Print Page | Close Window

Middletown 4th of July Parade

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown Community
Forum Name: Community Events
Forum Description: Post and discuss area events, upload photos and pdf.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5749
Printed Date: Apr 20 2024 at 7:23am

Topic: Middletown 4th of July Parade
Posted By: da120757
Subject: Middletown 4th of July Parade
Date Posted: May 28 2014 at 8:23am
The Middletown Ohio 4th of July/Independence Day Parade will be held on Friday July 4, 2014.

Parade lineup will begin at 9:00 AM on Verity Parkway/Route 4, between 14th Ave and Lafayette Ave.

All parade participants are to enter the parade lineup at Lafayette Ave.

Meetings will begin on June 5,2014 and will be held at 4004 Lewis Street in Middletown Ohio (Between Jackson Lane and Eaton Ave)

For more information contact Joe M Snider at 513-423-6017 or email da120757@yahoo.com

Thank you and we hope to see you in the parade.

Replies:
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:59am
******** UPDATE ********

Plans underway for 4th of July Parade in Middletown Ohio

The Middletown Memorial Day Association will hold their first planning meeting on Thursday June 5, 2014, at 4004 Lewis Street Middletown Ohio at 6:00 PM. The Theme for the 4th of July Parade this year will be
"WE THE PEOPLE", and participants are asked to display this on their floats or vehicles for the parade. There are Rules and Regulations for the Parades in Middletown, please call 513-423-6017 or email da120757@yahoo.com if you have questions.

Posted By: FmrMide81
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:51am
How tragic that there will be much stricter enforcement of Rules and Regulations for a parade than there is for actual laws.

Posted By: chmoore1
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 10:46am
da: how can we get the 4th of July parade back out on Breiel Blvd. like it was a number of years ago? Now, it just seems like it negates the Memorial Day parade by going in reverse. Kind of like a tennis match---look to the left, now look to the right. just 1 (and only) chmoore. Thank you for organizing it, though.

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:47pm
must be afraid that musa might sponsor a float?

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

da: how can we get the 4th of July parade back out on Breiel Blvd. like it was a number of years ago? Now, it just seems like it negates the Memorial Day parade by going in reverse. Kind of like a tennis match---look to the left, now look to the right. just 1 (and only) chmoore. Thank you for organizing it, though.

Now ch, this sounds a tad bit negative to me. Almost what a naysayer would come up with, with a hint of complaining thrown in for good measure. It appears that euphoria you were experiencing with your levy passage has worn off and you have become just another grumpy old man like me. I hope that isn't the case, as your bright outlook sets the standard as you continue to be a cheerleader for the city and the schools. Keep up that good positive attitude. You are a beacon of hope.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:01pm
Thanks, VV, for bringing me back to reality. I was starting to drift off to complacency in nostalgia-ville. What was it I was saying? Something about "fired up, ready to go!" or something like that. The one-and-only, just 1chmoore.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:27pm

Thanks, VV, for bringing me back to reality. I was starting to drift off to complacency in nostalgia-ville. What was it I was saying? Something about "fired up, ready to go!" or something like that. The one-and-only, just 1chmoore.

There ya go!!! Stay focused on only the good things. Ignore the issues that trend you in a negative direction. Realizing it is human nature to go negative with such an enormous source of failure in the city, one is bound to backslide now and again. Forgivable. Just the good things. That's what we want to hear from our friend ch. Just wish Factguy would join you. You folks think alike and only see the goodness in a situation. So did the folks on the Titanic until that pesky iceberg got in the way. Some in this city are still optimistic saying the schools and city will get better as they ride the stern with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet on the way down. Heck, we're getting ready to build a new Titanic to replace the one that's been slowly sinking for decades. Given time, it'll hit an iceberg too and we will all see the continued poor performance issues way before we know how long it will last. More money wasted.

Now don't forget the band. Need music (perhaps the band playing on the deck) and perhaps some celebration to feed that enthusiasm for the city. Yessir, we are headed in the right direction with the schools and the city. Competent leaders with the proper vision and game plan producing consistently positive results. Hey, just look at how much the city leadership and schools have accomplished since the 80's!!!!......or, perhaps we shouldn't. Don't want to cause people severe depression.

Show us the way ray of sunshine.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 9:53am
VV: always good to know that I can count on you to "have my back"---even though I feel a knife stab every once in a while. As long as I get to Middletown Regional Hospital in time, I'll be ok. Here's life on my street, viewed through my rose-colored contact lenses: I like to provide opportunities to the 80% of Middletown students who HAVE (not yelling) passed the government-imposed standards' tests. I believe that they should have as much help as we can give them to be competitive. Well, gotta go to the parade---I hear the Middie Alumni band tuning up! Hooray, for the red-white-and-blue! C'mon, factguy. I need someone to hold the other end of this banner. Your "bud," just 1chmoore, marching to the beat of the MCSD drum.   

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 11:10am

ch:

"I can count on you to "have my back"---even though I feel a knife stab every once in a while"

Naw, just your imagination.

ch: "As long as I get to Middletown Regional Hospital in time"....

Whoops! Another slip ch. Remember, Middletown Regional Hospital became the Atrium Medical Center when they vacated Middletown. Can't much blame McNeil though as he wanted to break away from anything named Middletown, right?

ch:

"I like to provide opportunities to the 80% of Middletown students who HAVE (not yelling) passed the government-imposed standards' tests."

Gee, close to 80% passing huh? After how many attempts ch? Your school system is performing at a high level. 80% passing after what, a decade or so......great news. Problem is, all the other districts have eclipsed your best shot by a significant margin.....and they did it long ago. Oh, and those government imposed standards? Someone needs to evaluate your school people to measure and report to the taxpayer how their money is being wasted in the educational process. Do you think they would provide an accurate accounting if it were self-evaluating?

Keep hope alive ch, you rainbow warrior you. Between the city and the school leaders, you are supporting some real winners who need a friend once in awhile.

-------------

Posted By: Factguy
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 9:19pm

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 9:32pm
Same Rules and Regs as Always You may not Advertise that you are running for an office, and you may not throw or pass out candy, papers, flags balloons anything like that. Call if you have questions

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 9:34pm
For right now the parade will be on Verity Parkway.

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 6:04am
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

For right now the parade will be on Verity Parkway.

I'm sorry ch. I know you were counting on the change of location. Perhaps your pals in the city building could influence their decision in coming years. Be patient o' purveyor of good news.

Factguy...could you ID the older gentleman in the Vette? Thank you in advance.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 6:29am
VV: the operative words here are "for now." Change always has to start somewhere. And by the way, I have NO friends at the city level; I don't care for any of them. Just here for balance...1chmoore.

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 6:58am
The only reason that the Parade was on Breiel Blvd to begin with was because of the All American Weekend that was held at MHS. The City of Middletown has nothing to do with the Parades in Middletown. The Middletown Memorial Day Association are the ones that organize both Parades. I just do not see the Parade Route changing back to Breiel Blvd.

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:46am
Da: I realize that the Breiel parades were eventually because of All-American weekend. However, the 4th of July parade NEVER went from the cemetery to Smith Park until a few years ago. And just because you don't see it anywhere else, doesn't mean that it can't be discussed. So what's the sense in running it in reverse? Why not have it from Smith Park to the cemetery? Over the years, both parades used to go down Main Street. just 1chmoore.

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:50am
We have a meeting on Thursday June 5 at 4004 Lewis St. 6:00 PM, Please come and Voice your Opinions for Moving the Parade. Thank you

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 11:11am

VV: the operative words here are "for now." Change always has to start somewhere. And by the way, I have NO friends at the city level; I don't care for any of them. Just here for balance...1chmoore.

Whoa ch! SURE you have friends at the city level.......the entire school board with Ms. Andrew and Super Ison taking the lead and the rest of the influential folks (at least the one's who haven't left as yet) are eternally grateful to you and the friends of the schools for your support in inching over the finish line on the recent levy win of 22 votes. Just think, your yes vote may have put your side in the winner's circle....and continued the district's quest for mediocrity.

Sounds like you want the old parade on Breile. Strong opinions with regard to da's post with a little "snippiness" thrown in for good measure. Remember, us old guys need to watch the old blood pressure. Again, just watching your back exalted ruler of the righteous flock of believers. Carry on.

You're here for balance you say?

I would guess you are outnumbered by a large margin on that. If the truth were known, I would imagine that the rose colored town folks are outnumbered by a large percentage of this town. If only that large percentage cared enough to participate.

-------------

Posted By: acclaro
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 2:51pm
VV, I may be wrong, but it resembles Bill Akers Sr., but can't tell if those are glasses he is wearing. Nice car- 1965 corvette isn't it.

-------------
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 3:43pm
Much earlier than a '65 'Vette. Possibly a 1960???

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 4:43pm
When was that photo taken does anyone know?

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 4:54pm
Mike is right. The body style was for 1958-1962.

I have no idea personally what year the photo was taken, but believe it might be 1988.

-------------
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 4:58pm
ok was trying to figure out where it was at when the photo was taken. Thanks

Posted By: over the hill
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 5:31pm
Does any one have a better magnifing glass than I do. Trying to read license plate. Does it look like 1962? I'm guessing.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

VV, I may be wrong, but it resembles Bill Akers Sr., but can't tell if those are glasses he is wearing. Nice car- 1965 corvette isn't it.

Not a 65 model. Looks like the old Route 66 show with Martin Milner (can't think of the other guys name) which featured a model year somewhere between 1958 and 1962. 62 was the last year for the body style shown in the picture. 1963 started the new body style with the split window, moving to a single glass pain for the back window in 1964, 65,66 and 67. The "Mako shark" body style started in 1968 and continued thru the last year in 1983. In 84 they changed body styles yet again but wasn't a very good looking design IMO.

I had a 73 Vette I bought when I got out of military and currently have an 80 model stored in the garage. Quit following the body styles after the 83 model as I was really disappointed in the 84 style. Current body style is ok but the cost of the new Vettes are way beyond my wallet.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:26pm
FactGuy: I'm still trying to figure out where this would be in Middletown, based on the limited number of right hand turns in the previous parades. Would you share with us where you found the picture? Thanks. just 1 chmoore.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:58pm
The car is mine until I sold it about 12 years ago/ Borrowed many time for local parades; friend took the picture; no idea where picture is from, Lebanon, Monroe, Franklin, or Middletown (or Miamisburg). 

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 9:35pm
Factguy: thank you. Now I can sleep better because I don't have to go through my mind of all the intersections on different parade routes in Middletown. Keep up the good work, and stay positive. just 1chmoore.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 10:15pm
Will do....+++!

By the way- its a 61.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 4:36am
Sorry, Factless guy, but that is NOT a 1961 Corvette!!!  The grille and other front end features are all wrong.  You obviously didn't own the car in the picture or you would've known what year 'Vette it was.

What else do you lie about???

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

Here is the front end of a 1961 Corvette:

-------------

Posted By: bumper
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 7:09am
looks like a 1960 vette or 59,for sure its not a 61... LOL

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 7:24am
Mike Presta: get those glasses of yours checked. First, I said I sold mine, and therefore, you  are correct, I don't own a 1961 vette I used to own now. Check the circular design on each car at base of the grille. Mine, the blue one, is a 61 model, and Corvette had the same body style from 58-62, and changed to the sloped back at center rear in 63.

What conspiracy don't you believe? Drive down to the corvette museum in Bowling Green and check out a 1961 corvette and you will see the body style for 58-62 are the same. Maybe you think its a 59 and I am not being truthful? Really dim. Was asked where the car was and I said in a parade in southwestern Ohio, and you go nuts. Get a grip Presta.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 7:39am
1957- one head light.

Posted By: luke
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:16am
Corvette had multiple dates (twice) for the same body type. A 1960 design, could have a manufacturer year date of 61. Very little changed in the four years this model was out, the front grille was about it, and the signature on hood and the signature flags. I believe the engine size was same for all four years. The grille could also be retrofit from 57-58 to later years through 62. Body design same as 58-61, with a manufacturing date through 62. 

Posted By: Rhodes
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:37am
It is a 1958.  100%

Wanna know how I know?

Says its owner, Eric Martin.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:41am

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:42am

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:47am
Love the palm trees.  Must be the Lebanon parade!

The photos are from the Cocoa Beach Astronaut Corvette Parade on May 7, 2011.  The man in this particular corvette is Astronaut Scott Carpenter, who died last October.

Once a nut job, always a nut job.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:01am
Rhodes, you proved the point how musa is full of conspiracy theories. All it took was copying a google image, and bam, here the conspiracy nuts come. You got the back-end off google image, same as I pulled front just to see how long someone would pounce. The second car is a 1961. Nice photoshop of the google image R. Shooting fish in barrel.  

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:09am
Only a nut job would get caught in another lie and say they were just testing the waters.  Right click on both photos.  I didn't upload either one.  They're both from USA Today/Reuters.  Must be where your friend works.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:19am
Wrong Rhodes. Just put a picture up, no text.

' Apparently my post on March 2nd flew right over some of your heads.  I already uncovered the FRAUD of the FAKE tunnel photo and posted the original image itself.

Mr. Presta, the "Nice find" pat on the head should have been given to me.  I'm surprised you slipped on that one, you're usually more thorough"

True Detective readers LOL.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:28am
You don't seem to understand what a conspiracy theory is.  It's something that sounds almost believable if you remove a lot of reason.  It's not a conspiracy theory when it is a fact and easily provable.

Thanks for quoting my old posts.  That was a fun one.  Must have been the last time you were caught.  Oh, now see what I just did?  That would be a conspiracy, yet not that much of a stretch!

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:33am
Come on Rhodes, everyone at city hall should be in jail according to most for breaking the law, with no facts, Duke bills paid by city, kick backs, back room deals. Double standard. Isn't HUD vouchers supposed to be gone in Middletown today, next week, next month, a year from now. Spinning is all it is. 

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:15am
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIPU2ZFTkwMATxT7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByZ2N0cmxpBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMg--?p=2011+cocoa+beach+astronaut+parade&vid=7568df130d73b55d5aefc08bf130aeda&l=12%3A14&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608055919178416217%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLoLQ_1qPXO0&tit=Astronaut+Parade+3+-+Cocoa+Beach%2C+Florida+-+05%2F07%2F11&c=1&sigr=11aiuaq5u&sigt=11k2qll52&age=0&&tt=b" rel="nofollow - http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIPU2ZFTkwMATxT7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByZ2N0cmxpBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMg--?p=2011+cocoa+beach+astronaut+parade&vid=7568df130d73b55d5aefc08bf130aeda&l=12%3A14&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608055919178416217%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLoLQ_1qPXO0&tit=Astronaut+Parade+3+-+Cocoa+Beach%2C+Florida+-+05%2F07%2F11&c=1&sigr=11aiuaq5u&sigt=11k2qll52&age=0&&tt=b

Site degrading down to point of commentary of Journal- which is the same folks, ranting and raving. Too bad.

Here's the parade if you want to watch it. Had a friend who graduated from Air Force Academy, and flew with Thunderbirds. Had 5 vettes from 58-80. Enjoy the parade.

-------------

Posted By: bumper
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:10pm
http://youtu.be/wq-poN6sLF8

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:48pm
http://youtu.be/u1hnwvWhbJw" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/u1hnwvWhbJw

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:59am
Sorry again, FactlessGuy, but my glasses are just fine and, unlike you, I have a firm grip on the FACTS!!!

Once again, the car in the picture that YOU submitted is NOT a 1961 Corvette as YOU claimed it was.   The grille and other front end features ( the chrome letters "C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E" and the crossed flags emblem) are all wrong. You obviously didn't own the car in the picture (as YOU claimed that you did) or you would've known what year 'Vette it was.  

What else do you lie about??? 

It's hard to argue with the TRUTH!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 9:28am
Presta, the picture was put up to see how all you naysayers would try to find fault- it worked. There was no text. A question was asked where was the parade, when there was nothing that even had text indicating were it was. Next, someone asked date. That led to simple text, 61. You wasted 30 minutes researching year made, checking conspiracy. Point made, plant a trial balloon, and the wild theories and claims come to front. Strange you talk about facts, call Doug Adkins a liar, and he is promoted. Discredited, busted Presta. The graveyard of failed politicians.  

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 11:58am
I liked it better when you were posting back and forth to yourself in multiple screen names.

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:20pm
Rhodes: I trust that you aren't bringing me back into the fray. I'm just trying to sit on the sidelines and enjoying the circus. just 1chmoore.

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:23pm
So you chmoore1 work for musa, just help out on levy. Just1 optimistic citizen. I have one screen name Rhodes, historian, savior of the schools that was defeated. 

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:25pm
It's beauty on display.

Posted By: over the hill
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 2:22pm
I wonder if Factguy has thought about dialing back on the caffeine.

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 2:59pm
Factguy: you lost me on your last post. just 1chmoore.

Date Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 7:02am
There will not be a meeting for the 4th of July Parade Committee this Thursday. We will resume meetings on Thursday June 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM at 4004 Lewis Street in Middletown Ohio. Call Joe Snider at 513-423-6017 for more information.

Date Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 11:22am
da120757, I have a suggestion that isn't mine, but I've heard it mentioned by others.  I do appreciate anyone that takes the time to volunteer to put these parades together, so please do not take this as being overly critical.

The downtown area already has the Memorial Day Parade and a Christmas parade.  I believe the high school does a Homecoming parade as well.  The people on the east side of town never have any parades or festivities.  The suggestion is to start the parade at the Middletown Area Senior Center or at the old Wilson Elementary where there are ample parking areas to prep.  Have the parade run down Central Ave. to either the old Roosevelt vacated lot area or hang a right on Kenwood and end the parade at Sunset Park.  Your group can team up with some of the local churches to plan activities at Sunset Park for the kids.

The way it is now, as others have said, the parade just reverses what was done on Memorial Day, just a month earlier.  There's no real purpose in the 4th of July Parade as it is now.  Its original intent when it went from Kittyhawk Plaza to MHS was a promotion of the All American Weekend, so it had a purpose.  Now it's just a big dud after it ends at Smith Park with nothing more to do.

I'm sure at this late date it would be difficult to put a festival at Sunset together, but with social media and the newspaper, there's still enough time to move it to Central Ave.  Just something a little different and on the other side of town would be a boost to the city, even if just in a small way.

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 12:08pm
Beautiful thinking, Rhodes and co.
We have enough parades in the former downtown area.
Nothing is ever open down there anyway--at least for the masses.
Go op Central to Sunset, then feed into a festival.
Or Smith park--have a parade end at Douglas park.
Have an enjoyable reason to participate and follow it through.
Have the parades be a beginning to a fun-filled day--we see it everywhere else.

Can we finally become ONE town again instead of competing pockets?
Counter-productive IMO.

Print Page | Close Window