Print Page | Close Window

Safety Levy Is On The Way!

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Income and Property Tax
Forum Description: Discuss Tax issues, current, past and upcoming.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3629
Printed Date: Apr 19 2024 at 7:41pm

Topic: Safety Levy Is On The Way!
Posted By: VietVet
Subject: Safety Levy Is On The Way!
Date Posted: Jan 23 2011 at 9:46am
From Saturday's retreat.....And while Laubach was against renewing the public safety levy, the other six members directed City Manager Judy Gilleland to work on developing a plan of action if a renewal were placed back on the ballots.
Gilleland said she will ask the union representatives from the fire and police departments to present their position on the levy at the first council work session set to begin at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 1.
Members plan to discuss in what form the possible tax levy may be presented to voters, what marketing may be done to promote it and when it may be placed on the ballots. Who's fooling who here Gilleland? You are trying to find any and all ways of revenue generation (fed money for Section 8 and HUD crap, taxing the hell out of us citizens) EXCEPT JOB CREATION.

Public Works Director Dave Duritsch told council only $800,000 is earmarked for road work in 2011, which is about 2.6 percent of the city’s entire budget. Out of a $30.5 million dollar budget, only $800,000 is allocated to roads. Pathetic!!!!

Duritsch said he plans to roll out a new program soon where residents could petition the city to complete work on their streets if 60 percent of all property owners on that street agree.
At least a portion of the work on those streets would be directly assessed to those property owners’ taxes. While residents may have interest and petition to have work done on their streets, the city still has to figure out a way to pay for it on the front end, which means collecting those assessments, Duritsch said. So, the property owner gets screwed again, right Dave? How do we win with this suggestion Davy Boy?

The city currently depends heavily upon state and federal incentives to fund road work, Duritsch said. He told council he would like to see the city designate at least $3 million a year to bring the city’s roads to a “good rating” within the next 20 years. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

Most members agreed IF the Cincinnati State project can be achieved, it could go a long way to help increase education and job opportunities in Middletown while potentially spurring more development. (if this event is that important, why was it handled with such a high financial risk and a dam handshake on the city's part)This deal could fall through at any given moment and the city is left the big loser.....again.

“It’s the one thing we have in the process that can bring jobs and turn around our downtown,” said Vice Mayor Anita Scott Jones. You hope Ms. Jones......you hope. Cross your fingers because the way it is being handled, there are no guarantees, just a "wing and a prayer".

Replies:
Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Jan 23 2011 at 7:52pm

According to the newspaper:

Gilleland said she will ask the union representatives from the fire and police departments to present their position on the levy at the first council work session set to begin at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 1.

The last time fire and police “union representatives” spoke to council the great majority of them were from out of town. The majority of our police and firefighters are from out of town. Now, I am a usually a great supporter of our police and firefighters, but I will have great difficulty understanding if out-of-towners are invited to speak at this meeting while the citizens, who are the REAL stake holders and bill payers, are forced to remain silent.

Then City Hall cannot understand why they have an unfriendly image!!!

The newspaper continues:

Members plan to discuss in what form the possible tax levy may be presented to voters, what marketing may be done to promote it and when it may be placed on the ballots.

Now, I am not an expert on electioneering law, but are these not government employees being paid with taxpayers’ funds??? They certainly are acting legally, even if unintelligently, by making the business decision to ask for a tax increase at this time, but is it legal for them, as municipal employees, to MARKET or discuss marketing strategies as a body??? Where is the Law Director??? Is he simply waiting for ANOTHER lawsuit instead of advising these people of the law???  Isn't "marketing" just another word for "CAMPAIGNING"?

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jan 23 2011 at 8:04pm
"Members also directed city staff to make improving Middletown’s image a priority in 2011."

I guess they figure that the best way to start is by RAISING taxes??? Confused

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Posted By: middie83
Date Posted: Jan 23 2011 at 8:32pm
Why don't you tell us Mike, what you think a firefighter and cop should be paid. How would you go about things here? I would love to hear your SOLUTIONS.

Date Posted: Jan 23 2011 at 9:38pm
Middie:
There is no easy answer to that.  You see, unlike many I am a strong backer of our police and firefighters and always have been.  Just ask your present and past chiefs.
Also unlike many, I believe that our police and firefighters are worth more than ZERO, which is what some of them will be getting if we cannot find a REAL solution to our city's budget problems.

One thing is certain:  This problem must be solved by Middletonians...and must involve all Middletonians, not just a chosen few.  It is not a question of how much public safety is worth.  It is a question of from where we can get the money to pay for it, and how much.

I will expand on this later.  This will take a lot of typing and I am not a good typist.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 23 2011 at 10:06pm
By the way, Middie, you are quick to question me on this one issue.  Have you questioned where all of the money raised by the safety levy to date has gone???
Have you questioned any of the questionable spending in other areas of the budget???
Have you ever wondered if staff has worked as hard finding money for public safety as they have for bike paths, PAC, historic facades, doggie parks, green spaces and the like???
Or are you a "one trick pony" and the heck with everything else???

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 2:00am

Middie:

You ask: “Why don't you tell us Mike, what you think a firefighter and cop should be paid.”

That is a loaded question. I will try to answer it, but before I do, let us examine it.

Why do you ask it? If you read and really try to understand my posts that seemed to provoke your questions, you will find that they actually had nothing to do with the worth of “a firefighter or cop”. (I’m guessing that you are a firefighter and not a “cop”.)

The points I raised were:

Council and the City Manager inviting out-towners to speak while forcing citizens of Middletown to remain silent. (I am guessing that you are an out-of-town resident, as well.)

The legalities of using a City Council meeting and city staff to plan a campaign for a tax levy.

The apparent dichotomy of improving the image of our City’s by raising taxes.

You see??? NOTHING about cutting the pay of police or firefighters--nothing at all!!!

However, you went on to add: “How would you go about things here? I would love to hear your SOLUTIONS.” So I will try to address this difficult issue.

But first, let’s get one thing straight: How much I think they should be paid; how much I think they are worth; none of that matters. I actually think that we need more police officers on the street, and have so stated. That doesn’t matter. What YOU think doesn’t matter either, if we do not have the money.

So, perhaps you (and most of Council, including those who are Republican-In-Name-Only tax-and-spenders) think just raising taxes is the ticket. Well, not everyone agrees. Many, including many mainstream economists, believe that raising taxes in a recession is the worst thing to do. When we tried it last time, the safety levy didn’t raise the money that was expected.

• Does anyone really think having the HIGHEST payroll tax in the valley will bring new businesses knocking on our door???
  • Is reducing the take-home pay of our local wage-earners somehow likely to reduce crime??? 
  • Will reducing disposable income of all of our wage-earing residents "improve our city's image" and draw the new businesses necessary to make our City's economy grow???
  • Is that best for the long-term health of Middletown???

Well, some firefighters who live out of town may not care about any of that. As long as they get their raises until they retire in a few years, they don’t care about Middletown or its long-term health or its property values or its future, especially since they are not on the bottom of the seniority list. It won’t be them that gets laid off when the City runs out of money!!! But what about the younger firefighters and police--the ones who will be laid off when revenues decline? Some of them might actually even live in Middletown. What about them? Who is looking out for them???

So, my plan would be to first reduce all waste possible, no matter what department, no matter where the money comes from (federal, state, or local taxes). This includes unnecessary personnel. Redirect all time and effort wasted pursuing funds for unnecessary or frivolous items such as gateways, water features, historic facades, bike paths--you name it!!! If it isn’t an absolute necessity for public safety or infrastructure, forget about it!!! Then, redirect all of that effort into the pursuit of additional funds for public safety and infrastructure. Likewise, spend as much time and effort trying to shift money from unnecessary funds into funds accessible for public safety and infrastructure as we now do the other way around.

After that, reassess our budget. If honest efforts are made in the above directions, and we are still in budget trouble, then and only then hard choices must be made.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 3:13am
Oh Middie, any idea what has happened to the roughly TEN MILLION DOLLARS collected from the current "Safety Levy" over the last 3+ years???  (Or don't YOU care???)

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 7:38pm
Mike: A lot of what you have to say I agree with. I understand that you want people that live within the city to have their say, which I don't disagree with. However, thats not to say that employees that live outside the city limits don't have great ideas and take great pride in the city that they work for.

I do care about the past public safety levy and I do feel that the city is going to have a hard time asking citizens for a renewal or increase especially after they told people that if passed there would be no reduction in services. And since we have seen positions in both organizations cut.

My biggest problem is that it seems a lot of people think Laubach is this golden child that he is far from in my opinion. (However, just pick up the Middletown Journal and you see either nothing about his problems he has his first year or you see just how awesome he is.) Laubach, has been reached out to by the unions to try and talk about these financial issues and coming up with solutions. Yet he ignores them or just doesn't talk to them at all. Must be too busy jumping on the coat tails of the new Governor.

I think we both will probably agree that our City Manager is not doing what is best for the city. And I will also agree with you that raising and raising taxes is not the answer. Waste does need to be cut, I just don't think there is any more to cut in public safety or you will start to see adverse affects.

Posted By: randy
Date Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 10:08pm
Middie83:  you say in your above post

"My biggest problem is that it seems a lot of people think Laubach is this golden child that he is far from in my opinion. (However, just pick up the Middletown Journal and you see either nothing about his problems he has his first year or you see just how awesome he is.) Laubach, has been reached out to by the unions to try and talk about these financial issues and coming up with solutions. Yet he ignores them or just doesn't talk to them at all. Must be too busy jumping on the coat tails of the new Governor."

With a statement like like that I could only assume that you are a union member or friends with those that are? so are you telling us that unions reps have reached out to Mr Laubach to discuss financial issues (Since that council meeting back a few months ago) and he has ignored them and not returned calls? Do you know this to be a fact? I have no problem calling Josh, and asking if this is the case. And if so why?

But if he tells me that this is not the case and that no one has contacted him to discuss this issue, does that then mean that someone on the union side is not being honest here?

-------------
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com" rel="nofollow - www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357

Date Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 6:53am
middie83- I'm "middie66"

On the subject of unions......Mr. Laubach and most everyone else in town is aware that the town is in desperate financial straights. They are constantly looking to cut where they can, and have in the city building, although not enough as yet. According to city budget data, the highest costs to the city are in salaries/benefits costs/retirement costs, where, I believe, 75% of the budget is absorbed. IMO, Mr. Laubach went where no other councilperson had the nerve to go in questioning the costs of the salary/benefits packages of our union tied fire and police departments. As a result, an army of outside public union members flooded the council meeting demanding that Laubach "back off" looking in this area. IMO, Laubach has every right, on behalf of the city taxpayer, to look at this as a budget reduction and secondly, the outside union mob needed to mind their own business and stay out of the affairs of the unionized city of Middletown employees. We don't give a dam what outside union people have to say about the internal city/union negotiations and issues quite frankly.

I have worked for over 40 years for eight private companies, none of which were unionized. The companies ranged from 400 to over 100,000 worldwide. I was brought up in a union household with my grandfather working under the union as a four-high temper mill roller in West Processing at Armco for 46 years. I understand the need for a union in certain circumstances.....that being unrealistic management. The problem I see with unions is, that they start with good intentions...ie...improve working conditions. wages, benefits, representation against unfair labor practices, etc. However, I also know that unions, once the smoke has cleared, occasionally, start demanding what the company can't afford to give. They lose focus on the original intent of organizing and become greedy to the point of breaking the financial back of the employer. The company is buried financially trying to keep up with union demands and ends up going under. As I see it, the same is true with the city (and the Middletown schools) acting as the "company". They can't absorb the monetary demands for more money, bloated salaries, better benefits, better retirement costs, etc. The teacher's union costs are a huge portion of the school budget just as the fire/police union costs are with the city. Question for you, assuming you are in or on the side of the unions.....do the unions in this town understand and agree with the financial burdens placed on city coffers with their yearly negotiations? Do they know that the city can't afford some of these demands and actually needs to cut back in order to stay afloat? Would the union membership be willing to freeze pay and pay more on their benefits premiums through payroll deductions as we in the private sector have been doing for years? Or, is the union stance one of not giving an inch and think the city is feeding them a load of crap?

By the way, Laubach is hardly a "golden child" but he's a hell of alot closer to representing the people than any member of council right now. Ms. Scott-Jones shows signs of people representation also. The other five.....either have no clue nor care what the people want. They have an "anti-citizen" agenda. Laubach and Jones are the closest we have to what we need for the good of this city. JMO

Date Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 7:01am

Middie:

First, let me thank you for a civil and considerate response. That is not always the case on internet forums and I do realize that my posts can often be perceived as abrasive.

I did not mean to imply that our public safety “employees that live outside the city limits don't have great ideas and take great pride in the city that they work for”!!! Of course they do!!! And they certainly would not subject themselves to the personal risks required without also having a great deal of compassion for all of their fellow citizens, regardless of corporation lines. Perhaps I did not make myself clear. Please read it again:

“The last time fire and police “union representatives” spoke to council the great majority of them were from out of town. The majority of our police and firefighters are from out of town. Now, I am a usually a great supporter of our police and firefighters, but I will have great difficulty understanding if out-of-towners are invited to speak at this meeting while the citizens, who are the REAL stake holders and bill payers, are forced to remain silent.”

The “beef” that I had was not with who might speak. My problem was that it appeared that City Hall appears to be inviting out-of-towners to speak their mind on the issue, while at the same time purposefully denying our very citizens--including any public safety employees who might be Middletonians but not union reps--from a similar opportunity!!! I thought, and continue to think, that to be insulting and outrageous. I think that any public safety employees, especially those who may be Middletown residents, who may not agree 100% with their union representatives, or who may have other great ideas, should feel likewise.

Next, you mentioned:

“I do care about the past public safety levy and I do feel that the city is going to have a hard time asking citizens for a renewal or increase especially after they told people that if passed there would be no reduction in services. And since we have seen positions in both organizations cut.”

I believe that a large percentage of Middletonians share those sentiments. Even more importantly, in my view, is the fact that the current “public safety tax” was promised to be used for PUBLIC SAFETY ONLY!!! There has been some TEN MILLION DOLLARS of payroll tax since then. Now it seems as if no one can explain where all of this money went. Certainly anyone can understand why we may be hesitant to be “suckered in” again. Based on this alone, would YOU believe them this time???

Next you address issues with Mr. Laubach:

“My biggest problem is that it seems a lot of people think Laubach is this golden child that he is far from in my opinion. (However, just pick up the Middletown Journal and you see either nothing about his problems he has his first year or you see just how awesome he is.) Laubach, has been reached out to by the unions to try and talk about these financial issues and coming up with solutions. Yet he ignores them or just doesn't talk to them at all. Must be too busy jumping on the coat tails of the new Governor.”

I cannot speak to his relationship (or lack thereof) with the unions, or with our new governor. I simply am not privy to any information other than what I have seen on TVMiddletown, or read in the newspaper of in public documents. I have never seen him at any Republican functions. (The only ones that I have attended have been Butler County Central Committee meetings.) And believe me, I have NO influence with The Middletown Journal.

However, as far as his being a “golden child”, I can discuss that. Now I realize that I write more (and longer) posts here than any but the most rabid Middletown political “junkies” would read, but my writings are here for the record. I have supported, and OPPOSED, Mr. Laubach both here and in a few public meetings on an issue-by-issue basis, just as I have Mr. Smith!!! Some might say that Mr. Smith is the “golden boy” in the view of union members, but that has not stopped me from applauding him when I have thought him to be correct on unpopular stances, just as I have criticized Mr. Laubach on some popular stances.

While I may be too conservative for many folk’s taste, I assure you that I try my best to judge each issue on the merits, and I support anyone’s right to disagree. Strong, factual arguments have often swayed me.
You summarized:

“I think we both will probably agree that our City Manager is not doing what is best for the city. And I will also agree with you that raising and raising taxes is not the answer. Waste does need to be cut, I just don't think there is any more to cut in public safety or you will start to see adverse affects.”

You are correct!!! But this is just a re-statement of the problem. We cut all waste, and then we must begin making hard choices. It may be that we will have to begin trying to choose between tremendously difficult adverse effects.

Many Americans already are at that point. Many entire cities already are at that point.

If I had either an easy or a certain answer, I surely would have shared it long before now.

It would be good to be chosen king!!!  LOL LOL LOL

-------------

Posted By: Dead man walkin'
Date Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 7:27am

Maybe they should do like they want to do with the Censored street paving.

Maybe fire and cops should be free for the historic districs and then only the other streets that vote to pay for it should get it. Censored

-------------
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)

Posted By: randy
Date Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 10:42am

I just had an interesting phone call with Mr. Laubach, and he has told me that since that council meeting when all the union members showed no one has contacted him to discuss any issues.

He did goon to say that, at this point he couldn’t talk to any union members because they are getting ready to begin contract talks.

So there you have it Middie83, what do you say to this? Have union members/leaders contacted him or not and do you have any proof of this?

-------------
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com" rel="nofollow - www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357

Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 8:55am
@randy: Laubach was contacted I know for a fact multiple times prior to his "union" motion to discuss issues. And right after he made his motion he was contacted to discuss the issue and it wasn't until I believe a day before the council meeting he finally briefly returned a call. Phone records could be obtained to prove this. Union reps I think, (don't want to put words or actions on anyone,) contacted him to speak on the issue and explain their position but when he did not return email or phone calls the unions felt they needed to make a voice be heard.

One of my biggest problems I have is they keep brining up Arbitration on contract negotiations. It has been I believe over 10 years since a public safety contract went to arbitration. Thus the city has agreed to raises and then council has voted on said contracts and approved them. I'm sorry but if council (past members, some current) looked at the budget and thought, "this is just too much, the city can't afford these raises." Why in the world would you vote to approve it?? VOTE NO then!! Also @Viet, on your question of pay freezes and so forth. The city manager even admitted in that "union" council meeting the fire union came to her willing to talk about possible concessions and she passed that up because not all of the city's unions were on board. Sorry, but shame on her! Who knows what kind of agreement could have been made there and put the city that much closer to a balanced budget. But yet she will be one of the first people to make them look like the bad guys in all of this!

@Mike: I think the view of Mr. Smith being the Golden boy for the unions gets painted mainly due to the fact that he has done multiple ride alongs to try and understand what the jobs in public safety entail and he keeps a very open line of communication with both management and union reps. As well as we all know he is very Democratic and a lot of his votes and views during council meeting show that to the public. I as well don't always agree with him and have expressed this to him at times.

I think I'm to the point that I wish the state would come in and audit the books on this city. Like you said Mike, where did the money go??

Posted By: acclaro
Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 11:04am
Is someone missing the fact that the city's local audit group, Clarke and Co., audits the city's records annually, and the city has a sterling record associated with the audit? Why would the city audit Middletown's books when its outside auditor has a multiple decade track record of success with no problems? Someone better step forward and back up these allegations or loose all credibility with senseless allegations that encourage a "conspiracy" sterotype. If there is wrongdoing, report it.

As for Mr. Smith riding shotgun in ambulances, that's to position himself for a job and get in the good graces of those he rides, which should NOT be allowed by the fire chief or police chief. Let his resume get him a job, not being a shill for the union. 

Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 12:04pm
acclaro- You seem very defensive when discussing Clarke and Co. Because the city has been using Clarke. Shaeffer (sp?) and Co. for so long and because they are a local company and because there may be suspicion that the two are "happy together", isn't it a possibility that one could have thoughts that some impropriety (whether intentional or non-intentional) could occur since it is so convenient and cozy? Perhaps the auditor may overlook something that may be questioned by a truely outside, independent, non-biased intervention. I would be suspicious of this arrangement. No senseless conpiracies at this point but certainly appears to be a "close arrangement" for the city. I would suggest that council ask the city to use another auditor next time to "verify" the findings of Clarke. That would go a long way toward providing a feeling of confidence as to the validity of Clarke's performance, wouldn't it?

If Smith rides along, is the city liable for his safety while doing this? If so, doesn't that place the city in a precarious position to be sued by Smith if something should happen? What if he is shot while riding in a police cruiser? How fast will he be at the lawyer's office with a city lawsuit? OR.....does he sign a paper stating he will not sue the city during his ride-a-longs?

Posted By: Paul Nagy
Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 12:07pm
Acclaro,
       With the financial history of Middletown being what it is, It seems totally naive to suggest that because Clark, Schaffer and Hackett did the city audit for many years that there were no problems and the audit was at arms length.  Many of us never regarded them as "an outside auditor". As far as reporting allegations and wrongdoing isn't that also a bit naive when you are dealing with municipal government that has benn suspect in their financial dealings for decades? 
        Having an annual audit doesn't prove much. Now, if there was a professional investigative audit I think we would all feel much more secure.
        Thanks for the thoughtfulness of the post. I believe it raises a great subject for thought.
         Paul Nagy 

Posted By: Observer
Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 1:34pm

I think it's very unlikely that a quality company like Clark, Schaffer and Hackett would purposefully look over an error during an audit,  Working for a small business I know that no client is worth the decades it takes to garner an excellent reputation, like C.S.H has.  I can only imagine the lawsuits, firings and financial damages that would result from purposefully overlooking errors.  As for unintentionally overlooking something...I would venture to say an out of town group would be equally likely to make the same potential unintentional error.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 1:54pm
I concur wholeheartedly with Observer. The point was, the State should audit Middletown. Lets think through this logically. Why would the State invest mney in auditing the city of Middletown when its outsider auditor CERTIFIED their findings? It is nonsensical and would NEVER occur.

With all due respect to Mr. Nagy, Vet, others, these speculative allegations undermine credibility when many are attempting to gain it. Why would CSH put their reputation in harms' way? They simply would not do so.

Now, if the allegations the city promised funds collected for police and fire levy collection were distributed in part, to other departments, and the ballot langauge was broken, then that is a more serious matter, but has absolutely nothing to do with a State audit. Many confuse allegations of moving funds from the general fund to another as an accounting errorto be remedied by an audit. The State would not perform such an audit, and if there is an allegation movement took place that cannot be accounted, that's a different issue, which forensic accounting comes into play, an Enron deal.

I simply point out allegations, inneuendo, and suspicions do not outweigh facts. Facts are your friends, not speculation. Sometimes we cannot see the forest for the trees, and vice versa. The State would never do an audit based upon CSH's past certified audit IMHO.    

Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 2:16pm
Fair enough acclaro and observer......then given the information you have provided, how would one proceed to have the monies moved from one fund to the other within the city budget, if that is not the job of Clarke, S. and Hackett and not done with a state audit? Who would one contact to have a group come in to look at the city's books as to fund transfers and the whereabouts of some of this alledged missing money people keep talking about? IE...how do we get a fair evaluation of what Carolus is doing with all the money movement if we can't believe what comes out of city hall?

Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 4:46pm
Acclaro/Observer,
        Again, I suggest you are naive and protest too much in the  direction of the great honesty we can expect from a government entity.. I'm thankful that people can look at a situation(s) and have two completely opposite views of it. That is a better check and balance system than we get from many governments and accountants.
        Due to another situation not related to the city I had occassion to look up the definition of audit in bookkeeping terms and it struck me funny saying, "2. An account as adjusted by auditors; final statement of account.".
         Paul Nagy

Date Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 5:40pm
Paul and Vet, I understand your premise. I would begin by getting all financial statements, simply look online. Then, study the ordinaces. Does it state that money taken from one account cannot be moved or transferred into another? Probably. Lets turn to salaries. Then the gas fund. If money is taken out of a fund, where does it go?  Accounting firms simply look to see if an entity complies to laws, and that funds match.

Date Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 12:49am

Observer and Acclaro:

Give me a break!!! Of all people, I’m sure that you two have the acumen to follow some of this.

Please consider RESOLUTION NO. R2011-01 which was passed after a “second” reading in its “doctored” form just last week. Considering altered resolutions as a second reading” aside, you both should understand that money appropriated in one year does NOT have to be RE-appropriated for allegedly the same purpose the following year, nor does it need to be “TRANSFERRED” out of and right back into the VERY SAME ACCOUNT!!!

Now, several council members read this forum, and you guys know that, and I pointed this out very clearly before the FIRST reading (which led to its re-writing before the second reading, so you KNOW that they read it) and again before the second reading/vote. Yet no one questioned the need for the re-appropriation, nor the need for transferring the $1.27 million out of and right back into the very same account.

So, call it a conspiracy theory” or an allegation or innuendo or accusation or whatever, but it was voted upon and passed with absolutely NO question or discussion, so you can be certain that this “public business” was discussed and explained away beforehand and outside of legal open public meetings of City Council. You can also be certain that CS&H will never catch this and the City will once again pass” their audit” with flying colors.

Yet, we ALL (including you two) KNOW something fishy just happened!!!

Am I wrong???  If so, please explain!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 6:49am
Mike, if you have read my posts, you know I am much aware of the shell games and shenigans that take place in the city, in the coirts in the city, and on council.

My point is this: you cannot say something is fishy andthen say its illegal without fact or specifics. You also proved my point. Council knew what they were doing, passed the resolurion, and CSH could not or would not find, an error in accountig, the money did not disappear did it? My point, to be succinct, was how then, with what you have stated, would the State come in, do an audit, and find wrongdoing? They would not.

You previously indicated you were given instrctions or advice from the State to look at filing civil remedies and it would cost money. Criminal wrongdoing would be done by a prosecutorat no cost. I'm just rrying to figure where there is this constant criminal or llegal wrongdoingI read about, but cannot find it.

I understand the funny money movement, the new resolutions, the bad deals, but moral and unethical actions do not make for criminal activities. What am I missing?  

Date Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 8:42am
Mike, I want to re-iterate I understand and agree with your point on the lack of "sunshines". But, isn't that the nature of the beast in the city and others. Look at AJ Smith and Mike Robinette, we could speculate they were talking about any number of public issues and dealings out of the public (in conjunction with trying to get a womanto take off her clothes).

At the retreats, you and I know they talk about the issues you bring forth. They meet for coffee, there are no secrets not known. We can seethe blatant nepotism but no one iscalling for resignations or new ordiances prohibiting such. But how do you go about establishing it as fact?

My sole point is a State auditor would find no wrong doings at city hall. CSH did not, and moving money around seems to be well supported with the ordinances. If you are stating ordinances are being violated, that's a different story.I know there are which include the historic section.

Posted By: Observer
Date Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 9:21am
My point was not that there couldn't be improvments in the way our city gov't conducts itself but rather, that throwing out suggestions that CSH would risk their busienss reputation and possibly criminal charges over a contract with the city just doesn't make sense.  I have no problem with people questioning their gov't and holding them accountable.  Call me naive that's fine, we can disagree.

Date Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 9:44am
Anderson Consulting's top audit Partner and a few others who audited Enron, went to prison, lost their CPA license, and were humilated. I agre eit would defy logic for CSH to put into jeopardy, their reputation, livelihood, and criminal consequence on anything that would serve Middletown. They are also moving, so the correlations or cause and effect makes no sense. I agree sunshine should come through, and shell games take place, but I suggest, supported by the financial section of the city ordinance, until proven otherwise.  Questionable government financial maneuvers, but no criminal wrongdoing IMHO.   

Posted By: TudorBrown
Date Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Observer Observer wrote:

I think it's very unlikely that a quality company like Clark, Schaffer and Hackett would purposefully look over an error during an audit,  Working for a small business I know that no client is worth the decades it takes to garner an excellent reputation, like C.S.H has.  I can only imagine the lawsuits, firings and financial damages that would result from purposefully overlooking errors.  As for unintentionally overlooking something...I would venture to say an out of town group would be equally likely to make the same potential unintentional error.

I'm sure a reliable, known company like C,S,H are behind this massive cover up involving hundreds of city employees, city council, and city administration! LOL

Tell us more Mr. Nagy!

Posted By: TudorBrown
Date Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Paul Nagy Paul Nagy wrote:

Acclaro/Observer,Due to another situation not related to the city I had occassion to look up the definition of audit in bookkeeping terms and it struck me funny saying, "2. An account as adjusted by auditors; final statement of account.".
         Paul Nagy

So you're basically claiming that the art of recording, classifying, and summarizing in a significant manner and in terms of money, transactions and events which are, in part at least, of financial character, and interpreting the results thereof is bogus?

Bravo my friend, Bravo!
Clap

Date Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 7:45am
Ahhh Tudor,
        If you are suggesting that our city financial department and administration have never made a financial mistake, misrecorded funds, made intentional exclusions, moved money in and out of accounts wrongfully and even illegally, diverted funds to special interests, and have not been supported by finance committeees, accountants and special interests, then you my friend get the Grand Pubah Pollyanna Award of all time.
        Such trust after the years of experience with this city administration is too high for me and I cannot attain it.
            pn

Date Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 9:26pm
The city manager has requested department heads from public safety to come to her with a plan to cut 20% if the public safety levy fails. 3 council members have come up with an idea to cut over 30 members from the fire department and contract EMS services with JEMS. They would put only 2 personnel on 4 fire trucks. (thats 8 guys to fight a fire and the first 2 guys driving have to stay outside to pump the fire truck so 6 guys!) 6 guys can not fight a fire!! These city council members are willing to put your safety at risk!! They are willing to roll the dice and play a game of chance on citizens lives!! The fire department is already having to call in squads and additional fire trucks from Monroe, Franklin, Madison, ect. on a daily basis to help with emergency calls due to lack of manpower. The fire chief will not publicly say this....well because the City Manager has told him not too and he is her puppet!
I'm not asking anyone to stand up for public safety wage increases, better benefits or more money of any sort. But decreasing personnel can not happen. It's not a scare tactic, people will be hurt and die if we continue to cut. Council promised us to at least maintain current levels if the last levy passed and they have broke that promise. We need help standing up against them and their games!!

Date Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 6:20am
Don't cut fire personnel. Maintain the correct level. Cut high paying city building papershuffler jobs, dole out those job duties to the ones who remain behind. Take the salary money/benefits costs used for these high salary jobs and transfer this money over to maintain the 30 firefighter jobs that will be cut. We need fire protection as a basic. We do not need more papershuffling, meeting going, high paying director, manager, asst. manager, supervisor, lead person jobs who are not actually contributing other than to pass information up and down the ladder. Each dept. should have one person who runs it and all report to them. Don't need all these intermediate levels between the boss and the worker. Those "fatcat" days are over. Time to cut all intermediate levels. Lowest qualified level runs department. JMO

Date Posted: May 06 2011 at 7:06am
Good Lord, does the city have no shame on begging?

Here's some more "priming of the public" for safety levy approval....

City braces for $3.7M in cuts
Police and fire departments may lose $2.6 million in funding

MIDDLETOWN — Police officers and firefighters may see their jobs on the line as city officials will look at cutting $3.7 million from the budget, theAt a special City Council work session Thursday, Middletown staff presented a financial report showing the city in dire straits due to $1.7 million in state budget cuts. That number almost doubles to $3.1 million by 2013 — at which point Middletown would become insolvent with a negative cash balance of $4.1 million, according to reports prepared by the finance department.

majority of which will likely come from public safety

SO, YOU DROVE THE BUDGET INTO THE GROUND, YOU WEREN'T FRUGAL WITH THE MONEY IN A POOR ECONOMIC SETTING,YOU HAD AN INDICATION THAT LESS MONEY WAS COMING FROM THE STATE, WHICH HAS NO MONEY EITHER, YOU HIRED THROUGH THE BACKDOOR WHILE TELLING THE PEOPLE YOU WERE REDUCING AND NOW, YOU WANT THE RESIDENTS OF THIS TOWN TO BAIL YOUR PATHETIC CARCASSES OUT AGAIN....IF WE DO, WE ARE THE FOOLS.

EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LAST SAFETY LEVY MONEY WE FOOLISHLY GAVE YOU?

About 71 percent — or $21 million — of the city’s total budget goes to the police and fire departments. As such, City Council agreed for city staff to ask those departments to absorb the majority of the cuts — $2.6 million — to keep Middletown in the black for at least the next three years.

How those cuts will look exactly is yet to be determined, but both police Chief Greg Schwarber and fire Chief Steve Botts agreed it likely will mean a work force reduction.

“Neither budget here can absorb some kind of cut without reductions in personnel,” Schwarber said. “If I add up my total budget, only $1.4 million is non-personnel.”

NO SYMPATHY HERE BOYS AND GIRLS. PRIVATE BUSINESSES HAVE BEEN CUTTING FOR MANY YEARS. WHAT MAKES YOU IN PUBLICLAND THINK YOU ARE SPECIAL AND IMMUNE TO DOWNSIZING? YOUR LUCKY TO HAVE HELD ON FOR THIS LONG.

Another item under consideration is generating revenue from a street light assessment. By adding a $3.50 charge to utility bills, Gilleland said $750,000 could be generated yearly

GOOD LORD! GRASPING AT STRAWS AND LOOKING UNDER THE COUCH CUSHIONS FOR LOOSE CHANGE JUST BECAUSE THE CITY'S LOUSY ECON. DEV.DEPT. HASN'T GOTTEN UP OFF THEIR DUFF THE LAST 20 YEARS AND BROUGHT JOB/COMPANY TAX REVENUE INTO THIS TOWN, AND YOU'VE RELIED ON GOV. HANDOUTS. IT IS NOW CATCHING UP WITH YOU AND YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO GO BUT TO BLEED THE PEOPLE DRY.

It still will be several weeks before Gilleland said each department will be able to present information and figures on how the cuts will impact each city department

STOP AGONIZING OVER IT AND START CUTTING. MERCY! IT AIN'T LIKE IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE.

Posted By: Bocephus
Date Posted: May 06 2011 at 1:48pm

We need new leadership in this city these people are clueless about how to lead us through this mess thier main concern seems to be how to keep the meetings out of the general publics view,what the hell is wrong with the people of Middletown to sit back and watch these clueless people keep fumbling around while the city is going down the sh*ter? Time to think out of the box maybe one thing that could be looked at is contracting with the County for Police services? Its allmost like no one has a clue what to do,I offer to send my wife down these to show these people how to budget I am sure that she could straighten this out for them in a few days.

Posted By: Hermes
Date Posted: May 06 2011 at 7:27pm
They add $3.50 to my bill and I'll take a chain saw to the damn thing !! No more light,no more charge.
 I agree Vet,they are grasping at anything and everything.THEY created this friggin mess and now they want a bail-out from the people !! I'm still waiting on MY bail-out from the federal government !! Since it's my tax dollars that went to the banks and auto manufacturers how soon before I get a dividend check ?
These idiots created a welfare town by taking federal & state money for all their little pet projects and now the welfare checks have stopped and they all have the deer in the headlights look about them.Maybe they can charge for riding that million dollar bike path ? Could put up toll booths at each end of town,that might work. How about a toll booth at the exit off I-75 ?!! Approve

-------------
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!

Date Posted: May 06 2011 at 8:25pm

They better put some street lights on my street if they are gonna charge me for the electric bill.

Posted By: TonyB
Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 9:12am
Hermes - they're not going to charge you for the street light on your street, they're charging you $3.50 a month for all the street lights in town. I don't agree with it but understand that it's for all the lights.

Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 3:23pm
If they start this program, it will be a shame not to see everyone receiving the bill to write the check for $3.50 less than the amount.

If the city is that cash-strapped, they could always turn out the lights!
(The party's over anyway around here) the way the town is being run.

Speaking of turning out the lights.....why don't they do that at One Donham Plaza. Ain't nothin' worthwhile comin' out of that building anyway to keep 'em burning.

Posted By: TonyB
Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 11:07pm
I'd be much more interested if those lights at the city building are all energy efficient bulbs as well as all of the street lights. You want to cut the budget, stop wasting energy!

Date Posted: Apr 02 2012 at 3:46pm
Today's Journal...

City to hear tax recommendation
Council subcommittee favors 0.25% public safety continuing income tax

MIDDLETOWN — A council subcommittee will recommend to City Council on Tuesday that it ask voters to renew the city’s 0.25 percent public safety levy in August, but make it a continuing income tax.

Following a series of three public informational sessions, the subcommittee chaired by Councilman A.J. Smith concluded that the residents who attended didn’t want the levy to expire at the end of the year, which would result in potential deep cuts in the police and fire departments

WELL, COUNCILMAN SMITH, YOUR CONCLUSIONS MAY BE WRONG. TO TAKE THE DESIRES FROM A VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE CITY POPULATION WHO ATTENDED YOUR MEETINGS AND CONCLUDE THAT THAT IS WHAT THE MAJORITY WANTS IS PURE FOOLISHNESS. BECAUSE IT IS WHAT YOU AND OTHER COUNCILMEMBERS WANT, YOU TWIST AND TURN THE TRUTH TO ACCOMODATE YOUR NEEDS. TYPICAL NONSENSE FROM CITY LEADERS. YOU KNOW, THERE IS ANOTHER WAY THAT COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOU MORE INPUT AND LARGER NUMBERS FOR YOUR CONCLUSIONS AND OPINIONS FROM A MORE DIVERSE AUDIENCE.......TELEPHONE THE PEOPLE AND ASK THEM POINT BLANK. MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO ATTENDED PROBABLY AGREED WITH YOUR LITTLE LEVY. MAKES IT EASY TO DRAW CONCLUSIONS FROM THAT CROWD MAKEUP. IT'S ALSO NOT ACCURATE.

The subcommittee presented residents with several options, including placing issue on the November or August ballot, making it a 0.25 or 0.5 percent tax, and placing a sunset on the tax or allowing it to continue

AGAIN, THIS IS A SKEWED OPTIONS PACKAGE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T ALLOW FOR THE PEOPLE A NO LEVY CHOICE. IT DOESN'T NECESSARILY REFLECT TRUE RESULTS, JUST THE RESULTS YOU WANT TO SEE.

“We can’t afford to cut anymore, and if we can’t pass this levy, we’re talking about cuts that equate to $2.8 million to $2.9 million,” Smith said

WHAT ABOUT THE FOUR FIRE CAPTAINS SOMEONE MENTIONED IN ANOTHER POST? ANY MORE HIGHER ECHELON POSITIONS THAT HAS BEEN CONVENIENTLY LEFT OUT OGF THE EQUATION? DO WE STILL HAVE AN ASSIST FIRE CHIEF? HOW MANY OTHER "ASSISTANTS" DO WE HAVE THAT HAVE BEEN LEFT OFF THE RADAR?

“The citizens get a clear message of what we’re putting out, and our message won’t get intertwined with any of the other political parties,” he said. “I just hope the citizens will continue to support the firefighters and the police officers.”

SMITH, YOUR REAL MESSAGE IS NOT HARD TO SEE. YOU ARE PITCHING THIS LEVY ON BEHALF OF THE FIRE AND POLICE DEPARTMENTS IN THE HOPE THAT YOU CAN SECURE A POSITION IN THE POST COUNCIL DAYS. THE THEME HERE IS TO BE A BUDDY TO THE FIRE/POLICE IN THE HOPE OF FUTURE EMPLOYMENT WITH THEM, RIGHT?

The city would have to pay to put the issue on the August ballot, but the total cost won’t be known until after the special election, according to Butler County Board of Elections Deputy Director Jocelyn Bucaro. Based on past votes, she said it could cost the city between $1,600 and $1,900 per precinct; the city has 36 precincts

36 PRECINCTS TIMES 2 GRAND PER PRECINCT. THIS COMING FROM A CASH-STRAPPED CITY, ALWAYS CRYING THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO CONDUCT CITY BUSINESS..........UNLESS IT'S TO BLEED THE PEOPLE DRY THROUGH EXCESSIVE TAXATION OF COURSE. THEN, MONEY IS NO OBJECT.

Date Posted: Apr 03 2012 at 10:19am

AJ helping to decide whats best for the city ? now thats comical its sad times when people as dumb as this guy can help to decide anything that affects other human beings.

Date Posted: Apr 04 2012 at 6:14am
Today's Journal...

Council considers public safety levy
Continuing 0.25% income tax issue may appear on August ballot

MIDDLETOWN — City Council will vote Thursday morning on whether it will ask residents to renew a 0.25 percent income tax public safety levy in August. According to proposed legislation, a continuing levy instead of one with a sunset provision is being considered.

The current 0.25 percent public safety levy expires at the end of the year, and with it would go an estimated $2.9 million collected annually for the police and fire departments. The police and fire budgets are a collective $21 million.

If we had to lose the $3 million, that’s more police and firefighters that would have to be let go,” said Vice Mayor Dan Picard, a member of the public safety levy subcommittee. “We’re not asking for an increase, we just want to maintain what we have

ACTUALLY, YOU NEED TO REPHRASE THAT DANNY BOY. THE ORIGINAL .25% SAFETY LEVY WAS A NEW TAX, THEREFORE, AN INCREASE IN TAXES. YOU ARE JUST WANTING TO MAINTAIN THE INCREASE IN THIS NEW TAX FROM LAST YEAR. THIS IS THE SAME TACTIC THE SCHOOLS USE. IT STARTS OUT AS AN EMERGENCY LEVY- HELP US OUT JUST THIS ONE TIME. WHEN THE EMERGENCY LEVY IS READY TO EXPIRE, IT IS PUT ON THE BALLOT AS A CONTINUING LEVY, WHICH WHEN READY TO EXPIRE, IS PRESENTED TO THE VOTERS AS A PERMANENT LEVY.....AND THEY'VE SLIPPED ONE PAST THE VOTER AGAIN BECAUSE THEY COUNT ON YOU FORGETTING WHY ALL THIS TRANSPIRED. THE SCHOOLS AND THE CITY HAVE NO INTENTION OF SETTLING FOR A ONE TIME EMERGENCY SCENARIO. THEY HAVE THEIR SIGHTS SET ON A PERMANENT MONEY FLOW FROM THE BEGINNING. THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO HERE COUNCIL. GUARANTEED, IF THIS LEVY IS APPROVED FOR A SPECIFIC TIME, WHEN IT IS CLOSE TO EXPIRING, THE CITY WILL PRESENT IT TO THE VOTERS AS A PERMANENT LEVY. PEOPLE, IF YOU APPROVE THIS CONTINUING SAFETY LEVY, THEY WILL NOT BACK OFF YOUR WALLET. THEY WILL PURGE EVERY DIME IF YOU ALLOW THEM TO. VOTE NO AND STOP THIS CRAP BEFORE THEY BLEED YOUR WALLET DRY. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR SAFETY, JUST YOUR MONEY. CAN'T TRUST THEM. THEY SAID THE FIRST LEVY WAS TO MAINTAIN THE FORCE. INSTEAD, THEY CUT PEOPLE....MORE WORKER BEES THAN PAPER SHUFFLER BOSSES. DO YOU REALLY HAVE ANY REASON TO BELIEVE THEM THIS TIME?

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Apr 05 2012 at 10:38am
From the MJ:

Special election called for on Middletown safety levy

By http://www.middletownjournal.com/services/staff/1317913.html - Michael D. Pitman , Staff Writer Updated 9:41 AM Thursday, April 5, 2012

MIDDLETOWN — Voters will be asked in August if they want to supplement the police and fire departments by renewing the city’s 0.25 percent income tax public safety levy.

Council voted 4-1 Thursday to place the measure on the ballot, but not before a brief discussion on whether it should be a continuing levy, which was what passed, or have a five-year sunset provision. Mayor Larry Mulligan and Councilman Josh Laubach were excused from the meeting.

“I think that we need to consider a five-year sunset on this to give it the greatest chance of passing,” said Councilman Joe Mulligan, who voted against the legislation.

The current 0.25 percent public safety levy expires at the end of the year, and with it would go an estimated $2.9 million collected annually for the police and fire departments. The police and fire budgets are a collective $21 million.

A resident earning $50,000 a year currently pays $125 a year toward the levy, or less than $10.50 a month. That payment would continue if the tax is approved by voters.

Council needed to pass three ordinances — to allow the city to impose the income tax, place it on the August ballot and pay for the special election — before April 9 so the legislation could take effect by the May 9 deadline to place the items on the Aug. 7 ballot in Butler and Warren counties.

Mulligan said there will likely be three types of voters in August: those who won’t support any tax, those who would support a continuing levy, and those who would support a levy with a sunset provision but not the continuing levy.

“Our success will be in those last two segments,” Mulligan said.

Councilman A.J. Smith, chair of council’s public safety subcommittee, disagreed. He said the voters will be “die-hard fans” of public safety, those who vote against any tax and thee uninformed voters who Smith added he feels can be convinced of the need.

“August is our best chance to get it, a continuing levy would make the most sense,” Smith said.

Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones supported Mulligan in asking for a sunset provision, but a motion to change the proposed legislation from a continuing income tax to a tax with a five-year sunset clause failed.

“I think it needs to be publicly said that there are people who have an issue with the continuing (levy) at this point ... They don’t have a problem with the renewal,” Scott Jones said. “Everyone knows I’m a supporter of police and fire, but we also sometimes have to take our personal opinions out and speak as the voice of those we represent.”

Councilwoman Ann Mort said a continuing levy “wasn’t my first choice, but I believe it is the best choice at this point.”

The anticipated cost of the election is estimated to be between $50,000 and $80,000 by the Butler County Board of Elections. The exact cost will be billed after the election.

The public safety subcommittee will meet at noon Tuesday to discuss the levy campaign on the second floor of the Middletown City Building, One Donham Plaza.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 7:58pm
Had two firefighters passing out "vote yes" pamphlets on Sunday. Didn't have the heart to tell them my decision. They explained it won't raise taxes. (OK- but it won't guarantee the public won't be lied to again either)

This morning, had to call the squad at 0530 hours. They picked up the wife again with blood clots forming in her legs. When I got to the Emergency Room, talked to one of the medics who transported her. Told him how I felt, that I wanted to show my appreciation for all the times we have used their services and vote yes. Then, told him there was a tendency among many of us to vote no because they promised no reduction in force on police and fire and reduced the numbers anyway, basically creating a lack of trust with the voters and making them liars. He understood when I told him I wouldn't give the cost of the powder to blow the hell out of city hall and the people who reside within and, with a grin, acknowledged the comment. The police and fire people understand it's not them, it's Gilleland and the others who are the problem and NEVER do as they say they will do.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2012 at 9:32pm
Vet,

So sorry to hear about your wife's setback.

Your family remains in our thoughts and prayers.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 04 2012 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Vet,

So sorry to hear about your wife's setback.

Your family remains in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Mike. She is due to be released on Friday as soon as they get her blood thinned out enough to prevent clotting. Still doing the Heparin blood clot busting therapy as of today.

Date Posted: Jul 04 2012 at 4:06pm
Vet,
The daily care of an invalid loved one can be overwhelming.
She is in good hands for the time being.  Give yourself a break.  Take a rest.  Drink a cold beer or two.
You deserve it.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 12 2012 at 6:18am
C'mon guys..............today's Journal.....

Calls increasing for area fire departments

A rescue vehicle left a fire department in Hamilton and Middletown a little more than once an hour on average last year and calls this year have grown to 32 calls a day.

But not all calls force firemen into burning buildings. More than 85 percent of the calls this year are for calls other than fighting fires. Health-related, hazardous materials, false alarms or other reasons topped 80 percent of their total calls in 2011.

Middletown fire crews are on pace to repeat calls for service last year, but Fire Chief Steve Botts points out this has been done with less firemen.

The city cut six firefighting jobs when balancing the 2012 budget. That was two people per shift and it forced the department to eliminate one fire truck out of service and move an ambulance to a station outside of its service area.

“It’s proving we are doing everything we can with the resources that we have,” he said.

Last year, Middletown went on more than 10,200 calls, but only about 2,000 were for fire calls. Hamilton went on 11,656 calls and more than 2,600 fire calls last year.

In spite of the number of calls, response times in Hamilton and Middletown remain within the national average

Middletown’s response times have increased by about 15 seconds per call since cutting six firefighters.

The city is trying to maintain what it has by passing a 0.25 percent public safety income tax levy in August. If it passes, they will accept a two-year federal SAFER Grant worth $1 million.

Botts said they can’t accept it yet because if the levy fails — which generates $2.8 million — the city can’t guarantee the staffing levels required by the grant

So, the city will get 2.8 mil if the levy passes PLUS applying for the 1 mil SAFER Grant. Think 3.8 mil is enough to maintain a full staff?

I use the medical service quite a bit for my wife. My Anthem and her Medicare pay for the ambulance runs. Middletown charges $732 per run plus mileage to Atrium. Insurance picks up ~ $600 of that.

The medical people, fire and police do a great job and I would like to support them but I question if the money actually goes toward public safety or in one of the "special projects" fund. The city lied to us last time by telling us it was to maintain manpower when they actually cut people. It is a shame the fire and police folks may have to go without because the city has created a no-trust factor with the voters with their constant lying.

Funny, the stories concerning the public safety folks and their beehive of activity always show up right before the old safety levy is to be voted on. Otherwise, don't hear too much from the Journal concerning their activities. Just primin' the pump. Too obvious.

Print Page | Close Window