Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Paying Jobs in Middletown Not Needed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Paying Jobs in Middletown Not Needed?
    Posted: Apr 30 2018 at 1:07pm
https://www.journal-news.com/news/wong-says-hamilton-middletown-need-high-paying-jobs-succeed-carpenter-disagrees/QBzkRFnxBhkgYjnlJp9yiP/

May not be city government, but good to know one of our Butler County commissioners doesn't think Middletown needs high paying jobs.  Note that she's up for re-election this year.
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2018 at 1:55pm
After having read the article, I will agree with Wong on this one. He seems to acknowledge Middletown exists unlike some county commissioners in the past. Seems to want to help this city too in his comments. Most only see Hamilton as the only city of importance in Butler County. Disagree with Carpenter on her thinking that high paying jobs aren't really a top priority. They always are and we in Middletown have been talking about this for years concerning why city officials dropped the ball decades ago when Armco and the paper mills began their slide with regard to decreased financial influence here in town. We haven't had a decent selection of higher paying jobs in town for decades and will place the blame on previous and current city leaders and econ. development departments for their nonchalance approach as the culprit. They are the ones who watched as the job market folded years ago and did nothing about it.

buddhalite has hit upon this topic for awhile now as to the importance of decent paying jobs here. Decent paying jobs give that positive ripple effect of providing opportunities for home ownership, new car/truck purchases and more disposable income which, in turn, helps local businesses as a result of that buying power from workers. Money flows, development happens with the additional businesses that will be attracted to an active market here. I see no downside to any of that thinking. Just wonder why the city leaders seem reluctant to actually pursue higher paying jobs here. Given the job choices here and the need to work out of town to earn any real money, I would have thought they would have caught on by now........but, then again, this is Middletown where logic is nowhere to be found at times.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 11:07pm
Yep.  It is amazing what some great jobs can do.

Even not so great jobs.

Franklin has a call center that is hiring ANOTHER 75 people - look, I ran a call center for years - I get it not the greatest jobs - but they are jobs.  Money.  Disposable income.  Call centers is something this city should be pushing for.....it's a great use of old real estate (like we have tons of on the west end) and it's twice at least what welfare pays - and everyone has a sense of purpose - and watch what happens.

The great Ronaldus Magnus was right....trickle down works for everyone - but here in Middletown we waste millions rescuing old money families from decrepit properties (theater anyone?) they'd lose their shirt on when we could use those funds (let's face it - there's not enough federal money to do what Adkins is doings - so at the end it's all coming out of our pockets one way or another) to actually attract some business and get some jobs in this community.  There's no trickle down - the elite snatch it before it can be put to good use.  Shameful.

It;'s like the driveway we just went into debt to MMF for - wHY?  For aviation school?  WHY?!?!?  Those jobs won't stay here...why should we spend the money to train people for careers that won't ever turn a nickel for the city.

Argh....it's late and I'm rambling - the only thing that matters now folks - is elections.  Who's gonna run with me?
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 7:39am
Well dang, the Journal gave me a bit of false hope this morning.  I thought that the majority of Butler County had disagreed with Ms. Carpenter and felt that cities like Middletown and Hamilton need high paying jobs.  The J-N's results page had Mr. Wong winning with 59% of the vote (I took a screenshot but can't upload from work).

But then I see an article from Mr. Richter that Ms. Carpenter won with 59% of the vote?

So like everyone should do, I bypassed the J-N and went to the horse's mouth, so to speak, and checked the Butler County Board of Elections website.  They show Ms. Carpenter winning with 59% of the vote.  Somewhat disappointing, but it drives home a couple of points:

1.  The J-N appears to not be very good at things like fact checking and proofreading.  If the original source is the horse's mouth, what they put out may come from the other end of the animal.

2.  It reiterates that people are willing to just vote for the status quo.  The incumbent basically said (in the most politically correct way she could) that the population of Middletown are a bunch of hilljacks who don't need or deserve good paying jobs, and still won the primary.
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2018 at 12:44pm
As Ms. Carpenter is back on the ballot again this election cycle, albeit against a different opponent, I felt it prudent as a Middletonian to remind everyone of this issue.  And noting that her opponent this time around appears to be a resident of our fair city, which may result in some higher measure of visibility at the county level should Ms. Bronston be elected.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic