FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Income Tax Hike...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Income Tax Hike...
    Posted: Sep 20 2020 at 8:38pm
So...another year, another election, another ballot tax increase.

I've yet to meet the new City Manager - but I did go to the website they created about this levy - and I've watched the video and I've come to a conclusion:

He might be great at the job of managing a city - but I'm pretty sure he has no idea how hurt the citizens of our fair city are.

The millions and millions that have been wasted, the schadenfreude played so often by the shady councils (unfortunately both past and present), the horrific decisions, the mismanagement, the bad personnel decisions, the shady back room deals, the....well, we all know here what I'm referring to.

If I were Mr. Palenick - I'd tell the council that they're gonna have to do this another way or to just shelve it for a little while.

I'm sure that there are people who are clamoring to get their street repaved - but oh yeah, the EPA is clamoring (even suing) us over the sewers - the west end of town is looking more like main street in the old west than anything else, the council seems only concerned about that end of town and all the clamoring over it all the money spent and it's still a wasteland of empty storefronts, fruity soap shops and oh yeah - bars, bars, bars, bars and more bars.

Now is not the time for this - according to the OHio department of Taxation there's just shy of 1,000 municipal tax districts in the state of Ohio.  This would put Middletown in the top 20% of taxing districts in the state - not exactly something that would make someone want to move here.

I'm voting no on the levy - folks, please do the same.  This council has one bright spot - but the other 4 are your typical tax and spend frivolously politicians - and they're gonna do it to us again.

"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2020 at 11:25am
The new city manager can't tell council or any other member of the group running the city what he thinks, UNLESS it complies with the city doctrine and is in line with the theme. We all saw what happens when a city manager, or any other city official rocks the boat when Adkins was given the boot. He towed the line under the Gilleland administration and did fine. As soon as he stepped on the toes of some customer downtown and a downtown business owner objected, he angered the downtown group, who really run this city, and they insisted he be gone. With their two buddies swaying council, not long afterward, he was out. This city has always worked that way. We have always had an inner circle of influence. If you are in that group, are loyal and play the game, you will succeed and advance in importance. If not, you get the boot ala Adkins. I would imagine all organizations are like that with no dissention tolerated if you want to stay in good standing. Political parties are notorious for that.

The downtown area......no matter how they try to sell it. No matter how they try and glamourize and promote it, will still be an economic wasteland down there. Has been now for over a decade. The "upscale advances" in occupying the stores with overpriced coffee shops, overpriced artzy nick knack shops, and overpriced "specialty", small portion, fru fru restaurants like Gracies has taken over giving way to the stores that Middletown shoppers really are interested in and that match their wallets. They live in a dream world down there. What they offer, 90% of Middletown either doesn't want, isn't interested in, or can't afford. Totally out of touch with the city demographics. They have no clue concerning the make-up of Middletown. You put a McD's, Little Ceasars or Cici's pizza buffet in downtown and they would be the busiest businesses down there. Middletown customers can identify with those types of businesses, not upscale fru fru.

The income tax levy? Taxing is the only thing they know as to revenue generation. Asking people for money is the easiest way to generate it. If they took the other route and actually tried to bring more business in here for revenue, it would be too hard and probably beyond the economic development dept's ability or skill level to accomplish. Just look at this department's past successes. Not a great track record for sure. We do not have progressive, innovative professionals in key positions working at the city building. Couple of notches below that I would guess. Just collecting a paycheck and calling it a day. It is the culture down at the city building to hire mediocre people for key job functions. Has been for a long time. Otherwise, this city would be in much better shape with a reputation to match. As it is now, we are nothing more than Franklin's ugly stepsister. Wasn't always that way. Even tiny little Monroe has surpassed us on new ideas and modernizing their town theme. It is now more desirable to live there as well as they have planned in accordance with the times offering a decent little town to live in with all the amenities. Current and past Middletown leaders have given no thought as to upgrading the city with more modern trends. We could use some upgraded residents as well. Gangs, criminals and lower tier people looking for a handout just don't seem to attract decent people to your city do they. Neither does a consistently poor performing school system. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 7:11am
Middletown recently was rated number 5 in the worse cities in Ohio to live, 5. The schools, 7 months ago, virtually, all were failing. What happened? Covid? The biggest political stunt in history. More souls committed suicide because of uncertainty than covid, costing the US 3 T in waste and loss...fumb.

Then, to think this city, this county, full of fake RINOs. Tax raise...for what? And that is the Republican mantra. The police much too strong, out of control, judge...not Wall by any means, city tax, a cap said they make you pull up everything, when a simple statement was fine, just to milk the penalties and interest. Tried filing a police report 6 months ago, had an officer throw me a piece of paper, here you go bro. Bro?

This city paved Rosedale, handing out goodies, finding buyers, taking care of pals, for the Support Street g as garbage signs.

Covid. Tennis team wears no masks, kisses, 100 people not even a ft away...not one mask. Dewine, Philip's, the nuts of this is beyond insane. Corruption, deals, sickening.

Interests rates are low. Hit the road Jack, and dont look back no more, no more.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2020 at 12:12pm
Not posted the above and have requested it be removed, it's been 5 years since looking st the site. The levy or tax rate is in line with Hamilton. I support it, voted for Judge, and houses are selling well. No knowledge of tennis team but see everyone wearing masks.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 10:11pm
Thank you Middletown for smacking down the powers that be (for now) and keeping your money in your own pocket.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 11:46pm
I'd love to say that was sarcasm...however it wasn't - it was based upon a tweet from Jake Ryle of WCPO.  Looks like another nail in the coffin of our great city.  It just gets worse each day.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2020 at 10:19am
The voters of Middletown just demonstrated, once again, that they will give the city officials what they want regardless of past history. It would appear, as with the school levies passed, that performance and outlay/outcome of money given to the city requires absolutely no proof of performance to support said outlay of money.

School levies have been passed many times. School bond levies have been approved to build new "Taj Mahals" we now call schools which resemble huge college campuses with their vast complexes. Problem is, the quality of the education the kids are receiving in these new schools is no different than what was received in the old schools, long since torn down. That suggests that newer facilities do not necessarily dictate a positive outcome. Content of what is taught and method of teaching are the keys to success.

The money earmarked in the past for road repair has seen some evidence of an attempt to fix the roads but, given the time period involved in those repairs, the progress has not been overwhelmingly satisfactory. It is painfully slow with an enormous amount of roads still neglected for many decades. Grass is growing through many residential streets and has been for decades. Some residential streets still have the original pavement from the 80's. City attention has been sorely lacking in this area.

When the city asks for additional funding for a project like this, the voters should require some evidence that they have used the previous funding efficiently by paving pertinent streets of interest rather than their pet project streets that usually encompass their favorite buddies around town like their downtown friends of the city. Alleyways have been paved downtown. How does that help the majority of city drivers? If as much attention was paid to the rest of the city like they tend to cater to the downtown area, perhaps we could see a "spreading of the wealth" as to our tax dollars. Until then, the voters shouldn't approve another tax request on the ballot. There has not been enough work done in a reasonable amount of time, in the right locations, to warrant giving them more of our tax dollars IMO.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
HdMechanical View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HdMechanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2020 at 4:45pm
Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic