Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The State of Things To Come -- What's Up Doug?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The State of Things To Come -- What's Up Doug?
    Posted: Jun 13 2018 at 11:49am
Yesterday's telephone call with Vivian Moon revealed the following:

1)  Goetz Tower Mixed-Use Project -- Still no signs of any re-construction since 12/2017 second extension of
      city's completion deadline requirement;
2)  Former Senior Citizen's Center (BMW Motorcycle Shop) Project -- Still no signs of re-construction since
    12/17 city conveyance approval including subsequent re-developer completion stipulations, etc.,; and,  
3)  Strand/Studio Theater Demolition -- Vickers Wrecking has nearly completed all work.  Any guesses as to
     whom the city will later sell this 1300 block of Central Avenue property and for how much?

Other Topics:

1)  Manchester Inn Project -- Nothing new to report from Mr. Grau who purchased this landmark from the city
     for the whopping sum of  $1.00;
2)  Snider Building Project -- Nothing new to report from Mr. Grau who purchased this landmark from the city
     for the whopping sum of  $1.00;
3)  Rose Furniture Building Project -- Nothing new to report on this long-lingering deal that received $300,000
     in city funds a number of years ago; and,
4)  Liberty Spirits LLC (Phase 2) Project -- Still speculating as to potential city sale of Strand/Studio property
     to Mike Robinette for a likely "nominal sum".

The above facts don't lie!  They speak volumes about the utilization of millions in public funds, direct cash contributions, property tax exclusions, hours of city staff time, other consultant services, etc. for these "downtown" deals.  Are Middletown taxpayers receiving a reasonable outcome for public funds spent to date?

It's a foregone conclusion that the City of Middletown's "downtown misadventures" won't ever receive HUD, National League of Cities, International City Manager's Association, American Planning Asssociation, National Association of Housing & Redevelopment Officials and Urban Land Institute "best practices" awards.  And, just think how Middletown compares to nearby Hamilton, etc. in terms of project reinvestment dollars, construction and permanent jobs created, increased property values, etc. over the past decade.

One Donham Abbey senior staff and City Council members best hope that Forbes Magazine doesn't do a follow-up article on Middletown's "downtown" exploits of the past decade.  Almost certainly, that wouldn't turn out to be a pleasurable read.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2018 at 2:51pm
It is sad to know that all of the projects that Analytical has listed for us have had no action nor progress to date. It is even more sad that this city council knows this, but refuses to do the right thing in holding someone in this city government responsible for the stagnation in the progress. Mr. Grau, Mr. Robinette and other benefactors of the city's incredible give-away policies, at the taxpayer's expense, should have been held accountable from day one in showing rehab efforts, rather than just sitting on their properties as they have done. Where is the penalty against the new owners for not acting on the contract that was initiated during the property transfer? Why is this city so forgiving of in-active property owners, particularly in their much cherished downtown area? You people think so much of your dam downtown area but by allowing property owners to renege on their duties to rehab and improve those properties, you are contributing to your downtown area's demise. A bit of irony in that isn't there?

It is so incredible that this is being allowed to happen by city leaders. Where is the accountability in our city government folks? There has been none for decades now. Have had a lot of time to drive around town now. It has been almost nine years since I have had free time to do so. I am amazed at how deserted the city looks and how much the city has died as to activity and traffic flow on the streets. How it has dried up and wasted away compared to the days when there was signs of life here. Sad to see, especially since I have seen it when it was prosperous and people were out in numbers. Are the city leaders intentionally trying to destroy Middletown? If, so, they have had a good start the last three decades.

When I see the old Strand/Studio Theatre and other long standing structures and the soon-to-be old high school being torn down I also see the entire city being dealt a slow death nowadays and these old building demolitions are synonymous with the city's eventual fate if we keep proceeding as we are.

It is time to change the way we operate city government. We are not going in a healthy direction or we would have seen a more active, vibrant city by now. If you drive around the city, you will quickly notice things are not that great. This city sits in quicksand right now and if you don't change direction, it will eventually disappear. You can't keep doing what you are doing and build this city into a positive, respectable community once again. New focuses, new operational policies, decent jobs and a dose of some common sense would go a long way.......but then, we have said this all before now haven't we.

When will you learn to do the right thing for this city? You don't have to copy the hard-headed ways of Donnie Trump and his massive ego. It doesn't have to be the "my way or the highway" type situation. You can admit you are on the wrong path and correct it. Might even get you some praise by changing directions.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
middielover View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2018 at 6:30pm
My sources at city state there is no way Robinette gets the Studio land.  He has been a thorn in Adkins side.

Also heard (but have not verified) he sold the distillery business.
redbengals View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redbengals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2018 at 5:50am
Mike Robinette once skipped out on a bill at AppleBee's with AJ the Gun Totin Council member if I remember correctly 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic