Print Page | Close Window

Do you support the Teachers Strike in Chicago?

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Outside World
Forum Name: News, Info and Happenings outside Middletown
Forum Description: It might be happening outside Middletown, but it affects us here at home.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4758
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 2:56pm

Topic: Do you support the Teachers Strike in Chicago?
Posted By: John Beagle
Subject: Do you support the Teachers Strike in Chicago?
Date Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 9:44am
Chicago teachers strike heads into second day
Chicago Tribune? - 43 minutes ago
More than 350000 children will be locked out of Chicago public schools for a second day as striking teachers and the school board remain at ...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-teacher-strike-expected-to-go-into-2nd-day-20120910,0,4057997.story - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-teacher-strike-expected-to-go-into-2nd-day-20120910,0,4057997.story

-------------
http://www.johnbeagle.com/" rel="nofollow - John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.

Replies:
Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 11:28am
According to the story, the issues are recall for laid off teachers/teacher evaluations/and job security.

Teachers Unions--- Too big for their britches. Article says an average teacher in Chicago has 13.5 years of service and makes an avg. of $71,200!!!! Incredibly generous pay in such a short time period IMO.

Scared kids crossing hostile picket lines. Mom and Dad taking their kids to work rather than school because of the walkout. Grandparents taking care of the kids that didn't go to school while mom and dad go to work. Causing alot of grief for people in Chicago.

Job security??? Ain't no such thing in the working world. Hasn't been any security for over a decade now. Shows you how out of touch these people are.

Recall for laid off workers? Not the way it works when you have been downsized in the working world of today. When you're gone.....you're gone. Start looking for the next employer. Don't have time to sit around waiting for a recall. Move on. Life's little surprises hit you. Live with it.

Nope.....still wanted SB5 to pass to stop all of this nonsense. Collective bargaining? Knowing what they will receive before the work is done? Tenure? Raises NOT based on merit and contributions? Step increases between pay raises? Bull. Another story about out-of-control greed. Needs to be stopped now IMO. They need to get in tune with the rest of us working people who don't live in their fantasy land. Save the taxpayer some money. Fire 'em all. Replace them with non-union teachers and base the pay on merit rather than pay based on future performances not as yet accomplished. More bang for the buck for the taxpayer. JMO

Ok TonyB and AJ.......Fire Away!

Posted By: KThompson
Date Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 1:46pm
I agree with you VietVet! Their sense of entitlement needs to end.

Kids education > Union greed

Posted By: TonyB
Date Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 4:13pm
VietVet!

I didn't know you cared (what I thought)!!! lol  I don't know the issues in Chicago teacher's strike so I can't really offer you an opinion on what the strike is about. I don't believe in today's age that a public union should be able to strike. When a private union strikes a private employer, that's an economic matter between labor and management. When a public union strikes, it becomes a civil matter between government and the services provided. I do believe in collective bargaining,mediation and arbitration for public unions but not strikes. And, no; I do not want to see "scabs" hired to take union teacher's place. The merit of putting up with someone's ill-mannered, belligerent child is having some job security. It's not a job I would ever want to do!!!

Posted By: Pacman
Date Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 8:01pm
John Beagle: "Do you support the Teachers Strike in Chicago?"
HELL NO!!
PacmanCool

Print Page | Close Window