FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kettering Medical Denial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kettering Medical Denial
    Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 7:27am
Journal story today about the Planning Committee denying Kettering Medical a plan to develop more medical facilities out by Atrium Hospital. Story says the thinking has changed as to what was initially proposed. Kettering has spent some bucks knocking down a hotel with asbestos already. It was suppose to be an out patient type of operation but there is a question about it going to a full blown hospital.

Protecting Atrium from competition perhaps? Story says Atrium contributes to the Middletown community (and therefore must be protected
against competition I guess) Can't make a city contributor angry.

On the other hand, with that decision, aren't they denying medical patients freedom of choice and additional medical facilities in which to choose?

Which way do we go? Keep Atrium competition away and protect a contributor and the drawing power it has for other surrounding medical services or give people choices for their medical care? Competition is suppose to be a healthy thing in business isn't it?

Other considerations include the additional jobs and revenue that would be created with the Kettering facility in place.

All of this goes before council for their decision. Will they choose wisely or will they keep their inept track record in tact?

Given the lack of decent paying jobs in this city, do we turn down these types of opportunities for growth?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 8:50am
They didn't deny the plan or the building, they denied the rezoning of the property.  The building and original use were previously approved. Kettering wanted to rezone the land to allow for additional use. 

I would like to understand their rationale (outside of Atrium's objection) for denial.  Unfortunately the city has decided to no longer record and make available planning commission meetings on YouTube.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 9:23am
"They didn't deny the plan or the building, they denied the rezoning of the property. The building and original use were previously approved. Kettering wanted to rezone the land to allow for additional use."

Ok, sw, bottom line is it ain't gonna happen for Kettering as they had planned.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

"They didn't deny the plan or the building, they denied the rezoning of the property. The building and original use were previously approved. Kettering wanted to rezone the land to allow for additional use."

Not necessarily true.  

First, they've adjusted their plan, and their new plan (3-4 months later) doesn't fit current zoning.  

Staff's recommendation was for approval.  City Council has the ability to override Planning Commission's denial. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 11:12am
My healthcare accepted Kettering but not Premiere
That could be an issue for many
Think about those needing health care
Maybe make both options available?

The connected big hitters showed up for Atrium
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Not necessarily true.  

First, they've adjusted their plan, and their new plan (3-4 months later) doesn't fit current zoning.  

Staff's recommendation was for approval.  City Council has the ability to override Planning Commission's denial. 

You are correct. Thank you for the specifics.
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 3:32pm
Typical small town thinking.  When will this city (well, its leaders at the very least) come to the realization that this city NEEDS all the business and expansion it can get to create jobs, which create revenue for the city, to get it back on its feet?

Argh....and my insurance isn't good at Atrium anyway....

Let them build what they want.  If they want to build it - let them build and watch who else wants to build....then Middletown might just have a revival!  
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
Just wondering View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Just wondering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 5:53pm
Posted below is a copy of my e-mail to Mr. Adkins & city council concerning the new KMC facility.

Dear Mr. Adkins:

After reading the article referenced below, I am appalled that the Middletown city planning commission denied the rezoning request from the Kettering Health Network.

For quite some time the Premier Health/Atrium Medical Center has been buying medical practices, clinics, surgery centers etc., so that they control most medical care and have reduced competition in Middletown.

Atrium is now engaged in a dispute with a major health insurance company over coverage for it’s policy holders because of Atrium’s prices.

Approval of KHN’s plan to provide full service care to the citizens of Middletown would bring much needed competition and convenience to the area.

Please consider the needs of Middletown’s citizens over the wishes of Atrium’s leadership.

I strongly urge you and  all members of Middletown City Council to reverse the planning commission’s decision and do everything you can to bring this much needed facility to our community.

Respectfully, Angry

Comments anyone ?
Inquiring minds want to know.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 9:24pm
That's the right thing to do - well, that and actually voicing it to council at the meeting.  Make your voice heard!
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2017 at 9:54pm
build it and they will come for healthcare
better than a strip mall or fast food chain
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2017 at 1:32pm
According to the following 9-19-2017 city council meeting agenda, as posted unusually late this morning, the much-discussed Kettering Hospital zoning matter will not be considered at this time.
The subject agenda is as follows:

MIDDLETOWN CITY COUNCIL AGENDA TUESDAY, September 19, 2017

It is the policy of the City of Middletown to make all public hearings an meetings accessible to all persons, in accordance with state and/or federal laws. If you have a disability which requires accommodation in order for you to attend and/or participate in this meeting, please contact us at 425- 7831 at least forty-eight hours prior to the time of the meeting to advise us of the need for accommodation, and reasonable efforts shall be made to provide the same.

This agenda may be accessed on the City of Middletown website @ http://www.cityofmiddletown.org.

CITY COUNCIL BUSINESS MEETING – 5:30 pm – COUNCIL CHAMBERS – LOWER LEVEL

1. MOMENT OF MEDITATION/PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
2. ROLL CALL
3. CITIZEN COMMENTS, GUESTS, ORGANIZATIONS’ REPORTS Julie-Joyce Smith- Butler County Auditor’s Office
4. CITY MANAGER REPORTS
5. CONSENT AGENDA. . . Matters listed under the Consent Agenda are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote of consent. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If discussion is desired, that item will be removed and considered separately.

(a) Approve City Council Minutes: September 5, 2017
(b) Receive and File Board and Commission Minutes: Airport Commission- April 20, May 18, and June 15, 2017
(c) Confirm Personnel Appointments of: • Shelby Quinlivan- Communications Coordinator, Economic Development Department • Devon Back- Dispatcher, Public Safety, Division of Police. • Arnold Finkbine- Staff Attorney, Law Department
(d) Confirm Promotional Appointment of Edward Truster, Equipment Operator, Department of Public Works & Utilities, Division of Street Maintenance.
(e) Authorize the City Manager to enter into a contract with Environmental Remediation Contractor to proceed with the Fixed Explosive Gas Mitigation System project at the closed Middletown Landfill.

COUNCIL COMMENTS MIDDLETOWN CITY COUNCIL AGENDA TUESDAY, September 19, 2017

It is the policy of the City of Middletown to make all public hearings an meetings accessible to all persons, in accordance with state and/or federal laws. If you have a disability which requires accommodation in order for you to attend and/or participate in this meeting, please contact us at 425- 7831 at least forty-eight hours prior to the time of the meeting to advise us of the need for accommodation, and reasonable efforts shall be made to provide the same.

This agenda may be accessed on the City of Middletown website @ http://www.cityofmiddletown.org. 

LEGISLATION

1. Ordinance No. O2017-40, an Ordinance Amending Chapter 1456 (Chronic Nuisance Abatement) of the Codified Ordinances. (Second Reading)
2. Resolution No. R2017-22, a resolution authorizing the filing of applications for CY 2018 with the Ohio Department of Transportation for grants under the Ohio Public Transportation Grant Program. (Second Reading)
3. Resolution No. R2017-23, a resolution authorizing the filing of an application with the Department of Transportation, United States of America, for a grant under the Federal Transit Administration act of 1991, as amended. (Second Reading)
4. Resolution No. R2017-24, a resolution in support of a plan to improve Miami Park to include a dog park. (Second Reading)
5. Resolution No. R2017-25, a resolution to make adjustments to appropriations for current expenses and other expenditures of the City of Middletown, Counties of Butler and Warren, State of Ohio, for the period ending December 31, 2017 and declaring an emergency. (General Fund)
6. Resolution No. R2017-26, a resolution temporarily suspending a portion of a Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area and declaring an emergency.
7. Resolution No. R2017-27, a resolution authorizing the City Manager to submit an application to the Ohio Public Works Commission for Project Year 32 requesting funding for improvements to various local streets throughout the City, to enter into agreements for such funding, and declaring an emergency. (No action requested until October 3, 2017)

EXECUTIVE SESSION

Under the authority of O.R.C. 121.22 (G) (2) To consider the purchase of property for public purposes, or for the sale of property at competitive bidding, if premature disclosure of information would give an unfair competitive or bargaining advantage.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2017 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Analytical Analytical wrote:

According to the following 9-19-2017 city council meeting agenda, as posted unusually late this morning, the much-discussed Kettering Hospital zoning matter will not be considered at this time.
I believe it was stated that the Planning Commission's decision would go before council for confirmation the next month, which has been usual practice.

whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2017 at 7:30pm

FINALLY the agenda and workbook for the 9/19/2017 council meeting was posted one day in advance!

WOW, can you hear the grinding of the wheels of progress in our so called “fair” city?

All the better to avoid having to give any notice of something that may be objectionable to the citizens who might wish to discuss whys and wherefores of predetermined acceptance/rejection of legislation which will of course NOT be discussed by council in the meeting. The “Sunshine Law” is again set on it’s head and totally ignored!

Also let’s examine this occurrence and use of executive session and the reason for it.

Quote from agenda for 9/19/17:

EXECUTIVE SESSION

Under the authority of O.R.C. 121.22 (G) (2) To consider the purchase of property for public purposes, or for the sale of property at competitive bidding, if premature disclosure of information would give an unfair competitive or bargaining advantage

Since we can not trust council to give adequate, or at times, ANY opportunity for input or discussion in public sessions why should we trust that they are not going to discuss, in executive session, ANY “sensitive” issues they want to hide from public view (like the Kettering rezoning) in addition to those that are announced ? Or behind closed doors, use undue pressure on any council members who might not be in agreement (on Kettering rezoning?) with the “powers that be”?

Has anyone else taken note that the City of Middletown website has expunged the minutes records from 9/5/17 all the way down to 8/15/2017? Will they claim this is inadvertent? The missing minutes just happen to include some real discussion (however brief) about Bar Boca. That discussion still exists on YouTube! OOPS, I shouldn’t have mentioned that … they can erase any “undesirable” part of that too, at their discretion!!! It’s happened before and was noted on this forum. Remember the snickering about a very late executive session being beyond someone’s bedtime? That was removed. That was the only instance that was found. There could be more. Question: Who handles YouTube videos for council?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2017 at 10:06pm
I was just out there - and all the minutes that have been accepted and approved by council (minus the last meeting which have not been accepted and filed) are out there.....

Yes, they were posted only today - I assume it was a simple oversight.  I say that because I email our Council Clerk and within seconds she emailed me the agenda - and had gotten it posted.  I don't know why this delay is so bothersome, but I'll digress.

As for me - I will be there tomorrow just to make my opinion known about the bar purchase & Kettering - and then let them do their thing.  Everyone here who is so opposed to all this should be there too....
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by whistlersmom whistlersmom wrote:

Has anyone else taken note that the City of Middletown website has expunged the minutes records from 9/5/17 all the way down to 8/15/2017? Will they claim this is inadvertent? The missing minutes just happen to include some real discussion (however brief) about Bar Boca. That discussion still exists on YouTube! OOPS, I shouldn’t have mentioned that … they can erase any “undesirable” part of that too, at their discretion!!! It’s happened before and was noted on this forum. Remember the snickering about a very late executive session being beyond someone’s bedtime? That was removed. That was the only instance that was found. There could be more. Question: Who handles YouTube videos for council?

The city hasn't expunged any meeting minutes from the website.  9/5/17 minutes haven't been approved yet, and the previous meeting was 8/15/17 and those minutes are there.  The minutes of the 9/5/17 meeting are currently housed inside the workbook for tonight's meeting (pages 7-10) to be approved by council.  Once approved they'll be posted in the minutes section. This is common practice.  I am by no means a 100% supporter of the city administration but why try to create more reasons to be upset when there are plenty already there to choose from?
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 11:05am
Thanks for your clarification MiddletownScouter.  And, frankly, just like Whistler'sMom, I also was beginning to wonder about the reasons for the city's abnormally late website posting of tonight's city council agenda and workbook myself.

I understand from a very reliable source that two city council members are in favor of approving the Kettering Hospital's zoning request.  As for the other three council members, at least one opposes the subject request?

As swohio75 points out, this matter will be resolved one way or another next month.  I do wish to thank Whistler'sMom for being such an active MUSA participant.  He/She has offered many interesting opinions plus probing questions for senior city staff to SOMEDAY answer.
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 6:12pm

Critical remarks are expected and appreciated. I’m happy to see that attention is being paid to this forum and that corrections are offered when thought to be needed.

However, and I could be wrong, I thought that the minutes had been posted and were taken down because I read (somewhere) the comments and questions that Mr Moon made concerning Bar Boca, and Mr Bohannon’s “abstain” on the vote for the purchase. I don’t see those quoted from the 9/5/2017 council meeting, in the Journal News. Tell me … anyone else …were Mr Moon’s comments quoted in the Journal? Where else could it have been in print?

My sincere apologies if I’m incorrect! It is not my intention to cause more problems, but to bring attention to problems that need solutions.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic