FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hmmmm who is the Racist, you decide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hmmmm who is the Racist, you decide
    Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 7:13am
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 7:16am

Gates, an intellectual drawn back into the arena

July 24, 2009 - 4:27pm
FILE - This 1997 file photo released by Harvard University shows professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., on the Harvard University campus in Cambridge, Mass. (AP Photo/Jane Reed, File)
By HILLEL ITALIE
AP National Writer

(AP) - Decades ago _ long before Harvard, long before his books and documentaries _ Henry Louis Gates Jr. and some friends nearly set off a brawl trying to integrate a West Virginia club.

Gates and the others were circled by a white mob. The owner screamed at the black students to leave, slamming one of them against the wall. The club was shut down, but Gates had been marked: West Virginia police, he would write in his memoir, placed him on a list of those who might be detained should race riots break out during election time.

"Someone in authority had decided I was dangerous?" he wrote. "I mean, I liked to think so."

Gates rarely has been considered a dangerous man. Gregarious, outgoing, media savvy _ yes. But in the years after the incident in Keyser, W.Va., his unrelenting focus on black life in America was intellectual. He has written essays, compiled reference works, searched for slave narratives, produced documentaries, assembled a mighty team of colleagues at Harvard.

"He's unquestionably one of the great public intellectuals. He puts people together, he makes a million speeches. He's on airplanes a lot. I think he has 50 honorary degrees by now," says David Remnick, editor of The New Yorker, for which Gates has been a contributor.

Now a dispute with police has brought Gates down into the arena once again.

Reached Thursday by telephone, Gates told The Associated Press he had no further comments to make about the incident, in which he was suspected of breaking into a house _ his own _ and then charged with disorderly conduct when he raged at a police officer.

"I'm tired," he said.

The charge was quickly dropped, but the news did not end, for Gates is the most well connected of men, a friend of at least two presidents (Clinton and Obama) and a scholar whose arrest was worthy of mention at a White House press conference.

Responding to a reporter's question Wednesday night, Barack Obama said he didn't know all the facts but that the police "acted stupidly" by citing Gates for disorderly conduct. He later said he regretted his comments, though he believed that both Gates and the officer overreacted.

Gates' life has been an almost perfect arc of energy and ascent. A mill worker's son, he graduated with honors from Yale and has devoted himself to discovering and explaining the very marrow of the black past.

As head of the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard, Gates has consciously attempted to build upon Du Bois' scholarship and to live out, and up to, his place in what Du Bois called "The Talented Tenth" of black elites.

Gates' projects have included an encyclopedia of Africans and African Americans, an anthology of African American literature and documentaries about Abraham Lincoln and "The Wonders of the African World." His books include an influential work of cultural criticism, "The Signifying Monkey"; and a compilation of essays, "13 Ways of Looking at a Black Man," which features pieces on Colin Powell, Louis Farrakhan and O.J. Simpson's murder trial.

"He does all of these things _ the historical work, the literary theory work _ because they excite him," says Princeton scholar and sometime Gates collaborator Kwame Anthony Appiah.

"One of the things it takes to do so many things is he has a gift as an organizer, as a manager. You have to learn to identify the parts you have and those you don't and then find the right people. He's fantastically good at that, and does it with enormous enthusiasm that energizes the other contributors, too."

"There are people who talk about President Obama being a three-dimensional chess player, operating on a lot of levels at once, and that's a good description of Skip," says fellow Harvard professor Lani Guinier, using the nickname Gates has had since childhood.

"He's entrepreneurial. He has an eye for investments and for networks that are a potential source of support. He has an eye for talent, for bringing in the best people he can to Harvard. And he has an eye for the media, for positioning himself and knowing how to present a story."

He has told his own story in a memoir, "Colored People." Gates was born in 1950 in Piedmont, W.Va., then a segregated mill community. His first knowledge of whites was through television, in sitcoms such as "The Life of Riley," which featured a factory worker, like Gates' dad. His family initially had little interest in protest, wondering why blacks would want to eat at white-owned restaurants since it was well established that whites couldn't cook.

"Civil rights took us all by surprise," wrote Gates, whose life was changed, as millions were, by the 1954 Supreme Court decision outlawing the "separate but equal" laws in public schools.

Just two years later, Gates began at the Davis Free Elementary School, integrated in 1955 and virtually the only place in Piedmont where blacks and whites gathered together. Gates arrived more determined than afraid. He was "marked out to excel," an early reader and writer "blessed with the belief that I could learn anything."

"I was all set to become the little prince of that almost all-white school," he wrote.

He was an A student who loved history and geography and would practice the way African leaders' names were pronounced by following the newscasts of Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite. He gave the valedictory address at high school and graduated summa cum laude from Yale, where he majored in history.

To his eventual embarrassment, he wrote in his Yale application:

"As always, whitey now sits in judgment of me, preparing to cast my fate. It is your decision either to let me blow with the wind as a nonentity or to encourage the development of self. Allow me to prove myself."

He was substantial enough to get into Yale anyway, politicized enough to protest racism and the Vietnam War, but never so disheartened by his country that he didn't consider himself a part of it.

As a scholar, he has advocated African American history as part of American history, distrusting "the rhetoric of crisis" and unwilling to enter the "sweepstakes of oppression." Change has been effected from the top. At Harvard, Gates is credited with turning the school's African American studies program into a "hub" for intellectual history, Appiah said, with fellows and faculty advisers including Guinier, William Julius Wilson and Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka.

Gates' pull is also political. He is close to the Clintons and initially supported Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential run. He has met Obama often enough to host a fundraiser for the Illinois Democrat's successful U.S. Senate race in 2004 and Gates has said that he contributed the maximum allowable amount to Obama's presidential campaign.

He would seem worthy of mention in "Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African-American Experience," but since Gates helped edit it, he left himself out. Appiah, the reference book's coeditor, suggested an entry.

"It would say that he was a central figure in the investigation and the development of African-American studies as it developed in the late 20th century, both as an intellectual and as an organizer of intellectual projects," Appiah said.

"He combined this with an interest in his field that led him to want to explain it to a wider public as a writer and a filmmaker. He cared deeply about African American culture and tradition, but he's also a deeply committed American nationalist patriot. He realized that it's natural for the one to be the other."

(Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

"Civil rights took us all by surprise," wrote Gates, whose life was changed, as millions were, by the 1954 Supreme Court decision outlawing the "separate but equal" laws in public schools.

Just two years later, Gates began at the Davis Free Elementary School, integrated in 1955 and virtually the only place in Piedmont where blacks and whites gathered together. Gates arrived more determined than afraid. He was "marked out to excel," an early reader and writer "blessed with the belief that I could learn anything."

"I was all set to become the little prince of that almost all-white school," he wrote.

He was an A student who loved history and geography and would practice the way African leaders' names were pronounced by following the newscasts of Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite. He gave the valedictory address at high school and graduated summa cum laude from Yale, where he majored in history.

To his eventual embarrassment, he wrote in his Yale application:

"As always, whitey now sits in judgment of me, preparing to cast my fate. It is your decision either to let me blow with the wind as a nonentity or to encourage the development of self. Allow me to prove myself."

He was substantial enough to get into Yale anyway, politicized enough to protest racism and the Vietnam War, but never so disheartened by his country that he didn't consider himself a part of it.

As a scholar, he has advocated African American history as part of American history, distrusting "the rhetoric of crisis" and unwilling to enter the "sweepstakes of oppression." Change has been effected from the top. At Harvard, Gates is credited with turning the school's African American studies program into a "hub" for intellectual history, Appiah said, with fellows and faculty advisers including Guinier, William Julius Wilson and Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka.

Gates' pull is also political. He is close to the Clintons and initially supported Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential run. He has met Obama often enough to host a fundraiser for the Illinois Democrat's successful U.S. Senate race in 2004 and Gates has said that he contributed the maximum allowable amount to Obama's presidential campaign.

He would seem worthy of mention in "Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African-American Experience," but since Gates helped edit it, he left himself out. Appiah, the reference book's coeditor, suggested an entry.

"It would say that he was a central figure in the investigation and the development of African-American studies as it developed in the late 20th century, both as an intellectual and as an organizer of intellectual projects," Appiah said.

"He combined this with an interest in his field that led him to want to explain it to a wider public as a writer and a filmmaker. He cared deeply about African American culture and tradition, but he's also a deeply committed American nationalist patriot. He realized that it's natural for the one to be the other."

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 8:11am
People like Mr Gates,and his shoulder Chip,are why Race relations issues will be around for a while. I have had the mis-fortune of Dealing with people like Mr Gates and it is no fun.
The only to please like Mr Gates is to just proclaim that I,We, are Evil by virtue of our lack of Skin tone. Thus..........

Mr Gates is the Racist!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 9:50am
This issue was not initially racism,.
Instead it may be due to combined over-reaction, which led to very unfortunate statements from Mr.Gates(though understandable since he has entering HIS own home and was on his OWN property) and our President, who responded stupidly.  The President's retraction and subsequent findings alone should have ended this incident with no further action from anyone.
Mr.Gates' inflammatory statements to the officer were major mistakes on his part, and self-pride/ego are probably hoding him back from acknowledging same.

We all deal with racist individuals from both sides of the fence. No fun dealing with either side. When I hear the sos predictable negative comments/sterotypes, I shake my head b4 hanging it down in silence. Absolutely no point in responding to the senseless negative divisive attitudes deeply in-grained in so many still today.

I was raised in a poor white neighborhood and a poor minority neighborhood early on b4 moving to just outside the city limits into an upscale(back then) subdivision. I have always been involved in business activity in all areas of the city, though paticularly in the southwest part of town and northwestern part of the east end.

People are just people with the same problems. The blame game serves no good purpose for any group. This unfortunate misunderstanding needs to be put to rest quietly, since no one was actually harmed or denigrated.

The black/white thing is so dated.
The hispanics,Asians,Middle-Easterners are passing us by, laughing, while we still fight the same old past tense windmills.

We have serious issues and decisions today, all going global and far beyond this age-old division.

Can't we all just get along?
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 10:42am

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 11:59am
Perhaps this will help end the call of racism as a knee jerk reaction and help cure what ails our relationship with one another.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 1:01pm
I can understand the anger by Mr. Gates,had it been me I would either be dead or going to prison for life. Now that is my first reaction. My second is what took place that no one reported ? My opinion of cops is that they have way to much power and racial profiling is too prevalent among the ranks. Cops can and do get by with anything because in this day and age of 9/11's and the fear mongering people see a criminal and terrorist behind every tree.

As for the second video of interviews with other cops that I strongly believe was very well scripted. I believe those officers were either told what to say or they knew if they didn't support the white officer in question there would be repercussions.

As for Mr. Gates being a racist,if he is he has every right to be. Not one of us white people have lived the life that a large percentage of blacks have lived. Not one of us have been turned down for a job because we are white,not one of us have been told to enter the back door because we are white,not one of us have been attacked by police just because we wanted equal rights,and the list goes on and I think you get the meaning. The big question to ask is why is it ok for whites to be racist but not for blacks ? And you all know what I mean by that question.

The same applies to the American Indians. What is about the white man that he thinks he is the supreme ruler ? If you go out west most people are prejudice against indians,and in history when the army massacred a tribe it was called a victory and great battle. When indians fought back  whites didn't call it a  great battle but we called it a massacre.

When you reply or comment about my posting don't throw up what went on in other countries,I don't care what happened in other countries I'm only concerned with this one.

"That's all I got to say about that" Approve
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 1:28pm
Hermes the excuse maker.  LOL  At what point in time do you hold people accountable for their actions Hermes.......probably never, you just continue to enable the poor behavior.

Hermes you have racists on both sides that will never stop.  This incident did not entail a cop being racists simply for asking Gates for ID to prove he actually resided at this residence.  I would hope any good cop would ask for someone they did not know to prove they actually lived at a residence that someone thought they were attempting to break into.  This is a logical action, not a racist action.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 1:57pm
wasteful,Gates did show his ID and the cop in question was still being belligerent. To be charged with being loud & non-compliant in your own house is beyond ridiculous. When his identity was proven the cop should have apologized and walked away,but no,the cop has to continue pushing buttons knowing he was forcing Gates into a corner and then he could arrest him. I'm very surprised they didn't taser him or beat the crap out of him. If you call that good police work I pray your not a cop.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 2:15pm
MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 2:32pm
Is it possible this thing has been more than beat to death for over a week?
There's nothing new here, possibly just bad behavior by both sides.... How wasteful...

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 4:05pm

That police report is a load of crap !! "Arrested for being loud and tumultuous", IN HIS OWN HOME of all places ! Then the cop wants the witness to meet him at the front door of the possible burglarized house ? How stupid is this cop ?!! Yeah lets endanger the witness by having her stand on the porch while a possible burglary is going on inside.

This officers report is so full of crap it's not funny.

And yes Merrell it needs to beat some more because as I stated above police are getting away with way to much and citizens need to take a stand against totalitarianism in this country.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2009 at 4:26pm
Just another example which drives my point home. "And thats all I got to say about that"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic