FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goodbye, Mr. Adkins?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye, Mr. Adkins?
    Posted: Oct 04 2019 at 10:07pm
Interesting article by the Urinal here:

I know he's an arrogant sucker and that's first-had knowledge - but the best part is the line that he admits he was disparaging his staff loudly in front of an entire coffee shop full of people.  Narcissist much?  Sorry - I know that last sentence is grammatically incorrect, but don't know a better way to say it.... 
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2019 at 9:27am
I am disappointed with the way chief M checked out with a slap at admin. He is a strong leader and role model citizen—that was no way to exit imo.
I also appreciate Doug and a lot of what he has done and tried to do—we have our differences and have for years, however he has stayed with us when he could have done better. He even moved his family here( unlike many in the building) and it has cost him big time personally and professionally.

imo Council is a bunch of do nothing but act important crybabies, particularly those in the downtown areas. The crux behind a lot of this meeting was a few unfortunate comments made about a couple of downtown entities during the rant. Truth is hard to swallow when so vain—without Doug, the downtown prima donnas would be in far worse shape.

The last thing that we need on council is more downtown faces imo, because none of them think or care about the rest of the city beyond their envisioned Camelot.

End of rant—please fire me also
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2019 at 10:21am
Oops— boot over yet!
IMO these entities upset by Mr.A’s unfortunate and poorly located rant are victims of their self-important view of their businesses, opinions and themselves. Granted, this has all been fueled by years of over-emphasis and coverage from media, particularly the local newspaper. Can we count the endless promoting pieces on Pendleton, beau verre, canal house, Gracies, indigo pass and triple moon?

Is it because they are incredibly successful? Hardly—without long-running support from the same Admin that they now want to admonish, many of them would be long gone. Now they want to dominate council and the rest of the city.

If this had occurred in any other part of town or business, do you honestly think there would be this kind of scrutiny and attention?

Keep this in mind as this plays out and on council Election Day.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2019 at 2:35pm
Surprise here.....Gonna defend the city manager here. Sorry to hear that the Triple Moon Coffee shop owner was "offended" to hear some off center talk. It happens sometimes with the best of people. It is reality that this happens. No shock should be noted. No harsh judgement should be made. People get angry. ALL people get angry and when you are blindsided due to a lack of information, and you are the person responsible for fixing the problem and were not given a chance to do so, it would infuriate anyone. Adkins was within his rights to be upset. Perhaps not in public and not around the customers but upset nonetheless. He stated he was upset with his staff for not informing him, not the business owners.

IMO, the Triple Moon owner needs to know that the world isn't all roses and candies all the time and needs to lighten up on the "he hurt my ears with his rhetoric" bullcrap. Get a life business owner. Public talk isn't all "wonderful" and soft on the ears. Wanna hear worse. Work in a factory sometime pumpkin and get ready for some radical ear candy.

Seems to me that Vitori and company are getting a little too big for the britches lecturing city council and city leaders about how it is going to be in their dam downtown area. Put them in their place on this one council and city managers. Especially knowing the city manager wasn't told about the homeless issues until now. Give the man a chance to correct it before you blow a gasket. Too early to show your angry ego downtown business owners. Especially given what the city and the taxpayers have done for you down in your little world. If you choose to give the city who has helped you survive some crap, perhaps the help needs to be pulled and the taxpayer money should be used for purposes that would benefit ALL, rather than a few spoiled, egotistical, holier than thou downtown business owners. Son and I were going to give Vitori's place a try next time we were downtown. Nope. We're done with that idea. Spider is correct. The downtown has been over promoted by the Journal and the city leaders. Couple that with way too much money wasted down there that could have been used for far more resident's benefit.   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 10:16am
So, now, in the Journal, we have a story where council met in executive session to suspend the city manager for one day and to ask for him to apologize at the next council meeting on October 15th. Adkins was attending a conference in Columbus. It seems as if things happen to Adkins lately when he isn't around to know about it.

It appears we have a council member and her cronies who think they are in control of what happens in the downtown area and can direct the decision making capabilities of council. It also appears they are getting too big for the britches with the attitude IMO. Downtown owners don't run the business of the city. The city manager and his organization does. With council taking the business owner's side, it appears council is going "wok" like so many in this country nowadays. The downtown owner is playing the victim here to insist it be their way.

Just listen to the ridiculous stories we hear from different cities primarily controlled by out of control, wok Democrats. The "squad" is a perfect example. All bark-no bite. There are so many people listening to and believing the nonsense spewed by the people who fabricate fairy tale ideas that don't have a prayer's chance in hell of working and to direct people's mindsets to their advantage. It is my hope that this is not the beginning of this city adopting the wok craziness of some of the lunatic morons who run some California cities. Totally out of touch with reality. Council is actually making a city manager apologize to a downtown business owner "victim" because her "feelings were hurt" and she didn't want to be talked to in an "angry" manner? Suck it up lady. Life is, at times, not the way YOU want it. We all have had things said to us that have offended us. Get mad, then forget it and move on without making a big deal out of it. You do not deserve a public apology for this. It wasn't directed at you. You were just in the line of fire when Adkins vented his frustration at not being informed but still incurring the responsibility for the issue. It was not meant to be a personal attack on you. This is another case of the "victim" conveniently calling up her emotions to selectively adjust the outcome to her advantage. It is done everyday to gain favorable outcomes.

Council.....do your own thinking without some downtown business owner influencing you using her emotions. The downtown area has WAY too much influence in this city as it is. If only they could offer as much value to this town as they do attention garnered.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 10:47am
Vet,

I hate to disagree with you, but I think the situation with Adkins runs far deeper than just this incident.

Normally, I'd jump on the same bandwagon - but if you've ever dealt with that man personally you've likely run into the Adverse Adkins a time or two.

You see Adverse Adkins:

Doesn't care what anyone thinks about anything - it's his way or the highway.
Doesn't care what council thinks about anything - in fact he's told me so in front of a council member
Doesn't care what is actually GOOD for the city - He's only down with what advances his career and visibility
Doesn't care what the citizens of our city think - He's made it clear that council can fire him anytime they want
Doesn't care if council fires him - His stint thus far and the accolades he's made up about his time as manager he thinks will make him the hired candidate in any city or state in the nation.

He used Middletown.  He's been using it for years - it's time, I believe, that he goes and moves on to greener pastures.  This pasture is well worn, tired and brown from abuse.  It's time for council to put and end to his tyrannical reign.

Once upon a time I got fired from a job...simply because of a backside comment that didn't hurt anyone.  As an integral part of that organization whose shoes were impossible to fill - my boss looked at me and said, "Sorry Bob, sometimes someones usefulness is overshadowed by their mouths."  Taught me a very valuable lesson - a lesson that Mr. Adkins definitely needs to learn.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 8:16pm
He is a full time city manager working for a part time council.
He works at their pleasure
Every issue that comes to a vote is usually a 5-0 vote
He runs the city, was groomed for the position and has held the position for ?? Years
The town is fiscally better off partially because of him
The downtowners owe him big time—he has favored and protected them.
He bought in to middletownat a huge personal expense
Not a slap at downtown business people—they also have worked hard at their businesses
Simply a family spat between everyone—all somewhat used to getting their way

The whole melodrama is honestly a nothing burger imo

Positive result being the homeless issue might be addressed—though it is larger than Middietown
What will we do with them?
Moving them to a nice new 12 mill complex a mile away will probably attract more of them
Where will they go in the day hours?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2019 at 9:22am
Now we find out that council is on the way to terminating Adkins. Seems to me that two downtown business owners are not only a part of council now, but may attempt to influence the decision making abilities of others on council who are not a part of the downtown circle. With Monica Nenni elected, we now have two downtown business owners on council and would have had three downtown supporters if Joe Wittman were elected. Might be seeing the early signs of a trend here where the goal of the downtown supporters is to place their own in key positions in the city to ultimately control the direction of the city and to ensure complete focus on their dam downtown. If the MMF influence wasn't bad enough, we may have another problem with the downtown special interest agendas. This is a potentially dangerous situation IMO for the rest of us who don't have the fervor of downtown tunnel vision development. All resources could be on the downtown. The outlying areas of this city have the dubious possibility of being forgotten about completely. If this speculation is deemed serious for the majority living here, I would think now is the time to watch closely who is attempting to join council and be placed in key positions as to directing focus on our future. Pay close attention to the hiring of a new city manager and what credentials the council places on their qualifications. If council criteria seems to favor the downtown effort, we have a problem cooking on council. Could it be that the downtown owners are using council positions to further their agenda? (Conflict of interest perhaps?) With Vitori and Nenni now on board, and with downtown supporter Wittman's attempt at council, it would certainly point to a trend wouldn't it? JMO
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2019 at 3:26am
Agreed.  Levi Cramer would've been a much better choice for Middletown!
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 11:03am
Now that the city is poised to hire a new city manager, and it looks as if Mr. Adkins has had his decision made to move on, should we expect to see the new city manager, either chosen inside city limits or from outside, have as the top agenda, the downtown area as the only focus for development? Will it be a local who is a major supporter of downtown? How about approaching Mr. Muterspaw, even though he has indicated he wants to move on? He seems to have the demeanor for likability in the community. He seems to be goal oriented and has a track record for getting the job done as police chief. Could he be persuaded? Dunno.

I would not be surprised to see a local hired that would be a major supporter of downtown development. The current crop of business owner/council members have to have one of their own down there to bring it full circle. Perhaps a good friend of Vitori/Nenni or other business owners in the inner circle. Gotta control the direction of the city and their precious downtown from within of course. Council's entire focus has and will be on this area of town.....while the other 90% of this city are ignored. If they hire one of their own, they will have total influence from council to the city manager as to getting their way. They must have had reservations about Adkins acting on their behalf at 100% and saw an opportunity to move him out of the way. This may be one of these backroom, inner circle, keep it from the public political stunts this city is known for. We shall see.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2019 at 3:43pm
Hardly agreed with Adkins and some of his focus and decisions but I have a feeling, but no proof, he was railroaded out of town by the downtown hierarchy and their friends. With two downtown business owners on council now, and with the "power block" that seems to be in existence downtown, it would appear that the city government influence will now come from the downtown supporters. It is amazing how that all transpired. A few decades ago, the downtown was nothing better than an afterthought and nothing but a deserted, run down area that time had forgotten. Since those times, and starting with Beau Verre, it has garnered interest from the people who wanted to start a business but still hasn't really caught on with the vast majority of this city. With it's current offerings, I don't see that changing. Still many empty holes in the form of vacant lots down there and still lacking as a continual draw for ongoing customers.

Back on subject......Adkins.

Still, while disagreeing with Adkins on many issues, to be fair, I think it was a class act for him to show up at a council meeting, as he was about to be fired, and thank the city for the opportunity. Regardless of my disagreements, I see the man being treated somewhat unfairly here and I hope he lands elsewhere in a job to his liking. Best of luck Mr. Adkins. I'm not convinced you were dealt a fair hand here. Perhaps the old back door/back slappers group in this city has acted once again behind the scenes.

On a related note.....goodbye Mr. Mulligan. Can't say it was a pleasure in my opinion. I'm sure you will sneak back on some decision-making committee down the road.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 9:25am
Looks to me like instead of the city being controlled by the MMF and other influential people in town, it is now being controlled by the downtown coalition who are slowly manning city council with their people to control the decision making as to economic development and where it is focused. It would appear that anything close to their downtown area is the target for their attention and to hell with the rest of the city. Nenni and Vitori are only the start to their controlling agenda. In future elections, they will probably try to stack council with more of their own and the whole town will be controlled by the downtown interests.

We need those candidates who are not connected to downtown interests to run again and be supported by enough non-downtown interest people to overcome the small voting block who successfully got Nenni and Vitori elected. Otherwise, we will continue to have the same problem we have always had here with a small, select, special interest group of residents controlling every decision for all residents. Trying to keep a majority of residents from participating in decisions for their city has always been a primary target for those who believe they are in charge. It has worked and they have succeeded so far. Need to change that at the voting booth in future elections. Time to purge the good old boy agenda by supporting candidates who are not in their club.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 2:02pm
Ditto.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2020 at 6:31pm
Good luck
Don’t see anything changing
The 5/3 1st floor deal is the worst
The verity rd yellow stripes make no sense
The school properties purchase is a mistake
Oneida?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic