FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

O'Reilly's Proposal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O'Reilly's Proposal
    Posted: Mar 08 2017 at 8:22am
Journal story concerning the resistance on the downtown development of an O'Reilly's Auto Parts where the old Nationwide Insurance and auto repair place sit now.

Robinette, who has a poor track record of following up on any downtown development himself is objecting to this. (Does this guy really have any credibility to do any objecting to anything, given his development performance?) Why is he still considered a player in the downtown given his past?

Greenham, downtown director, says she doesn't want an auto parts place at the "entrance to the downtown" as she puts it. Apparently, it is all about what she wants rather than what the people want for the downtown.

But wait!!! Isn't there an Auto Zone right next door to her downtown entrance and, as such, by Auto Zone being there, has already blown her theory out of the water for the correct "entry look" as to her wishes?

Greenham, if we simulate a "Stefano's" look and put some café tables and chairs out front, a chalk board with a "special of the day", some latte and expresso machines and some umbrella tables with designer chairs scattered about, would that satisfy the "fru fru, cultural, artzy" image you are demanding for your little utopia? Lord, what pompous thinking reside within the controllers of the downtown area.

And, of course, we have the self righteous, self-imposed "Historical Commission" interjecting their two cents worth into this as usual as to what they think is acceptable without giving any thought about what the majority would like to see happen. Why do we listen to these people who are so full of themselves and why should we care what they think?

Time to get off the high horse and come down to earth with the rest of us mere mortals downtown people. Your arrogance is impeding your desire to achieve the goal of creating downtown interest.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2017 at 8:43am
Maybe those objecting could buy the involved properties and use THEIR OWN $$ to create something else??
Besides--I don't believe that the mentioned parcels are considered part of the DMI kingdom.

BTW---have the objectors(and everyone else) recently driven down Central Ave from the tracks? Pretty depressing scenery.

Does anyone take the Hysterical Society seriously?
What power do they have?
What is historical at the mentioned corner?
Do they object to a large junkyard/scrapyard in the center of town?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2017 at 9:00am
What are we seeing @ the location?

A dead possibly vacant Rite Aid--empty Beatty corner--Gin Mill-vacant car lot--two large empty parcels from a disastrously expensive failed Duncan project--a train stop that never happened

Maybe our destiny is to become the auto parts mecca of the area?
Probably would create the most traffic as compared to prior and current "downtown" ventures

apologize for the cynicism, but take an objective look at the surrounding area discussed---maybe a few more Dollar Generals?

jmo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2017 at 11:21am
Not to mention yet another car parts business next to the Rite-Aid at the University Blvd/Manchester Ave. intersection and across from the train station.

A potential for three car parts places within a block of each other? Kinda saturated isn't it?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2017 at 4:53am
You can't make this stuff up!!!

What a bunch of hypocrites!!!

The Kangaroo Kourt Historical Society approved, without a question, the use of JUNK auto hoods as SIDING for the Pendleton Art Center smack dab in the center of their "Mecca" (the corner of Central and Broad), yet now they object to a place that sells NEW auto parts INSIDE a new building???

Thank God that someone came to their senses before they actually plastered those junk auto parts all along the outsides of the PAC.  What a laughing stock our poor city would have been!!!

The Hysterical commission AND city council ought to be run out of town on a rail!!!  (I'll spring for the tar and feathers!)

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2017 at 9:36pm
Once again a legitimate business, O’Reilly Auto Parts, wanting to build in Middletown is harassed by the city’s pompous bureaucracy.   In this mornings (4-7-17) Journal-News article in section B under Focus on Business, O’Reilly Auto Parts announced withdrawal/reschedule of a Board of Zoning Appeals hearing “so that it could revise its plans for the site in the 1800 block of Central Avenue.” The article goes on to say, “The developer is seeking six variances to develop the new store, an investment of nearly $2 million, in the Urban Core Central zoning district from the BZA after being denied on March 1 by the city Historic Commission, which reviews zoning requests in the downtown area.” To the city administration’s glee and under their direction, Journal-News makes all this sound reasonable, especially with no opposing opinions being expressed.

The area of the 1800 block of Central was NOT part of the original “Urban Core Central zoning district” nor is it part of a truly Historic District. Does the city administration make this non-sense up as they go? The Historic Commission, a bureaucracy created by city administration (not part of the Historical Society) should have NO SAY outside of historic areas. The City is REQUIRING that they seek six variances in a bombed out looking, slum area where drunks may now be permitted, by city ordinance, to walk around with alcoholic drinks in hand. Sound unreasonable or historic??

The paper quotes City Planner, Ashley Combs as saying “the Historic Commission . . . denied the building materials for the proposed building because it was CMU block, which is man-made and not natural stone,”… also “Combs said the commission denied the site plan because of parking in front and not the required zero feet setback.” The stringent requirements of natural stone and no parking in front WILL BE introduced in the NEW downtown master plan which has NOT YET BEEN APPROVED by City Council. That’s right, the Historic Commission wants to ENFORCE NEW RULES RETROACTIVELY, especially for O’Reilly.

Does the commission understand that their historic district in downtown is mainly brick construction which is man-made and not natural stone?   CMU block is manufactured to simulate stone. You can count on one hand all of the natural stone buildings in ALL of downtown Middletown. Isn’t this the same commission that agreed to allow old car hoods to be hung on the PAC building? I guess it’s who you know, not what you do. As to the parking variance; in Central’s 1800 block the area businesses all have front parking and large setbacks, completely contrary to the Historic Commission’s RETROACTIVE requirements for O’Reilly’s building.

This dictator style government is a major reason why Middletown continues to flounder while those around us succeed. To those that want the building to “complement” downtown, how can a natural stone building complement a bombed out slum area, even if it has a zero setback?

The Journal-News says: “...the developer could take the matter to the Butler County Common Pleas Court for resolution.” The lesson for anyone wanting to bring a business or jobs to Middletown is: you will spend a small fortune trying to get permits and variances and possibly end up in an expensive court battle for trying to do the right thing! It is surprising that O’Reilly is pursuing this so aggressively.

And the paper also quotes Mike Robinette: “If they want to be downtown, they should do it in compliance with the zoning code… We welcome them but we want them to do it within the zoning code.” How can anyone with several abandoned, dismal failures involving downtown properties (in which likely none of his own money was used) make such pompous, judgmental statements?

The Journal-News also says: “Middletown City Council is currently reviewing an update to the city’s zoning code as well as a NEW master plan for downtown.” (The plan that has NOT been approved.) I ask the citizens to look these over carefully. The new (monstrously shameful) zoning code can be downloaded from CityofMiddletown.org. It is way too mind boggling to read much less make any sense of it. The city is counting on citizens to just think its OK rather than take considerable trouble to see what it really means. The worst thing council could do is adopt a new zoning code that will expand the already crippling zoning code. The growth and health of our city depends on less government intrusion not the total intrusion of every aspect of everyday life in Middletown through zoning and building codes. Our administration draws up a new “master plan for downtown” any time they want to grab more control over “their” downtown.

Council, if you refuse to help with Middletown’s recovery, at least stop throwing up barriers and get out of the way of those who do want to improve Middletown. And take Adkins, his boat load of bureaucrats, and your “crippling codes and plans” with you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2017 at 9:53am
Robinette is the last person who should have a sayso in anything concerning development. He has yet to demonstrate any competency in development in any, of many chances he has had. The man has no credibility in this city. Son, just go to Appleby's, invite your buddy AJ Smith to have a few more before leaving town.

This so-called "Historical Committee", obviously comprised of pompous, egotistical, self righteous a----, needs to butt out of any development concerning downtown and need to either be dissolved or go down to S. Main St to harass those people who seem to enjoy the constricting, confining oversight of their properties as to "historical accuracy". What BS. The problems with this little committee didn't stop when Marty Kohler left town did it. And just why do they have any sayso in property that far out of the downtown core area anyway? Try occupying your time with something useful and constructive instead of your "business busting" attitude. Enough.

Adkins, this committee is hurting this city rather than helping it progress. It is a roadblock to attracting new business. With the semi-warm attraction to new business in your downtown, the last thing you need are self-imposed judges laying down silly, costly architectural rules for business development. Time you reeled these people in and disbanded their operation. Let the private sector develop the downtown. Stop trying to control what develops down there. This city government should be a helpful tool for private sector growth, not a hard-nosed crippler driving new business away. Be there to help make it easier by relaxing the ordinances and giving pro-rated tax breaks as the business grows. Then, stay the hell out of the way.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2017 at 10:48am
Robinette's bar had an open house last night
big crowd--nice place
wine bar was rocking also
nice to see-----
so--who is on the historical COMMISSION??
is this a Council-appointed board?
what powers do they REALLY have?
middielover View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 3:10pm
MUSA is full of a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks that want to criticize while they sit on their ass and do nothing.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 3:38pm
Spider
I used to frequent your dads businesses, he knew how to run a successful business. You on other hand only knew how to run the family business into the ground. What qualifies you to criticize others?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 4:00pm
hmmm
I ran our company for 35 years, and had a lot of success. I also had to put it to bed when every similar business died a miserable death. I negotiated 4 business and property sales to get out alive. I have served on numerous admin and area boards/commissions and have supported schools, athletic programs, arts, neighborhoods and even our former downtown area. I have a lifetime of experience in all areas of the community. As for my father, he urged me to sell out five years before I did. He could see what our town had become, and was very disappointed with the "leadership". Soory to disappoint yopu and read your opinion of me.

There is a reason why we have no neighborhood markets or retail left within our city away from the interstate. But we have dollar/convenient stores and pawn shops on every block. Please tell me why.

On the other hand, just what are your accomplishments, middielover?
Where have you served?
What entities do you support financially?
And how are you qualified to criticize the caring people on this forum?

What do you do that is a positive, since you seem like a major downer negative person?
What businesses do you have?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 4:06pm
And a sincere thank you for the kind words about my father and your past support!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 5:19pm
Understand whistlersmom is none other than the city's long-time Law Director. Seems like someone living off the taxpayers all these years should be the last one to criticize others.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 5:22pm
Vet and Whistler
Seems like Robinette and many others are trying to improve City. What are you two doing besides bitching and moaning?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 8:10pm
Pretty funny, mlover--since the entire former downtown area has lived off of the taxpayer for close to three decades.
Interesting if current and former admin players are going rogue and revealing bad city practices. If so, maybe we should thank them and ? Council and mr.A?

Please understand--I like mr.A, wish him success and would help him in pretty much every way if I could.
I Spent Friday evening in three local establishments, had a good time in all three, and complimented them.
I still contribute to many local efforts, and seriously donated to two of them in the last two weeks.
I'll match my level of local support to anything that you have ever done and will come out clearly on top--if it really matters...

We ALL want the ENTIRE city to prosper.
We simply differ on the plan imo
Sad to read you as so spiteful and insulting.
Hope that your mental state improves....
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 6:16am
Originally posted by middielover middielover wrote:

Understand whistlersmom is none other than the city's long-time Law Director. Seems like someone living off the taxpayers all these years should be the last one to criticize others.

Sincerely doubt that Les Landen is whistlersmom. Too docile and too much a "company man" to criticize the organization. He is a team player and not apt to go against the grain. Nope, just not buying it middlelover.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 6:43am

Vet and Whistler
Seems like Robinette and many others are trying to improve City. What are you two doing besides bitching and moaning?

Been here since 1948. Seen the good times and now the bad. Hard to watch the slow death of a city and tends to anger the hell out of me.

We're trying to improve the city too middielover. Trying to get them to see the error of their ways at times by pointing out some common sense ideas. Hard to participate when your ideas don't agree with the city's plan. I have been before council. Have written letters to the editor in the past. Have gone to school board meetings and participated in the school meetings at the high school years ago when teams were formed for curriculum, finances and other categories. Have participated in forums when council members back in the day thought it was important enough to hear what the community had to say. Haven't had a community forum since the Laubach days. By the current council members not having open forums, that tells us something that supports what I am talking about. It indicates a closed mind on their part and an exclusionary attitude concerning the citizens input. They simply don't want to hear from the people middielover. How is one who has a different opinion on things to participate and be received with an open mind by city leaders in the current climate? The theme in this town, for many years now, has been to include all who think like the administration and to exclude all who have differing opinions. This is not an open minded, all inclusive city government we have here. Their way or the highway type of people. Only a person in denial would see it any other way IMO.

And now to preach a tad bit.......

I can't participate as much as I want to nowadays middlielover. You see, I have a full time job out of the city and come home to my other job taking care of my paralyzed wife in the evening and overnight. I'll trade you lifestyles anytime you want to so that I may get involved more than I do now. If only you could walk a mile in my shoes for one day, much less seven + years and counting, you would understand that life can be a bitch to live sometimes. It's a hard road until you die and sometimes you don't have a sayso how your life turns out. Enjoy your freedom. It is taken for granted until it is taken away from you. Trust me, I know.

In the meantime, keep stirring the pot and insulting the forum members. I encourage it simply because I like to argue. It is anger therapy for me.     
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 8:29am
Vet
You are a winer
Put up or shut up
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 9:11am

Vet
You are a winer
Put up or shut up

Whiner? Naw. Just telling it the way it is.

"Put up or shut up"? Perhaps we should direct that statement to you. You still haven't addressed spiderjohn's questions as to your contributions to the city.

To make your criticism and accusations creditable, you need to give us an overview of your credentials that indicate you are doing more than we are doing to improve the city. Otherwise, you are just running your mouth with nothing to back it up. As of now, the negativity you so despise is coming from you. By the way, the word whiner has an "h" included.

Someone is a tad bit cranky and needs a nap.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 10:28am
No sense in debating with hot air, Vet
mlover obviously has issues and she is little more than a cyber troll bully--outing mlover is not my job though
That seems to be the line of defense(er---attack?)--just causes more division and defense mechanisms to kick in
mr.A needs that kind of support like he needs a stick in the eye

interesting if admin insiders are coming out with info

hey--I had a good time in the former downtown area last Friday
It is becoming something--hopefully fueled by the next generation shaping mtown's future
bring it on!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 10:43am
spider:

"hey--I had a good time in the former downtown area last Friday
It is becoming something--hopefully fueled by the next generation shaping mtown's future
bring it on"

Bring it on indeed. Nice to see the effort. Don't care for the growth downtown based on the taxpayer dime though. Needs to be all private sector money used here along with the risk. Too many giveaways. Not the taxpayer's job nor the city's/historical committee's interjection of rules (for some) to set up private business ventures. This is where the city is wrong IMO.

Realize middielover is on the forum for the sole purpose of agitation. Not a bad job so far.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2017 at 8:57am
https://youtu.be/s9PQ7qPkluM

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2017 at 10:12am
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 10:54am
According to the Journal, today's the day for the O'Reilly appeal hearing. Excerpts.....

"If the city Board of Zoning Appeals approves variances that were requested and denied by the Historic Commission, O’Reilly will still need to get Historic Commission’s approval before being able to proceed with building the store."

Seriously? The "Historic Commission" approval is needed? It's an auto parts store, not a historical place of importance.

"According to the city staff report, the variances requested include:
•Locate the front entrance and primary building frontage on side elevation facing Charles Street
•Permit less than 60 percent ground floor transparency on the prima1y building frontage
•No parking lot screening
•More than zero feet setback facing Charles Street
•Building with less than 70 percent of site width on Grimes Street, Central Avenue and Charles Street"

Business friendly rules for sure.

Did they give their buddy Robinette this much crap when he tried to develop his many attempts at opening a business downtown? Looks like Robinette has a Facebook page denouncing the "strip shopping center approach" concerning O'Reilly's. With his track record, is he really qualified to be the resident critic here?

They're going to go too far in imposing their little rules that O'Reilly's just might back out of the deal altogether.

HC and city, just stay out of the private sector business development and things will go a heck of a lot more smoothly. Too controlling, too self-important and too pompous.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2017 at 1:41pm
Well, yet another Journal article update on the O'Reilly development circus. Gonna give them some breaks to the tune of 6 grand but I see there are stipulations for the developer to meet by a certain date or face some consequences.

I see no one in the city hierarchy has told the Historical Committee to butt out. They sure do gum up the works don't they. Self imposed important people who aren't important at all I guess. More or less worthless as I see it. Why are they still considered as needed? Disband them city officials.

Just another example of the city defying their so-called "business friendly" nonsense they talk about periodically. This has taken way longer than it should have taken because of the non-essential intrusions of the Historical clan and all the ridiculous roadblocks the city places in front of developers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic