FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Town Hall Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Town Hall Meeting
    Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 10:15pm

Did I hear correctly this evening?   Grants were available for the demolition of the old hospital providing a final use plan for the land was in place. Since the final use plan apparently fell through and no one seemed to have any idea what will happen, who is on the hook for this gargantuous bill? Did I miss something?

I was also glad to hear that the Highland Historical District was formed primarily to fight crime! LOL
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:08am

Could it be that 'double speak' continues from our local government?

Is it really true that what we're told isn't necessarily what we'll get?

Could it really be?
Nelson Self
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:49am
I am SHOCKED--SHOCKED, I tell you!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:14am
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

I was also glad to hear that the Highland Historical District was formed primarily to fight crime! LOL
That's strange!!!  Everywhere else in Middletown the same program is called "NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH"!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:02am
Yeah, I finally got to see who this Jeff Michel was. He stated that his neighborhood has a car breakin once a week. He thought the breakins were due to people wanting drug money and not your average run-of-the mill teenagers doing the dirty deeds(done dirt cheap) Gee, Jeff, you ought to move out of that crime ladened, newly proclaimed "Highland's Historical District" neighborhood of yours and move around Mr. Marconi's area of town where there's very little crime.Or, you could use your persuasion to encourage Council to fence you Highland folks off from the tattered vagabond riffraff that continually violate your upscale sanctuary. We who live close to the Marconiman, have no fear of vandalism. Some of us even have guns that we are "just a itchin'" to use!

Section 8 topic- caught the answer to one of the questions about the Section 8 numbers when Marconi said that it didn't matter if Middletown wanted to reduce the number of Section 8 in the city or not. HUD could refuse the allow the city to reduce the program. Is that correct???? If so, why would anyone want to place this city in a no-win situation like that where we can't even manage our own internal programs without some damn government agency sticking their nose in our business? Who are the idiots--- no wait- why, it's the past/present city council/city leaders who caused this cluster.

Anyone go to this from this forum?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:30am

Vet would have liked to have gone but was working until about 6:45.  Did anyone press the issue of having to get permission from the Feds about reducing Vouchers.  Sorry but I have a hard time buying that one.

Last year about this time the discussion was about doing away with the Section 8 program altogether by transferring the vouchers to BMH and some to Warren County.  This was the recommendation of the City manager and the City Councils paid consultant on the Section 8 matter.

Now if I remember correctly there was discussion about how it would be difficult to transfer the vouchers and that HUD would have to involved but it could be done and HUD was up for it.  So what has changed. 

1)  You do away with the 500 people on the waiting list until you get to the number of vouchers that Middletown is going to oversee settles or transfer them to BMH list as I do not believe they filled up their list for Vouchers.

2) You begin transferring 1000, I would do more, of the vouchers to BMH and Warren county with the assistance of HUD.  When you do this you allow people to live anywhere in Butler and Warren County.  You will still get some coming to Middletown due to the fact that we have such a large stock of Section 8 housing, this needs to be addressed.  But by transferring these vouchers out of Middletown you allow people to live where there are jobs and you hopefully don't concentrate poverty into one area like it currently is with Middletown.  Hopefully over time you would diminish the Section 8 Housing and Poverty issue in Middletown.  But you need leaders that take action and don't spend 3 yrs. debating the issue dealing with Section 8.  It has been one year since the conversation has become rather Public about Section 8 and in that time other than signing a contract with Consoc, little else has been accomplished.

3)  In the end you end up with 662 vouchers.

4)  Then you tackle the Section 8 landlord mess to reduce these properties in Middletown.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:30am
nice forum
thank you Mr.Marconi
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:32am
Hey- I guess Ed Richter didn't think the Marconi meeting was important enough to report on. Didn't see anything in the Journal about it. I always enjoy reading the city's side of things from Ed. Shame we don't have anyone reporting the citizens viewpoints. Heck, even an in-depth, unbiased, well researched story would be a welcomed relief just to see if the Journal could do it.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:38am
Pacman- Adkins was asked last night about what the city sees as the correct number of vouchers. He didn't give an answer but danced around it. He wanted to know how a town could arrive at a "correct number of vouchers number". It was suggested that the voucher number was based on the population of a town. He said that was not correct and that he would have to be shown that information. Didn't we discuss the number of vouchers versus population of town thing on this forum at one time? Perhaps I'm wrong on this.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:55am

Vet sounds like Adkins is more interested in protecting the rest of the county from Section 8 than Middletown's well being and growth.

Only 2 city's have Section 8 programs in Ohio Parma and Middletown.  Parma has a population of over 85000 residents and 742 vouchers.  Middletown has a population of about 52000 probably less now and 1662 vouchers.  Butler County has 350000 residents and only about 900 vouchers.  Using Middletowns logic Butler should have 7 times the vouchers Middletown has or about 11634 vouchers.

The reason Middletown got into the Section 8 mess was $$$$$$.  There is no logical reason any city council or governement should ever place itself into the position Middletown has with Section 8 and Poverty.  If this is the way the city is going to react to the concerns of its citizens then warm up the recall petitons come November 4th and start to get rid of some of them until we get a council that acts to benefit the city as a whole.

No city that I have looked at has such a disproportionate number of Section 8 Vouchers compared to population as Middletown.  That is not to say some city somewhere was not been dumb enough to get themselves into the same boat as Middletown, but I haven't found one yet.

Personally I am leery of Adkins being placed in Charge of this dept. for the city, one he does not live here and two he is looking to leave his current employment. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 9:08am
Well, there you have it Mr. Adkins. Last night, you wanted to be shown documentation that the number of Section 8 vouchers are connected with the population of a city. Pacman has researched this for you and has provided the data on this forum. I know you read the content of this forum. It is now in your court to react appropriately and honestly. If not, we know where you stand and your credibility/integrity is "less than stellar" should we say. We are not fools and can see through the nonsense you city people are pumping out concerning this and many other issues in this city. Enough!    
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 9:17am

Also about my above post. By transferring the Vouchers out of Middletown to BMH and Warren County, I am pretty sure no one would loose their voucher if it was transferred to another agency so Adkins concern about the number of vouchers in Middletown's Housing authority is moot, unless the concern is still $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:58am
Would transferring voucher to Butler County really help.  BMH puts people into Middletown right now.  So if we transferred the vouchers - it would not move the section 8 housing. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:09pm
Bobbie in the beginning it would probably mean Middletown would still have more Section 8 than other Areas.  But over time it is hoped that as people have the flexibility to move throughout the county to where the jobs are they will move elsewhere and Section 8 landlords Will rent to others.  The problem is everyone just says oh well nothing is going to change so forget it.  So many are not even interested in taking back their community and improving it, I don't get it around here.

Middletown needs to stop approving any type of Public housing, Handicap/disabled Housing, Senior Housing, you need to reverse the over abundance and reach a middle  ground.

Unless you bring in residents that actually pay taxes you will lose this city forever in the next 10-20 years if that long.

People go oh my, you can't talk or do that.  Unfortunately if you don't reduce the poverty and Public Assistance Housing to a reasonable level and raise revenues everyone ends up hurt in the end.  It is just commonsense management and reaching a socio-economic balance so everyone benefits, the poor, the middle class, the elderly......everyone.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:32pm
Pacman -

Until the latter part of July 2008, HUD grants (CDBG & HOME) focused the allocation of funds and approved program activities as follows:

1) home ownership promotion (the HOME Program permitted citywide activities):
2) strategic minor plus major owner-occupied housing rehabilitation (the CDBG Program and approved FY 2005-2009 Consolidated Plan focused on targeted census tracts);
3) concentrated housing code enforcement (the CDBG Program and approved FY 2005-2009 Consolidated Plan focused on targeted census tracts);
4) residential property demolition (the CDBG Program and approved FY 2005-2009 Consolidated Plan focused on targeted census tracts); and,
5) community improvement projects like Damon Park, housing makeovers, Dream Center rehab, etc. (the CDBG Program and approved FY 2005-2009 Consolidated Plan focused on targeted census tracts).

As of March 2008, Section 8 was totally handled by Miss Gilleland, Mr. Kohler and one of their many consultants.

There's nothing else to say that hasn't already been passed along to the participants of MiddletownUSA plus the local news media.  Some day in the future, I hope and pray that the truth will be shared with the citizens of Middletown. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 5:25am

Nelson that may be true.  The fact of the matter is that in the fall of 2008 Gilleland and the Section 8 Consultant, I forget his name, both recommended to Council that the city divest itself of the Section 8 program turning it over to BMH and some to Warren County.  It was then that the City Council stepped in and vetoed that idea and took over the reins of Section 8.  Here we are 1 year later and all that has been accomplished in that year is a new contract with Consoc, the very company that had a hand in getting us into the Section 8 mess the City is currently in.  It has taken City Council 1 year to just decide this month to have Housing Authority meetings.  Council still appears to not have a handle on Section 8.  Armbruster says no reduction in vouchers now, Marconi says they have reduced some already, then says they need HUD OK to reduce vouchers.

It is City Council that is making the decisions that are detrimental to the overall well being of Middletown's financial growth.  It is city council that sits there and denies Forbes stats that Middletown's poverty has grown to 22% from  12% in 10 short years and yet they quote the 22% figure in HUD applications for grant money.  It is city council that is perpetuating the socio-economic imbalance that is plaguing Middletown.  It is city council that is not hearing what it's citizens are saying they want for their city, and sadly it is the Citizens that let them get away with it day in and day out.  Folks this is your city, this City does not just belong to the 7 people on Coucnil to do what THEY want done,  which is what is happening right now.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 6:46am

Good Morning Pacman -

The name of their Section 8 consultant is Frank Chapman.  By the way, neither Miss Gilleland or Mr. Kohler ever introduced me to him.  I have no idea how much he was paid and believed that he started working for them in March 2008.

In late February 2008 at the first meeting of the City Council Housing Subcommittee in the City Manager's office, the following persons were present: Miss Gilleland, Mr. Kohler, Mr. Schiavone, Ms. Barbara Castells and me.  At that time they stated their dissatisfaction with the the manner that Section 8 was administered.  Discussion focused on the Planning Department taking over all operations; a City run program!

It was Miss Gilleland who stated that a consultant should be hired to make this recommendcation rather than city staff or city council members.  I was told by two City Council members to keep my nose clean and that I might be promoted to head-up this program at $70,000+ per year.  One of these elected officials (he is now a candidate) told the Immediate Past President of the Middletown Board of REALTORS that I was the likely person to be the initial city staff administrator.  By the way, if records are checked you will find that my highest annual earnings were less than $54,000 annually.  I felt that I was very well paid and am glad that I never made the Middletown Journal list of high paid city employees!

The rest is history and, once again, I had nothing to do with Section 8 in any possible manner.  Prior to this, my role had nothing to do with setting policy, etc., as things of importance were handled personally by Mr. Kohler and C.O.N.S.O.C. senior officials.

Pacman, how sad for the City of Middletown that people like Mike Presta, Viet Vet, Vivian Moon, yourself and a handful of other concerned citizens are ignored by the elitists!

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 6:59am
Pacman -

What you say is (sadly) 100% true!

I have great concern how the potential results of this November's upcoming election could send the City of Middletown further down the poverty road.

Vote for Nagy, Barge, Laubach and Soppanish!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 7:24am
It's OK Nelson. Perhaps, after the November elections, and if the incumbants retain their seats, a citizen or two will decide to make a trip to Hamilton to "pick up" a boatload of petitions and discuss options/proper procedures with Ms. McGary, to address a number of issues discussed on this forum, including the removal of some people from their city positions of leadership. That's after waiting the prescribed number of months of course. Perhaps if all goes well, we will have gotten their attention, gotten some problem children out of their highchairs and perhaps, those that remain may stop ignoring us.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 7:39am
Good Morning Viet Vet -

While I have never had the pleasure of meeting Pacman, Mike Presta, Vivian Moon or you in person, I do have great respect for what you have done to restore common sense to local government.  Others like Gary Barge, John Soppanish, Paul Nagy, etc. have made great contributions also.

Thank you for your service overseas and in Middletown!  I hope that your wife is doing better these days too!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 10:17am
Good Morning, tonight at 6 pm Josh Laubach will be at the Middies football game getting his word. Any one interested should come out and show support for him.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 10:25am
I don't understand why all the candidates haven't been attending each home game.  iIt seems like a great opportunity to interact with the community. 

When I was at East last week, I was bombarded by candidates for offices.  Had to drive them off with my cowbell.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic