FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Religious Swords in Canton Schools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Religious Swords in Canton Schools
    Posted: Feb 01 2011 at 7:30pm

Sikh Faith Members Want Religious Swords in Canton Schools

Updated: Friday, 07 Jan 2011, 11:18 AM EST
Published : Thursday, 06 Jan 2011, 6:45 PM EST

By ROBIN SCHWARTZ
    WJBK | myFOXDetroit.cmo

CANTON, Mich. (WJBK) - At first glance, they may look scary and dangerous, but members of the Sikh faith who carry religious swords called Kirpan say they are not weapons at all.

"It's a religious symbol. It just reminds you for your spirituality. It's a fight against your internal evils," said Sikh community leader Tejkiran Singh.

The small sabers worn under people's clothing are in the middle of a controversy in Canton where a fourth grader who follows the religion and its customs brought one to Bentley Elementary School.

After they are baptized, members of the faith, which originated in South Asia in the 15th century, are expected to carry the symbol all the time.

After inspecting the saber and determining it did not have any sharp edges, the principal initially gave it back to the boy. However, the Plymouth-Canton School District said they reviewed state and federal law and since the symbol resembles a weapon, they banned it in December.

"Equal damage could be done with a fork or with a butter knife. Every kid has a pair of scissors, a pencil," Singh said.

"It should stay at home, in my opinion," said one person.

"If it's somebody's religion, I would wonder if there's a reason or purpose for them to have to have it at school," said another.

As a result of the ban, members of the world's fifth largest organized religion are working to educate the community about their customs and traditions.

They also plan to meet with the school district next week in the hope of working out an arrangement that will allow children to practice their religion without violating school rules.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
    MUSA Council
    MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2011 at 11:15am

Now this is an interesting problem to work your little grey cells. I believe we have faced this dilemma before in several large court cases, just minus the sword.
        In public schools if you can NOT wear a tee shirt with a Cross or Star of David etc or any other items to show your faith, then I believe the sword would fall under this ruling and also as a weapon.
        Again these groups have a right to start your own private religious school if they want to practice their faith along with their education pursuits.

I can't wait to see how the courts rule on this case.

Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic