FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The better question:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The better question:
    Posted: Sep 09 2018 at 7:57pm
What exactly is 'success' regarding downtown - and is that success achievable?

I've been watching another post out here started by the resident curmudgeon of the forum - and it's gotten out of hand and basically degraded into name calling at this point....

However - it has got me to thinking - what would we define as success downtown?

Obviously there are few to none on this forum who believe that we have achieved anything close to success at this point - maybe a glimmer of hope here and there and a few bright spots - but let's face it.  It's not been a success.

Aside from the mistakes of the past that are so often recalled here in huge red print  - it is my observation that much of the money our government has spent downtown has been a huge waste, filled with cronyism, nepotism and futilitarianism.

What is success - what does it mean to you - specifically for Downtown?  We'll talk about the rest of the city later.  I want to know what everyone really thinks that success means, what it looks like, feels like and smells like.

I hope that a wide variety of responses will come in - I want to formulate a position on what the great people of our fair city are thinking for lots of reasons really....but let's be positive and be real about what the ideal of downtown looks like.

"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2018 at 8:52pm
I find myself spending more time down there, though limited to four locations. I like the businesses that I frequent, and a lot of the people there(particularly the owners). Unfortunately I don’t have many other spots in town that I care to visit. I am not judging anything as a success or failure—that is beyond me at this point.
Has this selective evolution been expensive? Very...can’t we all simply enjoy ourselves wherever we choose?
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2018 at 4:00pm
Here's my thing:

If we can't define success - we can't measure it, we can't claim it and we certainly can't celebrate it when it happens.

First rule of accomplishing anything: knowing the goal.

I'm not sure that we know the goal - and that's why I'm asking.  When we petition our leaders - shouldn't we know the goal so we can ask for the proper consideration?

What is success downtown?  If I were elected to the council - you'd have to answer this question for me because I really don't know what that means in terms of downtown other than the generic 'revitalized'.  I can tell you that more than one of our current councilpersons feel the same way.

Before we can achieve it - we need to define it - so we have a platform upon which to stand and a final goal upon which to plan.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic