FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meijer removing tobacco products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meijer removing tobacco products
    Posted: Apr 04 2018 at 11:01am
Was at Meijer yesterday for a quick shopping trip and I saw that they're adding more of the self checkout stations, over on the General Merchandise end of the store.

Also saw that they had removed to tobacco section / checkout, with a sign saying that now all tobacco products could only be purchased at the Gas Station.  I was wondering if it was a new policy to remove all tobacco products like CVS did back in 2014.  But I found a news article from Grand Rapids from earlier this year, and it is a change only to certain stores and basically just to allow them to have more checkout aisles.
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2018 at 11:10am
Speaking of Meijers, whenever I go there and have selected what I need, I approach the checkout lines with cashiers. I don't select a self check very often but it seems to be the trend with stores like Meijers and Wal-Mart adding more self checkout lanes.

What I have noticed in the checkout lines is that the folks buying groceries use the same lines as those purchasing general merchandise. This slows the checkout process down quite a bit IMO. Just wondering if Meijers has considered designating certain lanes for groceries and certain lanes for all other purchases.

Wonder if the management at Meijers has noticed this as well.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2018 at 12:40pm
Not really workable, vet---and only complicates the check-out process.
Meijer is my choice when here--I would try Knedlers more often if I was here more time--meat dept is very good. Not impressed with Meijer meat. Produce ok both places--nbd. Can't understand why no store can operate a quality deli.

Meijer is blowing smoke about needing more check lanes imo. Tobacco products are a serious pain now---very high $$ inventory paired with very low gross margin, then you have the tobacco company reps laying difficult conditions to stay competitive. Theft is big(often internal) since middietown people can't afford their habit. Smart move to dump them from the large store, avoiding duplication of inventory and pricing conditions. Then you have the sting operations trying to bust them for the $$ and publicity.

jmo
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2018 at 2:17pm
Needlers is better for meat most of the time in both quality and price, but overall their prices on the rest of their items trend a bit higher.  Since I live pretty close, for me the convenience of being able to run out or stop on the way home from work is worth the few extra cents here and there if I only need one or two things.  But sometimes the pricing differences are significant enough that I'll drive halfway across town to Meijer if I need more than a small handful of items.

I will fully admit to being a fan of Needlers having freshly popped popcorn available though.
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic