Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, April 17, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown's Formula for Downtown Success??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown's Formula for Downtown Success??
    Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Historic House Guy Historic House Guy wrote:

Stop you're whining and claims of being a victim of times gone bye.Grow a pair or get in the back of the line and let the next generation decide what is cool or not.

Son, what in the hell is wrong with you? No mention of whining in my posts. No "victim of times gone by" whatever that is suppose to mean. Not a victim. Just a person who loves his hometown who is mad as hell at what they have done to it. More with an anger/in your face approach comparing the successful Middletown with what we have now. Grow a pair you say? Got a pair son. Was in a war.....remember? And you? Put up with life's bullsh*t for 70 years now. Can you make the same claim? What's your claim to fame in growing your pair? Let the next generation decide? Hell, the next generation is already doing that and screwing up most of what they touch while not considering what has worked in the past. The next generation contains heroin addicts, people with no goals in life and people who refuse to take responsibility for their actions. And they are the kind of people you want to rely on for your future? And this kinder/gentler/everyone gets a trophy for participation/politically correct crap has got to go. It has ruined society. Some younger people are insolent, spoiled brats who want the credit all for themselves, are rude and who disrespect the older generations all while having their noses stuck to a cell phone screen. Think I want them to run things now? Way too much growing up for them to do before they take the controls. Going new with "new ideas" doesn't necessarily work. What is thought to be new at times is really old ideas reinvented by younger people who thought they came up with the idea to begin with. Hell, that's why Hollywood is pathetically trying to redo old movie classics. They are out of original ideas for entertainment so they pirate redos of the classics they know were a success at the box office. Never works on the redo. The next generation doesn't have a clue what is "cool or not". Hell, they don't have a clue what common sense and learning from the past is all about either. You have to acknowledge the past to know where you want to go in the future. What worked then may not work now but you still have to investigate past history to help navigate future events.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 6:45pm
Keep your comments coming Vet, we need people who aren't afraid to say when the emperor has no clothes. "What is cool or not", smh.
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 6:23pm
Stop you're whining and claims of being a victim of times gone bye.Grow a pair or get in the back of the line and let the next generation decide what is cool or not.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Historic House Guy Historic House Guy wrote:

VietVet personifies the hopeless and destitute kind of thinking that this city could do without. Why do you feel that if it doesn't entertain YOU that it is worthless? Do you really think that your generation will be the economic driver in any economy? I think not... Maybe you should get that drive through movie going again and see how that works out?

Never meant to speak only for myself as to interest in the downtown Historic House Guy. I believe that I offer the thoughts of the majority of Middletown when I offer my comments on downtown and it's attraction for most living here. I have been here long enough to know the complexion of this city. I know the majority living here are low to middle class working people who prefer beer to wine, NASCAR, sports excluding soccer, tennis, golf, etc. sticking with football, baseball and basketball as the primary sports interests. I know that they would prefer using the McD's dollar menu rather than going downtown for a gourmet burger/pickle and chips for 15 bucks. I know they won't buy art and couldn't afford the prices asked as well. Middletown, a blue collar, steel/factory worker/service oriented fast food town with moderate to low income people making up the majority.

Are you serious? Yes, I really believe my generation, the Baby Boomers, have driven, are driving and will continue to drive the economy for many more years to come. We were the largest segment of the nation's society for many decades and now that we are retired, have income to continue to drive the nation's economy. We still are a very influential segment of society as an economic driver. Of course, that will end in the future and it will be the next largest generation to take our place.

And finally......you and your comment

"VietVet personifies the hopeless and destitute kind of thinking that this city could do without"

Not quite yet House Guy. Not ready to give the stage to the new breed outsiders who have taken the city down the sewer the last four decades. Will continue to disagree with what they have done to a once nice city. You, on the other hand, have no clue just how nice this city was at one time. If you did, you would have been just as irate as I have always been since the leaders from the 70's to current ruined it. If the younger people would have lived here back then, you would be agreeing with my thoughts now. You and the other super positive people only know the present condition and think it is making a miraculous turnaround. You don't know you have a long way to go before you come close to the way it was. As a matter of fact, it has been decimated to the point where it may never match the good times again. You can thank the city leaders from the 70's to current for that fact. Dam them and all they have done to this town.

House Guy....
"Maybe you should get that drive through movie going again and see how that works out?"

C'mon House Guy. You and I both know modern technology has taken over and has wiped out the drive-ins and most of the movie theaters.(although the old Middletown Danberry is under new ownership and is re-inventing itself now) Not a good comparison in making your point.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 3:13pm
Love your attitude itsamee! Positive people are hard to find on this forum. Clap
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 3:07pm
VietVet personifies the hopeless and destitute kind of thinking that this city could do without. Why do you feel that if it doesn't entertain YOU that it is worthless? Do you really think that your generation will be the economic driver in any economy? I think not... Maybe you should get that drive through movie going again and see how that works out?
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 2:36pm
My glass is half full because I moved here during the recession. This place was a ghost town. Downtown there was a Cricket Wireless store, the Red Cross (or was it the CDC) and Bucks. That was it. We had no reason to go down there unless we were passing through. Since then there have been a ton of things going on. Broad Street Bash, the parades (I know, those are pretty weak, but I am sure the crowdes spend money), the above mentioned shops and places to eat. A lot of buildings have had work done to make them look better. There are reasons to go there that were not there 12 years ago.  
As for the bike trail, I think the best thing that happened is it was handed over to the Butler County Parks. They have put signs up, maintained it well, and added the River Center (if it is like their other parks, there should be great activities for the kids there in the spring and summer).  
So yea, I am brimming with a bit more optimism, but that is because I moved into a city that looked like WW2 had just wrapped up. Now it is a passable downtown that could still use some polish, but hey, at least it is something.  
Itsa me, mario!
redbengals View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbengals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 1:44pm
Hey do not forget the exciting things that Adkins is trying to waste money on at the airport 
Please excuse any grammar or spelling errors because I have better things to do and quite frankly do not care
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by itsamee itsamee wrote:

THree things? OK. AK Steel and their new research building, Kettering Health Center, the new River Center down by the bike path (oh, wait, I forgot, since you don't use any of these things they are worthless to you).  Smith Park, year after year doing Light Up Middletown, the new High School / Middle School campus, Blast Furnace Pizza is good food, Rolling Mill and Fig Leaf Breweries, White Dog Saloon, The Windemere.  
I mean, if you open your eyes and quit trying to join the sadness around here, you will see a lot of positives.  

itsamee, thought the subject was the downtown, not the East End. Kettering, AK Research, the new high school campus are not in the discussion. Yes, Blast Furnace Pizza was decent. Don't know about the breweries. Have not visited the River Center as yet. I will make a prediction though. Here goes....within five years, it will become a drug user, crime haven for those around the bike path corridor.It will be a hot spot for police and EMT calls for crime and drug overdoses. The crime and drug use will not be published for all to see as that would contribute yet more negative activity close to the S. Main St. residents. It will be hushed. Don't know about the Windemere as well. Not interested in what it has to offer. Smith Park is a nice city fixture, especially at this time of year. Nice display and a great effort by the Grandpa Gang every year. Been there a few times myself. I will give credit where credit is due and earned. Some businesses/owners in the downtown area have yet to earn any cudos so far. The empty storefronts which have been around for decades don't help the downtown cause as well. A measurable turnover in failed businesses over time tells all of us something about downtown opportunities as well. Downtown choices and interest points are limited at best. The Bash is as good as it gets as to crowd size and downtown offering interest. Not so sure whether the DORA provides enough of a boost to gain recognition either. I see some positives on occasion but wouldn't use the term "alot of positives" as you have done. The city takes some baby steps forward and some giant leaps backward at times in the planning. We all know the situation here. Some of us have a hard time admitting it. Difference in being an optimist and pessimist I guess. You and folks like middiemom are "glass is half full" people. I have seen enough city destruction to have a "glass is half empty" kind of opinion. Who's to say who is correct? Time and success (or failure) will teach us all. We are far from being the kind of city we should be after all the attempts that have been made over the decades. I still say the focus should be on the ENTIRE city, not just the downtown. If the downtown was near perfect as to operation, choices, citizen majority interest and importance, the rest of the city would still look like a reclamation project lacking in focus and development. It will be interesting to see where the city turns it's focus once the downtown has been satisfactorily completed. (if it ever gets there that is). Will they concentrate on the older neighborhoods or will they find some friends of the city/pet project that encompasses and benefits a small percentage of city residents like they seem to constantly do? Will stay tuned for the new focus.
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 10:55am
Very well said itsame!!! Clap
Middletown... Bright past BRIGHTER FUTURE!!!
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 9:35am
THree things? OK. AK Steel and their new research building, Kettering Health Center, the new River Center down by the bike path (oh, wait, I forgot, since you don't use any of these things they are worthless to you).  Smith Park, year after year doing Light Up Middletown, the new High School / Middle School campus, Blast Furnace Pizza is good food, Rolling Mill and Fig Leaf Breweries, White Dog Saloon, The Windemere.  
I mean, if you open your eyes and quit trying to join the sadness around here, you will see a lot of positives.  

Itsa me, mario!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 4:19am
Originally posted by middiemom middiemom wrote:

Vet, I only wanted to suggest to anyone interested that there are many good things going on in town. Sorry if I’m proud of the city I grew up in and returned to. You don’t have to focus on the downtown experience if you don’t want to. You keep talking about the 50’s there is still the Jug (which I and my family love), Steak and shake , BW3’s and Sonic if you like that drive in feel of the ‘50’s. I don’t care what you do with your money as long as it is kept local. I happen to enjoy a different experience. Why is there such division? We are all Middletonians. You really ought to come down to first Friday and give it a chance if you haven’t. Great shops and restaurants.

Have been downtown. Son and I have been to Blast Furnace Pizza and then to the old time collectable store across the street from the pizza place. Son goes to Crabapple Books and adds to his book collection occasionally. Both of us were not overly impressed by the downtown activity on our Saturday afternoon visit. A lack of foot traffic was noticed by us and the downtown area seemed dead for a Saturday. Traffic on Central was decent and noticed as well. Most not stopping to park around the Broad St/Central Ave. "heart" of downtown though. Stores need more foot traffic to be more impressive. Still not happening as far as we could tell. Even an icon like the Jug has changed. To me, the taste of the food is not like it use to be and the prices are a tad bit high IMO. We go to the Jug occasionally but it is not on a routine basis. The Sonic theme for a drive-in is far from the old Jerry Brown's Frisch located where the now, out of business Mom's Restaurant was on S. Main St and Engle's Corner.THAT was a true drive-in falsely mimicked by Sonic. Don't think 50's when I go to Steak and Shake. Not really into paying 5 bucks for a cup of coffee at a downtown coffee house nor paying 15 bucks for a gourmet hamburger with a pickle and chips at one of the restaurants either. Can't justify the cost for what is served. As it stands now, the downtown store selection just doesn't interest me and doesn't offer anything I would want. Nice for the culture minded, artzy, specialty beer and coffee crowd I guess.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 10:10am
Well, I too apologize for some things I said about your choice to close the business. I get it, the city has become a little rough around the edges. Honestly, it was more of a reaction to all the negative vibes this forum gives off to anyone who dares try and make an improvement.

I honestly think everyone should consider the fact that it's not just Middletown, it's a complete change in culture around the whole country. To much "trophy for everyone", not enough accountability for anyone, and this entitlement we seem to give to people who never earned it while at the same time taking it from those who did. When we get back to rewarding those who try and make a difference instead of punishing them we might just turn this country around. When we stop giving a free lunch to those who never try we might just see people work for the things they need and want. We are in a culture crisis.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 9:49am
house guy!
I absolutely apologize for offending you--a bad response to some negative things from you concerning my former business and at a sensitive time for me. No excuse ever for being rude.

You tried--you participated--you did good work

Interesting how things play out--all the best to your family and you

And I am back invested with another business in the community!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Over 10 years of discussion here
Didn’t make a difference—at least not much

You're wrong about that, Steve. When I first came to Middletown I was full of hope to see things get better. I even put my money where my mouth was and inserted my business into a downtown store front and volunteered for several downtown projects. While my business did just fine without any local support or customers it was negative post by you and others that convinced me the town was hopeless. Even posts by others bringing in new idea's and possible businesses were mocked. Not surprisingly, these entrepreneurs never moved forward with their idea's (or at least not in Middletown).

I'm 100% positive that yours (and others) discussions here DID make a difference. I want to thank you personally for that. I am much happier living where I'm at now. I am still in business, get to walk out my back door to go hunting and fishing on my own land, have a huge garden and raise my own livestock for meat. You know what the best part is? Not one single person in my community has one discouraging thing to say about the way I choose to use my investment of time and property. Not one single person tells me how hopeless my efforts are or how I can never improve the quality of life for myself and others around me. I really think you underestimate yourself when you say you never made a difference.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 8:38am
had a nice introduction to Swire Inn last evening
nice place friendly people good fish & chips
and on their own dime
I enjoy a few places down there, and credit for organizing
if other area businesses unite for their centers/neighborhoods constructively/collectively hopefully they receive similar admin support

we all have the "right" to opinion!
we all learn from others' opinion
we all need to understand and in some way support one another

the quiet giant is emerging on Sloebig Rd--ready to loom largely this spring!
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2018 at 10:20pm
For me - it's simple - it's my money and it's being wasted.  Why don't I as a citizen have the right to that opinion?
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2018 at 10:08pm
Vet, I only wanted to suggest to anyone interested that there are many good things going on in town. Sorry if I’m proud of the city I grew up in and returned to. You don’t have to focus on the downtown experience if you don’t want to. You keep talking about the 50’s there is still the Jug (which I and my family love), Steak and shake , BW3’s and Sonic if you like that drive in feel of the ‘50’s. I don’t care what you do with your money as long as it is kept local. I happen to enjoy a different experience. Why is there such division? We are all Middletonians. You really ought to come down to first Friday and give it a chance if you haven’t. Great shops and restaurants.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2018 at 7:18pm

Middielover, why are you infatuated with who I am? Why can’t we just celebrate our community and support local businesses and events together? Bickering on a dead web site does no one any good. Instead, I propose that you come to the next first Friday and enjoy our town. Have a drink at the wine bar and then enjoy a nice dinner while leaving plenty of time to shop at our many shops afterward. We need to let go of our petty differences and celebrate our community!

middiemom, if I may reply here.....

"Why can't we just celebrate our community......"

Some of us residents who have been around here since the 50's may not feel like celebrating and don't share your enthusiasm toward the direction and focus of the city plans. We disagree with the overboard focus on the downtown area and feel that ALL areas need attention but have been forgotten by city leaders. It is not wrong to disagree with the downtown vision and people shouldn't be lambasted for showing opposition. It is within our rights to object to what excites the downtown supporters. Some of us do not see the value of downtown development given the other, more important issues facing this city.

"shopping at our many shops afterward"....
Believe it or not, some of us working class people don't like what is offered downtown. You are assuming that most in town, such as yourself, like what downtown people like. Arts, crafts and culture in the form of wine tasting and gourmet sandwiches at overblown prices is not what most like here. Just as we have been accused of not having an open mind during this "downtown renaissance" the people who have worked on downtown development also exhibit a closed mind by insisting that we either enjoy the downtown offerings or be labeled as "malcontents" by those who only see downtown's theme.

Let's face it. The downtown development was orchestrated by a small group of people who convinced city leaders that this is what the city needed for revitalization. In actuality, the downtown resurgence has been but a very small part in helping this city out of it's misery. Not a major impact maker to be truthful. This downtown effort is more of a hobby for the culture crowd. Jobs, meaningful employment, decent roads, decent performing schools, money flow, seeking out what people really want for their city, entertainment, tailored to the city demographics and shopping choices are all much more important IMO. Coffee shops, wine tasting events, crafts, arts and attempts at culture are not going to make any difference toward city progression. Just simply not what we need at this time. All the downtown things happening now comes AFTER the basic needs are in place. JMO

Finally, to some, "celebrating our community" doesn't include "coming downtown and sampling the offerings" as you suggest. Because it is your cup of tea doesn't mean that most feel the same way. Appeasing your idea of a good time is probably not in the cards for most living here. The downtown dreamers have had their time in the sun and have garnered what we see today after millions spent and decades of attempts. Now, it should be time for the majority to see the city leaders appease their wants and wishes for the city. That's probably a fair thing to do, right? Why is the situation totally skewed to one side on this? ....Any thoughts on this?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2018 at 2:00pm
Why no mention or interest in promoting the other areas of the city?
So many neighborhoods and small local businesses that never get a mention or admin support.
What about other distressed centers in the community?
If they received as much attention and financial support hopefully they could rival the former downtown also.

Looking forward to the opening of the new darts themed bar next to Combs bbq—owners have done it right sparing no expense. Possibly too nice for this area, and should quickly become the drinking/gaming/social center of the community.
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2018 at 9:03am
Middielover, why are you infatuated with who I am? Why can’t we just celebrate our community and support local businesses and events together? Bickering on a dead web site does no one any good. Instead, I propose that you come to the next first Friday and enjoy our town. Have a drink at the wine bar and then enjoy a nice dinner while leaving plenty of time to shop at our many shops afterward. We need to let go of our petty differences and celebrate our community!
middielover View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2018 at 7:28am
middiemom = Ami Vitori
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2018 at 10:11am
If you are an elected official and you have tax liens against you - shouldn't you be on the hook to explain?

"THEY" aren't trying to do destroy anyone - one person is - but "THEY" aren't.  I guess you aren't for accountability in your elected officials?

Gimme a break.

Additionally - give me three things to be positive about in Middletown that don't concern DORA, the miserably failing balloon thing or shattered memories of downtown.

I'm waiting - and I'll be here all week.

You can't - and that's the problem - our leaders have only one focus - the rest of the city be damned.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2018 at 8:58am
Red Bengal, I am always positive about this city. It’s the likes of you and other bitter people who are stuck in the past that offer up the negativity. Look in the mirror. Sheesh! On another thread they are trying to destroy a businesswoman who is trying to make a difference in her community. Somehow I think Nelson is still out here. 🤔
redbengals View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbengals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2018 at 1:29am

Spider, so so funny. I just want the negativity to end. Point taken though!Thumbs Up

says one of the MOST negative people on here. 

Please excuse any grammar or spelling errors because I have better things to do and quite frankly do not care
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic