FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Midd.'s Preschool Program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midd.'s Preschool Program
    Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 6:31am
From the Journal...

Butler County ESC to run Middletown preschool program

MIDDLETOWN — The Butler County Educational Service Center will run Middletown’s preschool program next year as the district continues to search for ways to alleviate costs

Wendy Folino, preschool coordinator for Middletown schools, said if not hired by BCESC, her educators will still serve with the district in some capacity.

“No one will be losing their jobs,” she said. “They will still be teachers within our district.”

Still, those educators may bump others with less seniority, Rasmussen said.

Now, wait a minute....Folino says no one will be losing their job...they will still be teachers in our district. Rasmussen says some educators may bump others with less seniority. Someone is going to lose their job Folino. Which is it...can't be both. Furthermore, is there a need for Folino's job as "preschool coordinator" since Butler County is taking over this program? With each Journal article, there seems to be mentioned another "hidden" position within the Midd. district that isn't on the normal radar. Here is an opportunity to provide more cuts in personnel Ms. Andrew. I suspect the school district is still a little "bloated" with multi-layer positions.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 1:03pm
No need to worry the next school levy will solve all the problems.And it's probably just a rumor.You can't believe everything you read in the Journal.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 1:34pm
Vet, there is no inconsistency. Folino was asked about the teachers she supervises -- the preschool teachers -- and answered, truthfully, that none of them would be out of a job even though the preschool positions were being transferred to the ESC. They can apply for the job with the ESC, or, since they are all certified to teach preK through grade 3, they can bump a teacher with less seniority in one of those grades, as the Superintendent mentioned.  Whether or not that "bumped" teacher ends up without a job depends on how many teachers take the early retirement option offered by the board.  We will reduce the number of teachers as a result of Verity/Highview moves, but if enough retirements occur, there will be no need to RIF teachers. 

The district continues to run its preschool progam itself through the end of this school year, and still needs a coordinator for that time. This is similar to someone on another thread asking why we needed a transportation supervisor when we were outsourcing transportation. We have not yet signed a contract to outsource transportation, and when we do, it won't take effect until the next school year.  If we do sign a bussing contract with Peterman, the MCSD transportation supervisor will become an employee of Petermann. 

Hermes, the school board directed the superintendent to develop a budget that would push out as far as possible, given the uncertainties with the state budget, the need for any additional operating levy. He did so, proposing more than $5 million in cuts. There will be no school levy on the ballot this year.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 3:52pm
Mrs. Andrew, since you brought up the transportation, I saw someone on the Journal's sound off that had made a statement I think would be a valid question. If MCSD signs a contract with Peterman to handle bussing for the district, in the future if there should be a new levy or renewal that does not pass in the election, would MCSD be hamstringed in how it could change bussing options to reduce costs since it would have a contract with Peterman?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 6:30am
Speaking of transportation and buses, Ms. Andrew, the bus number is 51. Around 4:30PM each evening when I cut through the Oaks on my way home, I notice that this bus is providing door to door service to the Oaks people and to a family on Rachel Lane a few houses down from me. We discussed this once before and I still have questions on why not a common designated bus stop as in past years? Just seems as if the buses are being used as a private taxi service rather than in typical bus fashion. Curious as to why it could be construed as a "limo service" arraignment?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 6:36am
[QUOTE=Marcia Andrew] Vet, there is no inconsistency. Folino was asked about the teachers she supervises -- the preschool teachers -- and answered, truthfully, that none of them would be out of a job even though the preschool positions were being transferred to the ESC. They can apply for the job with the ESC, or, since they are all certified to teach preK through grade 3, they can bump a teacher with less seniority in one of those grades, as the Superintendent mentioned.  Whether or not that "bumped" teacher ends up without a job depends on how many teachers take the early retirement option offered by the board.  We will reduce the number of teachers as a result of Verity/Highview moves, but if enough retirements occur, there will be no need to RIF teachers. 

Ok Ms. Andrew, just a difference in interpretation between the both of us. I read it that Folino says the teachers will be retained and Rasmussen says, what a minute, not so fast, some could lose their jobs by being bumped by more senior teachers. No big deal.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 6:41pm
Middletown Scouter,

The negotiations with Petermann are still in process, so no written contract has yet been presented to the Board. But my understanding of the framework is that Petermann will provide bussing services to the district as directed by the district. If in at some time we decide we have to cut bussing to state minimums, then Petermann would only provide that amount of state bussing. If we decide to change the start time of the elementary schools, they would have to provide bus routes to accomodate that start time. Etc.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 6:42pm

Vet, I already addressed your questions about the bus routes and reasons why some busses might stop directly at a house versus a street corner, in another thread.  I don't have anything more to say on the subject.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Vet, I already addressed your questions about the bus routes and reasons why some busses might stop directly at a house versus a street corner, in another thread.  I don't have anything more to say on the subject.

You are correct Ms. Andrew. No further discussion is needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic