FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teacher Staff Reduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teacher Staff Reduction
    Posted: Apr 09 2015 at 12:09pm
MJ:
State: Middletown needs to reduce teaching staff

By Rick McCrabb
Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
Ohio’s auditor’s office is recommending the Middletown City Schools District reduce 35 full-time teacher positions, 15 other positions and reduce its severance payouts as ways to save nearly $3 million, according to a report released this morning.

The performance audit was initiated as a result of negative fund balances projected in the district’s five-year forecast for October 2014. By implementing the recommendations in the report, the district could improve its fund balance “significantly,” the report said.

The district is projected to have a balance of $3 million by fiscal year 2018-19, and that balance would jump to $14.6 million if the changes were made, the report said.

Eliminating 35 general education positions would save the district $1.7 million; the 11 education service personnel positions $750,000; and four professional educational positions $353,000, according to the report.

Reducing the severance payouts would save the district $91,000, according to the report.

The audit also said the district’s staffing ratio of students to teachers is higher than similar districts in the state. The peer average is 21.4 students per teacher; Middletown’s ratio is 18.7 students per teacher. If Middletown had 20 students per teacher, or 20 percent above the state minimum, that would save the district $1.3 million annually, the report said.

In its response to the audit, the district said the data used for the report was from the 2013-14 school year. Since then, the district said, six full-time teaching positions, two ESP positions and 19 professional-educational positions have been eliminated.

The district said its severance payouts are determined by the two collective bargaining agreements and can’t be changed without negotiating these changes. Correcting or reducing the severance payouts could lead to “unintended consequences that could cost out taxpayers more,” treasurer Randy Bertram said.

Middletown Superintendent Sam Ison and Middletown Teachers Association union president Dom Williams were unavailable to comment this morning.

The performance audit was conducted at the request of the Ohio Department of Education, said Dave Yost, auditor of the state. The audit was funded by the ODE, said John Charlton, spokesman.

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2015 at 1:04pm
They can start the cuts by eliminating the assistant principals in all the grade schools, the middle school and the high school and most of the Directors and double up on the job duties with the remaining people. Too top heavy in fancy high salary positions. That ought to save them a chunk of change and might savage some of the actual front line worker bee teachers.

They can also revisit the salary ranges of the admin positions to see if they are comparable to districts similar to Middletown. It's been my understanding that Middletown pay for educational positions has been traditionally higher than surrounding, comparable school districts. If performance is an indicator of salary, then Middletown salaries should be at the low end.

I thought there were more kids in a classroom than 18. In my time, there were 30 per classroom and the class was still conducted in a civilized fashion with learning undisturbed. Because the deterrents were removed from the classroom, the teachers felt overwhelmed and successfully called for smaller class sizes with the claim that the classroom was out of control, but I wasn't aware the number was down to 18. They can't handle anymore than that?

Too many bloated, unreasonably high salaries in the academic field contributing to this issue.

The years of gravy boat riding may now have been highlighted in this district by a state audit.

So, reduction of payouts. Negative balance in funds. Student/teacher ratios are higher than average. How long were you planning to operate like this and what are you going to do about this school board and super? It's your responsibility to operate correctly.

Now that we know the true out-of-the-eye public picture in the schools, we need the state to audit the city government money flow and expenditures for legality and make public the infractions.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2015 at 1:34pm
Vet, 

I agree. Keep the teachers and get rid of the bloat. Stop cutting those making $40,000 and start cutting those making $100,000+.
Itsa me, mario!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic