrange to meet with and listen to concerned citizens has been expressed repeatedly by the several participants here on this forum. Middiemom’s suggestion that you have made a mistake by joining this forum … hopefully, you will not take seriously. Everyone else has encouraged you!! Every wish for a productive outcome!

Second, some of the matters of concern which we wish to address go beyond the police department’s scope and need to be addressed by city hall. Doug Adkins has not, PAST OR PRESENT, offered significant opportunities for citizens to ask questions, offer alternative solutions or express concerns, Why is that? People quit trying to speak at council meetings because their questions and comments are pointedly and consistently ignored. So now, we are considered apathetic for lack of participation!!! Catch 22.

Doug is NOT willing to modify his plan. A plan which the public has not seen. There have been requests for copies of his plan to no avail. It’s hard to converse about a ghostly plan. I wonder if Council is working in the dark too.

One opposing comment made to Doug’s City Managers Blog, that did get posted, has since been edited out. And all subsequent opposing comments have been rejected and never posted. The only comments that Doug allows are brief, superlative complements, like … Wow!! Good job!

Middiemom

Forgiving past sins would be a lot easier if history were not repeating itself time after time.

It’s sad that in order to be able to air critical comments, or even have suggestions heard and considered, has to be done behind a keyboard for fear of reprisal. There are a number of people who have gone silent in order to avoid harassment. That is past and present too. And we don’t know who you are.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 9:10am
Correct me if I wrong but , Doug has repeatedly agreed to meet with you all and NO ONE has taken him up on it. No one. I'm telling you, Chief you are seriously wasting your time on this forum. It's great that you are willing to meet with the community . Talking with those people that will show up is a great idea. However, you really are seriously wasting your time on this forum. Whistlersmom just proved my earlier point. "Reprisals"? What reprisals? Is Doug going to come to your house in the dark of night and Pull you out of your bed and lock you up? Will the fire department not respond to your 911 calls? Do any of you know anyone that has asked a legitimate fact based question of city council or the chief and has been the victim of a "reprisal"? I'm telling you, Chief, I'd just stop posting on this forum you'll thank me for it.   
Middletown... Bright past BRIGHTER FUTURE!!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 10:42am
Middiemom

Your post proves my point. Doug has offered to a few of his detractors on this forum, ONE ON ONE MEETINGS out of public earshot. Why one on one? The questions to be discussed were of public interest and not at all private. Having an individuals identity will make it easy to CONTROL them.

Pressure has been brought to bear on individuals who expressed dissent and the proof of that is on this blog if you take the time to read it. Most of the pressure has been applied through the misuse of city nuisance ordinance. Very minor things like peeling paint on gutters. In one instance, the gutter was painted by the lady who owned the home (she had expressed, on this blog, some concerns about the city which were not well received). But the city was not satisfied and demanded that she have the painting redone using one of a list of their contractors which they supplied to her. Put yourself in her place. Don’t you suppose she did the painting herself because she could not afford to pay to have it done?

The city doesn’t need the dark of night to get to you. This forum allows us to be a part of the solution by voicing an opinion without fear of harassment.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 2:05pm
Wow Middiemom - I don't know about you, but if Mr. Adkins offered me a personal meeting - I'd take it.  It's far easier to bend someone's ear in private than in public.  

But in any case - part of being 'someone' in the community and trying to push new ideas and such requires THICK SKIN.

For the lady with peeling gutters - let's make a public case of it - let's get names and addresses and hold people accountable for their actions!  If it is true - and can be verified - hey - I guarantee my friends at Cox media's properties will print, publish and air any kind of corruption like that.

I can tell you that my real name is attached to my profile on this forum - and I don't say anything that I can't back up, that I can't defend - and therefore I am afraid of no one - and oh yeah - a 2 second google search will reveal my address.

This is getting out of hand.  I support my leaders - regardless of my agreement/disagreement with them.  If there's wrong doing, I'm the type who doesn't stand down in those situations.  If nothing is wrong - I work with them and within their framework to change things.  That's the order of the world - you can't change that.  

Sure - elections matter - but until then - and that's assuming you get your way in the elections (which you obviously haven't been) - you have to work with them - not against them.  You've been working against - and it has gotten you NOWHERE.

Time for a new approach.

Bob
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 3:09pm
middiemom:

"You have made a huge mistake posting on this website."

Then why do you continue to do so mom?

middiemom:

"They will never let go of past poor decision making by past councils and will continue to throw it in your face"

THAT ONE FACTOR has made Middletown what it is today and is one of the most dominant reasons why there is so much anger and resentment toward city leaders. It is not easily forgotten about and has resulted in decades of downward progression for the town as well as the schools. It is the singular most devastating occurrence that has done the most damage to this once great city. It is not easily forgiven and may never be by we who have seen our hometown devastated by uncaring Middletown born councilmembers as well as outsiders who didn't have a clue about what this city was all about. THAT is why it remains a wound that won't heal mom. The poor decision making continues by a new group of people. The poor decision game hasn't changed. Just a new gameplan with new players and it ain't working either.

middiemom:

"do yourself a favor delete your account"

Chief, ask middiemom why she hasn't followed her own advise. Not only has she not deleted her account but she stays and interjects her "let's accept, without question, what they do" mentality as if we could be convinced, as she has been, to accept all that is told to us by some in the city building. She is a sheep supporting a pack of wolves.......and doesn't have a clue she could be the next meal.

She won't answer you but I'll tell you exactly why she isn't following her own advise........she is an agitator here. Just as argumentative as the rest of us. She periodically gets on here, knowing there is an overwhelming theme to this forum that is "anti-city supportive" in nature. She knows too, that she is on the other side of the fence and she will never convince most here to adopt her way of thinking. She also knows the reasons why this site is so hostile at times toward the city administration/direction of this city. The reasons, and at times, the supporting evidence has been documented throughout this forum. Yet, for those on this forum, like her, who serve the city building mantra, no amount of evidence nor explanation will sway them from being in denial concerning what is transpiring here. There are several in her camp who continue to choose to monitor and occasionally engage us here to offer what will never be accepted. It is very simple. If the thoughts on this forum upset some so much, why do they continue to hang on? Why torture yourself. Just like a TV show you hate, turn it off or change the channel. Never view it again. We will not be upset if you leave us. If you want to believe and follow the city leaders, read the Journal and enjoy the propaganda and one-sided, non-objective reporting. They are the mouthpiece for the city, not the people.

The Adkins offer? Like scheduling your own recognition execution given the past history of vindictiveness under the Gilleland Administration. Adkins is a product from that administration. She instilled fear of retribution in the people if you crossed her and her supporters. I understand, according to information along the way, that it was that way with the city building employees when she was city manager. Fear is never a good way to motivate people. Some managers are too dumb to understand that. Let's face it, the city can make it awfully tough on a citizen using harassing means if they target you. That is why no one has taken Adkins at his word and an invitation to his one on one he has offered........and, after all, he is a lawyer as well and we all know the stereotypical talk about lawyers and politicians don't we.The trust factor just isn't there.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 4:05pm
buddahlite:

"If it is true - and can be verified - hey - I guarantee my friends at Cox media's properties will print, publish and air any kind of corruption like that."

Bob, there are incidences in this forum over the years that indicate corruption, money wasting, hidden agendas and pet projects using taxpayer money for friends of the city of all types. How about contacting your friends at Cox Media and giving them and overview of what is transpiring in this city behind the scenes and out of the public's view. You can start with Adkins contacts to the councilmembers, between council meetings concerning city business which is a questionable Sunshine Law violation suspicion that councilmembers are being prodded to vote a certain way on issues outside the proper venue.   

You can also mention the handling of funds earmarked for certain needs and funneled to other funds. Ask Vivian Moon about the history on this topic. She has presented data throughout this forum on the subject of "where did the money go" and using block grant money for other purposes. Analytical may be a source also.

Or how about the city spending millions of taxpayer dollars to buy real estate,
concentrated in the downtown area and then giving it away to their developer buddies for a buck but bashing the hell out of the O'Reillys auto parts place and providing as much resistance as possible for them to develop their business downtown. Not a friend of the city I guess.

Or, hey, how about the city giving 75 thousand taxpayer dollars to the MMF ane, to this date, we still don't know if they repaid the loan, not to mention the taxpayer dollar loan to the Moormans, friends of the city, to start their stained glass business downtown. Never have seen it printed where they paid back the 65 grand loan to them either.

Duncan Oil?, Office Outfitters?, Rose Furniture?, Manchester Hotel?, Hobby Lobby?, PAC money?, Sonshine Building? (Sue Wittman giveaway?), Old Seniors Building buyback?, Old Barnitz Bank building?, Thatcher building give-aways?, Cinci State failure on enrollment numbers, Old Studio Theatre fiasco, Failure of Bicentennial Commons on non-usage .....etc.

Plenty of ammo to keep an outside investigator busy here if they want a story. I can see the caption now......" A City Against The People...Kept In The Dark"
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 4:45pm
perfect opportunity to prove middiemom wrong by making this event(if it hapens) a forward-moving dialogue between police dept and citizens. Maybe put away beating on the past to only concentrate on moving forward and how the police dept will provide a safe community in these challenging times. If admin or Council choose to participate, then it should be even more productive.

make this an opportunity to begin constructive dialogue on an on-going basis--PLEASE!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 6:25pm
Listen everyone,

If you think that the Manager meeting with Council outside of scheduled meetings violates any law - my lawyer friend says no.  The sunshine laws are there to prevent voting on public items in secret - and that's about as far as they can really be put to the test.

FWIW - I've been a nomad much of my life and I've lived lots of places.  This happens everywhere.  And, frankly, I could care less.  If they stifle my voice in the proper forum - then I have a problem.  That has not happened to me - and I don't think that has happened to anyone here.  Proof is that Mr. Adkins will talk to you if you want.....just make an appointment.  Meetings are held in the open and have comment sections.  All of your elected leaders are approachable via telephone, email, internet, in-person - it's up to YOU to reach out and make your voice heard.

BUT - just remember what it is like to raise children.  You can tell them everything - but if they don't listen and put it to practice - you have to watch as they make mistakes.

Trust me - if you are posting here on this forum - your voice is being heard.  If you are calling/writing your councilpersons - your voice is being heard.  If you are contacting Mr. Adkins - your voice is being heard.

Your advice might not be heeded - but it certainly is being HEARD - and sometimes it's all the recourse you may have at that moment.  Ultimately, there are elections - but for some reason.......

Oh yeah - here comes the part that is hard to hear....read VietVet's reply to me at 4:00 today....

It sure was easy to say that the people of this city are in the dark - but then he wants to list no less than 17 ways the city wronged its people.....but in every case - the way I read the charter - the council was in its authority to do what it did (maybe a bit unscrupulous for my taste) - but I believe they had the legal ability to do those things within their power.

Vietvet - everything you list in your post sounds bad - however - there's no evidence there that shows and/or proves any of it.  Yes, there were loans made - did they repay?  You don't know the answer, nor do I!  That's pretty close to slander in my opinion.  Get an answer (even if the answer is just a shrug) and then we can talk about where to go with it.

Has anyone here yet considered that style matters?  Sometimes you have to approach people in the right manner and the right way to get an answer.  I bet you I could schedule a meeting with Mr. Adkins and in the space of an hour, I could get him to answer any question that you want him to answer.  Why?  Well....

First: by now he knows I'm not going to lambaste him with a bunch of accusations.  He knows I want the best for the city - just as he does.  We may disagree on the method - or the plan - but we both want the best.  I don't want to tear people down - I want to lift our city up.  Much of what I read here (although thanks to those who have come to my defense and shown solidarity with my methods) is just tearing individual people down over decisions and issues from the past.  

Second: it's all in the approach.  I am sure that any question that I would/could ask would get a slightly complicated answer from a slightly tilted point of view - but there's always underlying issues that exist.  You have to understand that, right?

Third: I'm not going to waste my time on things like O'Reilly, Hobby Lobby and such.  Why are you?  Whether or not a private business decides to open in Middletown is their business - not mine.  Doesn't mean we can't do things to entice business to come here - but I can't believe those are even realistic things you would have aired in the media about our city.

Fourth: I'm just a concerned citizen who might be forced into action...and no politician likes that.

Listen folks - all this bickering gets us nowhere.  Let's give the powers that be one last chance to do right by us - it's not going to hurt anything - and if you follow my path, I think you'll get far more answers than you ever imagined.  It's all in the approach.  

I'd put in to be City Manager - but Mr. Adkins can keep his job - the role of City Manager sucks - you can't please everyone...ever....I feel for him in that manner.  Maybe I should run for mayor of Middletown? 

Bob
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2017 at 1:48pm
OHIO STATE BAR ASSOCIATION

What You Should Know about Ohio’s “Sunshine Laws”

​Q: What is a "sunshine law"?
A: In Ohio, the "sunshine laws" refer to Ohio's Public Records Act and Ohio's Open Meetings Act.
These statutory laws are based on the notion that there should be "openness" in government, with
public access to records and meetings and the conduct and activities of government.

Q: What records are public under Ohio's Public Records Act?
A: Generally speaking, a "public record" is a record held by a public office and is intended to include
such things as paper, computer disks, film/videotape - that is, any item, regardless of its physical form,
that is a stored or fixed medium.

Q: What is a public office?
A: The Public Records Act specifically defines a "public office" to include a "state agency, public
institution, political subdivision, or any other organized body, office, agency, institution or entity
established by the laws of this state for the exercise of any function of government." That is a broad
definition, and has been applied to otherwise private entities that perform a public service and are
supported by public funds.

Q: What are a person's rights under the Public Records Act?
A: Generally, a person's rights include the right to a prompt inspection of public records and, upon
request, the right to copies of those public records within a reasonable period of time.

Q: Are there any exceptions under the Public Records Act?
A: Yes. The Act specifically identifies certain records, which are exempt, including medical records,
trial preparation records, confidential law enforcement investigatory records and adoption records,
among others.

Q: What is Ohio's "Open Meetings Act"?
A: This law essentially requires all public bodies to take all official actions and hold all deliberations
on official business in meetings that are open to the public.

Q: Do public bodies have to keep minutes?
A: Yes. The public bodies have to keep full and accurate minutes in order to enable the public to
understand and appreciate the rationale behind the public body's decisions. Those minutes are public
records.

Q: Can a public body ever hold meetings in secret?
A: Yes. There are specified reasons for a public body to adjourn into what is called an "executive
session," although the fact that the body is going into executive session must itself be part of a public
meeting and proper protocols must be followed. These sessions are not open to the public. The
reasons justifying an executive session include discussions about personnel matters, the purchase of
property, pending or imminent court action, and collective bargaining.

Q: Does the media have any "special" rights under Ohio's "sunshine laws"?
A: Generally, no. The Public Records Act and Open Meetings Act apply equally to "all persons" under
the law. The media enjoys no special rights under these sunshine laws except with regard to certain
law enforcement identity records. The press tends to be vigilant about protecting people's rights under
the sunshine laws. If access to records or meetings is denied, it is often the press that will commence
"mandamus" actions in Ohio's courts to enforce rights under the sunshine laws (a "mandamus" court
action asks a judge to "mandate" or order a government agency to make records or meetings open and
public). 

Q: Why does the media often times go to court about access issues under the sunshine
laws?
A: There are a number of reasons why the press will file lawsuits seeking to enforce access rights under the sunshine laws. Clearly, access to records and meetings provide very important sources of information
for the press in its newsgathering and information-gathering efforts. The workings of government are
for the public and involve public dollars, public officials performing their job duties, and policies
impacting all governed people. It is for those reasons that the media always has been the "fourth
estate" in reviewing the work of government and keeping the public informed of its government's
performance. 

Q: Do the sunshine laws guarantee access to courtrooms?
A: No. Our rights to access to public courtrooms has generally evolved from interpretation of the
constitutions of the United States and the State of Ohio as well as important case precedents handed
down by the United States Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of Ohio. 

Q: Are there any occasions when Ohioans do not have access to Ohio courtrooms?
A: Generally, our right of access to court proceedings is a well protected right and a courtroom can be
closed only in very rare and unique circumstances, most often, proceedings involving juvenile
delinquency. 

Q: Are all courts equally accessible by citizens?
A: No. Juvenile courts are treated somewhat differently, and may restrict public access if, after
hearing evidence and arguments, the juvenile court judge finds that there is a "reasonable and
substantial" basis for believing that public access could harm the child or endanger the fairness of a
judge's decision, and that the potential for harm outweighs the benefit of public access. Nevertheless,
those who want a juvenile court proceeding to be closed must prove that an open proceeding would be
harmful.

11/24/2015

This "Law You Can Use" consumer legal information column was provided by the Ohio State Bar
Association. It was originally prepared by Richard M. Goehler, and updated by Monica L. Dias of the
Cincinnati office of Frost Brown Todd LLC.​​​

Create PDF via PDFmyURL.com
< ng-non-bindable="" border="0" ="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0" width="100%" id="I0_1496597562875" name="I0_1496597562875" ="https://apis.google.com/se/0/_/+1/fast?usegapi=1&size=small&hl=en-US&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ohiobar.org&=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ohiobar.org%2FForPublic%2FResources%2FLawYouCanUse%2FPages%2FLawYouCanUse-191.aspx&g=3p&ic=1&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en_US.g1ssPS92TNs.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DEQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAGLTcCOTuChkd9OoRrzLADkHNZRbOGKgrA#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cd%2Ce&id=I0_1496597562875&parent=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ohiobar.org&pfname=&rpctoken=31583207" -gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="border-width: initial; border-style: none; -sizing: border-; : static; top: 0px; width: 70px; margin: 0px; left: 0px; visibility: ; height: 15px;">

Articles appearing in this column are intended to provide broad, general information about the law. This
article is not intended to be legal advice. Before applying this information to a specific legal problem,
readers are urged to seek advice from a licensed attorney.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2017 at 1:56pm
The Honorable Mike DeWine
Ohio Attorney General

What is a meeting, as defined in the Ohio Open Meetings Act?
In order for the Open Meetings Act to apply, the members of a public body must be meeting to discuss the public’s business. A meeting is a prearranged gathering of a majority of the members of a public body for the purpose of discussing public business. R.C. 121.22(B)(2). For example, if there are five members of a school board, and only two get together to discuss public business, this is not a meeting and the Open Meetings Act would not require it to be open to the public. However, if three members gather to discuss public business, this is a meeting and the Open Meetings Act would require it to be open to the public. Also, if there is a meeting as defined by the Open Meetings Act, the public body must give notice to the public.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2017 at 2:20pm
City of Springfield, Missouri and Many Other Municipalities Nationwide
HUD Community Development Advisory Committees
How Does the City of Middletown Compare Mr. Adkins??

Citizens Advisory Committee for Community Development

The Citizens' Advisory Committee for Community Development makes recommendations for
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME and other discretionary funding to the City
Council, within the established guidelines. In carrying out its duty, the Committee holds monthly
meetings, public hearings, and reviews project updates.

About the Committee 

Purpose
  • Make recommendation for CDBG, HOME and other discretionary funding
  • $1.4 Million (CDBG) for FY 2010 / 2011
  • In accordance with consolidated plan adopted by City Council create 5-year document
  • outlining needs and priorities for funding
  • Within guidelines established by council
Authority
  • Citizen Participation Plan
  • Special Ordinance 23074, December 16, 1996
  • City Council Guidance, Resolution 8720, December 14, 1999
Project Examples
Annual Action Plan
  • Incorporates committee and council recommendations
  • Becomes annual application to HUD for funding
  • Entities apply for funding
Public Participation
  • Annual joint committee / council public hearing
  • Allows applicants and public to speak
  • Publish notice in News-Leader
Formal Recommendation
  • Meet following public input to finalize recommendation
  • Review staff evaluation of projects per council direction
Follow-Up
  • Committee hosts presentations
  • Committee tours projects
  • Reviews accomplishments
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2017 at 3:00pm
City of Springfield, Missouri and Many Other Municipalities Nationwide
HUD Community Development Advisory Committees
How Does the City of Middletown Compare Mr. Adkins??
(CONTINUED)

Description
Makes recommendations to City Council on the Community Development Block Grant Program. Members shall represent various population segments (minorities, elderly, handicapped) likely to benefit from CDBG, HOME and other discretionary funds.   

Appointed by
City Council

Member Terms
3 years

Residency Requirement
3 years

Meeting Time
Fourth Tuesday monthly 06:00 PM

Meeting Location
First Floor Conference Room, Busch Municipal Building, 840 Boonville Ave.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2017 at 3:19pm
Contrary to a prior unfounded post, VietVet is correct in one instance that I know of first-hand where Perry Thatcher had a $40,000 delinquent balance on a loan that he was given by the city to make repairs to the Manchester Inn.  Think before you speak and do your homework, Budd Lite.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2017 at 10:32pm
Okay - if you're gonna call me out in a forum - be prepared to take the wrath of Bob - because that's what is going to happen.

You just made an accusation against someone - saying that at one time they had a delinquent balance on a city loan.  

You provide no evidence (just that YOU know something) and you don't provide any information that they did/did not pay the loan off - and if they didn't what actions the city may/may not have taken against them or what any resolution was.

So - I say to you dear sir - YOU do your homework.  Accusations are just that - accusations.  If everything you people say you have on the city is actually true in its end result - you'd have no trouble getting media attention, auditors attention, etc.

But for some reason - you can't get traction - and this is why.  Incomplete stories only designed to denigrate the character of others.  Put up - or shut up.

There - you have it.

Bob
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2017 at 10:35pm
See, the difference here is I consulted with an attorney - your very reposting of a legal column from the bar association does not equal 'legal advice'.

QUOTE:
Articles appearing in this column are intended to provide broad, general information about the law. This
article is not intended to be legal advice. Before applying this information to a specific legal problem,
readers are urged to seek advice from a licensed attorney.

The sunshine law allows for meetings between one or two different people to discuss things.  If you didn't have the outside discussion - no business would ever be conducted in a sanctioned meeting.  It would take forever.

I'm really confused as to what y'all are even arguing about here.

Bob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic