FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Atrium/Kettering Hospital Debate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atrium/Kettering Hospital Debate
    Posted: Nov 16 2018 at 2:16pm
Journal news story today highlighting the debate over whether to approve the new Kettering Hospital the right to have hospital beds at their facility. There are opinions from those who participated in the event and reasons why Atrium thinks Middletown officials should deny Ketterings request.

In the sixth paragraph of the story, Atrium makes it clear they are not afraid of Kettering competition but the article offers one sided evidence as to why Kettering shouldn't be allowed to develop additional capability to serve the people of this area. Several people spoke in opposition to Kettering even though Kettering has created many new jobs paying livable wages which this city sorely lacks.Those jobs create payroll tax revenue for the city which the city sorely lacks. Kettering should be welcomed for those reasons alone.

I find it interesting to read what people like DeBiasi, Bidwell, Uhl and Pearce have to say about wanting to halt economic growth, additional jobs, more competition between businesses and want to deny potential patient care by their opposition to the bed additions at Kettering. Uhl, Bidwell and Pearce are, or were, connected to Atrium at one time so their position is understandable. They can't be objective in their thinking due to their connections.

The city planning committee and city council approved Kettering building in their location. Now, after the fact, they are in a tough situation as they are trying to please Atrium, a major city employer while approving the Kettering request for hospital beds.

What is wrong with the American practice of free enterprise encompassing competition. We have it in the food industry. We have it in the restaurant business. We have it in all aspects of our economy but only in Middletown, are we fighting this battle among competitors. Let both businesses grow and see where each takes Middletown. The planning committee AND the council should be totally in favor of helping ALL businesses grow as it helps the city prosper. Why pick and choose? What happened to "Middletown is business friendly"? Practice what you preach city leaders.

If the complaint from potential patients is that Atrium will not take Affordable Care insurance and Atrium is deficient in other areas of care for the people of this city, let Atrium adapt and adjust their services to mirror the needs of the patients they serve. If they truly believe what they say about not fearing Kettering competition, let them show it. This article suggests that Atrium doesn't welcome competition and wants to be the only game in town. That doesn't serve the people well as it creates a monopoly on health care. If Atrium adapts services not seen at Kettering, they have nothing to fear from the Kettering competition. If Atrium develops a reputation of providing superior care to Kettering, they have nothing to fear. Competition develops ideas and better service which, in turn, benefits the patient. It forces both businesses to improve or be second best. Nothing wrong with that.

Look, no one likes Atrium more than I do. Never had any issues with them during my wife's treatments. My wife practically lived there toward the end and she received excellent care in every facet of her medical issues before she passed. I wouldn't hesitate a moment in going there myself for my medical issues. I like Atrium. But......Atrium's desire to attempt to force Kettering to alter their business plan is not in their realm of authority. They are a separate entity and as such, should allow Kettering to run their agenda as they see fit to do to grow their business just as Atrium has a right to grow their's without Kettering objecting. Both Atrium and Kettering need to put out a good product and the consumer will make the choice concerning who they wish to patronize.

Yes, the city has had an allegiance to Atrium for decades of service to the community. No, city leaders should not be held hostage because of that allegiance with the end result being to deny future growth for the city with good jobs/city revenue as a result. There is a point where allegiance begins and ends and that point is determined by whether the deed hurts the city in growth. Same goes for AK Steel. It too, is a one horse race (always has been) and the city depended on Armco to invest in Middletown for decades. AK is a shadow of Armco as to investing in Middletown now. They told us that when they moved the General Offices to West Chester for a more professional appearance. So much for allegiance. Do not allow allegiance to be the sole determining factor in your decision.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2018 at 5:32pm
I hope everyone caught the veiled threat in the article from the Premier / Atrium folks, saying that if the Kettering zoning request was approved it would "force" Premier Health officials to reconsider the course of future economic development within the city of Middletown?
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2018 at 3:27pm
Interesting situation
Atrium set themselves up for this by denying so many common/popular health care programs imo
Council's discussion and subsequent vote should be very interesting
Will be very disappointing if they do it privately and only vote during the meeting
Wish that we could watch!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2018 at 9:43am
Kettering is a terrific network, Atrium is solely afraid of its impact upon EBITDA and % of bed utilization. Seriously, get the picture here. Kettering has physicians that hold privileges to practice at their facilities as well as the Atrium. Most nurses and others I have spoken generally find the Atrium to be mediocre. That is not the basis for going to one facility or another, but the Kettering facility is closer off the interstate and the fear of the Atrium is ER loss. Pearce is a shill. Wife worked at Atrium. Tragic display of self interest and politics in a world of digital transformation and quality of life greatly being extended. I ask....is council dismayed or asking questions there are too many drug rehab centers opening in Middletown? Why then, a debate on too many health providers, other than petty nepotism and one sided self interest that is the basis of ruining Middletown.    
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic