FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cameras On Buses-Can't Afford It

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cameras On Buses-Can't Afford It
    Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 6:47am
Today's Journal.....

Just 5 of 51 district buses have working video cameras

Five of Middletown’s 51 school buses have a digital camera with footage that can be reviewed as-needed. Buses did have VHS cameras that no longer function, officials said, but it was too costly to replace them.

A two-camera system for a 72-passenger bus with 24 seats starts at about $1,200, according to Mike Conley of Cardinal Bus Sales and Service, a dealer of Blue Bird busing products used by Middletown schools.

Edgewood and Hamilton districts have operating cameras in all of their buses.

51 buses @ $1200. per bus = $61200. Cut one assist. principal's salary and benefits package cost from the many assist. principals in the district, transfer the money to this project and you can pay for all the buses to have the upgrade. What is more important- kid's safety or another assist. principal? JMO
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 9:08am

Vet, I don’t agree with those numbers at all. $1,200 is a bit high in my opinion and seeing that I am in the camera security business I think I would know. The real numbers are as follows

1 - DVR = $430

2 - Color Bullet Cameras = $70 each

2- 50 foot Coax Cables = $35 each (may not even need 50 footers)

2- Power Supply's to power cameras = $12 each

That is everything you would need for a system on a school bus. Do the math, looks like $564 to me, not counting Ohio sales tax. Now of courses this does not include installing the system, but they are not hard to set up. The school system could save money by having one of their maintenance staff do that part.

Are you telling me that the school can’t afford those numbers? I guess protecting kids from getting their hair caught on fire and protecting pregnant girls from getting beat up on the busses is not that important.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 9:29am
Since installing the cameras (not maintaining them) would be a one-time expense, it sounds like something the "Race to the Top" funds could be put towards (if MCSD receives any, I can't remember if they did or not).
rem 1187 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem 1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 9:49am
Whats wrong with the ones that aren't working? Can make a call to Admin. and ask. Would hope that we all know that cameras won't change everything in regards to behavior or lack of respect towards your fellow human.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 10:12am
The article said that the other buses didn't have systems, not that they were broken.

Well, they did say that all the buses had VHS systems on them, but that's like saying the school could have an extra computer lab if all those Apple ]['s could get repaired.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic