FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This fall's B of E election

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This fall's B of E election
    Posted: Jul 26 2011 at 4:42am

There are only a couple of weeks left before petitions must be filed to be on the ballot for the Middletown City School District Board of Education.   Petitions must be filed by 4:00 p.m. on August 10th.  (I think that 50 signatures are required for this office, but I am not 100% positive of that number.)  So far, only three people have pulled petitions for the three seats up for election.  No one, as of this date, has actually filed their signed petitions.

Incumbents Christopher Fiora and Katherine McNeil have both pulled petitions, as has apparent challenger Alan Whitt of Armco Drive.  The third incumbent, former Fire Chief John Sauter, has not yet pulled his petitions.

Anyone wishing to help to guide the direction of our schools for the next four years is urged to visit the Butler County Board of Elections to pull petitions to run for a seat on this important facet of our city government.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2011 at 7:16am
I  know Mr. Whitt,  he is a NO BS straight shooter. Would be a great addition to the board. Don't think he would mind being labeled a honest, hard working, blue collar taxpayer who cares deeply about his childerns education. He gets involved and knows he has to work with others to get solutions.
sassygirl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2011 at 6:47pm
Hopefully, Sauter will not run. He is nothing but a puppet of the teacher's union via his teacher wife and her friends.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 11:09am
"So far, only three people have pulled petitions for the three seats up for election. No one, as of this date, has actually filed their signed petitions."

Wow, it looks like no one wants to be on the school board in Middletown.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 3:09am

Here's the latest update from the Board of Election's website on the Midlletown Board of Education Race:

Alan G. Whitt and Christopher Fiora have filed their petitions.  Katherine McNeil has not yet done so.

No one else is reported as having pulled petitions.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 10:47pm
Today was the deadline for filing petitions to run for a seat on the Middletown City School District Board of Education.  From an article in the Journal e-dition, the only ones to file:

"Middletown City Board of Education (three to be elected): Alan G. Whitt, Christopher Fiora, Katherine McNeil"

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 7:05am
We already know what we're going to get from McNeil and Fiora. How about Whitt? No change from the current crop, or, hopefully, will provide new ideas/direction that will actually be seen as positive and measureable by the taxpayers in this district? I see no reason to vote for any of the incumbants as I haven't seen any real production from McNeil in many years of board sitting.(Same goes for Tyus) Not sure what Fiora has offered as yet. Seems to be rather silent. Where are the outspoken people on both the school board and council? All seem to just "go along with the program" no matter what the program is. Can you really get anything worthwhile done with no "outside the box" thinking and no disagreement once in awhile?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 9:56pm
I think it is out in the open but again Mr. Whitt  who works out at Berns and has been with them for a long time due to his talents and knowledge of that field is a smart quick thinking business man.  Times are tough even for the service vendors and watching the overhead is key for lasting in this economy.  Mr. Whitt understands this and the demands of the state.  I don't think he would mind talking to any of us and listen to ideas.  Hey Randy I never know if your a reporter or not, you bit somebodys head off for calling you that but you might want to track Mr. Whitt down and ask him a few questions.  That is if your not washing Johns car or getting his dry cleaning!  Brn nose.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 6:15am
Originally posted by ground swat ground swat wrote:

I think it is out in the open but again Mr. Whitt  who works out at Berns and has been with them for a long time due to his talents and knowledge of that field is a smart quick thinking business man.  Times are tough even for the service vendors and watching the overhead is key for lasting in this economy.  Mr. Whitt understands this and the demands of the state.  I don't think he would mind talking to any of us and listen to ideas.  Hey Randy I never know if your a reporter or not, you bit somebodys head off for calling you that but you might want to track Mr. Whitt down and ask him a few questions.  That is if your not washing Johns car or getting his dry cleaning!  Brn nose.

swat- in defense of randy sue, I think he may be stressed a bit. The Bengals are about to embark on a new season that will, once again, provide area residents with laughter, comedy and yes, some blooper highlight reel footage, as they have been picked in the pre-season as 34th out of 32 teams. (Slippery Rock College was chosen 32nd and the Great Clips unisex pickup football team was chosen 33rd- ) Still, given the stress of being a Bengals fan, you are correct....absolutely no excuse to blatantly cry out what randy jane did as to "being the best place to work in the world" (or some brown-nosing crap like that)
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2011 at 7:12am
Yesterday's Journal...

Middletown Schools board race features new candidates, 2 incumbents

MIDDLETOWN — Middletown Schools Board of Education member Chris Fiora says he is “proud” of the progress Middletown City Schools has made and he wants to continue to be a part of the effort

“I’m real proud of the changes that we’ve made and the administration has made and proud of the results we’re achieving, and I wanted to do my part to help us continue on that same path,” he said.

Results to date......

In the recently released Ohio Department of Education’s state report cards, the district earned a continuous improvement rating and also showed signs of improvement in math and reading across the board.

AGAIN, CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT (which is what is has been for how many years?) SHOWED "SIGNS" OF IMPROVEMENT IN MATH AND READING ACROSS THE BOARD......BUT NOT ENOUGH TO RAISE THE LEVEL. THIS COULD MEAN ANY NUMBER OF THINGS, IT IS SO VAGUE.

“That was 3 1/2 years of blood, sweat and tears just to be able to get everything in place and fortunately the district came through, and, I think, they did a great job last year. Next year should even be better,” he said.

THE "DISTRICT CAME THROUGH"....YOU SEE, THAT'S THE THING......YOU CAN TAKE A STALEMATE SITUATION WHERE YOU DIDN'T GO DOWN, BUT YOU DIDN'T GO UP EITHER AND CALL IT IMPROVEMENT. HOW? IN REALITY, YOU STAYED THE SAME OR, AT BEST, YOU DIDN'T MAKE ENOUGH PROGRESS TO POST ANY MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENT. (Except for indicators...yes, I know, but how about graduation rates and any significant proficiency progress?)

Fiora, a 1976 graduate of Middletown High School, said also chose to run because he wanted to see the district improve its academic performance.

Mr. Fiora, if you graduated in 1976, you were at the end of the good years in this school system before it started it's tailspin into oblivion. You must be able to see the same things I see. You must admit this school district is a shadow of itself right now as to achievement/quality of education. Correct?

Incumbent Katie McNeil is seeking her fifth term on the board

McNeil, executive vice president of Miami Machine Corporation in Overpeck, said it has been an honor for her to serve the Middletown community for 16 years and the Butler Tech School District for 11 years as a public school board member.

“I choose to run again to continue the work of the Middletown City Board of Education in setting policy for the district; to help ensure fiscal responsibility in support of public schools; and to help provide leadership in the efforts to maintain and provide modern and safe school facilities,” she said.

McNeil, 58, said she is disappointed that more candidates have not stepped up to run for the board .

PERHAPS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO HELP YOUR SCHOOL DISTRICT SMARTMAN?

“Campaign debate is good for a citizenry to help identify issues and concerns for public schools,” she said

Probably not a good idea to keep putting this lady in a school board seat. Have any of you heard anything relevant from her in her last two terms on the board? As time has gone by, she has become less effective it would seem. Seems "detached" when speaking to her. It would be nice to see her follow Sauter's lead. Time to give a newcomer a chance perhaps?

Your turn Smartman. Tell me what an sob I am for picking on your school board members and your school district.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2011 at 9:18am
Ok Vet. I promised myself I was not going to participate in your pool of negativity again, but you drew me into it. Yes I do support the schools. It took 40 years for us to get to this low point in education in Middletown. Being as close to it as I am I do see a change for the better. Attitudes among the teachers are starting to be more positive and a new commitment in the classroom. 40 years is a long time and changes will not happen overnight. Improvement is being made whether you want to give them credit or not.
You say maybe this is my opportunity to help. I have been asked on many occasions to run for school board. I choose not to. Since my wife is a teacher in the district I do not want the finger of conflict of interest being pointed at me or refered to as a puppet for the teachers union.
Here is my oponion of the school board. I applaud everyone's efforts in trying to make a change and their commitment over the years, but it is time for a change and new rules to be a part of the board. I believe that the board should be made up of parents that have children in the system and that care about the childs education. Parents that know the value of an education and what it takes to succeed in college and beyond. With that being said only one would be left on the board right now. I applaud Mr Whitt's dedication at Wildwood and his willingness to step up to be a part of the board.

There you have it. If my support of the schools bothers you, Oh Well! The teachers, administrators, and the board need our support. Being supportive and recognizing their wins cost us nothing. Community support means alot to these folks. I will continue to be their cheerleader!

Your turn Vet. Time to vomit some more negativity.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2011 at 10:14am
Fair enough Smartman. Thought I'd get you started on a Monday morning and send that blood pressure a little higher if I could.

Got a comment to make about the following statements.....

"40 years is a long time and changes will not happen overnight"

BUT IT'S BEEN 40 YEARS! WHATTA YA MEAN IT WON'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT? IF IT AIN'T HAPPENED IN 40 YEARS, WHAT HAS THE EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BEEN DOING ALL THIS TIME? SHOULDN'T TAKE 40 YEARS JUST TO ARRIVE AT WHERE WE ARE NOW, SHOULD IT?

"I have been asked on many occasions to run for school board. I choose not to. Since my wife is a teacher in the district I do not want the finger of conflict of interest being pointed at me or refered to as a puppet for the teachers union"

I THINK THE THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED ON COUNCIL AND THE SCHOOL BOARD, PAST AND PRESENT, AS TO CONFLICT OF INTEREST IN THIS TOWN HAS COME AND GONE AND APPEAR TO BE OVERLOOKED. THERE HAVE BEEN INSTANCES WHERE CONFLICT OF INTEREST HAS BEEN EXPOSED AND WAS FORGOTTEN ABOUT, ESPECIALLY WITH COUNCIL. THE IDEA OF BEING A PUPPET FOR THE TEACHER'S UNION IS MUTE. EVERYONE KNOWS THE TEACHER'S UNION CONTROLS ALL IT ENCOMPASSES. IT HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO GO UNCHECKED AND HAS GOTTEN TOO POWERFUL IN INFLUENCE NOWADAYS. THEY HAVE INTIMIDATED THE SCHOOL BOARDS AND THE POLITICIANS OVER THE YEARS. I BELIEVE YOU WOULD MAKE A GOOD CANDIDATE AND I ENCOURAGE YOU TO RUN. YOU CARE VERY MUCH AND IT SHOWS.

"I believe that the board should be made up of parents that have children in the system and that care about the childs education"

SO, IN YOUR OPINION, PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO KIDS OR HAVE KIDS THAT ARE OUT OF THE SYSTEM HAVE NO BUSINESS RUNNING FOR SCHOOL BOARD? ONCE YOUR KID IS OUT, YOU ARE OUT AS TO CONSIDERATION HUH? IMO, VERY EXCLUSIONAL AND NARROW MINDED THINKING TO ELIMINATE ANYONE OUTSIDE THE DOMAIN OF THE SCHOOL COMMUNITY. THAT'S ONE OF THE PROBLEMS. IF YOU HAVE ONLY PEOPLE WITH ONLY SCHOOL COMMUNITY TIES, YOU GET THE SCHOOL COMMUNITY TUNNEL VISION IN DIRECTION. AND, YOU ARE SUGGESTING THAT PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL COMMUNITY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE KID'S EDUCATION? MERCY.

"Parents that know the value of an education and what it takes to succeed in college and beyond"

PARENTS ARE THE ONLY ONES QUALIFIED HUH?

SO, PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING, BUT HAVE HAD NO CHILDREN, OR THEIR KIDS ARE OUT OF SCHOOL HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE KID NEEDS TO LEARN TO COMPETE AND SUCCEED IN THE WORKING WORLD? YA GOTTA BE KIDDING ME SMARTMAN. SURELY YOU DON'T ACTUALLY PROFESS TO BELIEVE THAT, DO YOU? ANYONE.....KIDS OR NO KIDS, KNOW IN A SHORT TIME IN THE WORKING WORLD WHAT IT TAKES TO SURVIVE.

"There you have it. If my support of the schools bothers you, Oh Well"

NO, IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME. WE NEED PEOPLE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE. YOUR SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER, KATIE MCNEIL SAID IT IN THIS ARTICLE.....DEBATE IS WELCOMED. IT TAKES DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES TO CHANGE THINGS FOR THE BETTER. I'M JUST WAITING FOR THE TIME WHEN THE SCHOOL BOARD/SUPERINTENDENT/OTHER SCHOOL PERSONNEL INCLUDE ALL OF THE COMMUNITY, NOT JUST THE CLOSEKNIT "FRIENDS OF THE SCHOOLS".

"I will continue to be their cheerleader"

GOOD FOR YOU. THEY NEED ALL THE SUPPORT THEY CAN MUSTER.

"Your turn Vet. Time to vomit some more negativity"

NICELY WORDED AND VERY EFFECTIVE WITH THE VOMIT AND NEGATIVITY USED IN ONE SENTENCE. YA DONE GOOD.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic