FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BOARD APPOVES ISON'S REHIRE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BOARD APPOVES ISON'S REHIRE
    Posted: Jan 26 2015 at 9:21pm

Posted: 8:32 p.m. Monday, Jan. 26, 2015

SCHOOL SPENDING

Board approves Middletown superintendent’s retire/rehire

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Despite reservations from union members, the Middletown City Schools District board of education unanimously approved the retirement and rehiring of its superintendent.

More than 100 of the 400 Middletown Teachers’ Association union members — just as the previous board meeting — attended Monday’s meeting and voiced their displeasure with Superintendent Sam Ison’s performance during the past two years. The union members filled the city’s council chambers, with the overflow crowd sitting in the balcony.

After the vote, most of those in attendance left the meeting.

Ison said he was “honored and very humbled” after the board showed its confidence in his performance. Ison, 58, who has served as superintendent for two years, will retire on June 30, 2015, then be rehired July 2, said Marcia Andrew, school board president.

Andrew said the retire/rehire will save the district money because it won’t have to hire an interim superintendent. Ison also has volunteered to surrender two months of his retirement that will save the district an undisclosed amount of money, she said.

Ison has agreed to return for $120,000 a year and eliminate his 5 percent bonus, which will save the district about $12,000 a year, Andrew said. Ison’s 2014 salary was $123,791.   The contract is for three years with a possibility of a fourth year.

Also, Andrew said, the board is allowed to give Ison a 90-day notice, then fire him without cause with no severance.

Ison has said he wants to remain superintendent because he’s seeing improvements in the district’s academics and residents recently passed a bond issue and improvement levy that will fund the building of a new middle school and renovating Middletown High School.

“He does care and he wants the district to succeed,” Andrew said.

Ison said he hopes the emotions shown by the union “can drive actions.”

He promised to improve communications between the administration and the district’s staff. He also wants to periodically meet with the faculty council and improve the climate and professional development in the district.

Ison called communication “a two-way and I am reaching out.”

He then addressed the teachers in the room: “I do believe in you.”

Before the vote, Terry Cole said he graduated from MHS, then earned his bachelor’s and masters degrees from Miami University with the goal of returning to Middletown as a science teacher. He has taught in the district for six years and he had planned to stay until he retired, he told the board.

Now, he said: “I can’t imaging staying right now.”

He called losing quality teachers “sickening” before adding, “I don’t feel valued by the downtown administration. We feel like we are inadequate. It’s a negative climate.”

Two members of the Middletown community voiced their support of Ison. Rick Pearce, president of the Chamber of Commerce Serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton, called   Ison “very compelling” and said his enthusiasm is contagious.

Peggy McClusky, who worked for Middletown City Schools for 28 years, said she has been a friend of Ison’s for 20 years, and she encouraged him to leave the Lebanon district and accept the administration position in Middletown.

“I don’t know anybody better,” she said. She called Ison “hard working and a dedicated” person.

seemingly powerless View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seemingly powerless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 2:30am
I would love to see the pros and cons sheets of the school board members. They must be out of their minds. The few, who do not teach, decide to throw their most valuable asset in the "we do not care" pile, and the superintendent under the bus. How will this district improve now that everyone has a vote of no confidence.
once you know what the right thing is to do, it should be impossible not to do so.....Seemingly Powerless
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 6:28am
Ison choice was a done deal a long time ago. Let the double dipping begin. They love the man as he got their bond levy approved, which is why they hire a super in this city. Apparently has nothing to do with improving the academics in a reasonable amount of time. Not important.

Ison doesn't appear as if he plays well with others if there is such discontent in the teacher ranks. The teacher turnover doesn't give him a ringing endorsement either. If the worker bees aren't happy it can make the management look awfully bad as to the performance of the district. Perhaps management hasn't learned that lesson as yet.

To save 12 grand, this school board was willing to sacrifice contentment and cooperation between admin and teacher. Incredible. I would have thought that the members of the school board would have been smarter than that. Now, a continuation of the revolving door with teachers leaving and new, unsuspecting teachers entering the adversarial working world Ison has created. They will stay until they find out what the game is.

His claims that the district is improving isn't supported by the data reported. It is all false positive, rosy rhetoric coming from school leaders who have a way of twisting the actual facts to deceive the members of the public so that they get what they want. Most of the public don't care as evidenced by the lack of levy voter turnout and vocal discontent at the continual poor performance.

More of the same from people who will never change the failed game plan. And we drift ever closer to the iceberg heading toward the abyss.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 7:03am
OK--we have a super(unanimously approved--same as the old super) and we have admin and teachers in place. We have a structure and plan to follow/adhere. No more excuses, waiting, scapegoating or whining. Get the job done--together and individually. If someone is unhappy and wants to leave, then they should leave, and without drama.

Business models, job situations, personal situations seldom play out perfectly or as planned. Owners/supervisors/laborers are human, usually try their best and hope that it the results are favorable.

The team is set--We need improvement and expect improvement in every area. Let's see it happen!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 9:13am
I think I'm done with expect improvements....it's time to demand improvements.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 9:25am
Wow! The BOE  dodged a bullet!

I mean, 75-80% of teachers fill out a survey indicating they want change in leadership.

But....the BOE voted to do the 2x dip, because he put the pieces to barely pass a levy, about 21 votes, and can coast until the new school is built justifying the needle stuck where it is, awaiting new schools arising, then when that fails to elevate scores, no harm, no foul, he gets his 4-5 years of dip benefit, and moves on.

More importantly, the BOE did not have to go through the rigor of finding a pool of one other candidate and training he/she, on holding those voting blocks intact. MUM students really help got the last one passed. They know how to target those that don't get stuck with the tab to pass these.

sj, you'll be waiting a long time to see that performance gap filled imo. But who cares? When the Chamber of Commerce is the spokesperson for support in a second dip, the levy was about commerce, pumping hundreds on $ Mm locally for contractors and services, not education, not results.   

Lets get that 2.25% tax coming, use a % to set up a heroin clinic, and pump the arms showing the circle knows how to build great voting blocks to 'get er done.' But there is some good news. We learned  not only are residents not valued nor listened to downtown, but also teachers. Misery loves company.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 9:42am
Acclaro
Once again you hit the nail on the head...
I'm to the point of just shaking my head when I read this stuff while
I wonder "what are they seeing that I'm not seeing?"
Yep...it's time to "hunker down and get er done."
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 9:51am
You hear, see, hear, the news stations, state, nation, national magazines, neighbors, newspapers, indicate Middletown is in decline, dying. You think this has to change, its simply unacceptable. It can't continue.

They see survival, a need to cling to power, tax, tax, tax, posse their voting circles, and keep life as they have known it, for as long as possible, and spending cash where they want it, for specific benefits to a few, while others suffer while stuck with the bill.

That is the disconnect.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 10:55am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

OK--we have a super(unanimously approved--same as the old super) and we have admin and teachers in place. We have a structure and plan to follow/adhere. No more excuses, waiting, scapegoating or whining. Get the job done--together and individually. If someone is unhappy and wants to leave, then they should leave, and without drama.

Business models, job situations, personal situations seldom play out perfectly or as planned. Owners/supervisors/laborers are human, usually try their best and hope that it the results are favorable.

The team is set--We need improvement and expect improvement in every area. Let's see it happen!

Ok, well said spider and with the always eternal optimism that you present. Now, if we all were voting on this, how many would vote that there will be a positive, upward, trend toward improving this district with all that spider mentions and how many would vote that it will be "business as usual" with no change, promises in the dark from the school people, no upward progression seen at all and we will be in the same situation 3-5 years from now?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
aflatkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aflatkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2015 at 6:11pm
guess who!!

i know of many who have state funded retirements. and double dip after retirement. my understanding about state law is that   on the date the individual retires the organization that is doing the re hirering must publicly post the availability of the position of a the job that has state or federal funds as part of the sallary base. they have to  let the retired individual have at lleast 60 days with out pay. durring this time they are supposed to evaluate all who apply for the position which can include the retired individual. after that time they can elect to hire a new individual who meets the new employment reqierments or rehire the same old guy or girl because they favor their work ethic. there are several miamisburg city employes that have had to indure the lay of requirement before rehierd.
there are also several miami university emploees that have had to obide by the state law on this issue.  I imagine that because of  the public schools ,state sanctioned and regulated  the  rules and regulators in relation to hirering staff members must meet the state mandated laws.( of course a school board can amend their bi laws one way or another , but it still has to reflect the state guide lines and laws )  im  not always right , yep  but its only fair and equal in the land of the  free to give  equal and fair  opportunity for qualified people to apply after a person retires. to have a window of opportunity  for all, as well as a period of time when the suspected  person who is going to get preference irregardless of applicants credentials  to reflect on their own greed after they have retired. if in actuality they care so much for a specific metropolitan area where is their work of benevolence to society after they have reaped a reward in state funded retirement. ????????  but as you all know  if you can approve a loan that overdraws your next years school  budget and then just finance  the repetition of the behavior on the tax payers back
with out any noticeable repercussion from the taxpayers themselves, you can count on the taxpayers to fund the school boards- in just hire ring practices and educational policy's that profit employed adults and purge students from the system yearly with the total inability to participate in today's economy.   ah that's right it public education
you might do better to have street smarts and save your money.
aflatkey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic