Forum Name: Community Revitalization
Forum Description: Middletown Community Revitalization News
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6679
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 3:32pm

Topic: Rolling Mill Brewing Co. - Kudos to Josh Laubach
Posted By: Analytical
Subject: Rolling Mill Brewing Co. - Kudos to Josh Laubach
Date Posted: Feb 03 2018 at 10:32pm

Thanks to Josh and Megan Laubach plus other proect investors, Rolling Mill Brewing Company is a rare example where city subsidies weren't "doled out" for the revitalization of 916 First Avenue, a former 5,648 square foot commercial warehouse in the Historic South Main District.

Rolling Mill Brewing Company DID NOT receive direct infusions of city funds (grants), repayable city-funded loans, $1.00 give-aways of city-owned land, costly contributions of city staff time, etc.  Perhaps Joshua and his partners might offer their services as consultants to Mr. Adkins and the Economic Development Department staff given the number of their stalled "downtown" deals?

Replies:
Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 12:16pm
I respect Josh for his stance on council and now, for his self funding involvement in the downtown area. This is a perfect example of what the taxpayers expect from downtown development......PRIVATE SECTOR OWNED AND FUNDED/GOVERNMENT STAY THE HELL OUT OF THINGS (Saw it at Wright Patt. Everything the government touches, they screw up)

City leaders.....stop your government intruding, taxpayer funding, theme manipulating ways in your quest to make the downtown your little cultural mecca. It isn't working. It is a huge money wasting venture reaping little to no return on investment for our taxpayer money used and it is incompetent, negligent thinking on your part.

After all the repeated failures discussed here, it is time to recognize the "poster people" defining incompetence. There is no denying history here. The evidence has been compiled.

1. City Manager
2. City Council
3. Friends of the City, buying downtown property for a buck, making an agreement to develop the properties and then reneging on the agreement allowing the properties to fall into additional deterioration.
4. The city decision to allow these pathetic property owners to get away with it.

Speaking of the downtown area, did anyone view the "Downtown Friday Night" pictures in the Journal the other day? Notice anything about the event?

How many cars lined the streets in those pictures? How many people were seen in the picture while the lady played the guitar? Six or seven at the new tattoo parlor perhaps? How many people did you see on the sidewalks in those pictures? A crowd at the Triple Moon coffee business?

If one were to judge the event participation by the pictures taken, one could conclude there was little to no interest created by the offerings downtown.

If that is true, then what I have been saying concerning Middletown residents not being interested in the downtown offerings may be true as well. I just don't have any indication that their downtown cultural theme will work despite all the positive stories the Journal publishes. Apparently, the Journal is into the embellishment mentality as they keep trying to put that lipstick on the downtown pig.

One more thing. Has anyone heard anymore about the old Journal building at First and Broad? Thought it was purchased by a private individual who was going to make apartments out of it but haven't heard of any progress. Been under the radar for a while. Update?

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Print Page | Close Window