FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All America City

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 11:41pm
And why was the city not considered?
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2015 at 12:01am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Oxford and it's bike riding on residential streets certainly seems to work...for Oxford with it's tranquil college town atmosphere and slower traffic speed. Middletown....not so sure it's a good match to have bike riders that close to faster moving traffic here. The town's don't match in the bike riding aspect. Middletown has the bike trail along the river making it safer for the bikers.

For a historical perspective, Grand Ave. use to be a two lane road in the 50's. I was living on Grand back then with the grandparents around the Dorset/Kensington St. areas. During that time, they made Grand a 4 lane road past where we lived out to the freeway and made the Armco truck route over on Roosevelt the main route to Wicoff. Grand use to be the truck route taken down to the Wicoff gate and the truck traffic was bad back then on Grand. Grand, when a two lane highway, use to go straight out to the freeway as you went past Marshall Rd. and was the only way out of town as Roosevelt and Grand never intersected as they do now.

An example of boulevard ease of travel, University Blvd. makes it much quicker to go from say....MUM to Woodside Cemetery. Following University and bearing south on University, you would turn right after the old Garfield school site to get to the cemetery. Relatively easy. Before, it would take some time to drive from these two points from the north/northeast side of town (MUM) to the south side (Woodside). The boulevard concept is widely used in cities such as Tucson as most major roads are three lanes a side with nicely done cactus and other desert vegetation with colored rocks in the median separation. I believe other western cities share this concept too.

The bolded is actually an excellent reason to justify a conversion on University Blvd. The route has already been separated by a nice, grassy median. So there would already be a decent degree of separation there, making it all the more perfect for a conversion. University runs in three lanes in most spots, so I could see a case being made for some sections having two lanes of traffic in one direction and one lane of traffic in the other.

And again, same boulevard feel with all the landscaping, etc. you mention in your last paragraph, but instead of cars going both ways, it would be cars on one side and pedestrian use on the other. Great deal of separation, nice aesthetics, and total safety for both pedestrians and motorists. 

Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2015 at 12:12am
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

Trotwood: I'm confused; were you a resident of Middletown, or are you currently a resident? The reason I ask is that you don't understand the reason for Reinartz overpass. No one would "bat an eye" if we shut down Reinartz" except for emergency vehicles trying to cross the railroad tracks to get to the hospital (they still use Reinartz to get to Atrium), or get to a fire on the other side of the tracks. There are many trains that still pass through Middletown. Police use the overpass all the time to get from city hall to the other side of the tracks. All of the roads that you mention (except maybe Lefferson) are excellent ways to get around town. Now if you were arguing about "adding" a lane to the boulevard system, that would be a different issue. But to eliminate a lane on the streets that you mentioned (just to add a bike lane, and THEN not pave that area doesn't make sense.   just 1chmoore.

Sorry about not clarifying earlier.

I'm a current Oxford student. Grew up in a poor, redneck neighborhood in Monroe - my family was not, but our neighborhood was. "Culturally tied" to Middletown - spent a ton of my days going to the fast food places on Briel, shopping at Towne Mall, going to the laundromat off Oxford State Rd, etc. I consider Middletown to be my hometown.

But you would be correct if you assumed I never spent time near downtown. That is true, only really interaction with it was from looking out a car window driving down Verity. 

But to the Reinartz Blvd. point - why not just use University? It has good, if not better, access to the same area via 14th st. Also, I'm basing my points of view on the lack of demand for these roads to exist - simple economics.

How many people used to work at AK in 1970? How many work there now?
How many people live in parts of the city that demand these roadways? How many lived there before?

Why pay for what you don't need?
And why not utilize what you have in the most inexpensive and effective way possible?

I'm seeing a lot of bare asphalt for no good reason, and an easy way for Middletown to gain a competitive advantage over every other city in southwest Ohio for young professionals and empty nesters. Seems like a no-brainer to me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic