FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MetroParks listening session

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MetroParks listening session
    Posted: Mar 07 2017 at 4:54pm
FYI   In The Journal News on 3/7/2017, Section B, page 6, you will find a notice posted by MetroParks of Butler County, OH. It is titled YOUR Opinion Matters for YOUR Metroparks It invites the public to attend a Listening Session for Elk Creek MetroPark (Sebald Park & Meadow Ridge Area located in Madison Township), to be held Wednesday, March 8, 6-8pm at Central Connections, 3907 Central Ave. (our "senior citizens center").

It doesn't say who will do the listening at this "listening session" -- hopefully someone who knows the background of Adkins' rampage giveaway of our most valuable amenities; OUR parks and golf course, because he decided the city(he) couldn't manage them.   Are you aware that there is a tax on YOUR property tax paid to MetroParks for maintenance of OUR parks that the city gave away? We DID NOT vote for this tax. Our city charter prohibits applying a tax without a vote so turning all parks over to the county then allowed us to be taxed.    So... we lost our parks through city mismanagement but we are still saddled with paying for their upkeep. But (sigh) I doubt they will want to discuss this since it's all moot now.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by whistlersmom whistlersmom wrote:

.   Are you aware that there is a tax on YOUR property tax paid to MetroParks for maintenance of OUR parks that the city gave away? We DID NOT vote for this tax. Our city charter prohibits applying a tax without a vote so turning all parks over to the county then allowed us to be taxed.

This is a false statement.  The last time a levy for Metro Parks was on the ballot was in March 2016.  Middletown voters living in Butler County most certainly saw this tax issue on their ballots as reflected in the election results posted on the Butler County Board of Elections site.

Even as far back as 2010, Middletown voters were being presented with tax issues on the ballot related to Metro Parks operations.  This is a county-wide system. 

Middletown residents living in Warren County would see tax issues related to Warren Metro Parks.
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2017 at 5:19pm
swohio75

You are right!   I stand corrected.   We were paying into MetroParks on our taxes, although perhaps not back farther than 2010. Thank you for the info.

But MetroParks had nothing to compare to the 700+ acres donated to Middletown which includes Sebald Park and Weatherwax Golf Course.   Middletown suffered a great loss in amenities and prestige when it was all sold far below it's real value, some virtually given away.   I believe prestige and amenities are exactly what city officials are trying unsuccessfully to replace ... with their focus on our bombed out appearance downtown.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2017 at 6:35pm
There was an election in 2010 for Metro Parks and there are reported results from Middletown precincts.

Over the years - dating back to the 1950s, there have been an number of prominent Middletown citizens who have served on the Metro Park Board.

Land for Sebald Park was not donated, but acquired by the city.  Funds for some of the land were provided by the WW Sebald Foundation.  

The first official record of an Elk Creek showed up in Middletown's 1963 plan. In 1965, the city received an open space grant and purchased 540 acres of land in the Elk Creek Park area. Weber W. Sebald then provided $100,000 to purchase additional land bringing the total to 793 acres. On August 1, 1966, the park was renamed Weber W. Sebald Park

I believe some of this land was used for Weatherwax since Sebald isn't 793 acres. Weatherwax family noted funds for tree plantings at golf course, and as such, the course was named after them.

While I do believe the city made the right decision to turn over Sebald to Metro Parks, I think a huge mistake was made with the Weatherwax sale.  I don't believe the city was creative with looking at preserving 18 of the 36 holes for use as a golf course.  I think a good argument could be made for not needing 38 holes.  But it doesn't appear that was an option the city explored. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic