FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teenage Jobs in Middletown?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teenage Jobs in Middletown?
    Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 11:12pm
Where are they? My 17 year old has been trying for awhile now. He has been told by several businesses to apply on line. He has done that. He has also put in several in person. He drives, he's a good worker (worked for me, but we have had a business slow down). Teenagers his age need to work. We are only trying to minimum wage and part time/weekends. He is still a student/junior.

Any ideas? Trying to stay in the Middletown/Germantown/Franklin/Trenton/Monroe area.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 9:34am
I can't believe all the restaurant jobs aren't available. Can you verify?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 12:13pm
Arby's, Burger King, McDonald's, Donatos, IGA, Marsh, Kroger, Target.
Pet Store by MidFirst, GFS foods.

Have not done Wendy's, Taco Bell, others on restaurant strip.
You have to be 18 for WalMart. I would assume restaurants that serve alcohol would be 21?
Have not tried.

Looking for advice.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 1:42pm
I see lots of young people working at Krogers.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 2:00pm
Kroger is done strictly online. I forgot Meier was the first online application he put in.
Other online.....McDonalds. IGA, Marsh, Target

The only Kroger hiring in this area that we know of is Monroe. And recently.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by MadisonMom MadisonMom wrote:

I would assume restaurants that serve alcohol would be 21?

Looking for advice.
MM:

I offer two items of advice for your consideration:

1.  Rumor has it that there are flyers posted at MUM seeking employees for "The Jug".

2.  Although policy differs among individual restaurants that serve alcohol, here is the Ohio law:

4301:1-1-56 Employment of underage persons.

Any person twenty-one years of age employed by any permit holder may participate in any manner in the handling, sale, or delivery of wine, mixed beverages, or spirituous liquor; and any person nineteen years of age employed by any permit holder may participate in any manner in the handling, sale, or delivery of beer, and when working in the capacity of a waiter or waitress may participate in the handling, sale or delivery of wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor. Any person eighteen years of age or older employed by any permit holder may handle beer, wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor in sealed containers in connection with wholesale or retail sales, and any person employed by any permit holder may handle beer, wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor in sealed containers in connection with manufacturing, storage, warehousing, placement or delivery, and in open containers in connection with cleaning tables or handling empty bottles or glasses.

In essence, this means that anyone 19 or older may work as a waiter/waitress, 18 or older may work in retail without on-premises consumption, any age may work handling sealed containers in NON-sales position, and any age may work as a bus boy/girl, dishwasher and the like.  Of course, these are just the rules regarding alcohol. There are other rules governing "child labor".

Safe Harbor:  I am NOT an attorney, and any statements made are my poinions only and are not to be relied upon as legal advice.  Perform your own due diligence.  Seek the advice of a qualified professional. Etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I am certain that there are several eateries that are also alcoholic "permit holders" in Middletown that hire people under 21 in accordance with above.

PS: Good luck! Thumbs%20Up
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 3:18am
Years ago didn't the City hire Seniors as summer help to plant flowers, pick up trash, clean and paint in the parks and other places? 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 3:21am
Bern's landscaping will be looking for summer help soon.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 6:25am
MMom- won't help now but when the weather breaks, how about applying with a lawn care business cutting grass? Employment agencies can't help? How about an internship at a local company? Isn't there a program where the student goes to school a half a day and works the other half, or doesn't this apply to his situation? Just suggestions.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Years ago didn't the City hire Seniors as summer help to plant flowers, pick up trash, clean and paint in the parks and other places? 

I think that they just hire the ones who are related to council members who are also on the Park Board.  But I could be wrong! Wink
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 7:04am
Mike: Don't forget- if there is any activity connected with the Park Board, you MUST get the sensi of Parks permission- Park Ranger "Yogi" Armbruster. As Spider says, " He's da man!"            
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 9:20am
I would assume the city would use convicts or people who need community service hours. Makes sense.

Still no call for my teen. Subway had a sign on the door last week, he put app in that same day. Did not call him. They are training people right now, with the sign still on the door.

He is still putting applications in to various places. Especially those businesses advertising that they're hiring. Yeah, right.

I believe there are so many people out of work, that these businesses are bombarded with applications. Why would you hire someone who's never worked before? I'm sure there are experienced fast food people looking for work as well. Who you gonna call? Look at Kings Island. 7,000 people show up for 4,000 jobs.

Well, our business has picked up, so he will probably be digging post holes in the next few days.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 9:24am
MadisonMom unemployment in Middletown is at almost 11%.  Finding a job is Middletown is going to be rough this year for young people.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 3:17pm
Just got back from the doctor. Stopped at McD's on Verity, son and I had not had lunch yet.
Took 10-15 minutes for food inside. People were complaining. It was also shift change. When I mentioned that to a customer she told me it was like that every day. I thought "why do you come back?". If I hadn't noticed shift change I would have thought they needed to hire more people. I'm sure day shift can't be that hard to cover anymore. So I assume the economy has everyone cutting back, even though more people are supposedly eating fast food more often than the sit down dinner such as Applebee's. At least that's what the media tells us.

I do realize the economy, but I keep thinking..........there's that one teenager who's gonna be one step closer to a job, because my son wasn't out there more often than he is. I do know he has checked on applications already placed, but to no avail. I guess I should lighten' up?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 6:25am
MM- I noticed the McD's on Breiel and Commerce Drive getting a little slower on filling the orders also. Might make a call to Steve Posey. He owns the McD's on Verity and Breiel. Perhaps that would motivate the workers to get the orders faster than 15 minutes.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 8:53am
Steve Posey is gone. Gave up both places probably a couple of years ago. I heard he went to Florida, health reasons.
Parshall ran the Verity place and he ran it good. He's gone, too. I would say bad management for both places.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 10:14am

My advice is to look everywhere, take anything.

This is a hoorible job market, but ambition often wins over a manager even if a job isn't really available. Sometimes they hire an extra guy just to get rid of a weak link.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 12:24pm
Thanks MM- didn't know Posey was out of here. Really don't keep tabs on who owns what in town- just care about the service that seems to be getting worse with every year. You may be right on the bad management thing. Bad managers don't know how to train/motivate people to perform satisfactorily. Customers notice the lousy service. Sounds like McD's need to be more selective on the quality of their management people. Perhaps their management employment package offerings only attract lower quality candidates. JMO
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 10:51pm
No one is hiring teenagers, anywhere. Hiring laid off workers instead, more experience.
My teenagers are working for me this summer, whenever I can work them.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic