Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Know- good news ...Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Know- good news ...Middletown
    Posted: Aug 16 2017 at 9:08pm
OuchThe fickle finger of fate has struck again in today’s news from the banks of the hydraulic canal in beautiful downtown Middletown...

Two suspects have been charged with dumping a dead body discovered in a decomposed condition (suspected overdose). On the WCPO 9 NEWS I think the people who were responsible for dumping the body across the street from their home stated that they didn’t report the death because they feared the city would declare their property a nuisance (and possibly tear it down.)

A small downtown business was robbed two nights in a row. Both Lebanon and Mason have offered to welcome the business owner to their community … and he will likely be moving soon.

Channel 19 reported extreme cruelty to, and torture of cats (probably by children in the neighborhood according to witnesses).

It’s all probably due to the housing situation!!! Mr Adkins says that’s Middletown’s big problem.

According to Mr Adkins and Chief Mutterspaw, these same things happen everywhere all the time.

Let’s ask Mason or Lebanon how many dead bodies they found recently.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2017 at 1:00am
Well,

I will say for one thing that I attended the forum at Parks elementary a week or two ago - and I can honestly say that the numbers just don't lie.  There is indeed a housing crisis in our community.

I tried my best to make a point at that meeting - the point being that housing is an issue (and a major issue) but that there can't be a single minded focus on housing - the situation is much deeper than that.

Now - I said that, and Mr. Adkins (who of course knew I wasn't going to sit there without asking questions and giving input) didn't shy away from it - he agreed that there has to be a greater focus on the upgrading of our entire community and not just housing - but he believes that a strong focus on housing stock is one of the prime ways to bring our community standard up.

Oh - Doug, if you are reading this and I am sure you are - I hope I just summarized your comments accurately.  If not - it is what I took away from the conversation.

I think that there's room for improvement in our community in every single category across the board - and I don't think that any solution based solely on housing will be successful.

What I will say is that - my approach from the beginning, and I've said it over and over - jobs first, then most of the rest will fall right into place.  When Middletown people have jobs in the town that are worth staying for and living here for - only then will the community begin to thrive more!  This is purely anecdotal - but the reason that I and my family originally put roots in this town was location.  1/2 way between Cinci and Dayton and a quick easy commute either direction......because even then the schools were bad (didn't have kids then) and the community was declining (AK was beginning its descent) and well - everyone I knew questioned my wanting to live in Middletown!  Then I got a job (Dayton) then another (Cincinnati) and well - there ya go!  Never have worked here....neither has my wife.

We have a community that needs people - and a reason for them to be here.  Let's face it - if you want a place to sleep and be entertained - you don't need Middletown - that's what the whole Liberty area is for.  Those people just wanted out of the city (they still work there for the most part) and love living there.  Frankly, we can't recreate liberty here, but we can be all we can be - and it's going to have to center around jobs.

Yes, housing is an issue - and no one here can deny the west end issues (don't know how to otherwise describe it) and the ensuing media circus that surrounds it doesn't help.  I can't however legally, morally and ethically find a way to make that all work without impinging on peoples property rights and using the law as overreach, so the best thing I can think of is to raise the standard of the entire city by bringing organic wealth through the plethora of jobs this town so desperately need!

Want to fill the coffers?  Won't work with a focus on housing alone - in fact, that will do little to raise city funds.  However - bring jobs, jobs, jobs and more jobs and watch the coffers fill, watch the town be able to do all those things it hasn't been doing and watch as Middletown becomes a destination spot not a desperation spot.

I love Middletown - else I wouldn't be here - but we've got to do more, housing included, but it's not the only nor is it the most effective way to address all the problems.  I want to help, and Lord knows I have offered, but up until now it has only been "there will come a time" and "we'll get to that part" - so I guess time will tell.

Whistlersmom - you know I love ya - but the rhetoric has to stop unless real solutions are going to be given.  In the case of Mr. Adkins at least he has (yet to be revealed) a solution and he at least has a focus.  Let's focus together here on middletownusa.com on solutions instead of slander.  Okay that term was a bit harsh - but I think you understand where I am coming from.  I've said it before - and I'll say it again - until we become of one mind and solution oriented - we'll not get anywhere.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
dezzyfits View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezzyfits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2017 at 3:26pm
I see alot of uplifting stuff in middletown. i guess it just doesnt make it mainstream. Stern Smile heres something i found recently. me and my son did it it was really fun! Thumbs Up

[from facebook]
Middletown, Ohio Rocks!
We all know it! The Middletown Rocks group has a mission - To paint, place, and hide rocks for the community to find and enjoy. Too often we are blind to the beauty and good that is hidden in plain sight. These colorful and fun rocks are a reminder and a smile.

dez
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2017 at 8:46pm

Buddha,

Isn’t this forum and topic having to do with news, info and happenings? Did your comment here offer any of those? But there was a blatant (not even thinly veiled) accusation of slander which had absolutely no basis. Only the facts were presented with some admittedly uncomplimentary remarks. Remarks and opinions come under a constitutional right, freedom of expression (which is now being very heavily exercised in the national news).

The comments made in your post were concerned less with news and more with rhetoric coming from the usual opposing sides. There is an eagerness to express your opinion at a personal level. Among the rambling personal comments there is agreement with Adkins that housing is a major issue but there’s a failure to mention that Adkins can be quoted (right on his own blog) as being exasperated by people insisting that Middletown needs jobs, industry and business.

The balance of your comments are mere repetition of topics expressed on other forums on this blog.

Your last comment includes the idea that we must all be “of one mind and solution oriented.” What happens if that single mindedness is misdirected into narrow mindedness that promotes a misguided direction that fails to provide a solution but continues and compounds the problems? Isn’t that what’s been happening for years in Middletown? Focusing on the wrong things over and over gets us nowhere.

We do need people who will stand together against continuing the status quo. And we need people who will clean up our over blown rules of government and get back to basics, then present some realistic solutions for our poor condition.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 2:42am
Well then, perhaps you should be running for office.  When will you be filing your petitions?  You've only got a few days left.  I'd love to be the first to sign....

For what it's worth - I don't just blow my horn here - all that I have said here have been taken to the top.  You'd be surprised to find that Mr. Adkins isn't really as you describe.  What it boils down to, after speaking with him on multiple occasions, is that he believes that the housing stock is perhaps the one way that he an council actually have some power over and can effectively control - while all the other areas we need to improve are simply not achievable by the stroke of a pen.

If you don't want the status quo - get with it and run for office and get it changed.  But be aware - in the public eye the least of your worries will be little ol' me out here on the forum....imagine this whole board out to get you everyday on everything you say and/or do....

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
dezzyfits View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezzyfits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 7:53am
that is some truth buddhalite Handshake
dez
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 8:58am
Come on--there is no one here out to "get" anyone.
While not holding anyone completely responsible, many are weary of the level of crime, drug abuse, poverty, filth, economic improvement( living wage jobs and real business recruitment), quality of life retail, dining and entertainment options. Put a struggling academic situation in the mix. Over the last three decades we have watched neighbors to the north, south and east grow far beyond our progress.

Forbes, Reuters, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, HBO etc now use Middletown as the poster child for down and out opiate fueled desperation and economic distress. Are they all wrong? Did MUSA, JD Vance cause these issues, or are they merely starting points for discussion?

Come on bud bob-you are hardly the only person to discuss these things with local leadership--and what have these discussions really accomplished outside of ego massaging??

Small gains are being made, though we have a very long way to go. Reality says that our scholastics, athletics, poverty level and amenities are at the bottom along with outside perception of our community. Outside of the residential housing situation, we have far too many commercial/industrial graveyards that are deteriorating past revitalization.

It is definitely up to all of us to work toward solutions. Face it--council and admin and school board will be the same after November. Can we expect a change of course? I hope so.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 10:53am
Excellent overview of events as I see it spider.

Sad but has to be accepted that we will not see any real needed change in our next election cycle. Same old song for Middletown. No new idea candidate(s) will take the time to run for election. Not enough time to campaign, job responsibilities, lack of money or thinking they haven't a chance to win I would suspect. History tells us the MMF/city sponsored candidates have it locked up before voting even starts. Gotta keep the inner circle city theme going you know with an endless supply of programmed robotic candidates. Some time worn candidates cycle between council and the school board, but, at times, the same old faces seem to be the only choices......or, not voting at all.   

The past/current crop of leaders and future candidates see the city priorities and theme as:

Downtown focus at all cost while the rest of the city is ignored. Millions of taxpayer money spent for their own selfish wants without taxpayer approval.

The ignorant arts theme for a blue collar city with demographics with absolutely no interest in the arts. A total disconnect from the people. Why?

City projects/property acquisitions done for "friends of the city" only, sometimes with no stipulations at all. Don't ask for city help if you're outside the box.

Exclusion of people who care about the city but are not in the good old boy club. The city leaders will deny this happens but we long timers have seen it in action for years.

Inclusion for people in the city club. Has been rather apparent now hasn't it. Those in charge don't try to hide it.

Council requirements include agreeing on what the pre-conceived plan is in conjunction with the city manager prior to council meetings. No questions asked in council meetings. No need, they already have the plan of action provided to them prior to the meeting. Rubber stamping all that is presented in council meetings. No dissenters allowed.

Acceptance, (but signs of life on dealing with these issues recently) of the current status for the city as to crime rate, drug use, poverty level, poor shopping/entertainment amenities, government assistance programs, substandard job/livable wage selections, "open spaces/desolation/bombed out" areas.

Turn a blind eye to the poor road/infrastructure situation.

Raise taxes/water and sewer rates on residents until they bleed financially. Don't try to soften the blow by getting jobs and companies in here to help pay the city revenue. Naw, wouldn't want to do that. Just beat on the people. It's easier to do.

Claim to be business friendly, then do all they can to drive potential business away......I refer you to the O'Reilly's fiasco downtown with the intrusion of the worthless historical committee being involved. Ridiculous.

The school board as educational city leaders and their inability to change the academic direction of this school district for decades. Same old tune of failure. Same old types of people sitting behind the school board desk with their worthless meetings that accomplish little to nothing as to recognized progress. It is a stalemate as to production from this group. Sure, they succeeded in getting some new schools built but these new schools have produced nothing of value and the district is still a catastrophe. I would suspect that any future school board candidates will be cloned from the current and previous ones. Sad to see, year after year, the lack of quality people participating as school board members.

The people want livable wage jobs and a good selection as well.

The people want decent schools yielding decent progressive results.

The people want decent roads and infrastructure.

The people want a crime reduced, drug free clean city in which to live.

The people want lower taxes and want companies that have the money to take the lead in revenue provision for the city.

The people want shopping selection and entertainment for their families.

The people want a government that is inclusive and is open minded enough to actually listen to what the people want rather than to passify the people by pretending to listen on the surface while not caring at all and doing what THEY want when all is said and done.

I don't see any of the listed items above being done for the people to call any area as meeting the needs of the people.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 12:14pm

Buddha,

Again, you are in the wrong forum and topic … but here you are … so

Reference to your claimed personal encounters with “the top” (as you describe Mr Adkins) looks suspiciously like a ploy to defend his failed policies.

Contrary to your opinion, Mr Adkins and council actually do have all the power and control over all the issues. That’s the problem! Their focus on housing (a non-issue) calls attention away from the fact that they are ignoring all the real problems, most of which they, themselves, have created. Specifically, what has Mr Adkins done during his tenure as Director of Revitalization or City Manager to improve Middletown? The exact opposite comes to mind as follows: Failure of PAC, Cincinnati State etc., to revitalize downtown; Failure to maintain infrastructure; Losing our best amenities – Weatherwax Golf Course, Sebald Park etc.; Losing value of and revenue from major real estate give aways or $1 sales to favored insiders … ad nauseum. And the current administration seems to care less about our protests and is hoping that we will tire of repeating the same old criticism of the same old mistakes.

Admission of failure is a bitter pill. It’s not an easy thing to do. But learning from your mistakes is much better than continuing to make the same mistakes over and over. The current administration’s denial of our condition is another major fault.

Spider and VietVet, … you have hit the nail on the head with your comment! Sadly, those of us who share your views have failed to effect any changes through the ballot box. Few potential candidates are thick skinned enough to withstand being attacked by the powers that be. The few who have succeeded in being elected to council were publicly, unmercifully and unjustly criticized into submission and finally quit their council seat in the next election. Hope for change in the current administration is very thin. We should be organizing to file recall petitions and also present new candidates for the next election. If we don’t start NOW the next election will have the same old results.

Agreed Buddha … Mr Adkins has not revealed the contents or goal of his five year plan. We are almost three years into this unknown plan wih NO POSITIVE RESULTS. Dougie can leave Middletown high, dry and bankrupt to pursue greener pastures and use his “experience” as City Manager on his resume.  

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 2:00pm
SmileAugust 18,2017

Candice Keller, our Ohio State Representative from Middletown, made The Journal’s front page news!

Her salient comments show an ability to use common sense in a knee jerk world of political correctness.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 5:38pm
whistlersmom:

"We should be organizing to file recall petitions and also present new candidates for the next election."

Council and school board recalls.......might as well attempt to purge the school board while we purge the council.

Need to go to the Board of Elections, pick up some recall forms, enlist interested people to take them around town for signatures. Need 10% of the registered voters to qualify the recall lists. Get the required recall number to meet (and some extras just in case) from the elections board I guess.

At the same time, we need some committed candidates starting with two right now for council I believe. Need some school board member candidate participants as well.

Who will initiate the activity? Been proposed off and on on this forum for years now. Nothing to date has happened.

I could take some recall petitions around the northeast part of town for a start. Can't be as active as I would like to be being confined to the house taking care of my wife but could enlist my son to watch her at various times to procure signatures. Someone want to make the trip to Hamilton for the forms? Others want to take the forms around town to have signed? Need people from all areas of town on this.

Anyone know a pool of good solid people who want change and have knowledge of the city issues to discuss competently to offer as candidates? A good political organizer familiar with getting people elected would help.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by whistlersmom whistlersmom wrote:

SmileAugust 18,2017
<p style="margin-top: 0.04in; margin-bottom: 0.04in; line-height: 150%">
Candice Keller, our Ohio State Representative from Middletown, made
The Journal’s front page news!

<p align="left" style="margin-top: 0.04in; margin-bottom: 0.04in; line-height: 150%">
Her salient comments show an ability to use common sense in a knee
jerk world of political correctness.

Seems like a common sense, straight shooting, tell it like it is, no nonsense person. I voted for her and every time I read what she has to say, I feel I made the right choice. A refreshing approach from the dam politically correct, kinder/gentler nonsense prevalent in today's screwed-up society. Why do we listen to the minority numbers and cower down as a majority while we cower in the corner? Intimidation is alive and well and the irony is that the minority numbers are doing the intimidating in a democratic society. How is that happening? Ridiculous.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2017 at 9:05pm

There is some new “buzz” about solar energy. Lots of technical advancement/improvements are being made. Government grant money is still available for solar energy installation.

Some old news:

Did you know that the city of Middletown received grant money for construction of a new solar energy powered city garage years ago? The state of the art system was installed but was never used – never even tried out!!! Excuse: Maybe no one in the city knew how to use it! What a farce!! Isn’t that committing fraud on the Federal Government? – accepting grant money and then not following through with the intended purpose of the funding? Middletown could have been on the cutting edge – an example of a forward looking, savvy city.

In addition to that, the entire system has disappeared!!! That’s a lot of expensive equipment! Did Council authorize its removal? Was it trashed? Or did it “go somewhere”? Somebody must know. Removal of that size system could not go unnoticed. If it did go unnoticed that certainly demonstrates some fancy behind the scenes shenanigan.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2017 at 10:52pm

The Journal News has published on Saturday August 26, 2017 in the legal notices that $201,359 of CDBG FUNDS have been requested by Butler County to be released to Middletown for DOWN PAYMENT ASSISTANCE.

This could be cause for celebration but only if the funds are actually used for their intended purpose and for people who need the assistance. The citizens have no way of knowing to whom those funds go or for what and how many properties. Maybe the city should be publishing in the Journal News legal notices exactly where and how government grants and funds are spent.

The Journal News has published in the Sunday August 27, 2017 notice of two public hearings by the City of Middletown Planning Commission, concerning the property at I-75 and route 122 and Union Road.  A zoning change from Business Center Hub to Business Center Office is being considered on behalf of Kettering Health Network. This does not appear to be a major zoning change ...  the difference between Hub and Office. Must be another trivial bureaucratic hoop; just one more way Middletown discourages businesses and jobs that might locate in Middletown. Acceptance of an enterprise of this size and desirability should be streamlined and encouraged, not held back and delayed. The entire zoning system needs to be repealed and replaced with the basics that will eliminate the need for approval by four or five redundant bureaucracies.

Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 1:04am
Whistler'sMom -

Thank you for sharing recent Middletown Journal-News information regarding the city's HUD funding legal notice and Planning Commission public hearing notice.

Most MUSA participants aren't familiar with this topic, but, the subject 8-26-17 legal notice pertains to the HUD Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program and funds customarily requested from what was known as the Hamilton-Middletown Consortium (Cities of Hamilton plus Middletown).

As recently as mid-2008, the city received $400,000+ annually and provided assistance to 60+ new first-time home owners over the prior 12 months.  However, things were drastically changed beginning in March 2009.  Now, the city receives about $200,000 annually and the administration of the Down Payment/Closing Cost Assistance Program was farmed out to a Hamilton-based non-profit organization.  It's thought that the number of new first-time home buyers assisted annually is about 50% of 2008 figures.  And, roughly $200,000 of HOME Program funds formerly received annually by the city are now allocated to other Butler County townships, etc.

Because of major changes in CDBG and HOME Programs funding allocation priorities since my departure, not only has the Down Payment/Closing Cost activity been restructured, but, the Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program was terminated outright.  These actions were necessary to provide for much costlier housing code enforcement administrative staffing, etc.

I hope that this newest trip down HUD lane clarifies things.  I''m also hopeful that Mr. Adkins would be amenable in providing a simple database and legible/easily viewable program activity location map depicting the specific locations of Down Payment/Closing Cost recipient homes.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 9:49am
Additionally, about 2010 or 2011, Mr. Adkins sought/received HUD designation for the entirety of the city to become a low- to moderate-income municipality.  This permitted first-time buyer households of all incomes to be eligible regardless of financial need.  Previously, only first-time buyers with incomes at or below 80% area median were HUD eligible to apply for/receive secondary financing.

It should also be noted that Community Development Division staff once administered twice-monthly Home Buyer Education Classes held at One Donham Plaza.  During the last year of my tenure, 300+ prospective first-time home buyers successfully completed this HUD-approved eight hour curriculum.  Now, the current city administration has also farmed out this formerly successful, high impact endeavor to a Hamilton-based non-profit organization.  No information is available as to the number of annual class attendees or the location(s) of said classes.

The elimination of the former "target areas" Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program, the dramatic reduction in Down Payment & Closing Cost assistance (DPA) funding, the significant decline in Emergency Home Repair funding, the transference of Home Buyer Education classes and DPA program administration to a Hamilton-based non-profit have had a colossal negative impact on Middletown's most vulnerable neighborhoods situated mostly in former Ward 2 and Ward 1 areas.

I maintain that city Community Development priorities, policies, plans and programs promulgated since March 2009 have accelerated housing problems within Middletown.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 11:00am

Thanks to Analytical we are better informed about the misuse of government funds. Quote from his last post:

Because of major changes in CDBG and HOME Programs funding allocation priorities since my departure, not only has the Down Payment/Closing Cost activity been restructured, but, the Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program was terminated outright.  These actions were necessary to provide for much costlier housing code enforcement administrative staffing, etc.”

Maybe all the funds went to administrative costs to pay inspectors to abuse owner-occupants who are seniors having difficulty keeping their property up to city requirements. Owner-occupancy is admittedly at an all time low. But Council seems determined to stay the course of paying for “administration” and “inspectors” of a program which will no longer benefit the intended people or may cease to exist due to lack insufficient funds (drained by administrative cost). Leave no doubt, misuse of funds has worsened the conditions they were intended to help.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2017 at 2:10pm
Besides the current CDBG itemized administrative budget provided below, Vivian Moon recently queried as to what happened to the $250,000+/- computer software program and hardware(?) that Mr. Adkins purchased for the Section 8 Program a few years back?  Was it sold or given to Butler Metropolitan Housing Authority (BMHA) when the city relinquished all Section 8 Program administrative duties?

Additionally, it wasn't too long ago that Mr. Adkins GLOATED that there were only 850+ Section 8 Program units out of 1662 situated within Middletown city limits.  When repeatedly questioned on this BOLD STATEMENT, he said that this was the number given to him by BMHA and that he was tired of talking about this subject.

I must remind Mr. Adkins and MUSA participants that as recently as 2008, I obtained from C.O.N.S.O.C. a database of all Section 8 Program properties including property addresses and landlord names.  This was forwarded by me to Judy Gilleland, Major Mark Hoffman, Les Landen and Marty Kohler.

With this being said, and with Mr. Adkins having lavishly spent HUD funds for a all-world Section 8 Program database, are we to assume that he has no record of current Section 8 Program properties within the city limits?  Are we also to assume that BMHA would not maintain said database following the transfer?  Are we to believe that BMHA would NOT PROVIDE said database to Mr. Adkins since?

One more time, how can anyone explain the reduction of 1,600+ subsidized rental units to 860+ recently?  Comments publicly made immediately following the transfer to BMHA never PREPOSTEROUSLY BOASTED of such a huge reduction in numbers of properties as was the case earlier this year.  So far, Mr. Adkins has remained shielded due to the blind support of One Donham Abbey loyalists, thereby avoiding serious confrontation .

Now is not the time for exaggerated claims and baseless promises.  Middletown is a troubled community that requires well-planned, cost-effective and transparent solutions.

Originally Posted by Analytical: Mar 05 2017 at 1:25pm
               STRAIGHT FROM  ONE DONHAM ABBEY

The workbook for next week's City Council meeting includes the city staff proposed
budget for the 2017-18 CDBG Annual Action Plan.  Of the $670,261 provided to the
city by HUD, $474,397 (70% plus) will be spent for administrative purposes (Rehab
Program Delivery, Code Enforcement and Administration).

Emergency Repair Assistance - $50,000
Rehab Program Delivery - $15,000
Fair Housing (H.O.M.E.) - $5,000
Legal Aid of Southwest Ohio, LLC - $15,000
Community Center - $41,000
Senior Center - $46,000
Code Enforcement - $330,345
Demolition - $38,864
Administration - $129,052 (Estimated)
TOTAL = $670,261

For some reason, the workbook does not mention the amount of HUD funds to be
received for the 2017-18 HOME Program, NSP program income, etc.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2017 at 8:41pm
 Agree, Analytical!  And Iwant to add:

Mr Adkins “erroneously” stated that there was a fortuitous reduction in Middletown’s Section 8 vouchers. He was reporting only the vouchers under the Butler County/Middletown program (895 vouchers) and ignoring the Warren County/Middletown program (767 vouchers). There was no change/reduction in the total number of Middletown’s 1662 vouchers (but perhaps an attempt to manipulate the facts and figures to his advantage). 

Adkins knows just what he's doing ... twisting the facts.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2017 at 11:34pm
SpiderJohn, VietVet, swohio75, Whistler'sMom, Vivian Moon, etc. -

It seems that last year's property taxes for the vacant/deteriorating Manchester Inn, due and payable by the 8-3-2017 deadline, remain $7,000 in arrears.  Recent car trips by the Goetz Tower show no signs of re-construction activity.  Nothing is new to report on the status of the re-construction of the Rose Furniture and Sonshine Building properties.  The Strand Theatre remains a large, highly visible eyesore on Central Avenue.  And, I dare not mention other stalled and not-yet-started so-called "former downtown" projects as SpriderJohn would say.

Over the years there's been so much blustering about the above "former downtown" revitalization projects and how good things were just around the corner.  The only question today remains, what's taking so long?  Middletown citizens deserve some straight talk.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2017 at 10:52am
There seem to be so many pertinent questions to ask City Council candidates regarding the "former downtown" projects, neighborhood housing priorities and policies, economic development activities and jobs actually created.  It appears that the responses of Joe Mulligan and Dora Bronston would be of greatest interest.  It would be useful for other candidates, those who've never served on City Council, to voice their opinions, evaluations and potential changes.

How informative it would also be for other current City Council members to offer their individual opinions as to the direction that One Donham Abbey senior staff have taken over the past 8.5 years relative to community development.  It seems unlikely that any of these four "representatives of the citizens" would be willing to speak out.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2017 at 10:11pm

Thumbs UpWay to go Monroe for landing Amazon and 1000 new jobs!!!!

Middletown could have been the location of choice for similar business and industry ventures.

If only the acres of property adjacent to I 75 had not been foolishly zoned as high-end residential.

Business and industry continues to build up at interchanges all along the I 75 corridor close to Middletown. Commerce likes locations with quick easy access to major highways. Cry But our Council decided to zone our commercial appropriate, interchange acreage as residential. What were they thinking? … Oh, they weren’t thinking. There are plenty of other more appropriate locations for housing. Besides, who would want to live adjacent to a noisy highway.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2017 at 8:19pm

From the Journal News August 31, 2017 Section B State and Local

PUBLIC SAFETY

Another suspicious fire at ‘eye sore’

Middletown firefighters called to fire in abandoned building.

By Lauren Pack
Staff Writer

This abandoned building at 3310 Tytus Ave., the site of a suspicious fire Tuesday, has been the site of several fires over the past few months.

RICK MCCRABB/ STAFF

MIDDLETOWN — An abandoned Middletown building described by the city’s fire chief as an “eye sore” was again the site of a suspicious fire.

Middletown firefighters were called Tuesday to the abandoned building at 3310 Tytus Ave. and found a fire inside.

The fire department was dispatched at about 4:47 p.m. to a report of light smoke showing from the building near the corner of Ohio Avenue.

There was a small fire. A pile of stuff on fire inside,” said Middletown Fire Chief Paul Lolli.

In the past few months there have been fires set inside and outside the building, he said.

It is fair to say the fire was suspicious,” Lolli said.

The former commercial building was designated a dangerous building and there are orders for the structure to be boarded up, according to the city building department.

However, Lolli said the “eye sore” is still accessible to people.

When crews arrived at the building Tuesday, four doors in the front were boarded up but the back door was open, according to the fire report.

It appeared someone could have entered the building, according to firefighters.

Building owner Nick Kidd arrived at the fire scene and said he had mowed the grass that afternoon and did not notice anything unusual, according to the report.

Kidd said the electricity to the building has been turned off for at least four years and he did not have insurance on the building.Kidd indicated he had many issues over the years with people and stealing items and vandalizing the property, according to the report.

Firefighters were called on June 20 to the back of the property where fires were found burning in debris in the garage. A neighbor reported hearing a “pop” then went outside and saw smoke.

Middletown city officials did not respond to this newspaper’s requests about the status of the building.

Contact this reporter at 513-705-2841 or email Lauren. Pack@coxinc.com.

When the fire department arrived at 3310 Tytus Avenue, the location of a “suspicious fire”, the front of the building was totally secured and boarded up. The gate through the 8 foot fence surrounding the property had been secured with a heavy chain and padlock until June 20 when the fire dept informed the owner, Nick Kidd, that they had cut the chain earlier that day to check on smoke coming from behind the building.

The owner has had to secure the fence repeatedly, due to vandals and thieves who continue to operate in the area. This time, the fire department was responsible for leaving the fence, and therefore the rear of the building, unsecured. In the article, fire chief, Lolli admits that upon arrival they were aware that the gate was unsecured and there was easy access to the rear of the building. So, why did they completely demolish all the boarded-up, intact heavy aluminum and half-inch thick plate glass doors on the front of the building for a small fire, easily accessible in one end of the back of building?

The building became an eyesore because the city tagged it to be torn down nearly four years ago, Nov 5, 2013. At that time, Kidd was having serious heart surgery, but his business was still in operation there. Reason for condemning the building was various and unclear according to the notice placed on the building. Then later, the city claimed not to have the money to pay for the demolition. Kidd’s attorneys consulted the city about making any required repairs and saving the building, but the city would not agree. The condition of the building did, then, deteriorate because repairing a condemned building is a senseless expense. Again the city is responsible for that.

Because the city had placed demolition notice on the front of the building, Middletown’s booming population of section 8 housing, drug addicts and thieves went to work on vandalizing or taking the equipment and supplies and anything else of value that they could haul away. This resulted in the total loss of Kidd’s business and commercial property. At that time the police dispatch phone number was answered with a recording … and even if you stayed on the phone all day long you never got an answer to a call about the thievery and vandalism. So police did not respond to Kidd’s numerous problems with break-ins. In today’s article the fire chief, Lolli, said this fire was suspicious. There was no indication of how the small interior fire was discovered.

Isn’t it interesting that according to the article, the city doesn’t want to reveal to the Journal News the true status of the building? It might also reveal that the city condemned the building, then failed to carry through on the intention to tear it down, leaving it vulnerable over a period of years to vandals and thieves. The owner has not had commercial use of the building for years but all along has been billed for full commercial property taxes and out of his own pocket, paid to keep the building secured. The city turned off the water to the building but billed him for storm water sewer charges when no storm sewer ever existed there. When $1000 of charges were not paid, the city illegally transferred those charges to Kidd’s home address next door. When he did not pay that bogus bill, the city shut off the water to his home. If that is not abuse, what is? The owner ceased to pay the exorbitant property taxes on his building which was scheduled to be torn down. He was notified approximately a year ago that the property would go up for sheriff’s sale for non-payment of taxes.

I sent a copy of this post to Lauren Pack’s email address offering her the opportunity to report the rest of the story … an opposing view point … but she required more information instead of verifying the presented facts on her own. Perhaps she was instructed to do so. She is only a staff writer. Haven’t heard anything more from her. So much for unbiased reporting.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2017 at 1:21pm
There's so much to be learned (and valued) from the community betterment endeavors of other municipalities comparable to Middletown.  Information is power.  There's more than one way to skin an apple.  Idea sharing can enlighten and empower citizens.

Middletown is at a crossroads in terms of priorities, policies, plans and programs.  Job creation/economic development, older areas property re-investment, downtown/other commercial rejuvenation and home ownership promotion are major issues and opportunities.  Senior city staff and elected officials need to be more receptive to fresh ideas and new, more productive/cost-effective solutions.

MUSA participants can and should have a meaningful role in the hoped for re-birth of Middletown.   This opportunity is at your disposal.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2017 at 10:33am
Monroe's Successful Economic Development Efforts To Provide Potential New Job Opportunities For Middletown's Residents

E-retail giant Amazon is planning a new fulfillment center in Monroe that could create 1,000 jobs.

The Ohio Tax Credit Authority moved Wednesday to approve a 10-year tax credit for the company, which would create more than $26.7 million in payroll in Warren County. The 10-year tax incentive would be worth close to $3.8 million if Amazon creates the jobs promised. The company's new building will cost $30 million.

The state has not immediately identified a location for the new center, but several sites there are being marketed as ready for development. IDI Gazeley has several large sites in the Park North development, along Gateway Boulevard, including two that could support a distribution center of up to 1.2 million square feet. That site has already recently won several major distribution hubs.
The state says it's hopeful Amazon will top its jobs commitment, as has been the case with its two standing hubs in Columbus. Jobs are expected to be created through the end of 2020, state documents show.

"The proposed project is competitive with multiple states in the Midwest and would result in significant job growth and capital investment," according to a memo from Ohio Development Services Agency. "The company is key employer in state and has been very successful in over-performing its commitments."
Amazon officials have not responded to requests for additional details on the new facility.

A JobsOhio spokesperson said it will continue to work with the company on the project, noting it's not a done deal and there are still steps to take before the company fully commits to the center. REDI Cincinnati, the economic development group that oversees development in Greater Cincinnati, also confirmed it was working with Amazon.

"The tax credit is an important step in the project and we continue to work closely with the companies as well as state and local partners to move it forward," JobsOhio spokesperson Matt Engelhart said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic