FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middie Death Threats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middie Death Threats
    Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 2:08pm
Middletown head football coach who says he received threats, resigns... and here’s why in his own words:

October 28, 2017
To: Mrs. Carmela Cotter 
Head Principal 
Middletown High School 

Head Football Coach Middletown High School

Re: Head Football Coaching Position

To Whom It May Concern;

I hereby resign my position as Head Football Coach at Middletown High School. The online death threats, threats of physical violence, personal and deceitful attacks from parents and community members, and verbal abuse leveled against myself, my family, and my coaching staff have devolved into an unsafe environment which I refuse to tolerate. These threats of physical harm and verbal abuse stem from the misguided community perspective on the irrational importance on winning high school football games, unrealistic expectations from parents related to their son's abilities and future prospects, and parental belief that bullying coaches is an acceptable method of communication. 

I understand the high-profile nature and acceptable criticism associated with being the head football coach at Middletown High School, however, winning and losing at the high school level should not be a life-threatening situation. I would like to thank Head Principal Carmela Cotter, Assistant Principal(s) Anna Bowman, J Lail, Larry Kozlowski, Assistant Athletic Director Matt Louis, and Athletic Department Secretary Jayna Vaughn for their unwavering support. Thank you for the opportunity to serve as the head football coach for the past two years.

Respectfully,

T.Lance Engleka
(former) Head Football Coach Dean of Students
Middletown High School

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 9:13pm
Taking it too far. Disappointed in the team's performance and resulting record? You bet. Not up to the caliber we have expected from Middletown sports, especially the residents who have been here during the more successful years.

Mr. Engleka has it right. Winning or not winning high school football games is not even close to the death threat category. Of course we would like to see Middletown sports take off again. But if the coaches don't have the talent to compete, the results won't be favorable for any coach. Needs to be some dedication and committment from the players as well as the coaching staff and parents. Perhaps Mr. Engleka didn't experience this during his tenure.

A shame some parents and football fans couldn't have responded with more class and dignity. Not a way to send a coach packing for any city and another black eye for a city that has suffered many black eyes the last few decades.

This long time Middletown resident offers his apologies Mr. Engleka. This is not how Middletown use to treat their people.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic