FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 YEAR PLAN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 YEAR PLAN
    Posted: May 06 2013 at 7:53pm
Posted: 5:44 p.m. Monday, May 6, 2013

School board to talk enrollment, master plan

By Hannah Poturalski

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

Middletown school board members will hear updates today on a 10-year enrollment projection and the possibility for state funds to support facilities at the board of education meeting at 6:30 p.m. at the board office, 1515 Girard Ave.

George Long, business manager, will detail the findings of a state-funded enrollment study done by DeJong-Healy. The study forecasts a relatively flat enrollment for the district through the 2022-23 school year.
Mr. Long how can this be a true statement? If Mr. Adkins is going to remove 1000 Section 8 vouchers from Middletown it will surly reduce the number of children in our schools.

Long said that is a positive finding considering other districts in the state have been recording falling enrollment levels.

Long said he will also update board members on its updated 2013 facilities master plan, which is being developed in partnership with the state. He will outline possible locations for a new middle school to be built.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 6:00am
"Long said that is a positive finding considering other districts in the state have been recording falling enrollment levels"

I believe Middletown has also seen falling enrollment the last several decades, hasn't it? If so, is this statement correct?

Does this "flat enrollment" prediction alter the facilities plans? Do we need as many new schools as they have planned? If we have flat or declining enrollment, some of the "overcrowding" would be alleviated, right? Don't really need to build new schools like the Wildwood and Highview Elementaries which look like mini college campus buildings and have abundant empty space. Could the facilities planning folks be overshooting what we will really need in the future based on this projection?

"He will outline possible locations for a new middle school to be built".

Uh, "to be built" with voter approval perhaps? We do have a say-so on this don't we?

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 10:20am
Don't hold your breath waiting for those Sec 8 vouchers to be reduced. Don't think it's going to happen.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

"Long said that is a positive finding considering other districts in the state have been recording falling enrollment levels"

If we have flat or declining enrollment, some of the "overcrowding" would be alleviated, right? Don't really need to build new schools like the Wildwood and Highview Elementaries which look like mini college campus buildings and have abundant empty space. 

Not trying to step on toes, but Wildwood and several other of the buildings are pretty tight on space already.  I discovered this while doing contract work for the school district. 
Itsa me, mario!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by itsamee itsamee wrote:

Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

If we have flat or declining enrollment, some of the "overcrowding" would be alleviated, right? Don't really need to build new schools like the Wildwood and Highview Elementaries which look like mini college campus buildings and have abundant empty space. 

Not trying to step on toes, but Wildwood and several other of the buildings are pretty tight on space already.  I discovered this while doing contract work for the school district. 

Thank you for the update. Space situation must have changed over time. I thought I remember hearing where the newer schools were built to eliminate space limitations. We do have the additional Section 8 families who's kids are being educated in the Middletown system. Perhaps that fact has added enough newer students to make the situation crowded once again. I can't imagine the overpopulation coming from students from other districts. This district has it's share of parents who are signing their kids up to attend other districts rather than educating their kids here for obvious reasons.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 5:20pm
Over the Hill
Have ya noticed the total silence from City Hall about the Section 8 Vouchers.
Next Section 8 meeting will be in June so maybe Mr. Adkins will give us an update then
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 6:10am
Today's Journal....

School board mulls locations for new middle school
Middletown could build on high school campus or former Verity site

MIDDLETOWN —
Two potential sites for a new middle school in Middletown have been identified.

School board members discussed the possibility for a new two-story middle school to be built alongside the high school on its 45-acre site on Breiel Boulevard, or building a new school on the 39-acre site at the former George M. Verity Middle School on Johns Road.

George Long, business manager, said the facilities committee originally identified 14 possible locations, which were narrowed to a top five, and then, a final two.

WILL THERE BE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE PUBLIC TO VOICE THEIR OPINIONS ON THIS NEW DECISION? (NOT THAT IT MATTERS TO THE FEW WHO SEEM TO BE MAKING THE DECISIONS FOR THE MAJORITY)

WHEN WILL THE BOND LEVY BE BEFORE THE VOTERS TO DECIDE IF YOU'RE GOING TO GET THE REMAINDER OF YOUR MONEY TO PAY FOR THIS?
REMEMBER FOLKS.....YOU VOTED TO GIVE THEM THE 45 MIL TO RELEASE THE BONDS TO BUILD THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS. TIME HAS PASSED. DO YOU THINK THE DISTRICT'S PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN WORTH THE MONEY OUTLAY TO WARRANT THE APPROVAL? IF NOT, ARE YOU WILLING TO GIVE THEM ANOTHER 3.9 MIL TO SEE MORE OF THE SAME? HAVE THEY EARNED YOUR TAX DOLLARS SO FAR? THINK BEFORE YOU VOTE YES.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 10:46am
Anyone, 
Do you know what the 3.9mils will cost the the average property owners?
Itsa me, mario!
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 2:12pm
Itsame, a 3.9 mil levy would cost $136.56 per year per $100,000 of property value. I believe the average home in Middletown is valued at less than $100,000, but that is the standard used to show the financial impact of levies.

The exact amount of the bond levy to be put on the ballot for vote has not yet been determined.

Marcia Andrew
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 2:36pm
Ms. Andrew, 
So, give or take, 10-15 bucks a month on average.  All in all, that is not terrible.  If one wanted to support the schools they could give up a meal out or something similar per month, yadda, yadda. 

My main questions is, what are the needs of the school district going forward? Will there be another levy coming up anytime soon? As a newer home owner here (been here for just a couple years) I already think my property taxes are a tad on the high side, but it is what it is.  I just want to know if there is going to be an additional operating levy anytime in the near future.  If so, could this be combined with the bond levy?  Kind of get it all out of the way at once?  

Please don't take this as a snarky response or anything, I truly want to know.

Thanks, 

-itsamee
Itsa me, mario!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 3:47pm
"If so, could this be combined with the bond levy? Kind of get it all out of the way at once?"

itsamee, with all due respect and not to be a smart a-- here, I'd like to offer this comment in response to your statement.....

We never will get it all out of the way at once.......I've been living with the way the Middletown schools do business with regard to their levies for decades and have seen the tactics used to approach the voters many times. Alot of promises.....alot of unfulfilled ones too.

It is always an emergency levy, a temporary levy, a permanent levy, an operating levy, a bond levy or any other reason to tack on a levy to the property owners wallet. The district use to be worth the money decades ago with respect to ROI. Now, not so much IMO. Yes, it is an acknowledged fact that Middletown property taxes are high. Someone reported here that they are the second highest in Butler County and that encompasses West Chester ahd Hamilton properties. Are we getting a good ROI for the money we have given them? That is up to each individual. I don't wish to spend one more penny on them until they start showing me some significant improvements in all categories. The schools are a shadow of themeselves since I went through them in the 50's and 60's. Use to be respected in the area. Now........

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 4:44pm
Itsamee,
I would be suprised if the school board put two levy's on the same ballot.  By law it would have to be two issues since the money cannot be comingled.  The last I heard the board wanted to put the bond issue on the ballet soon so that the district would have the funds in place once their number was called by the state.  However, this was put on hold until the state resolves how much their contribution will be.  Since Middletown started in the program the tax base has dropped so much that Middletown now qualifies for more state funds.  However, current law requires that Middletown stay at the 26%.  If our state representative has success in changing the law the bond levy may be for very little money.

I would  be suprised if the board would be pursuing additional operating money for at least a few years.  However, a lot will depend on the outcome of the state budget.  Kasich had proposed additional money for districts such as Middletown but the legislature appears to be reducing the amount.  The more the district can get from the state, the longer they will be able to hold out and not ask for addtional operating money.  They have done a great job reducing their budget, my recollection is over $6 million per year reduction, but at some point they will need additional money since their costs will increase but their revenue won't.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 8:00pm
Other elementary schools are bearing the burden of High View being changed to a sixth grade center.
enough is enough View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 10:26pm
I like everyone else do not want to see my taxes go up. However if you have not walked the halls of the middle school lately it has long passed its time. The track above the old gym was deemed unsafe, the wiring is pitiful at best, The restrooms are not in the best of shape. Etc. Etc.
As far as reaching those indicators, what makes you think the grades are going to go up when the city is attracting nothing but people looking for a free hand out such as section 8. In order to raise test scores you actually have to have a clientele that actually gives a dang about education.

Ms. Andrew 
The forty-five acres at the high school is this the property that Manchester Tech currently sits on or is this where the baseball fields are located just looking for some clarification?
Enough is Enough
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 8:57am
Itsamee, we have been pushing off the need for a new operating levy by reducing our expenses to match the reduction in state and federal revenues. We should not need a new operating levy in the next few years if the assumptions we are making in our five-year forecast hold true, but alot depends on things outside our control, like the state budget for education.  We are making additional cuts now for the next school year because we expect to lose 1.2 million in federal funds as a result of sequestration. If you would like more detailed information about our finances, you could watch the first part of our May 6th board meeting, which will be shown on TV Middletown and you can also link to a video of it from our website. Also on the website is the 5-year forecast document. Go to middletowncityschools.com, board of education, Board Docs, then choose the May 6 2013 meeting.

Enough is enough, I believe the 45 acres refers to the size of the entire high school site.  There are several ways to fit in a new middle school, but the layout that was shown to us that appears to make the most sense was to put a middle school (with a middle school practice football field) where the baseball and softball fields currently are, and then move those ball fields over to the corner where the Manchester building and its parking spaces are right now. That would group most of the athletic areas together in a park-like setting. The Manchester building would come down. An addition would be built on to the front of the high school for the classroom space that is currently used by high school students at Manchester, resulting in a much better security situation. A new competition gym for basketball would be built next to the existing high school gym (the state standards allow for two high school gyms for a student body the size of Middletown).
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 9:00am
Processor, 
Thanks for the clarification.

Enough is enough, 
I agree with your comments on Vail.  That building is well beyond usefulness. It is a beautiful classic building, but it cannot come close to dealing with today's codes.  

Vet,  
I understand what you are saying as well. It is hard to look at the "climate" and think, "lets pour more money into the system!"  I really wish there was a better way to fund schools. The current setup seems ridiculous. As a property tax payer, it is unfair to us to foot pretty much the entire bill. That being said, I try and look beyond what is fed to us from the paper and even the state. The "report cards" etc that come out are kind dumb.  They basically assure a district teaches to the test and then punishes the district and its students for failing to meet certain criteria beyond its control.  For example, why do we punish the student with the 4.0 gpa because another student has chosen to drop out or fails the test because they dont care? 
Its a paradox and one has to vote based on their own opinions. 
Itsa me, mario!
enough is enough View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:35am
Still not sure why the need to put a weight room at Barnitz? Took a tour of Edgewood High School their weight room is incorporated into the new gym where all student athletes have access to use the facility. There is also a weight room at  Middletown Middle School that only the high school basketball team gets to use. Why not combine all the weight equipment that we presently have so that all athletes and phys ed classes have access to this equipment?
Enough is Enough
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 6:23am
WAS THERE ANY DOUBT.....

Plans move ahead for new middle school
Middletown to create campus with middle school next to high school.

MIDDLETOWN —
The school district’s facilities master plan is officially updated with plans to build a new middle school next to the high school.

The school board on June 24 approved an amended master plan to reflect the change. The plan had previously called for the two-story middle school to be built on the 39-acre site of the former George M. Verity Middle School on Johns Road.

George Long, business manager, said the high school’s 45-acre site on Breiel Boulevard can now accommodate a middle school because the district plans to demolish the Manchester and Tiger Ellison buildings. The services and classes offered in those buildings will be moved into the high school once an additional 75,600 square feet of classroom space is added

WONDER WHAT THE LONG TIME ATHLETIC SUPPORTERS OF MIDDLETOWN SPORTS THINK ABOUT TEARING DOWN THE FOOTBALL COMPLEX DEDICATED TO TIGER ELLISON? AND PRAY TELL, WHERE WILL THE BALL DIAMONDS GO? SOCCER FIELD? FOOTBALL PRACTICE FIELD?

ALSO WONDER HOW THE PEOPLE IN THE SUBDIVISION NEXT TO THE BALL DIAMONDS WILL LIKE LOOKING AT THE LARGE 2 STORY BUILDING THAT WILL BE PLACED IN THEIR BACKYARD? KINDA CUTS DOWN ON THE VIEW, RIGHT?

I LIKE THIS FROM MCNEIL.....

Board member Katie McNeil said she’s been receiving lots of comments and feedback from residents on the revised construction plan.

“It’s great to see that there’s excitement here, positive reaction and optimistic reports of how this can benefit our students to have a campus of a middle school and high school together,” McNeil said.

YES INDEED, EVERYTHING'S ALRIGHT IN MIDDIELAND ACCORDING TO MCNEIL INCLUDING EXCITEMENT, POSITIVE REACTIONS AND OPTIMISTIC REPORTS.....IT DON'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS. QUESTION....DID SHE ASK ONLY THE PEOPLE THAT SHE KNEW WOULD GIVE HER THESE REACTIONS OR DID SHE BOTHER TO ASK PEOPLE OUTSIDE HER "COMFORT ZONE" FOR THEIR OPINION? IF SO, HOW DOES SHE KNOW THAT THIS IS THE TRUE PULSE OF THE COMMUNITY?
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2013 at 12:59pm
Vet,
Why do you think that the new middle school would be built where the ball fields are?  Have you seen the plans?  I always assumed that the middle school would be built where the current Manchester is but I haven't seen the plans.

Regarding the athletic facility I thought that the plan was to, through private funds, re-hab Barnitz Field and move a lot of it there.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by processor processor wrote:

Vet,
Why do you think that the new middle school would be built where the ball fields are?  Have you seen the plans?  I always assumed that the middle school would be built where the current Manchester is but I haven't seen the plans.

Regarding the athletic facility I thought that the plan was to, through private funds, re-hab Barnitz Field and move a lot of it there.

TAKEN FROM THE JOURNAL STORY.....

"Preliminary sketches have included placing the new middle school on the current softball and baseball fields and rebuilding the diamonds on the corner of Breiel Boulevard and Manchester Road to create an open concept."

IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, THE SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL FIELDS ARE ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE HIGH SCHOOL AND THEREFORE, BACKUP TO THE BACKYARDS OF THE HOUSES THAT BORDER THE DIAMONDS. CORRECT?

AND WITH THE BALL DIAMONDS OUT BY MANCHESTER ROAD, WON'T THERE BE SOME FOUL BALLS TARGETING CARS?

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2013 at 4:44pm
You're absolutely right.  I missed that in the description.  Thanks  I see your point now for the homeowners.

Seems kind of silly to me to move perfectly good ball fields and pay to rebuild them when they could stay where they are.  The middle school could have two "fronts".  One facing Manchester, or Breiel, and the other facing the "open concept" ball fields, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic