Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Plant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2014 at 3:00pm
I think Trotwood is joking a bit but, if not, I would agree there is a tacky element to the Monroe exit.  I'm not sure they could've prevented some of it though.  Who would have guessed a mega-church would move in and build that statue?  As for the Hustler and the flea markets, maybe better zoning would have helped but I don't know the history there.  I would imagine at some point if development continues the flea market owners may sell the land to developers for "better" commercial development.  We'll see.
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

"I didn't realize we had grid reliability issues...?" Trotwood

Yes we do have brownouts and blackouts out here on the east end of Middletown. A good thunderstorm or windstorm can knock out power. 

Interesting. Good to know Mr. Beagle, thanks!
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Now wait a minute Trotwood. Don't understand the assault on Monroe and the defense of Middletown as to the successes and failures of each.

Monroe has come a long way from a 1950's cornfield burg with limited population and limited potential to a community that is building, albeit slowly, with a nice school system, developed from scratch, to businesses moving in their industrial parks, to a city that is run much better, with clearer objectives than Middletown at this time.

Monroe's entrance to their city off of I-75 is alot more interesting and offers more than Middletown does at this point in time. Monroe has demonstrated that their approach to city development has much more competence than Middletown. I don't see Monroe with tunnel vision development of their downtown area as is the case with Middletown. Middletown's leaders seem to have placed the east end/I-75 corridor areas in the back seat and have placed the area 7 miles to the west as the sacred cow for development. Just don't understand that thinking. Monroe seems to have been smarter in it's development program by focusing on two or more fronts from the I-75 entrance to the industrial parks on Rt 63 as you approach Yankee Rd.

Actually, at this time, while I am a Middletown native, have been around for 66 years off and on, and care about Middletown (THE WAY IT USE TO BE), looking at the way the two are run, I would prefer to live in Monroe to get away from the lunatics running the asylum formally known as Middletown. This new breed of Middletown leadership are totally lost, totally useless and mis-focused and don't have a clue what the people of Middletown want for their city. I get the feeling that the Monroe leadership is much better connected with the people they represent. Would actually have to live there to confirm that statement though.

Very sorry about the late reply Vietvet.

Anyways, here is fundamentally where we differ. I don't consider either of us to be "right" or "wrong", it's just a different perspective on what is progress and what is not. Let me explain:

You see Monroe "growing" from a small 4-block town surrounded by cornfields into the city of 10,000+ it is today as "progress". And although this is economic progress in a sense, it's also not if you look at the sum total of the region.

Population and economic growth in SW Ohio is virtually stagnant. So when one community builds, it's often at the expense of another. And when the kinds of places being built are ones that are built using cheap construction methods that lack quality (like pin-up industrial construction, pre-fabricated housing, 2x4 constructed vinyl sided houses, etc.) then I have an issue with it. Because that means we are decreasing our standard of living in the region, not increasing it. Every time a nice Cape Cod near downtown Middletown is demolished for a Ryan Homes - built house with half the material value on a half-acre plat in Monroe, I see it as a sign we are collectively taking a step backwards.

Vietvet, you said you care about the way Middletown used to be. I wasn't around for it, but I would also like an era where similar communities could be built. Heck, Middletown is one of the very few places where remnants of the kind of community built around tight-knit, friendly neighborhoods - look at all of the hole-in-the-wall bars that still operate on residential streets in solidly working-class neighborhoods. If you look at other cities like Hamilton, Dayton, etc. you won't see the same. That's uniquely Middletown, and something like that sure as heck couldn't exist in Monroe. 

Imagine if people once again valued being able to walk to the neighborhood pub, hardware store, butcher, grocer, diner, etc. once again. It can happen, but first communities have to be built properly for it. They can't be the faceless, throwaway, Idiocracy-style domains we are creating now like Monroe. They have to be built for mixed uses, organically, and carefully, like Middletown. Not like Monroe.

And it's starting to happen. In baby steps. Look to Carriage Hill in Liberty Twp., Liberty Town Center, the new Union Village at the Otterbein retirement community, even Settler's Walk in Springboro for a current example. People are starting to value living in a more walkable, connected, and diverse communities (and no, I'm not explicitly talking about race - economic diversity among other forms counts too for me). 

The way Middletown is already built in most spots is light years ahead of these places. So that's one of the reasons why I rail on AK Steel, and this new power plant, and anything else in town that causes massive amounts of pollution. In order to create a healthy environment where people want to get out of their cars and walk around their neighborhoods and talk to one another, you have to have clean air for people to breathe, clean water and ground for children to play on, and clean streets as enforced by proper policing so people can feel safe but not threatened in their neighborhood. 

If Middletown cleaned up its act, it could be something amazing. Heck, look at the strides places like Kettering and Hamilton are already taking. Economic development is booming, older houses are being restored, property values are going up, schools are getting better, and more people are choosing to move in. Then look at places that were built with very similar demographics and by very similar means as Monroe is today - Forest Park, Colerain, West Carrollton - they're not doing as well. 

So I see a future, if Middletown is careful in its current strategy, where it can be the garden spot of the region. A place where people want to live, just like Liberty Twp. is now. And I don't see any future like that whatsoever for Monroe. With the way it was developed out, it'll just be thrown to the trash heap of development in 30 years like those old cheaply-built houses in West Carrollton are now. And all Trader's World, the racetrack, Hustler Hollywood, et. al. isn't going to help its case.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2015 at 6:55pm
Middletown to consider tax abatements for power plant
By Ed Richter

Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
Middletown City Council will have a short meeting Friday morning to consider the approval of two emergency ordinances in regard to the NTE project.

The meeting is set for 7:30 a.m. in Conference Room 2C on the second floor of the Middletown City Building.

The only two items on the agenda include a proposed emergency ordinance to authorize an agreement with NTE Ohio LLC for water and sewer services along with a second ordinance approving the agreement with NTE Ohio, LLC providing for the construction of an electric power generation facility as a development project and tax exemption through the State Urban Jobs and Enterprise Zone program.

The legislation was slated to be considered at council’s March 17 meeting but were pulled because the city did not provide the required 14 days notice to the Middletown Board of Education as it regarded consideration of a tax abatement. The city administration is requesting council approve both ordinances as emergencies so the company can finalize the financial package by March 31, city officials said.

The enterprise zone agreement calls for the city to grant NTE Ohio a 10-year, 75 percent tax abatement for the approximately $500 million project to be constructed west of the Greentree Business Park.

The company is expected to hire about 25 new full-time permanent employees with an estimated annual payroll of $2.15 million and generate $36,000 a year in city income taxes after the plant starts operations, according to city officials.

During the abatement period, the school district would receive a reimbursement of 50 percent of the city income taxes collected as required by state law. According to the enterprise zone agreement, NTE Ohio has agreed to reimburse the city for the income tax sharing requirements to the school district. The total value of this portion of this agreement is projected to be $400,000 or more a year over the term of the abatement.

The project is estimated to generate $24 million in payroll during the three-year construction period.

The city is also working on a contract to provide water and sewer services to the plant. Once in operation, NTE Ohio would be the city’s largest water user at 2.1 million gallons a day.
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2015 at 8:14pm
Just another "Act of Desperation"...mercy
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2015 at 8:39pm
Why do this? NTE locked in to location associated with the tap in pipe existing, so city has a rather captive position.

Hmmm....isn't the $400,000 Doug Adkins was indicating the city would use to pave streets, one time payment. So, the city is throwing away money available w/o need for tax incentives while being quoted in Journal plans were to use it for road repair, Breihel wasn't it?

City playing tax abatement catch up, and its too far behind to catch up. Well, they do have the cash cow school buildings to cling to.   
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2015 at 10:45pm
Besides providing the state of California much needed water, the city is re-activating the water line because it expects to make quite a bit of annual money from NTE from water; in fact, more so than property and income tax.

It is for NTE that the city is exploring the back-up water line. And, Governor Brown is playing well on water desperately needed as CA has been in a drought for 5 consecutive years.   
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 6:18am
Factguy, I see you're still going with that California water supplying story. That 10 mil ain't gonna happen with the DC-3 delivery system you had described earlier. Too slow, too little delivery per load and too much fuel and maint. costs. Pipe dream at best. It is quite entertaining to read about all the circus schemes and sorry attempts at revenue generation in this cash strapped city. First, it was Fed HUD money obtained by making the city a freebie, hand-out, low income ghetto. Now, the latest and greatest is selling water? What's next? Wonder why your pals at the city building just don't do it the way everyone else does it through job creation, payroll and corporate taxes? Past history has shown us that the econ. dev. dept. doesn't have a successful plan that would make a real impact for the city. Not nearly enough jobs created to offset the money spending habits of the city leaders and to maintain the basics like road repair, infrastructure and safety.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 9:52am
Here's another project the city has been working the past 6 months, that can generate over $ 3 Million in direct tax revenue and ancillary benefit. Lufthansa Airlines has one training center for pilot certification located in Arizona. Hook Field is perfectly suited for a second site east coast based, and closer to Cologne, Germany, Lufthansa Airlines headquarters. This to date, has been viewed very positively by company executives.

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 10:17am
Not again

Middletown to consider tax abatements for power plant

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Here's another project the city has been working the past 6 months, that can generate over $ 3 Million in direct tax revenue and ancillary benefit. Lufthansa Airlines has one training center for pilot certification located in Arizona. Hook Field is perfectly suited for a second site east coast based, and closer to Cologne, Germany, Lufthansa Airlines headquarters. This to date, has been viewed very positively by company executives.</span><div style="border: 0px; line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style="border: 0px; line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">http://www.atca.net/   

Mercy.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 11:19am
The reason so much flight training occurs in Arizona is the perfect year round weather for it.  Ohio, nor the East Coast, has that advantage.
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 11:33am
We also lack a depression treatment center which apparently Lufthansa needs...
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 12:29pm
Frightening isn't it.

Hop on a plane for a short hour flight. Can't imagine the horror those poor souls experienced. Airline captain taking axe in futile attempt to break down door. What a crazed world it has become. Hop on an Amtrak and find conductor had too much to drink. Live is an assisted living facility, and find your caregiver is a psychopath, with a bent on murder (Howe). Drive in a limo around town, after surviving reporting in the worst areas on the planet, and become killed, as the driver was drunk (CBS news correspondent and 60 Minute reporter). Hop on a plane and go down in the Pacific, when pilot was found to be a sex offender, and was to be fired, after this last flight (Egyptian Air).

Recently watched Alone in The Wilderness. Nice documentary.  Something to be said about living in Alaska in a cabin. Obama doing deal with madmen in Iran, giving them nuclear bomb path, and all sit idle as if these events don't occur. Its becoming too hard to discern who lives in the quack cage; sane or insane?  
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 1:46pm
FG: perhaps the true message is individuals need to take time to deliberate the capabilities and stability of the person they put their trust. This includes bus drivers, pilots, conductors, neighbors, council members, board members, and management. In simpler terms, fate may lie in those whom are harmful when on first blush, we think we are in safe hands. Many times, we are betrayed.   
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2015 at 10:40pm

Updated: 5:31 p.m. Friday, March 27, 2015 | Posted: 6:26 p.m. Thursday, March 26, 2015

Middletown approves tax abatements for power plant

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Middletown City Council on Friday morning approved a pair of emergency ordinances to enable a proposed electric power generation facility to move forward in its development plans.

Council approved an emergency ordinance to authorize an agreement with NTE Ohio LLC for water and sewer services, as well as along with a second emergency ordinance approving an enterprise zone agreement with NTE Ohio, LLC providing for the construction of an electric power generation facility as a development project and tax exemption through the State Urban Jobs and Enterprise Zone program.

The two pieces of legislation were slated to be considered at council’s March 17 meeting. However, they were pulled because the city did not provide the required 14-day notice to the Middletown Board of Education as it regarded the consideration of a tax abatement. The city administration had requested council approve both ordinances as emergencies so that they took immediate effect. Friday’s action also enabled the company to finalize the financial package by March 31, city officials said.

The enterprise zone agreement calls for the city to grant NTE Ohio a 10-year, 75 percent tax abatement for the approximately $500 million project to be constructed west of the Greentree Business Park.

The company is expected to hire about 25 new full-time permanent employees with an estimated annual payroll of $2.15 million and generate $36,000 a year in city income taxes after the plant starts operations, according to city officials.

During the abatement period, the school district would receive a reimbursement of 50 percent of the city income taxes collected as required by state law. According to the enterprise zone agreement, NTE Ohio has agreed to reimburse the city for the income tax sharing requirements to the school district. The total value of this portion of this agreement is projected to be $400,000 or more a year over the term of the abatement.

The project is estimated to generate $24 million in payroll during the three-year construction period. During this time there will be an estimated 200 full-time temporary construction jobs created.

The city is also working on a contract to provide water and sewer services to the plant. Once in operation, NTE Ohio would be the city’s largest water user at 2.1 million gallons a day.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 4:54pm
Hello: Who's asleep at the wheel?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 6:53pm
over the hill...
They are not even on the bus..mercy
Past time to empty City Hall
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 8:16pm
How stupid can you people get??
Seriously though. Might as well start giving racketeers and drug lords tax credits while you're at it.

~Trotwood.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2015 at 10:04am
limo driver?
reminds me of a local story....

Rev.Billy Graham was to do a series in Cincy, but decided to fly in to Hook Field and limo to the event. Driver picked him up, and started to exit the airport, when Rev.Graham commented, "Sir--there is one thing that I have always wanted to do, and that is drive a limosine. Would you allow me to drive?". The driver knew that this was against all rules, but considered the person making the request. "Well--OK" he replied, and they switched seats, with the driver in the dark-windowed rear. "One more request--Can I wear the chauffer's cap?" stated Rev.Graham. "Abosulutely" replied the driver.

Well--it took Rev.Graham 30 seconds to trip a red light camera and get pulled over for speeding by one of Middietown's finest police officers.
Rev.Graham rolled down his window and stated, "What can I do for you, my son?". The officer immediately recognized the driver, and was not sure what to do. He excused himself to check with superiors how to handle the situation.

He called the shift commander and stated, "I have a high profile person pulled over for traffic violations, and am wondering what to do." Shift leader said "Oh no--it isn't the Mayor drunk again?". Officer replied "Oh no--much bigger than that." Leader answered, "Rep.Boehner with a car full of girls?" Again the officer stated, "Oh no--much bigger than that." "Governor?" said the shift leader, "I have the Chief on the line--talk to him". Chief replied, "No one from State in the area, it must be Federal--is that it?"

Once again, the officer replied, "Oh no--much bigger than that." The Chief was puzzled and replied "Bigger? Well--who is it?".

Officer answered, "Chief, it must be the second coming of Jesus, because Rev.Billy Graham is driving the limo!"

nice Easter story with local flavor
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 4:55pm
MJ:
Funding needs closed before Middletown power plant construction starts

By Chelsey Levingston
Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
The company planning to build a $500 million natural-gas fired power plant in Middletown is continuing to work to close the financing deal with lenders to pay for the project, but still expects construction to begin this summer.

Project Developer Michael Schuster of Florida-based NTE Energy LLC gave this news outlet the latest update this week.

“We’re working towards the late June time frame now,” Schuster said. “It’s all moving along really well.”

At the end of March, Middletown City Council approved an emergency ordinance to authorize an agreement with NTE for water and sewer services. A second emergency ordinance approved at the same time was for an enterprise zone agreement with the company that will provide property tax incentives. The city will grant NTE a 10-year, 75 percent tax abatement on its property tax bills, although the company will still make a payment to the school district.

Plans were first announced last year to build the power plant in Middletown, and later those plans easily passed several key regulatory approvals from Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and Ohio Power Siting Board.

If everything moves forward, NTE Energy plans to start construction this year and open in 2018, producing more than 500 megawatts of electric power year-round. The power plant could be built near the intersection of Cincinnati-Dayton and Oxford State roads.

It would provide a cleaner source of energy to the region’s electricity supplies, company executives previously said.

So far, NTE Energy has: received an air permit from Ohio Environmental Protection Agency; received a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility and Public Need from the Ohio Power Siting Board to construct an electric generating facility; received approval of its application to Ohio Power Siting Board for Middletown Energy Center’s electrical interconnection; and completed the Feasibility Study and System Impact Study of PJM’s three-part study process, looking at the project’s ability to interconnect to the electric system, according to the company.

PJM Interconnection operates the region’s transmission grid and serves 61 million people in 13 states, including Ohio and the District of Columbia.

Before NTE Energy can start construction, it must still: complete the Facilities Study with PJM; finalize the project’s financing; and once the financing closes, the general contractor will complete its design of the power plant and obtain the remaining approvals from the city to start construction, Schuster has said.

Projections are that the equivalent of 200 full-time temporary construction jobs will be created in the city as a result of the approximately $500 million power plant build. Those jobs will generate a total payroll of about $24 million between this summer and the power plant’s opening in 2018. Estimates call for the creation of 300 to 400 total jobs for people including full- and part-time work at a peak.

Once built, the power plant will hire about 25 permanent employees for ongoing operations and maintenance. Those workers will generate about $2.2 million in new annual payroll, generating an additional $36,500 a year in revenues for city coffers, according to a staff report prepared for city council to consider financial incentives.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2015 at 5:13pm
MJ:
Construction of $500M power plant in Middletown weeks away

By Chelsey Levingston
Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
Construction on a more than $500 million natural gas-fired power plant in the city could be only weeks away, according to the project’s developer NTE Energy.

NTE Energy of St. Augustine, Fla., plans to build the power plant near the intersection of Cincinnati-Dayton and Oxford State roads. Once Middletown Energy Center opens in 2018, it could produce more than 500 megawatts of electric power year-round and provide a cleaner source of energy to the region’s electricity supplies.

Only two major steps stand in the way of beginning construction: closing a deal on financing to help pay for the cost of the project; and signing an Interconnection Service Agreement with PJM and an Interconnection Construction Service Agreement with Duke Energy Ohio, which owns the transmission lines, according to Michael Schuster, project developer for NTE Energy. PJM Interconnection operates the region’s transmission grid and serves 61 million people in 13 states, including Ohio and the District of Columbia.

Meanwhile, other major hurdles in the project’s development have been crossed, such as completing a facilities study with PJM, the final step in a three-part process looking at the project’s ability to interconnect to the electric system, Schuster said. Also, NTE has reached a contract with Gemma Power Systems of Connecticut to construct the facility.

“The evaluation and selection of the (engineering, procurement and construction) contractor is a major milestone in the development of the project,” Schuster said in an email. “Completing this activity is key to the completion of the development effort and closing of financing for the project.”

Plans were first announced last year to build the power plant in Middletown, and later those plans easily passed several key regulatory approvals from Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and Ohio Power Siting Board.

Projections are that the equivalent of 200 full-time temporary construction jobs will be created in the city while the power plant is built, according to a Middletown city staff report. Those jobs will generate total payroll of about $24 million between this summer and the power plant’s opening in 2018. Estimates call for the creation of 300 to 400 total jobs for people including full- and part-time work at a peak.

Once built, the power plant will hire about 25 permanent employees for ongoing operations and maintenance. Those workers will generate about $2.2 million in new annual payroll, generating an additional $36,500 a year in revenues for city coffers, according to the staff report prepared for a city council meeting in March.

There have already been economic benefits of the project for the city, said Middletown Economic Development Director Denise Hamet. Every time NTE company officials visit Middletown as part of the development process, they spend money on local hotels and dining, Hamet said. Once construction starts, the city will collect taxes on payroll for construction workers, and those workers will also be staying nearby and eating at area restaurants as well, she said.

“Getting the contractor on board is a huge step and then closing on the financing… opens the door to starting construction,” she said.

The Kleingers Group of West Chester Twp., a civil engineering firm, has worked on the project for over a year providing surveying, master planning and design services for the site.

As far as Jim Kleingers knows, the firm’s president and chief executive officer, and Middletown resident, it’s the company’s first power plant project.

“It’s probably a top five percenter in terms of our mix of product type and revenue from a project, so it was a nice, high-profile job we’re proud to be a part of,” Kleingers said.
SEEKING THE TRUTH View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEEKING THE TRUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2015 at 7:30pm
Any development that brings jobs and new construction to the city is better than none
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Trotwood Trotwood wrote:

How stupid can you people get??
Seriously though. Might as well start giving racketeers and drug lords tax credits while you're at it.

~Trotwood.

We already do its called section 8, food stamps and medicaid.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2015 at 5:07pm
Construction on Middletown power plant to start ‘immediately’

By Chelsey Levingston
Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
After closing a financing deal Friday, construction on a natural gas-fired power plant in the city will start “immediately,” according to the project’s developer NTE Energy.

Lenders and business partners committed approximately $645 million to the project, according to the company. Previously stated cost estimates were $500 million.

NTE Energy of St. Augustine, Fla., plans to build the power plant near the intersection of Cincinnati-Dayton and Oxford State roads. Once Middletown Energy Center opens in 2018, NTE officials have previously said it could produce more than 500 megawatts of electric power year-round and provide a cleaner source of energy to the region’s electricity supplies.

Financing represented the last major hurdle in the way of facility construction starting.

“We are very excited to have hit the important milestone and we’re looking forward to getting the Middletown Energy Center project constructed,” Michael Schuster, project developer for NTE, told Journal-News on Friday.

NTE has also signed an Interconnection Service Agreement with PJM and an Interconnection Construction Service Agreement with Duke Energy Ohio, which owns the transmission lines, according to Schuster. PJM Interconnection operates the region’s transmission grid and serves 61 million people in 13 states, including Ohio and the District of Columbia.

Construction of an access road to the property has already been completed, Schuster said. Site work will continue on infrastructure such as water and sewer lines, stormwater lines and a natural gas pipeline lateral to connect to a main pipeline, he said.

With the project now fully funded, Gemma Power Systems of Connecticut — the engineering, procurement and construction contractor that specializes in power and renewable energy projects selected for the Middletown power plant — can begin building the facility, he said.

The city of Middletown will partner with Monroe to coordinate construction traffic, said Denise Hamet, economic development director of Middletown.

“This is an exciting day in Middletown,” Hamet said. “It just shows confidence in Middletown that a project of this magnitude could be constructed.”

“It’s going to have a pretty far reaching benefit… this is where energy is going (to clean energy),” Hamet said.

Projections are that the equivalent of 200 full-time temporary construction jobs will be created in the city while the power plant is built, according to a Middletown city staff report. Those jobs will generate total payroll of about $24 million between now and the power plant’s opening in 2018. Estimates call for the creation of 300 to 400 total jobs for people including full- and part-time work at a peak.

Once built, the power plant will hire about 25 permanent employees for ongoing operations and maintenance. Those workers will generate about $2.2 million in new annual payroll, generating an additional $36,500 a year in revenues for city coffers, according to the staff report prepared for a city council meeting in March.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic