Forum Name: People in Middletown
Forum Description: Discuss People in Middletown
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4883
Printed Date: May 03 2024 at 2:17pm

Topic: J. T.s letter for Jerry
Posted By: squeemy
Subject: J. T.s letter for Jerry
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:37am
Thanks for your homage to Jerry Nardiello in the Journal today, J. T.

There's a few of us out here who appreciate your sentiment.

may I challenge the group to find a way to post the text of it here?

Replies:
Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:21am
From MJ:
Letters to the editor 
  Life has been enriched by Nardiello

Regarding Rick Mc-Crabb’s excellent article about Jerry Nardiello (“Former local sportswriter, editor is 90 years old today,” Nov. 11) ...

When I was hired at the Journal in 1974 at the ripe old age of 26, I already knew who Jerry Nardiello was because of his countless stories and columns (called “Off the Bench”) on local sports I had read while growing up. He covered them all thoroughly, and in that detailed manner we all learned to expect. Yep, all the local teams: Reds, Bengals, Middies, Falcons, Mohawks, Hornets, Indians, Wildcats, Panthers and Redskins — and did all of them justice.

I first encountered Jerry in the hall at the paper after being hired by ad director, Wally Grey, and Jerry was with Chardelle Weber and Paul Day. Believe me, to a newbie, they were a formidable trio of local journalists, and all three made it a point to introduce themselves and welcome me. From that day, I was welcome in the newsroom anytime, and through the years made many fast friends there.

I saw Jerry a few months ago at the library and we had a spirited conversation about local sports and old Journal hands. I could tell from our conversation his Journal memories were just as precious to him as mine are to me. He’s now a Middletown treasure and I say, “God bless you, Jerry.” You’re the best, and my life has been enriched for knowing you, the terrific stories you composed and all the wonderful people who made our paper a wonderful local product in those days. JOHN T. MAHER, MIDDLETOWN

Print Page | Close Window