FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hidden news

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hidden news
    Posted: Mar 02 2018 at 12:28am
Why doesn't the local paper report incidents that happen in Middletown. There was a fight at the local high school this week with all phones taken from students who video it, plus students finally broke it up as 3 or more teachers just stood around and watched it.  
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2018 at 8:02am
The Journal News has a reputation for selective reporting.  

Channel 9 News has a good reputation for reporting uncensored news and investigates news tips.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2018 at 8:07am
Because there isn't a local paper anymore?  The Middletown Journal was sucked into the Journal-News several years ago which appears to be more prominent to Hamilton and the rest of Butler County than Middletown.  At best we have a regional paper where our community is more of an afterthought than anything else.

But to be fair, a google search for all the regional news outlets is showing nothing at all about an incident this week at MHS.  There is one Fox19 story about a mom upset that her daughter is getting a 10 day suspension for filming a fight at Highview Monday, but that's it.
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2018 at 10:25am
Suppressing information, confiscating phones and failure of teachers to halt fights at city schools sounds like some serious violations ...  of civil rights?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2018 at 2:06pm
I'm all for this kind of information - but where's the proof?  It's one thing to report something that is common knowledge - it's another thing to level accusations that can't be proven.

I'm not being sarcastic, Tomahawk, just being honest.  If there's any proof that there was an incident - and the cell phones were confiscated - then those involved need to stand up and speak out.

Sometimes in our schools there are incidents that involve students with special needs that, when isolated by a 15 second video on a phone, can be either blown out of proportion or are just out of context.  But - it I were a student and had my phone confiscated because of something like this - I'd be speaking up about it.  If I was the parent of the kid and I bought them a cell phone and it was confiscated (and I've seen kids all over that campus on their phones at all hours of the day, so it's not a permissive issue) I think I'd be pretty upset and speak up about it.

If the incident happened - those involved need to speak up...otherwise it kinda resembles slander when revealed in this manner.  Again - I'm not trying to say it didn't happen - but if that's true there's a heck of a story that any number of news outlets would love to get their hands on.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2018 at 5:50pm
I used to have to visit Highview on a regular basis. I called it Shawshank.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2018 at 12:50am
The incident happened at Highview not high school as I was first informed. You can go to Fox news and type in fight at Middletown school which has a video. The date was Feb. 28th and was broadcasted by fox the same night.  
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2018 at 1:19pm
I just watched the full report.

1. A teacher (at least an adult was seen stepping in to stop the fight - not students).
2. Only one phone was taken according to the report
3. The student was suspended after taking the phone back to the classroom and showing the video to others
4. Neither the parent nor student would show their faces.
5. No discussion of said student's prior disciplinary history.
6. Parent only going to appeal length of suspension not overturn it.

Methinks there's more to this story...I'm not really sure what the Journal would have reported.  There was a fight a Highview.  Happens everyday.  What would have made this newsworthy?
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 1:02pm
Has anyone here had their comments removed from this site?

MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 1:20pm
I'm surprised that personal slurs against commenting members are allowed to remain while posts uncomfortable to the city are removed.  Odd.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 9:03am
Either you're joking or you haven't bothered to read most of the posting going on on MUSA.  The vast majority of the 25 or so active users are very much not fans of just about anything the city does.  If Mr. Beagle were to remove comments that were uncomfortable to the city, well there'd be nearly no traffic at all.
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 6:13pm
Middletownscouter -

You seem to have an "unorthodox interest" in documenting the diminished number of active MUSA Blog members and those expressing displeasure with city government priorities, policies, plans and programs.  You should spend additional time going through the MUSA Blog archives over the past 10 years.  You'll find quite a number of now inactive members who factually voiced concerns regarding the actions of One Donham Abbey staff and city council counterparts.  You'll find that a number of participants grew tired of posting along the way because senior city staff and city council never paid much (if any) attention to their concerns.  It had become an "exercise in futility" for some that continues on to this day.

It would be interesting to know your personal take on the costs/benefits and failures/successes derived from the $20+ million spent since March 2009 on economic development, downtown revitalization plus older neighborhoods improvements.  What say you?  Please be specific if you choose to reply.
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 12:22am
You are right, Scout,  I withdraw the question and comment.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Analytical Analytical wrote:

You should spend additional time going through the MUSA Blog archives over the past 10 years.  You'll find quite a number of now inactive members who factually voiced concerns regarding the actions of One Donham Abbey staff and city council counterparts.  You'll find that a number of participants grew tired of posting along the way because senior city staff and city council never paid much (if any) attention to their concerns.  It had become an "exercise in futility" for some that continues on to this day.

I don't need to go through the archives, I've been here for it and seen the decline firsthand.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 9:55am
You'll find that a number of participants grew tired of posting along the way because senior city staff and city council never paid much (if any) attention to their concerns.  It had become an "exercise in futility" for some that continues on to this day.
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 11:09am
The futility does not absolve our responsibility.
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 2:37pm
Scouter,

You obliquely craft comments about the MUSA Blog's ineffectiveness plus the futility of participants raising valid issues about Mr. Adkins and city council priorities, policies, programs and projects.  While It's your prerogative to do so, why not consider penning an occasional constructive suggestion instead?

What's interesting is your avoidance of realistic ideas to strengthen and expand blog participation.  The same holds true for your absence of commentary refuting documented waste of city funds in undertaking ill-conceived "downtown" and older neighborhoods revitalization.

Matt R and Whistlersmom are right in stating that it's a responsibility to speak out when those in power are seemingly sustaining and not diminishing so many detrimental community problems afflicting Middletown.

We're still awaiting your opinions on Middletown's betterment.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by MattR MattR wrote:

I'm surprised that personal slurs against commenting members are allowed to remain while posts uncomfortable to the city are removed.  Odd.

If you think you could do a better job, come and see me at my office.

In the meantime, we do our best to keep the site open to free speech as much as possible. 
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 4:56pm
John,

The blog remains the only venue in the city that promotes free speech and diversity of thought.  Thanks!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 5:44pm
mr.b--thanx 4 all that u have done here
has 2 b a difficult  juggle
much appreciated
don't know what else 2 say about these situations
groundhog day?
deja vu all over again?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2018 at 7:59am
Nelson,

You're so far off base it borders on the absurd.  I've commented on the shrinking userbase on exactly two threads on this message board.  It is not unorthodox for a long time user to look around and say "Where did everyone go?"  If you think it is, then I don't know what to tell you.

When there are threads where I feel like giving my input, I have done so.  Whether it was for or against city policies, that has varied based on my opinions of those specific topics.

What I have not done, and will continue to not do after this comment, is engage in your multi-year unorthodox - nay, unhealthy - interest in doing not a single thing but grind your personal axe against a city administration that you have not worked for or lived in for nearly a decade.  Because to engage in that would be like wearing a belt made of watches...simply a waist (waste) of time.

But hey, you do you.  Just leave me out of it, I have no interest in being sucked down that rabbit hole.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2018 at 8:20am
Since you're apparently comfortable with the outcomes of the city's multi-million dollar "downtown", economic development and older neighborhoods revitalization(?) of the past nine years, there's really nothing else to say to you.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2018 at 1:17pm
???
Crazy talk,Nelson imo
No one here is bound to anyone else or any particular thinking
Things might work better if we read and listen to everyone
Everyone wants the city to improve
It’s not like saviors are lining up to work in Middietown
Granted, Council is doing very little to inform citizens and change perceptions
I would not vote for any of them to return, though I am willing to work with them or help them in any way possible

Criticizing Scouter for being a realistic optimistic thinking citizen seems very counter-productive imo
Websites come and go with popularity
I see that I have posted here for 11 years now and have accomplished little to nothing
I choose to quietly live my time here and help wherever asked that I see as sensible and constructive
It has been very informative here—I hope that it continues
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2018 at 6:49pm
Thanks for the smack down 4 hours after I withdrew my comment, classy.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2018 at 12:18pm
No smack down
I respect mr. Self as much as anyone
I appreciate the sharing of information by everyone
Same with opinions
We all want a better Middietown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic