Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spiderjohn: Appreciate Duncan Oil Deal Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spiderjohn: Appreciate Duncan Oil Deal Comments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spiderjohn: Appreciate Duncan Oil Deal Comments
    Posted: May 06 2018 at 2:28pm
Spiderjohn -

Thanks again for providing more clarification about the Duncan Oil and multiple other failed "FORMER DOWNTOWN" real estate deals of the Gilleland/Adkins era.  So much city staff time and money spent.  So little accomplished.

It's tempting to submit a chronology of the City of Middletown's many failures to the International City Manager's Association (ICMA) on "HOW NOT TO SUCCEED IN REVITALIZING DOWNTOWN AREAS AND OLDER NEIGHBORHOODS".  Maybe the same should be sent to Forbes Magazine as a follow-up to their original inclusion of Middletown as one of  "America's Fastest Dying Cities"?

At least Judy Gilleland was truthful in telling me in February 2008 hat she had little past experience with housing and community development matters.  As for Doug Adkins, he would bring a "I KNOW WHAT"S BEST PROSECUTING ATTORNEY'S APPROACH" in devastating Ward 2 and perpetuating the former downtown's malaise despite the infusion of millions in city funds and staff time.

The question remains, is Middletown appreciably better following nine plus years of the Gilleland/Adkins regime?  In Doug Adkins case, he is known for famously stating at a city council meeting "GIVE ME THE POWER AND I'LL MAKE THINGS HAPPEN"!  Sadly, was he ever so wrong!

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 10:27pm
Old news, analytical—the Duncan thing was all hype imo. Duncan Oil was in the business of selling gasoline—not operating retail business. The land deals involved + the negotiating property owners were all drama over-valuations. Duncan didn’t do well on the deal either. Dud properties for big $$
Don’t see how they would fit it in on the 1st/Central point, since ingress/egress approximate to active railroad seemed dicey even back at the time
Train stop honestly didn’t make sense either imo. Middietown people aren’t leaving town-outsiders had no real reason to make the trip lol
As much as I have ragged on the downtown black hole, it seems to be the only area showing any social life upside. Sorg could use your support at least by attending the events. Either people show up or Places disappear. As places disappear., consumers relocate.
Where is the next most likely area that could raise the bar for local quality?
It would help if everyone would simply pitch in to make it all better—we all know the issues—now we act on improving
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 7:58am
Spiderjohn -

As you've often stated over the past couple of years, it would be nice to put the past to bed.  Unfortunately,
when new issues like the convoluted Strand/Studio Theater demolition continually pop-up, much can be
learned about past mistakes.  Your commentary on the Duncan Oil deal provides more background than any
of us were aware.  Thank you for that.

In addition to the Strand/Studio fiasco, two other present day questions pertain to the status of the Goetz
Tower and former Senior Citizens Center "downtown" deals. What is your take on what delays construction?

As VietVet occasionally reminds us, the mistakes of the past sadly seem to continue to the present in the
city.  With Judy Gilleland retiring several years back, Doug Adkins is in a position of even greater power.  His
philosophical imprint is ever-present when it comes to City of Middletown priorities, policies, programs and
projects pertaining to debilitating housing and community development deficiencies!.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 8:51am
Still we need to suck it up and move on. Constantly beating up everyone over the past gets depressing after it has been repeated to the nth degree. The theater issue looks like deja vu all over again though. I'm sure the best is yet to come--could be a messy problematic demo--leading to??

Maybe this site could be rejuvenated by accenting the positives and possible solutions?
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 9:08am
Forget the past has moved from forgetting the Middletown of the 50's and 60's to forgetting what happened last week.  When moving forward requires blinders, rose colored glasses and a clothes pin for your nose it does not bode well.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 10:18am
Spiderjohn -

Maybe concerned city taxpayers need to read and re-read Eddie Richter's occasional "feel good" community development newspaper articles more often?

Matt R -

I continue to wish you well in your personal pursuit of fairness and good government.  Your recent observations about some questionable city actions over the past 18 months are appreciated.
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 12:23pm
And I do try to stay positive; I found an appropriate use for Middletown water, I installed a bidet.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 2:56pm
Matt and Nelson—I appreciate the info that both of you provide, and understand your demeanor towards admin if you feel wrongfully treated/removed from employment.

However—I don’t live in the 50s and 60s though I grew up here then. I have worked in and owned businesses in every part of town. I pretty much know every street and a lot of families. I have learned a lot from the past—the city’s past and my past. I take it from my experiences and try to focus on what might work going forward, because I don’t see how you can think progressively any other way. I still live here. I still care and like to be involved with people and organizations that I see as making a positive difference. I have never claimed to be any type of role model or influence. Just another local trying to be the best person that I can be going forward.

When dealing with mistakes, bad decisions and bad luck, you simply identify what went wrong then do whatever necessary to correct the situation. The blame game needs to be very brief if at all. No one is more bothered by failure than those responsible. Just work together to change things for the better ASAP. I don’t see any other way...
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 3:11pm
Fair enough Spiderjohn.  I'll attempt to muster ample patience in stepping back from commenting about city housing and community development actions good or bad.  It'll be a formidable task for me as I spent most of my working life, except for eight years as a home builder, administering HUD-funded programs in various states.
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 3:54pm
No.  I will fight my fight.  Wear your blinders, it doesn't matter to me.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 10:14am
Blinders? Hardly, and wouldn't expect my thinking to matter to you.
Fight your fight--no matter my way either, though wondering what it is that you can possibly "win" and what would be the cost.

Thank you again for the info provided here--keep it coming!

No disrespect, Nelson--just trying to move forward somehow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic