FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Evidence of Bohannon Conflict of Interest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 12:32pm
There was a meeting back I believe in August or September that I attended where Mr. Bohannon and Mr. Adkins were both in attendance (at Java Johnny's) where this particular subject was brought up.

There was (as was said at this meeting) a landlord association formed (loosely - not a very formal group - but a group nonetheless) and one of the many points raised by the group was the cost of background checks and how prohibitive it was for the landlords to pay $45 or $60 or even more in some cases to get a decent background on a potential tenant.

There's some relationship with somebody at One Donham Albatross with a background check service out of Sharonville (I think) that was able to provide background checks via the internet for $9/each with the expectation that there would be a certain volume of checks in lieu of the reduced pricing.

The explanation was that there was some discretionary funding that Mr. Adkins placed (I believe the number was about $5k) on account with the background check site operator to pay for the checks for a period of time to give the landlords the incentive to use the service freely for a while for all prospective tenants - but when the money ran out - it ran out - but would give them a reduced price future as well to keep them utilizing the service.

I can tell you that Mr. Bohannon confirmed that emailed the association members earlier this year that the fund had run out - and politely asked them to keep using it and absorbing the $9 cost.  I have even seen a print copy of the email at one time (it was months ago).

So - we here on Middletownusa.com's forums have a lot to complain about and much work to do.  I can see where we collectively would have objected to the city paying for ANY background checks - but that's water under the bridge.

As far as Mr. Bohannon is concerned - all he did was take advantage of a city-funded apparatus to run backgrounds on his tenants.  To me - it is a nothing-burger.  To some it is the end of the world.  To throw around reckless accusations on this board that he's in ethics trouble and violated laws and could be in 'hot water' is preposterous.

There's no way to make this right - Mr. Adkins shouldn't have funded a private sector activity like this (but then again that's a lot of what he does everyday anyway) and the money was at least used the way it was intended - and I'd like to think that in some way there were potential tenants in this city denied rental access to properties for good reasons and that it had some positive impact on our city.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 1:21pm
buddhalite:

"So - we here on Middletownusa.com's forums have a lot to complain about and much work to do. I can see where we collectively would have objected to the city paying for ANY background checks - but that's water under the bridge."

Mr.Bohannon runs a HUD landlord housing operation. It is a private business and benefits Mr. Bohannon only, not the people of Middletown, who's tax money is being used to supply the funding for background checks that, again, benefit Mr. Bohannon. Mr. Bohannon is also a member of a city function called Council. He is a direct beneficiary of money given to him to help run his business. The money is not given freely by the taxpayer, but rather,is distributed by a city fund set up by the city manager and other government members.

Anyway you look at it, Bohannon is benefitting by this money which should never be used to subsidize a private entity.

IMO, it is NOT water under the bridge but rather an issue that needs to stop with Bohannon refunding the money given to him from the taxpayer. I, and others are not in the business of freely giving our forced taxpayer money to someone who reaps the entire benefit of this money. IMO this still needs to be addressed and corrected. Otherwise, Bohannon gets off scott free and the taxpayers are played the fool once again. Let Bohannon and all the other HUD landlords pay for the background checks. It is a part of them doing business and they should pay for it not people who will not benefit from the cost. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 4:41pm
Viet,

I don't disagree with your premise - however after the billion plus wasted by this government already (at least by my calculations it is well close to if not over $1B) $5k seems like small potatoes.

It shouldn't have been done - but it was.  So now - who gets faulted?  Are we going to pitchfork a council member over what has been purported to be $9 background checks an make him cough it all back up?  I am not sure I see the conflict of interest on his part - sure I see that Adkins shouldn't have involved himself in any way in the matter and therefore the city should have been left out of it....but I don't see where the conflict is - considering that other landlords availed themselves of this service too.

I am not mad at Mr. Bohannon (nor do I understand the vitriol being sent his way here) - on the contrary - he did what any smart businessperson would do in that circumstance.  If he has to give it back - then all the landlords have to give it back.

It's the only fair way - but I say now that everythings out in the open - let's just not do this ever again.  Let's ensure that our council and city leaders don't put public money out on a private endeavor ever again.  That'll stop this nonsense once and for all.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 5:50pm
VietVet, SpiderJohn, Middielover, BuddhaLite, etc. -

In retrospect, Mr. Bohannon should have refrained from accessing city-paid tenant reference check services.  Being a city council member, it's imperative to always avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

The bigger issues of this discussion should focus upon Doug Adkins and his unilateral decision to dole out $5,000 of taxpayers funds.  Were city council members, beyond Mr. Bohannon, aware of these out-of-the-ordinary landlord gifts as well?

Far, far more important than the above is Mr. Adkins "gift" of property involving 1325-41 Central Avenue and 1316 Vail Avenue to Liberty Spirits LLC (Mike Robinette et. al.).  For the paltry sum of $1.00 it was Mr. Adkins who spearheaded the sale of this real estate which cost the city over $300,000 combined to assemble!

Mr. Adkins and Mr. Fooks wasted $200,000+ of HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program capital to buy and demolish properties at 1325-41 Central Avenue.  They also unloaded the land/building at 1316 Vail Avenue (former woodworking shop) that cost the city $90,000+/-.  By the way, NSP funds were to be utilized to address the negative outcomes of residential neighborhood property foreclosures.  HOW IN THE WORLD DID THESE CENTRAL AND VAIL AVENUES PROPERTIES HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT??

The bottom line to all of this is that Mr. Adkins appears to have free reign to do most anything that he wants.  And, the city council receives FAILING MARKS for their lack of oversight of One Donham Abbey operations.

any matter that There's another matter beyond this $5,000 gift of Mr. Adkins that should really raise the ire of city taxpayers.

As you know, the city received millions in HUD Neighto
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 5:52pm
buddhalite:
"I don't disagree with your premise - however after the billion plus wasted by this government already (at least by my calculations it is well close to if not over $1B) $5k seems like small potatoes."

The small potato 5K to "billions" comparison doesn't matter. Gotta start somewhere as to holding elected officials accountable for their actions. If we let this go by, where do we then draw the line in the sand to define when enough is enough? We are already at "millions" being spent in the downtown area alone.

buddhalite:
"It shouldn't have been done - but it was. So now - who gets faulted"

Bohannon and the city who loaned him the money get faulted. It was done and should not be written off as "just a minor infraction". He is a public official who some (not me) placed their trust in to do the right thing. This is not the right thing. Bohannon is not an ignorant person. He knows right from wrong. He knew that accepting any PUBLIC money at all to aid his PRIVATE business venture is not ethical nor does it help that public servant trust factor either. He also knew that being in the public eye, his activities would be scrutinized and was. You simply can't mix benefiting on private business activities with public money usage. Doesn't sit too well with any taxpayer. He must be held accountable to return the money as all HUD landlords should who chose to use this service. Let the man use his OWN MONEY to run HIS BUSINESS, not ours.

buddhalite:
"I am not mad at Mr. Bohannon (nor do I understand the vitriol being sent his way here) - on the contrary - he did what any smart businessperson would do in that circumstance."

Nope. What "any smart businessperson would do" is not place themselves in a mixed usage of public and private sector actions especially when it is used for the private side business owner's advantage. The man should not have used this service to bolster his personal business. Being a councilperson, it is a misuse of the office he holds. Kinda like using one's "in the loop" position to do insider trading to bolster a portfolio. An advantage that doesn't create a level playing field.

buddhalite:
"If he has to give it back - then all the landlords have to give it back."

Yep

buddhalite:
"It's the only fair way - but I say now that everythings out in the open - let's just not do this ever again. Let's ensure that our council and city leaders don't put public money out on a private endeavor ever again. That'll stop this nonsense once and for all."

But buddha, it is happening all the time in the downtown area. Cincy State now occupies a building that was purchased by taxpayer money from the Thatcher Estate. Same goes for the Manchester Hotel. Same for the Main St bank building and is about to happen with the old Seniors Center and the BMW dealership proposal. The Rose building is also included. EVERYTHING downtown is city purchased with taxpayer money and if they can't sell it, they give it away for a HUGE loss for a buck if there are no takers on the market. The practice of using taxpayer money to grow the downtown cluster has been happening for more than a decade now. It is documented very well within the pages of MUSA. It is not now "out in the open". Hell, it's been out in the open for years on this forum. And just how do we go about "ensuring council and the city leaders don't use public money on private endeavors"????? Do we all just march into Adkin's office and threaten him if he does it again? Won't work. He doesn't care if we like the public money for private endeavors or not. He doesn't care about anything outside the realm of the downtown, the inner circle and his friends of the city. The rest of us can go to he-- as far as he's concerned. He has made that abundantly clear since becoming the city manager. Oh, and yeah, they will do this again if not held accountable with some sort of public outcry. Hell, they will ignore any outcry as well. They don't care about public opinion. They do as they please. After all, they are just low grade politicians and we all know that politicians aren't worth the powder to blow them up. JMO

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Analytical Analytical wrote:

VietVet, SpiderJohn, Middielover, BuddhaLite, etc. -

In retrospect, Mr. Bohannon should have refrained from accessing city-paid tenant reference check services.  Being a city council member, it's imperative to always avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

The bigger issues of this discussion should focus upon Doug Adkins and his unilateral decision to dole out $5,000 of taxpayers funds.  Were city council members, beyond Mr. Bohannon, aware of these out-of-the-ordinary landlord gifts as well?

Far, far more important than the above is Mr. Adkins "gift" of property involving 1325-41 Central Avenue and 1316 Vail Avenue to Liberty Spirits LLC (Mike Robinette et. al.).  For the paltry sum of $1.00 it was Mr. Adkins who spearheaded the sale of this real estate which cost the city over $300,000 combined to assemble!

Mr. Adkins and Mr. Fooks wasted $200,000+ of HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program capital to buy and demolish properties at 1325-41 Central Avenue.  They also unloaded the land/building at 1316 Vail Avenue (former woodworking shop) that cost the city $90,000+/-.  By the way, NSP funds were to be utilized to address the negative outcomes of residential neighborhood property foreclosures.  HOW IN THE WORLD DID THESE CENTRAL AND VAIL AVENUES PROPERTIES HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT??

The bottom line to all of this is that Mr. Adkins appears to have free reign to do most anything that he wants.  And, the city council receives FAILING MARKS for their lack of oversight of One Donham Abbey operations.

Correction to typos in original post.  Please refer to the post of VietVet immediately preceding this correction.  Thank you.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 6:59pm
Viet,

See - we both agree - the issue is that the landlords collectively will not return the money - and frankly, I doubt that Mr. Bohannon will either.  I don't like flogging dead horses.  It was a mistake to begin the program and it should be prevented from reoccurring...the reality is i'd rather focus on learning from our mistakes, preventing the re-occurrence and pushing on toward bigger and better things for our city.

I hope that if I run (and it looks like I certainly will be) that I don't have to sit through all the talk about the old days - I want to move forward and move on.

Plus, after reviewing the entire city charter and applicable statutes - he wasn't a direct beneficiary of a contract or any underhanded dealings - so unless I'm wrong (and I'd love to be proven otherwise) I don't think any violation of state, city or other code has occurred, I'm not sure any ethics boundaries were crossed......it certainly doesn't pass the smell test - but I just don't see where pursuing this issue any further makes any sense.

IF I thought it would actually make a difference to you or anyone else here - I'd call and ask him to return the money (probably easier if he'd donate it to charity) myself.

Bob
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 9:09am
police/landlord housing concerns, 29
maybe they could do backround checks for businesses hiring also?
hey--if they have the $$ maybe spread it around evenly to help businesses and landlords--should help everyone in the big picture

mmf spending is my ?
where do they get the $$$??
Duke grant??
If so how was it spent, and what ever happened to the $75k given by Admin/Council to buy the Opera House(obviously they didn't do it)

thanx 4 the info!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 11:19am
buddhalite:
"See - we both agree - the issue is that the landlords collectively will not return the money - and frankly, I doubt that Mr. Bohannon will either. I don't like flogging dead horses. It was a mistake to begin the program and it should be prevented from reoccurring...the reality is i'd rather focus on learning from our mistakes, preventing the re-occurrence and pushing on toward bigger and better things for our city."

"it SHOULD BE prevented from reoccuring"......but won't be. It will happen again. History tells us that the city will set up their friends with loans and programs that will help selected individuals. That is the mantra for how the downtown development works in many cases.

buddhalite:
"I hope that if I run (and it looks like I certainly will be) that I don't have to sit through all the talk about the old days - I want to move forward and move on."

Ahh buddha, but if you don't know about the past, you are doomed to repeat the mistakes......OR, LEARN about the successes and how they were achieved. I realize that the younger generation doesn't want to hear about the past and want to blaze their own path and make their marks on the world in their own way, but it would be wise and prudent to revisit the successes Middletown has had in the past and compare how they are now. You just might find that the old ways work much better than the changes that were made over the years caused by city leaders who thought they had a better idea. Sometimes, believe it or not, the old time proven ways are best in a given situation. You can join the others on council and follow their town ruining policies or you can do it the right way and research the correct way of doing things for the city. It will be your choice if and when you win a council seat. Do you want Middletown to prosper and regain some of it's image and regional status again by doing things right, or do you want Middletown to remain the poor image it has now with it's lousy schools, poor ammenities, poor job choices, population losses and ghetto building agenda? If you choose the latter, you are no better than the people on council now and in the past and we will have no refreshing choice at voting time. None have done Middletown any favors with their decision making since the 80's. The city has died a slow death (and yes I will say it now) since the great days of the 50's and 60's. I know, I have been here almost the entire time, with my military service being the exception. You have been here a short time compared to some on this forum. You have no basis of comparison concerning how nice it was versus what it is now. What it is now is all some here know, including many city leaders. Trust me, it was much better.

buddhalite:
"......he wasn't a direct beneficiary of a contract or any underhanded dealings"....

But buddha, he took advantage of a PUBLIC TAXPAYER monetary offer from the city to support HIS PRIVATE BUSINESS which in essence is the same as the taxpayers walking up to him and handing them their money to help him in a private business manner. It is wrong for him to take the money and apply it for his own business advantage. What makes it even worse is that he is a city official and is under the microscope by the public and, he broke the trust of the public as to "backroom" dealings within city hall. The very premise of this situation lends itself to distrust, once again, concerning public officials. The city should drop any and all practices of loaning money to ANYONE in the private sector......but they won't. They like their buddies way too much to stop bailing them out with OUR money.

buddhalite:
"IF I thought it would actually make a difference to you or anyone else here - I'd call and ask him to return the money (probably easier if he'd donate it to charity) myself."

No need to call. They won't listen to you or anyone else anyway. They will do as they dam well please. Always have.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 12:41pm
See - this is what I'm talking about.

I'm tired of you talking out both sides of your mouth.  EIther the past was a mess or it isn't- see this is why I don't want to revisit it.

Frankly - the past is the past - the things that worked in the past aren't going to work in this generation anyway - so frankly I want to just quit griping about what has happened that I cant change anyway - and just look forward.  This city has potential - it just has to be dealt with properly.

Either this city is worth fighting for or not.  Your defeatist attitude doesn't help.

And FWIW - this kind of stuff happens under EVERY regime of EVERY government becuase as the old saying goes, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Bob
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 1:39pm
As someone not raised here, and having been a resident for only four years (two as Community Development Coordiantor), I've learned much from people like VietVet, Spriderjohn, Vivian Moon, Paul Renwick, Walter Leap, the late Bert Grimes, Acclaro, Wanda Glover, Rosalean Lindsey, John Soppanish, etc.  Their first-hand knowledge of the history and past governmental actions/inaction can and should provide a solid basis for selecting the most cost-effective and highest/best community development initiatives to return Middletown to its' once proud place of prominence in S.W. Ohio, if not statewide.  To suggest otherwise is simply overlooking reality.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR CONCERNED PARTICIPANTS OF THE MUSA BLOG TO FOCUS UPON THE MEANS TO "PROVIDE THAT BRIGHTER FUTURE" THAT WE SO OFTEN HEAR ABOUT.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 6:14pm
buddhalite:
"I'm tired of you talking out both sides of your mouth. EIther the past was a mess or it isn't- see this is why I don't want to revisit it."

If you take the time to revue all posts I have made on this forum, you will read that I have ALWAYS maintained that the past was better than the present as to condition of this city. I have been very consistent in saying that buddha. It is a fact that the 50's and 60's were much better times here than the 70's, 80's, 90's to current. More money flowing here. More entertainment. Maintaining population growth. The schools were first class. Armco was 9300 strong rather that the anemic 2300 at AK Steel now. Aeronca and the paper mills were in business and employing people. The community was very active and didn't roll the sidewalks up at 6 every night. The community had a strong working class image. Very low crime. No drug issues. City government had more competency. Breile, University and Roosevelt Boulevards were built back then to get around town easier. MUM was built in 1966 and provided a college level education. Roads and infrastructure were in decent shape. People made a livable wage and could maintain their homes. Respectable people lived here. The city didn't look like a third world bombed out trash heap....and on and on.......

No. I have never "talked out both sides of my mouth" on this topic.

buddhalite:
"Frankly - the past is the past - the things that worked in the past aren't going to work in this generation anyway - so frankly I want to just quit griping about what has happened that I cant change anyway - and just look forward. This city has potential - it just has to be dealt with properly"

Wow! A sense of frustration on your part. I just gave you a reason why the past should be examined and positive portions should be used today to improve the city in certain areas. Look, if you review the past, it just may save you time in finding out what worked and what didn't. The past is an archive of do's and don'ts when you need to try new things. You remind me of the young engineers that just started at P&G when I worked there as a technician. We techs would stay in one place working on the same projects over and over again and as such would see what worked and what didn't work many times. Yet, with each new batch of young new hire engineers, eager to make their mark on the P&G world, they would insist we do the same things after being told and shown using old lab notebooks, that what they wanted to do wouldn't work. Young people just don't want to listen to the older folks who have been through it before. You seem to be just like them. I would suggest you listen to the elders of this community. They have seen it all by now. But, it is totally up to you. Go ahead and run for council. Go ahead and make the same mistakes made many times before. Go ahead and negate any positive mark toward bettering this city. Your choice buddha.

buddhalite:
"Either this city is worth fighting for or not. Your defeatist attitude doesn't help"

Ok, look. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE wants this city to prosper more than I do. Hell, I was born here and have many good memories of this city. I came back to live here after the military and could have chosen any place else at the time. I want to see better times for everyone here. I want the city to totally change it's image and be a destination for new families to locate. I want it to be a family oriented city once again with quality residents moving here. It is nowhere to being that now and that is what fuels my anger and frustration at city leaders and their town ruining policies and direction. I'm flat out sick of the way the town is being run after four decades of incompetence. If talking about reality conjures up defeatist talk from you, then you don't see the real picture of what is happening in this city........OR, you are willing to overlook the reality of the situation. Buddha, it is what it is and no amount of sugar coating bullsh*t will gloss over the fact the city has been trashed.

Pig.....lipstick......yeah, you get it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic