Print Page | Close Window

Whoops!

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown Community
Forum Name: Middletown News, Info and Happenings
Forum Description: Discuss any Middletown Ohio area news story.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5670
Printed Date: Apr 29 2024 at 10:47am

Topic: Whoops!
Posted By: VietVet
Subject: Whoops!
Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 6:44am
Journal article...

Church torn down, saves city $150,000

MIDDLETOWN —
An eyesore in the city’s historic district has been demolished, saving taxpayers about $150,000, said Lee McClymonds, whose company meticulously removed more than 12,000 stones in the former First Baptist Church on South Main Street.

Now that the church, which was destroyed by fire, has been torn down by ResErections, Inc., its stones, valued at $2 million, have been shipped to Bee Cave, Texas where they will be used to build an antique shopping center, he said

THE CITY SAVED $150,000 ON DEMO CHARGES BUT GAVE AWAY 2 MILLION IN STONES.

ANOTHER FINANCIAL CLUSTER WITH YOUR CITY LEADERS IN ACTION.

WHOOPS

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Replies:
Posted By: Vivian Moon
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 10:08am
Hummm...What about the value of all those beautiful stained glass windows that were removed?

I bel
ieve that the stained glass were donated to the church by family members.

What was the selling price and to whom were they sold?

Posted By: swohio75
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Hummm...What about the value of all those beautiful stained glass windows that were removed?

I bel
ieve that the stained glass were donated to the church by family members.

What was the selling price and to whom were they sold?

Windows were purchased by Mrs. Sorg in 1906 for approx. $2,250.  It's my understanding when First Baptist moved to Riverview, Mr. Thatcher purchased the rights to the windows.  Not sure several of them found their way into Stained Bistro/Murphy's Landing.  But its nice to see they've been preserved and,. at least for the time being, remain in Middletown.  

Posted By: over the hill
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:18pm
If those windows are at Stained you know they got a sweet deal from the city.

Posted By: Talking Heads
Date Posted: May 01 2014 at 7:29pm
Plenty of Middletown's historic relics, including wood has been "purchased" and reclaimed by that group on the corner. Schools, churches, any place that can be raided if you know which pocket to line. Procedures not followed with announcing public bid opportunities.

Posted By: ResErections
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 1:30pm
The Bedford limestone used in the church is only valuable if used to rebuild the building. Otherwise, it is just calcium carbonate worth a few dollars per pound. The $ 2 Million value is if one were to purchase new stone of the same material and shapes.

ResErections

Print Page | Close Window